• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nuzlocke Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorg

Spongetastic
Hey guys, many of you out there enjoy a little challenge while the play through of the Pokemon games. On serebii there is currently the scramble challenge, but if you are looking for something even more challenging and skillful, look here.

The Nuzlocke challenge was all started and created by one person, who records his adventures here. I first noticed this thread on another Pokemon Forum i am a member of and am currently in the middle of my own Nuzlocke challenge.

These are the only rules that are compulsory:

Nickname all Pokemon
Catch first Pokemon on each route
Faint = Death

Here are the rules you may obey throughout the storyline:

1. On each route/cave/town/tower/dungeon you may only catch one Pokemon and this Pokemon may MAY ONLY BE THE FIRST POKEMON you see!
2. If you don't have any Pokeballs to catch the first Pokemon you see, tough **** you arn't allowed to catch it.
3. If a Pokemon of yours faints in or out of battle YOU MUST RELEASE IT INSTANTLY AND NEVER USE IT AGAIN. Or you can put it in a box labeled 'Dead' as a memento or for post game/once you finish the challenge.
4. If your party is full and you catch a Pokemon, you may send it to your box as a backup, incase one of your Pokemon faints, it can be replaced (and insanely grinded).
5. For the hard outs, no using any items in or out of battle (and yes, that includes antidotes, this also includes hold items. You can still use Pokeballs but you must find them, not buy them). For the easy going people, you may use any items, but only those you find, you cannot buy any items from anywhere. You can choose whether you can use revives or not.
6. You MUST nickname all of your Pokemon to grow a bond with them. This will also break your heart when they die (hehehe).
7. If you wipe out (all party Pokemon faint) then you must release/put them in box.
8. If all of your Pokemon die, then you must start again, you lose!
9. If doing this on HG/SS, and a Pokemon is left on 1 health because it 'survived the poisoning' it is dead.
10. Have fun! Post your adventure in this thread, and even make comics to go with it if you wish!
11. You must have your battle change option set to set, not shift. This means you can't change out your Pokemon before your opponent does.

This challenge is meant to be harsh and fun at the same time. Try not to grind too much and make sure you don't just train your starter. Also, please post here whether you are taking the challenge or not, i want to know how everyone is doing. Please also post updates, with your current party, levels, boxed Pokemon, dead Pokemon and how far into the game you are.

Good luck to everyone taking the challenge and please post your updates especially if you are doing some comics. And any questions just post here and i'll get back to you. I've probably forgotten some stuff so i will edit this post soon. Good luck! (also mention what game you are playing on and what rules you are using. Just copy mine.)

Wow, im surprised no-one has posted here yet. This challenge is incredibly popular on other forums... alwell. Anyway, for people that at least look at this thread, read some of the comics at the link at the top of the page because personaly they are awesome :)

Last edited:

duffman

I got bored of the catch em all challenge in Platinum, so I went out and bought SS today, and have been doing the Nuzlocke challenge with. I'll probably break protocol for the Lengendaries, but until then I'll keep it up. I chose totodile. Since I had to go without Pokeballs for the first three routes, my first catch was a Hoppip that knew splash and synthesis, it's been a pain, but I now have a Totodile, Hoppip, and Geodude, and am about to challenge the first Gym Leader (Falkner.)

I'll be posting in this thread with my progress when I come to crucial plot points in the game.

Wish me luck.

-Duffman

Virtuo06

I am going to do this on Emerald, but I need to clarify a few facts first:

1. when you enter the boundries of a city (when the city sign pops up) and eixt again (when the Route sign pops up) does it count as entering and can you catch a pokemon?

Thats all. I am going to do the Nuzlocke challange, using only picked up potions, just to make it a litte harder and easier at the same time. As soon as I get the answer to that question, wish me luck!

-Xu-

I am going to do this on Emerald, but I need to clarify a few facts first:

1. when you enter the boundries of a city (when the city sign pops up) and eixt again (when the Route sign pops up) does it count as entering and can you catch a pokemon?

Thats all. I am going to do the Nuzlocke challange, using only picked up potions, just to make it a litte harder and easier at the same time. As soon as I get the answer to that question, wish me luck!

I don't think so, think its the first time you enter a route and that's the only time you can catch.

Virtuo06

Nuzlocke Emerald Challenge: Log Entry 1: Getting started!

First, lets note the personal rule before I get too indepth:

1. I am allowing found potions, and nothing else. Pokemon centers are also allow to refresh any unfainted pokemon.

Thats it. Now on with the show....

Start. Chose boy, and named him Nuzlock (for obvious reasons) and went out on the adventure of Nuzlocke. When starters came up, I got a Mild Mudkip nicknamed Keddan. Not fantastic, but good enough. First few battles were good, no deaths yet. Route 101 and 103 cannot be caught from, but Route 102 netted me a lovely Adamant Zigzagoon, which I named Devic. Next encounter, I found a ruddy Seedot. Grrr... Nearly killed Devic with Bind.

After a couple more near death encounters, I leveled up Devic to a reasonable amount, and was able to continue. Got to Petalburg without anyone dying and saved. Phew, this is harder than I thought. I might take a while longer to finish this.... but I won't give up now! At the end of every log entry, I will state my current team at the time of posting. Tell me if I can improve, and wisk me some luck for the first gym.

Current Team

Keddan (Mudkip), LV9
Devic (Zigzagoon), LV7

Zorg

Spongetastic
Yay, people finally started this. And yes, virtuo, only the first time you ever go on a route, like Xu said. I recently finished a Soul silver nuzlocke challenge with easy rules, and got so bored of training in victory road, that i just gave up, but i still continued into Kanto and such.

Hope duffman and Virtuo and hopefully koosbane have fun while doing the challenge!

Virtuo06

Just a little note here....from Thursday Night GMT I will not be able to post here as often, as I will be going elsewhere. To a place with no internets connection....I think. I'll just have to find out myself. You'll know if I don't or not, but I thought I would tell you guys in advance!

duffman

Well, I tried the challenge, but I just can't give up pokemon I've trained. I lucked out and assembled an awesome team Crobat (Crowbar), Quilava (Ghostrider), Nidoking (Banner), Ampharos (Gunter), the red Gyarados (Mushu), and Sudowoodo (Petra).

The only 'dead' Pokemon I got to was Togepi (I was really looking forward to a Togekiss,) but when my Quilava got KOd by that goddamn Miltank, I just gave up, mostly because I wasn't committed enough to retrain new guys.

The remnant of my Nuzlocke challenge is that I'll only take the first Pokemon that I run into per area, and I wish everyone else luck in their endeavors.

Roach

In America!
This looks interesting. I think I will start one on Emerald to see how it turns out. If it goes well I might do one on SS too.

Displeased Owl

NCTH Leader
lol and i was just about to start a thread about this!

I'm partway through mine on FireRed, in Pokemon Tower with:
Heavy the Wartortle, Fisty II the Hitmonchan (in honour of fisty the machop who died in rock tunnel), Casparia the Vileplume, Flamo the Flareon, Megahorny2 the Nidoking and Tom the Raticate in the range 26-34. Not bad!

I'm doing this with the mandatory rules in effect + no healing outside a pokemon centre, wish me luck!

tom-tom

Furret <3
Well this is certainly something I will do. But why is it called The Nuzlocke Challenge?

Ahh my fiance told me about this.

I'm afraid i get too attached to my pokes to label them "Dead" however it is an interesting idea. Perhaps when i get a copy of HG i will try it as the more i think about it the more i realise that i barely ever faint until Miltank so it may be worth a try.

Question, are you allowed to trade for the machop in the in game trade or the Onix?

Just asking supposing if someone finds a bellsprout in that particular route or something.

Zorg

Spongetastic
But why is it called The Nuzlocke Challenge?
For the original person that created this challenge, the first Pokemon he caught was a Seedot, so i guess Nuzlocke comes from Nuzleaf.

Question, are you allowed to trade for the machop in the in game trade or the Onix?

Yes, but take the in game onix trade for example. The bellsprout you catch to trade for it must be the first Pokemon you find on the route, and the Onix counts as your 1 Pokemon from that city, but you also get the egg with Togepi in it which you must get to progress through the game, so in this instance, you cannot get the Onix, or else you cannot progress through the game.

Skinwalker

Ahh my fiance told me about this.

I'm afraid i get too attached to my pokes to label them "Dead" however it is an interesting idea.

That's the idea. You need to be careful with your pokemon because of what they mean to you. And if you're doing a comic or a recorded run it creates more of a meaningful story...

I really like the challenge, but it's weird, the flaws in the new gen games make it hard to play them without Nuzlocke helping me plow through...

The only official rules from the original post are the first catch, faint=dead and nicknames. The rest are just personal rules really, you decide for yourself.

mewfanforlife

I came across this on another forum and started one today on Sapphire. So far, I only have Treeko because my Poochyena criticaled when trying to catch a Lotad and then was criticaled by a Zigzagoon and died. RIP Marcia

bulbasaur14

Bulbasaur line ftw
me and my mate started one on leaf green and fire red respectivly

my current team

Brute Root - Venesaur - level 32
Tyson - Primape - Level 30
Falcon - Pidgeotto - Level 30
Rocky V - Gravellar - Level 31
Mozilla - Vulpix - Level 21

currently in pokemon tower at lavendar town

Badges - 3
Deaths - 3 (weedle,drowzee,diglett)

im having alot of fun with this challenge and i will post regular updates for you guys

Zorg

Spongetastic
Nice work to both of you guys posting.

Just here to say im gonna do a Scramblocke challenge on my soul silver, which is simply a scramble challenge but when someone dies, they're gone for good and am currently getting 12 pokemon in the scramble thread in case any of you guys want to give me a pokemon.

tom-tom

Furret <3
Well this is certainly something I will do. But why is it called The Nuzlocke Challenge?
Well I have started it now! But it is in Fire Red, not a 4th gen game.

So far:
-Name: RED
-3 Badges
-13:06 play time
-25 Pokedex

My team:
;006; Charles lv. 36
;051; Doug lv. 36
;024; Neylan lv. 33
;045; Fifi lv. 34
;085; SpartanCHKN lv. 33
;134; Kenneth lv. 36

R.I.P. Box:
;046; Lenny lv. 11 (trained two levels, got out of Mt. Moon, Spearow used peck it's a critical hit!...damn)
;020; Ace lv. 28 (first Pokemon i caught :'(, it happened in Rock Tunnel I wasn't paying that much attention. I battled some dude with a Slowpoke, I used Hyper Fang and missed, he used Confusion I get confused. I hurt myself in confusion, I am left with 20 hp. Next turn, I hurt myself in confusion and am left with 5 hp, confusion is the death of Ace.)

Normal Box:
;021; Katy Perry lv. 13
;012; Seth lv. 28
;015; Ephrum lv. 24

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.