• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Numerous laptop problems?-

The Thrashmeister

<-- Made of awesome.
Recently, my laptop computer has been encountering a number of worrying problems, all at once. I've had it for a year and a half.

-Wireless internet capabilities shut down without warning. The router and modem are all fine, there's just something wrong with the computer. The wireless internet indicator button on my taskbar goes from working internet to limited connectivity (which at this point renders internet completely useless) and then to no connectivity whatsoever. After this happens, whenever I try to find my network again, it keeps saying that there are no networks in range, which is obviously not true. The only thing I can do to remedy this is to restart the computer. I would say this happens about once a day. I don't think it's yet happened again after restarting my computer.

-Sometimes when I turn on the computer, I would say about 75% of the time, it displays an error message (reminiscent of a blue screen of death, except the background color is black) which tells me to press F1 to continue running, and after I do press F1, it says "Operating System Not Found." Even though if I restart the computer again, it runs as normal (although it might take a few tries to get it working, the problem is never permanent).

-The exhaust fan is stating to sound weird. It whirs smoothly and normally when the computer is running, but when I turn it on or shut it down, the fan makes this sort of... I don't know how to describe it, ratcheting noise? It doesn't whir smoothly when I turn on/off the computer anymore.

I really don't have any idea what changed to bring these problems about, but my laptop is significantly more crappy than it was four weeks ago. Anyone know how to fix this?

The Thrashmeister

<-- Made of awesome.
Yes today's new laptop has many hardware bugs.'
Like for overheated CPU and VGA, also some have problem with the sounds.
Laptop are portable PC's but the cost is too much high.

...How is that relevant?

You could send it to the manufaturer to get it repaired.

That's pretty much my last resort. I want to know if I can fix the problems, but if I tried anything, I'll send it to get fixed.

.Mac

<-- ^_^;
It sounds like you may have 1 or multiple components that are failing. The top 3 that could be failing are your hard drive, Wireless adapter and the Logic Board. In any case I would definitely advise that you back up any Data you feel is important and send it back to the manufacturer for evaluation and repair. While you will be out of a computer for a week or so, it would still be better than fighting it to get it to work.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I agree with .Mac here.

It appears that stuff is failing and could be very fatal if you don't do a thing. It sounds like it's been overheating for some time.

PC and laptops do generate some heat, for example my PC's Hard disk can seen at 50C. And if the Vents are blocked, computers gets hot faster.

This may help a bit, but in this case, it may be just give you time to get your data off it. Grab a Vacuum cleaner, you need the hose and possibly the soft furniture bush attachment on it. Hoover your Laptop and hold it on the vents and let it suck for a few seconds.

I build my PCs.. and I have experienced what a layer of dust does to a PC's Cooling vents First hand.

Ice Dingo

This may help a bit, but in this case, it may be just give you time to get your data off it. Grab a Vacuum cleaner, you need the hose and possibly the soft furniture bush attachment on it. Hoover your Laptop and hold it on the vents and let it suck for a few seconds.

I would actually only do this if you really need to. Static electricity could build up and make your laptop worse than it is. But then it is only the outside so maybe it would do nothing.

But it sounds like your hard disk is failing. The ratcheting noise you hear might be the disk and it can be why the laptop isn't finding the OS sometimes.
I'd copy whatever I need on to USB/External Hard Disk. If you still have a warranty for it just send it in for repair, it's probably the easiest way.
If the warranty has expired then you might have to open up your laptop and put a new drive in (and reinstall windows) which is probably harder then sending it in for repair.
If you can't do this, a local computer shop should be able to do something.

The Thrashmeister

<-- Made of awesome.
I agree with .Mac here.

It appears that stuff is failing and could be very fatal if you don't do a thing. It sounds like it's been overheating for some time.

PC and laptops do generate some heat, for example my PC's Hard disk can seen at 50C. And if the Vents are blocked, computers gets hot faster.

I build my PCs.. and I have experienced what a layer of dust does to a PC's Cooling vents First hand.

Could it also just be that my laptop's vent is ridiculously small compared to other PC vents? I dunno, but ever since I've got it, it was always hotter than my old laptop. And the old one had a bigger vent. Only a small corner of my laptop is dedicated to cooling so that may be a contributor... but I'll try the vacuum thing anyway.

I would actually only do this if you really need to. Static electricity could build up and make your laptop worse than it is. But then it is only the outside so maybe it would do nothing.

But it sounds like your hard disk is failing. The ratcheting noise you hear might be the disk and it can be why the laptop isn't finding the OS sometimes.
I'd copy whatever I need on to USB/External Hard Disk. If you still have a warranty for it just send it in for repair, it's probably the easiest way.
If the warranty has expired then you might have to open up your laptop and put a new drive in (and reinstall windows) which is probably harder then sending it in for repair.
If you can't do this, a local computer shop should be able to do something.

I think I am definitely gonna back up my data for now. If the problem continues or gets worse in the future, I'll take it into Office Depot or something (or send it to the manufacturer if the warranty's still good, not sure if it is though).

Warhawk360

Bad SPPF attendance.
The computer might be overheating with the combination of a 'dangerous' virus. I'd send it back to the manufacturer and see if they could fix it.