1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

NU Metagame Discussion Thread

Discussion in '6th Gen' started by Ragnarok, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Ragnarok

Ragnarok #BeastMode Staff Member Super Mod

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

So yeah, I meant it when I said I'd start playing NU once Claydol dropped here. I know nothing about the tier so I may as well ask, how significant are these drops for NU? Heliolisk, Virizion and Quagsire all were cool but hurting in RU viability. And I know for a fact that NU has very few spinners (and just lost Kabutops) so I imagine Claydol will actually have a use here not be complete deadweight.

This is just theorizing though, I still know nothing about this tier outside of "Mega Steelix is good."

3. KillerDraco

KillerDraco The Enforcer Staff Member Super Mod

Stall can have a tough time.

Watch out for a FWG core with Typhlosion and Feraligatr having starring roles as the F and the W. Choice Typhlosion can be pretty nasty; Choice Specs Eruption has a frightening amount of power and bust down walls, while its Scarf set can clean up pretty well too. I'd almost classify Feraligatr as "NU Haxorus", in a way; it can run either SD or DD, to either absolutely crush attempts at stall and wallbreak with ease, or just sweep outright. Xatu and its ever-annoying Magic Bounce is pretty common as well. And as you already know, Mega Steelix pretty much runs the tier.

4. Mye

Mye Someone has to win..

Yeah, especially now that mega-glalie is randomly out of the tier...

In all seriousness, I'm actually kinda happy with the recent tier shifts. Kabutops and accelgor leaving are a huge plus, as both were rather annoying to deal with (especially with some of the teams I saw running weak armor/swords dance sets for a free +2/+1). Having heliolisk in the tier should be a fun new toy to play with, as I'm almost certain it'll fill the same role accelgor had only a bit better. Rest are rather "meh", but should see some use as both virizion and quagsire are decent m-steelix checks and have pretty interesting movepools.

5. cryuel

cryuel Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for asking what might be a question coming from someone not terribly familiar with the tier, but is PU considered to be a part of NU, technically? (i.e. is it a legitimate tier that is not part of NU, or just a conceptual "tier for fun" just because; obviously there's a subcategory displayed on smogon called "PU", therefor it "exists", but that's not wherein the technicality of my question lies) Thanks for any explanation on this! :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. KillerDraco

PU is basically the NU of NU. Or in a simpler manner of speaking, it is a separate tier below NU. It was recently created because there were so many Pokemon in NU that even by NU standards, there were some Pokemon who just barely warranted consideration on a team. Basically it gives Pokemon who aren't worth using even in NU a chance to be used... and even then there's still a lot who aren't worth using even in PU, lol.

7. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded An enigma

Which is why FU should have been more than a metagame of the month lol.
    Even if it was Gogoat, Fraxure and Electabuzz spam lol.

8. cryuel

cryuel Well-Known Member

Thanks for answering this. :)
    That begs the question... are there percentages at all of how many people participate in the PU tier (in contrast to other Smogon tiers), or in the FU tier?

9. Mr.Y

Mr.Y O)_(O

Sttelixite and Heliolisk are banned from NU now. Gatr will probably follow them pretty soon.

10. KillerDraco

Fixed this for you.

Feraligatr was a top tier threat and one of the most used Pokemon in NU before getting Sheer Force, and now that Sheer Force is legal, there really is no chance of it staying in NU. It basically got a free increase in power, and the elimination of Life Orb recoil on some of its most common attacks as well. NU can kiss Feraligatr goodbye in a hurry.

11. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

Finally took the initiative to actually play NU now that the scary stuff is gone. I'm not sure what I think of it since I have no idea what anything runs in the tier, and lower ladder isn't helping that. That being said aside from the fact that I like Claydol being a solid hazard setter/remover, I'm liking Klinklang as a sweeper. Shift Gear/Gear Grind/Return/Substitute is pretty awesome for a late-game sweeper and that typing helps it a lot defensively. And a 100 base power STAB that breaks Sub/Sash/Sturdy is pretty fantastic, just a shame it's got that unfortunate 85 accuracy to deal with. I guess I should be thankful that I waited for Steelix to leave.