• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Now that Project Mew is over, what are your thoughts on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be no such thing.
It was just a random scene in the opening that had nothing to do with the show.
Recall that in the same OP we had "Mega Lucario vs G-max Charizard" which never happened.
And who says that Mega Lucario vs. Gmax Charizard can't happen in a rematch in the last episode of Journeys closing with an attack between those two mons and remaining unfinished?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
It's like Journeys , it could have been much better.

But it's lazy. Boring and dull.

Could have been better with a villain, an antagonistic force.

And hey Gary did sh*t, well he throw water to a Groudon.

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
I find it funny how Moltres and Articuno were Project Mew missions but Zapdos wasn't, since his episode came much earlier than it was established.

vondecayle

I would give it 0.000002 out of 100
At least the PM participants all had their clothes on, that’s a progress all right
Do you think PM arc was better than the Alola league?

Trey pokes

I think both arcs were good in their own way. Didn't need to be Kalos league level tier to blow us away.

Alola Adventurer

A mixed bag. It should've started around the first 10-20 episodes or so instead of Episode 68 so Goh would've
had a chance of actually failing a few missions for the suspense factor before qualifying for a Chaser.
As much as I like Ash, I feel like he should've been prohibited from being Goh's backup at all
if he wasn't allowed to help in the last two missions. There were a few missions I liked but the rest were boring.
While there were some bits I liked about the Mew expedition arc, its plot was a dumpster fire and made no sense.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Overall, I liked the arc. It was unique and gave us the opportunity to revisit regions and people that we haven't seen in a while. I liked that it gave Goh a trajectory to follow, and that his rivalry with Gary both drove his growth and highlighted some of his character flaws that he had to overcome. His inability to put things behind him and work with/take direction from Gary really hurt the group during the Articuno raid, for instance, and even though the mission was ultimately successful (find and battle Articuno), the blame for the final results falls on Goh.

I think waiting a year (or not coming up with the idea until the 2nd season) made this arc stronger narratively, even if parts of this arc were rushed. It would have been hard to believe that Goh would have been suited for PM if they had launched this in the first season.

Asahi is also one of my favorite character concepts/designs from JN.

But like everything in JN, it had its share of execution issues. My biggest beefs with the arc is the resolution and how the Professor and his two professional chasers were chronically underutilized and the final episode being rushed. I'm fine with the outcome - it just needed more time.

Yce288

Grass type FTW
I struggle to consider it "equal" to the PWC given how much shorter it is in comparison, but hey, that's what happens when we don't learn from XY's mistakes and wait an entire year to give someone a tangible goal.
Serena's goal was better than Iris' and Cilan's goals since she at least did something remarkable.
Iris's goal is to become a Dragon Master yet the only dragon type Pokemon she caught was Dragonite and Axew fully evolved off-screen and Cilan's goal is to become a S-class Pokemon Connoisseur.
Overall, thanks to Project Mew, Go stopped catching a lot of Pokemon in a single episode which took away a lot of focus from Ash which is great.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Ooh boy
To start with, I think Project Mew and the concept of Trial missions as a companion goal was genius. It's a really interesting concept, and if executed well in next series I really believe Trial Missions can easily surpass contests as the best side companion goal. It's the best goal to utilise Pokemon goals and adventures you know
Back to Project Mew, it was a great direction for Goh but it came 20 episodes too late imo. It should have began after the DD arc ended and the Mewtwo episode, with Eternatus pokedex entry leading to Oak recommending Goh to PM rather than the lacklustre Suicune episode
I think Goh development and episodes before DD were necessary to set his character up, so wouldn't want Project Mew to begin way before that. Right after DD would have been perfect

Also, Goh got SHAFTED for Ash and PWC. Now, I am NOT saying PWC should have received any less resources or time or episodes, just that I wish Goh could receive even 1/4th of it. The finale was very underwhelming. It was rushed, shoddy animation and presentation, with an interesting idea to tie into Goh's arc so far that didn't feel as beautifully illustrated as it should have been.

Besides the finale tho, I think every Project Mew episode was top tier. The Moltres episode introducing the concept was AMAZING and also, the decision of introducing Gary and having Gary be Goh's rival was GENIUS. It fit so well, and in general one of the BEST things about PM was the character writing it had. The clash with Tsurugi vs Gary vs Goh vs Tokio was really interesting to me, and the Articuno episode is probably one of my fav because of how well it was illustrated.

The Alolan Ninetails episode was fun, the Volcarona episode was absolutely old school Pokemon adventures, the Kingdra episode utilising Drake was nice, the Battle royale episode again was really good and so were the regi battles.

I also really liked the 2 rivals we had introduced in the last 2 missions, they just came too late.

And that's where the major problem of PM comes from, it didn't have time to BREATHE. It only got 5 missions, so a lot of stuff felt rushed, and then the finale failed to properly utilise on the excellent character writing and setup done to give more catharsis, failed to properly utilise a great raid battle with all the mons they caught (the regi plotline ended up being freaking useless and only used as a game reference bruh) and failed to properly execute the concept it had for Goh's arc finish, which was nice and fitting imo

Overall, I think PM was pretty solid with a weak finale and was too rushed at times due to starting late and having less episodes, but brilliantly used Gary and had some great writing. I'd place it above showcases but below Contests

It's a boy.
Where did you get this "girl"?
Apparently it's high grade humor to continuously misgender someone to make fun of them

ShuckFam

There was a good chance to have a major plot twist. Mew already seemed kinda evil, it would have made sense if he was actually a demon as some had prophesized. Goh could have caught Mew but only because his heart was as black as Mew's.

Goh then could have casually brought up how fun it would be to battle Ash to the champ himself and how he has been inspired to enter the PWC. Goh smokes Ash's Pikachu in an official 1vs1 and he reveals it was his plan all along to dethrone Ash and Mew pops out his Pokeball, demonically laughing in unison with Goh.

Ash is shocked and angry, and all of his Pokemon come out of their balls to vent their anger. Mew beats all of them up (except Lucario because he was somewhere else at the time), and he knocks Ash out too, before teleporting him to Paldea and wiping his memory.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm thoroughly disappointed in how that subplot turned out. I wish that Gou's goal had simply involved him capturing every common Pokemon he could get his hands on rather than Mew being his ultimate aim considering that it all led up to such an anti-climax from my viewpoint.

Hu Tao

Serebii Lurker for at least half a decade
Lol Groudon and Kyogre being both Mew threw me off and just BS writing but whatever. I remember one of the Decolore Islands fillers featured a Zoroark disguised as both a Nurse Joy and an Audino, but the Zoroark couldn't be both at the same time. So Nurse Joy calls Audino and goes to the back, then Audino comes out, and vice versa. Anyways the Groudon and Kyogre battles were okay for a 30 second fight each I suppose. Wasted just like the Champions were but eh.

PM had potential like a lot of the ideas thrown around in JN. There's a lot of interesting set pieces, but the lackluster conclusion and the introduction of it being too late left little screentime and just ended up wasting the elements. Gary and his Blastoise are back. Regigigas and the Regis are related to the origin of Pokemon or something, and the opening featuring that Regigigas with the titans was teasing us. Urshifu Trainers, Celebi Trainer, and catgirl + her boyfriend were fine enough characters that could have been explored through PM (the 2 rivals are also the first mean rivals since Best Wishes!). Mustard could have possibly appeared due to the two people having Urshifu. Because Crown Tundra was visited, Calyrex could have appeared and made a good 2-3 episode mission. There were also theories of connections to Team Rocket because Mew = Mewtwo and Mewtwo in anime = Team Rocket, so if the anime wanted an idea for a finale, it was right there.

So uh what we got nearing the end of Project Mew was funny Articuno one shotting everything. Also a funny Mew one shotting everything and then shortly leaving. The Regis trial was one of my favorite PM episodes (very low bar to cross) but that episode got like 7 Galarmons shoved in and the rivals got wasted there. Also the Regigigas just came to say hi to its children and then left...? I thought that we would get a Goh + Gary + Urshifu Trainers all Gigantamaxing their aces to fight Regigigas who is controlling the other Regis like that one other time in DP, but that didn't happen.

Tl;dr it was okay enough but I will only rewatch some of my fav episodes. Lots of wasted potential with the most offensive of the bunch being Regigigas only appearing for like 5 seconds instead of its implied big role like the opening suggested.

Alolan Glaceon

Glaceon master
It was very badly done. Goh should have had that goal from the beginning and not just say "I'll catch Mew" and that's it. They should show his development, rethinking and doing it slowly. Yes, in the other Red series he also caught them all, but it looked different there and here it could also be solved in a deeper way. Instead of giving him a snort at the Arcticuno raid, he could use some lessons without Ash babysiting him almost constantly. The Project itself should be completely different, not two episodes just the introduction to the island itself, the sense of danger and thoughts of each of the characters to bring them closer to the viewer to empathize. Why do I need great graphics and action where the characters will have character at the level of a potato? Even the other way around, because the characters can save the series, but if both fail, it's a mistake. Mew itself was also average and not mystically like Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.