• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Now that the Masters have been revealed

Badfemalecompanion

Paul for Iris, Misty for Diantha and we'd have the real best 8. I'm loving your Sakura profile pic btw, I'm a big fan too...

TurboAceK

I'm probably in the minority where I like the PWC and think it's fine for the most part, not perfect at all but its good

The ranking system is fine, outside of the off screen battles I didn't have a problem with the actual progression Ash had

I mean look at this:
JN018 Ash vs Vasquez
JN025 Ash vs Korrina
JN034 Ash vs Bea
JN039 Ash vs Bea 2
JN051 Ash vs Dozer
JN060 Ash vs Rinto
JN065 Ash vs Iris
JN077 Ash vs Volkner
JN085-86 Ash vs Bea 3
JN099 Ash vs Marnie
JN0104 Ash vs Drasna
JN0109 Ash vs Raihan
The gaps are confusing sometimes.

As KenzeyEevee pointed out the gaps between battles weren't consistent which I don't think it's the PWC problem but more of the episode order and structure (A Journeys problem)

For structure an example is between Bea 2 and Dozer we had the Darkest Day arc then filler episodes (Chloe got Eevee there but yeah) which took many episodes away from PWC and made the gap wider than it should have felt as despite Ash and his Pokemon being involved in the DD there wasn't any PWC for those 12ish episodes whereas at least Goh still had Goh episodes making it feel very Goh heavy

And an example for episode order was the first Bea battle where Ash lost then the next episode was Goh getting Pikachu? Then the Flygon episode was relevant as Ash was down, then we got the Alola episode that focused on Goh? Then the fossil episode with Aerodactyl?
Like imagine if the episodes went 34(loss) 36(depressed Ash) 39(Ash and Bea tie)
Then 35(Goh catches Pikachu) 37 (Alola) 38 (Aerodactyl) 40(Zapdos)
We would of gotten 3 episodes tied to Ash and Riolu vs Bea then 4 focused on Goh building up to the battle with Zapdos
Not perfect but I remember the jarring reaction from episode 35 Ash to 36 Ash was weird and I think episode order would have fixed that

And outside of getting rid of filler as that's the easy answer actual fixes I would make would be:

Having more of the one off battles like vs Dozer that gave Farfetch’d time to shine, more of these would have been good as I think even just having moments like the Pikachu vs Clawitzer battle where the battle was short it helped keep the viewer reminded of the PWC as even that episode had Korinna vs Ash in it so that could of been the formula for some of the Goh or Chloe or filler focused episodes
And Wallace kind of did this but more for jokes but you can take that structure as well or like the Kricketina episode where the episode focused on Goh but Ash got to battle her too

Another fix is to make the 1v1 matches after the normal class at least 2v2
  • Like Dozer could have been the Dracovish debut match as Ash caught it the previous episode
  • Rinto could have given anyone like Gengar or Dragonite another battle if it was 2v2
  • Marnie could have given us Pikachu vs Morpeko and even another battle since it was Ultra/Hyper class
Etc...

Last fix I had is to have done more of those build up episodes they've been doing since Farfetch’d (arguably Riolu got some)
Like I think the build up episodes they did for Lucario vs Bea, Gengar vs Marnie, Sirfetch’d vs Rinto were great imo and no matter how you feel about the actual episodes that was the smart decision to focus on a Pokemon then that Pokemon has a major match after that development.
And I think maybe having that more throughout the series would have been good like imagine more build up for Dragonite vs Iris, Dracovish vs Drasna, Pikchu vs Volkner (can argue Z moves were foreshadowed) etc... wouldn't increase the actual PWC battle number but would make them have a bigger presence

So all in all early on just fix the episode order in early Journeys as despite what it might actually be it felt more Goh focused than Ash focused in the first half
And later on in Journeys no more 1v1s only 2v2s+ to give the Pokemon more time and screen time and raises the stakes

I do like the other ideas others said like double battles, reserves etc... I just think those are more optional than a “fix”

Ryker101

Have Ash use his reserves for sure, at least in the higher tiers. And have more varied opponents type wise

Probs be more consistent with ranking jumps too. Don’t do super class battles offscreen as well ofc

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I remember some people saying that those were complaining about ash’s quick rise through normal and super class for the ranking didn’t understand how rankings work and that his progress will massively slow down hyper class. So much for that lol. Hyper class was by far the fastest with him already being at the top of it in 4 fights.

They really should’ve had more battles, with more existing game characters instead of rando cotd that nobody cares about. Especially super class which was atrocious. It should’ve felt like a like a ling grind up, rather than something that was forgotten most of the time and then rushed at the end.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I remember some people saying that those were complaining about ash’s quick rise through normal and super class for the ranking didn’t understand how rankings work and that his progress will massively slow down hyper class. So much for that lol. Hyper class was by far the fastest with him already being at the top of it in 4 fights.

They really should’ve had more battles, with more existing game characters instead of rando cotd that nobody cares about. Especially super class which was atrocious. It should’ve felt like a like a ling grind up, rather than something that was forgotten most of the time and then rushed at the end.
They should have brought back characters like AJ and Giselle as well.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer

Yeah the super class was badly handled and honestly the weakest link of PWC which really brings it down
I don't really have that much of a problem with Hyper Class writing wise despite Ash having admittedly a fast paced ascension, but Super Class dropped the ball so hard
I also really think Hyper Class could have been less rushed if we got 4 years instead of 3, as hyped as I am for SV, they shouldn't have been this year

tsunamimijumaru

Since the Marnie battle Ash has been having a fight every 5 episodes they should have been doing this before. Every fight in the PWC should have been its own episode rather than random 1 v 1 with Pikachu against some unknown trainer. How can they rank this man up 500+ ranks off screen

Badfemalecompanion

Everyone talks about their disappointment that the likes of Tobias and Harrison didn't appear but where is the love for Jon Dickson, champion of Johto?

Jon_Dickson.png

Also, is it safe to assume that Iris beat Flint to make the top 8? Since Flint dropped from 6th to out of the top 8 entirely and Iris leapfrogged Raihan.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Everyone talks about their disappointment that the likes of Tobias and Harrison didn't appear but where is the love for Jon Dickson, champion of Johto?

Jon_Dickson.png

Also, is it safe to assume that Iris beat Flint to make the top 8? Since Flint dropped from 6th to out of the top 8 entirely and Iris leapfrogged Raihan.
Yes Iris beat Flint