• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

November Plot Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
The problem that the arc had is that there's a lot of story to tell with SM and USUM but there weren't enough chapters to do it because we only get one per month and they had to finish it before SHSW. It's such a shame because it had A LOT of potential to be one of the best with its many interesting characters, relationships and plot elements. I only hope that they fix some of these issues when the volumes come out and add some chapters and pages in-between to expand on some things.

It makes me sad because SM is my favourite game regarding characters and plot so I was expecting something better, but it wasn't bad either so I was just left with wanting a little bit more.

Making the Faba the big bad and taking away all agency Lusamine had as a villain. Making everything Lillie does either scarce, done by the Dex Holders or completely irrelevant. Having Lillie forget about Nebby, having her and Gladion sweep EVERYTHING Lusamine has done under the rug. (Didn't Lillie have a PTSD subplot... that was flat out dropped?)

Half a year passing and NOTHING happening, not having Lusamine's kids be there for the Mother Beast. Having Lillie leave for Kanto off screen and never interacting with the Dex Holders (Or Moon.) After an early chapter.

All Ultra did was take the family issues out of the main focus and giving them better written endings as a trade off (They were still one of the more important parts of the story.) but the Manga... actually tore the family story a new one.

Gladion is the only one of the three that got anything good in this Manga, (Even if the Manga did a better job at explaining Lusamine's madness and making her more sympathetic than what Vanilla SM pulled.) yet he NEVER confronted Lusamine.

This isn't a case of a rushed mess, it's bad writing and mishandling the most important characters of Alola's story.

Last edited:

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Making the Faba the big bad and taking away all agency Lusamine had as a villain. Making everything Lillie does either scarce, done by the Dex Holders or completely irrelevant. Having Lillie forget about Nebby, having her and Gladion sweep EVERYTHING Lusamine has done under the rug. (Didn't Lillie have a PTSD subplot... that was flat out dropped?)

Half a year passing and NOTHING happening, not having Lusamine's kids be there for the Mother Beast. Having Lillie leave for Kanto off screen and never interacting with the Dex Holders (Or Moon.) After an early chapter.

All Ultra did was take the family issues out of the main focus and giving them better written endings as a trade off (They were still one of the more important parts of the story.) but the Manga... actually tore the family story a new one.

Gladion is the only one of the three that got anything good in this Manga, (Even if the Manga did a better job at explaining Lusamine's madness and making her more sympathetic than what Vanilla SM pulled.) yet he NEVER confronted Lusamine.

This isn't a case of a rushed mess, it's bad writing and mishandling the most important characters of Alola's story.
Your simping for Lillie and Lusamine does not make it bad.

Games are releasing way too fast for a small team to handle.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Your simping for Lillie and Lusamine does not make it bad.

Games are releasing way too fast for a small team to handle.

No, but when the Aether Family is the most important part of Alola's story and is the big appeal of Alola's story, then it's natural as a fan of Gen 7 to focus on them before all others.

The Manga stripped most of Lillie's relevance along with Lusamine's agency and while Gladion was handled well, it really bites with how the family was treated in this and we know the Manga has done a LOT better despite the compressed time. Kalos is one example.

In addition, Kusaka ignored Let's Go for the most part, so the games getting released this fast isn't really much of an excuse for one of the more important aspects of the Alola games getting the shaft this badly.

To put in context, the anime had the family interact a lot, Lillie was a key focus during the Aether Arc and while Lusamine wasn't evil in the anime, the narrative makes it VERY clear that most of the problems is still her fault. Even Faba wouldn't have been an issue if she stopped focusing on work for one second and saw something was wrong with Lillie.

Her kids actually confronted the Mother Beast when it came around to it.

Last edited:

e9310103838

I still support the ship of Sou and Shi and believe this will get some screen later. Although Hop is so cute so I can also accept this ship XD

By the way, I noticed that it called Sou and Shi "主人公" (protagonist) in the ad page of this month’s magazine. ;)

No, but when the Aether Family is the most important part of Alola's story and is the big appeal of Alola's story, then it's natural as a fan of Gen 7 to focus on them before all others.

The Manga stripped most of Lillie's relevance along with Lusamine's agency and while Gladion was handled well, it really bites with how the family was treated in this and we know the Manga has done a LOT better despite the compressed time. Kalos is one example.

In addition, Kusaka ignored Let's Go for the most part, so the games getting released this fast isn't really much of an excuse for one of the more important aspects of the Alola games getting the shaft this badly.

To put in context, the anime had the family interact a lot, Lillie was a key focus during the Aether Arc and while Lusamine wasn't evil in the anime, the narrative makes it VERY clear that most of the problems is still her fault. Even Faba wouldn't have been an issue if she stopped focusing on work for one second and saw something was wrong with Lillie.

Moon is the female protagonist of this chapter, so she should get attention first obviously.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I still support the ship of Sou and Shi and believe this will get some screen later. Although Hop is so cute so I can also accept this ship XD

By the way, I noticed that it called Sou and Shi "主人公" (protagonist) in the ad page of this month’s magazine. ;)

Moon is the female protagonist of this chapter, so she should get attention first obviously.
But at the expense of what should have been the major character Lillie?

At the expense of doing the things Lillie did in the games and taking all her roles?

Moni_22

But at the expense of what should have been the major character Lillie?

At the expense of doing the things Lillie did in the games and taking all her roles?
I will still keep my believe that all this happened because of the short time we had to do the whole story. SM is probably the heaviest game in terms of story and we didn't have enough chapters to tell it. There are many, many characters with a role in the story, so some of them like Lillie suffered from little screentime, and there were other plot points that were done off-screen. They just needed more time to construct a better and longer arc like the ones we had before. It's a such a shame that the pace has been like this lately. That's why I hope we get at least some extra chapters in the volumes to expand on some characters.

Lucky3

XY was actually pretty much as long as XY if you don't count the extra chapters (which don't really add much. hell, over half of them are Korrina's adventures.). The real difference was that the XY games have far less plot in it than SM, and also the authors didn't try to cram everything in (compare the relevance of gym leaders in kalos to the captains in Alola, or the battle chatelaines being completely absent in XY vs Ryuki getting shoved in at the end of SM).

SwSh has even less plot than XY in the games and though the pace seemed slow in the beginning in volume 1, it's progressed at a pretty quick pace since chapter 8 or so, so it should be fine in that regard.

Moni_22

SwSh has even less plot than XY in the games and though the pace seemed slow in the beginning in volume 1, it's progressed at a pretty quick pace since chapter 8 or so, so it should be fine in that regard.
Yeah, SWSH had a slow start but it seems to be going faster now and getting more interesting. It doesn't have that much plot until the final part so Kusaka can have more liberties just like with the XY arc.

Remmie

Indeed.

Considering the anime made Lillie so important she stripped away most of the screentimes of the rest of the gang, Mallow, Lana, Kiawe and Sophocles, I think that her not having so much of an impact in the mnga was a nice balance, and well, it's not like she does more in the manga than in the game, she does her role of getting Nebby away, tags along the protagonists and then once the issue with her family is over (with her not fighting anyone) well they can get rid of her after, given Gladion and her mom do more and battles.

He deals with what he has to cover, he took forever to finish BW2 so.

The anime airs a 22 minutes episode every week compared to the manga, of course the anime does more, what exactly do you expect by making that comparision? The anime gets all the time in the world to do everything it wants, the manga doesn't have that luxury, and not with the speed the games are released, especially when they do a remake of past gens. So it's kind of relatable.

horrahforyou

Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life
I wonder how can Spe handle the Eternatus plot? I hope the Spe version will be more interesting compare to the SWSH games.

Moni_22

I wonder how can Spe handle the Eternatus plot? I hope the Spe version will be more interesting compare to the SWSH games.
I predict they're gonna mix in the postgame story of the two brothers too somehow. They have to put that bit somewhere and having it after Eternatus like in the games would be weird. Since that's connected with Zacian and Zamazenta as well, I think we'll have a mix of both plots like the SM arc did with Lusamine and Necrozma.

Status
Not open for further replies.