• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

November 5th: PM2019 086 - Mega Evolution VS Kyodaimax

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Show me the example and I'm good...
Are you kidding me? There are thousands of kids related content that are written extremely well, heck even in Pokemon terms we have DP
I don’t get this reasoning. Making a kids show mature can be good writing if executed properly. It all depends on the execution. And besides a well written ‘mature’ anime is better than a well written kids show anyday.
It's unecessary and stupid. Pokemon is a kids show and can and should be executed as one by concept, I won't mind a side 'mature' series if they want to do one but the main series should keep the same demographic it always has. It doesn't need blood, gore, explicit content, cussing or over edginess and extreme tragedy and pain to be good, that's not what Pokemon is and never should be.
Naaaaaah, you're wrong, Ser, you see... Children are too dense to understand the concept of backup data, for example (even though the plot of that episode relied on Goh's data being transferred from his phone to Sakuragi's PC), so you can't ever write a good story for kids. They are just too dumb to understand it.
*Facepalms*
We still on that I see

LazySpy

Kimty

LazySpy

Kimty
I'm chill dw, just that whole discussion around the data scene is a bit too silly for me now :v
Well, I still consider the lack of backup data a big issue. It also does sorta baffle me that "kids wouldn't get it" was unironically considered a good defense. I guess I shouldn't have brought it up here with you, though, so sorry about that. :v

LazySpy

Kimty
That's just like your opinion bro. A mature pokemon anime could be interesting if executed well.
Exactly and the thing is you don't even need to have blood, gore, etc. to be more mature. Like, you just need to take your story seriously and tackle serious topics which the anime did do already, I'd absolutelly describe SM21 and heck, even last week's episode as "mature".

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
Are you kidding me? There are thousands of kids related content that are written extremely well, heck even in Pokemon terms we have DP

It's unecessary and stupid. Pokemon is a kids show and can and should be executed as one by concept, I won't mind a side 'mature' series if they want to do one but the main series should keep the same demographic it always has. It doesn't need blood, gore, explicit content, cussing or over edginess and extreme tragedy and pain to be good, that's not what Pokemon is and never should be.

*Facepalms*
We still on that I see

DP was 100 times more mature than Journeys, even SM was, when you have your protagonists dancing and smiling all day and being goofs you lose me. I hated it when I was a kid and I don't like it now.

I hate series and narratives that give to the protagonists all they want without almost any roadblock, it's not good narrative, children series or not.

But of course this series is like The Godfather to some of you. It has no flaws, apparently...

Morax

King of heroes
Exactly and the thing is you don't even need to have blood, gore, etc. to be more mature. Like, you just need to take your story seriously and tackle serious topics which the anime did do already, I'd absolutelly describe SM21 and heck, even last week's episode as "mature".
I was asking for something like this :
For context : This fishman pirate called arlong arrives at village and starts taxing the hell out of people. It's either pay or die.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I agree that a more ‘mature’ series doesn’t have to mean one filled with gore or even constant depressing and ‘realistic’ things.

I mean i think the yugioh animes has done a pretty good job in making more mature stories without taking out the fun and cheesiness of it all, even when the premise is as dumb as ‘card games on motorcycles’. Still ended with DM and 5D having some of the most memorable parting finales for me.

And as scummy as the are, konami are actually stupid good in using those feelings for the anime to really market their product.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Yeah but that maturity is still in a show aimed for kids, that's what I want. I don't want the demographic to be deprived of this show coz the concept of Pokémon holds to that demographic

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I agree that a more ‘mature’ series doesn’t have to mean one filled with gore or even constant depressing and ‘realistic’ things.

I mean i think the yugioh animes has done a pretty good job in making more mature stories without taking out the fun and cheesiness of it all, even when the premise is as dumb as ‘card games on motorcycles’. Still ended with DM and 5D having some of the most memorable parting finales for me.

And as scummy as the are, konami are actually stupid good in using those feelings for the anime to really market their product.
Though sometimes it's weird how it can handle certain things (like Yuya somehow ending a class war by winning a card game tournament)

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
Though sometimes it's weird how it can handle certain things (like Yuya somehow ending a class war by winning a card game tournament)
He didn't do it entirely on his own. The Lancers were leading an underground rebellion. Reiji and co were dealing with Jean's insurrection and finally convincing the city's ruling council to throw their hat in with Standard. Shinji's violent ideals stoked a fire in the hearts of the commons.

Yuya brought the hope of change to people. He advocated for peace between people, showed that even the seemingly-useless and weak can make a difference. He slowly ran both sides of the argument over through hard work and by proving his strength, which was key in a society that respects power and ability. And that's not getting into the lore of the Friendship Cup, what the King title means to various people, the mentality the class divide has created in various people, etc.

So it's not like he magically fixed things by winning a duel. He spent the arc fighting against the cynicism and apathy created by the system. Meanwhile, his friends were both behind the scenes and on the front lines, tackling various issues within the system.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I actually think it’s one of their charms that they lean into their own ridiculousness by having everything gets solved by children’s card game. It’s one of their strengths that let them write more ‘mature’ stories but still have it simple and fun enough that kids can still follow along. Since as long as ‘good guys win card games’ everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.