• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nuzlocke Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Head Honchkrow

Well, after failing at the Diamond Nuzlocke challenge a while back, I've returned to have a shot at it again in HG:

* Named myself Leon and chose Totodile, who I dubbed "Trevor".
* Beat my rival, Mathias, and got the Pokeballs from Lyra.
* I'm now waiting for night to fall so all the good Pokemon will come out.

Additional rules:
1) Battle style = Set.
2) Not allowed to buy anything other than Pokeballs.

Current team:
;158; Trevor Lv. 6

Spares:
N/A

Dead:
N/A

~The Head Honchkrow~
P.S. There is a theme behind my nicknames. Can you guess what it is?

Pikawho?

(five15)
My siblings are currently playing through my Sapphire and LG games (I'm not restarting my 4th Gen. games for a while) so I won't be able to start the challenge until they are done.

But I've got a few questions that I'd like to ask so that I can be thinking before I start the challenge.

1) Concerning fossils: Are you allowed to "revive" them and add the pokemon to your team? If so, would it need to be the first pokemon you "encounter" in the city or in the area it is found?

2) This might be a dumb question but here goes: are you allowed to us tms on your pokemon or do they count as items? You obviously need to use hms to get through the games, but are you allowed to use tms to make your guys "stronger"? A side note to hms: are you allowed to catch an hm slave to keep in your party (never to use in a battle) or is that illegal?

Just asking to see what options I have which would affect strategies. I in no way want to break any rules so I figured it'd be best to ask. =/

Last edited:

Flyers108

Il Gran Negoziante
I would like to do this challenge. It doesn't sound that hard to me though because I don't switch up my team a lot and I have only ever lost to one gym leader (Whitney in original Gold). There's also a very strong possibly that I use way more Potions and such than I remember. I wish I had a fresh game to do this with though.

hitoshura0

My siblings are currently playing through my Sapphire and LG games (I'm not restarting my 4th Gen. games for a while) so I won't be able to start the challenge until they are done.

But I've got a few questions that I'd like to ask so that I can be thinking before I start the challenge.

1) Concerning fossils: Are you allowed to "revive" them and add the pokemon to your team? If so, would it need to be the first pokemon you "encounter" in the city or in the area it is found?

2) This might be a dumb question but here goes: are you allowed to us tms on your pokemon or do they count as items? You obviously need to use hms to get through the games, but are you allowed to use tms to make your guys "stronger"? A side note to hms: are you allowed to catch an hm slave to keep in your party (never to use in a battle) or is that illegal?

Just asking to see what options I have which would affect strategies. I in no way want to break any rules so I figured it'd be best to ask. =/

1) The rules are sketchy, but I think most use the area revived/ area egg obtained for those types of deals. So for Platinum, you get the fossil as your Oreburgh City guy and the Togepi egg will be in Eterna City.

2) There are only 2 cardinal rules of Nuzlocke: Faint=Death and first pokemon of a route/area is the only you can catch and a mandatory nickname. The item clauses are optional, and up to you. If you want to use a boatload of items, save revives, go for it. I hold myself to can't heal inside battle, but everything is fair game. So I TM the hell out of my team. And some of those guys need it. Raticate gets even more awesome with a good physical moveset.

7 tyranitars

hey all it have been some time I think I might do this again but then on ss

Exodd

Started a challenge in Ruby version. Only allowing picked up or gift items.

My current team on there is:
;259; Finn - Lv. 19
;293; SoundWave - Lv. 14
;041; Bats - Lv. 9

Have a question, though. Can shiny Pokemon be caught during the challenge if they are extra but not used?

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
Started a challenge in Ruby version. Only allowing picked up or gift items.

My current team on there is:
;259; Finn - Lv. 19
;293; SoundWave - Lv. 14
;041; Bats - Lv. 9

Have a question, though. Can shiny Pokemon be caught during the challenge if they are extra but not used?

Hey good luck man. As for your question, it depends on your rules. My rules for example say I can capture a shiny if I see it after the first pokemon on the route, but no other pokemon can be captured after the first pokemon I see.

Speaking of witch I added a stipulation that gives me a mulligan when I see a bidoof first. Tired of them. -;248;

Pikawho?

(five15)
So it turns out that my younger brother isn't using his Ruby so he's letting me restart it for the challenge.

Rules: No items except for the pokeballs you recieve and tms. Battle Style=Set. To avoid grinding too much, I'm not allowed to train anyone higher than the gym leaders best (before entering the gym).

An exception to the rules is that I'm allowed to catch a shiny if it shows up (since I've had rotten luck finding shinies in these games and it would royally suck if I wasn't allowed to catch it). Obviously, I am not allowed to use the shiny on my team and it'll sit in a box.

-Our hero "Pikawho" started off with Torcher the Torchic.
-After beating Brendan and getting the pokeballs, Route 102 was calling me. That's where I found Hermie, the Wurmple. After training it a bit (to like level 4) I challenged Youngster Calvin. After a long battle of weakening it while it tailwhipped and growled, Zigzagoon one-shotted Hermie with tackle.
-Gullipper (Wingull) (stupid names ftw!) was the next to join the clan.
-In Petalburg woods, Mr.Wiggles (Wurmple) was captured to replace his dead friend. Getting this guy almost sucked because he used poison sting on Gullipper. Fortunately, he wasn't poisoned, but my heart still started pounding. However, he was not one-shotted and evolved into Cascoon.

Current Position: Middle of Petalburg Woods (just beat the Magma guy).

Current Team:

Torcher (Torchic): Level 11
Gullipper (Wingull): Level 8
Mr.Wiggles(Cascoon): Level 7

Benched Pokemon: None

Dead Comrades:

Hermie (Wurmple): Level 4
---------------------------------------------------

Next update will come after I face Watson and/or if I fail the challenge.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

so I started this on my soul silver I chose totodile named him MR AQUA I did the whole egg thing catched a sentret and catched a weedle now training both

I have the same rules as last time

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Right! Let's do this!

I decided doing Nuzlocke on my Japanese HeartGold might be a bit much, so I'm retracting and doing Fire Red. I'm just inside Mount Moon at the moment, so here's my team. See if you can pick out my name theme:

Bulbasaur (JUNGLEHUNT)
Mankey (DONKEYKONG)
Rattata (ET)
Butterfree (AIR WORLD)
Jigglypuff (PACMAN)
Geodude (MTN KING)

Defeated:
Pidgey (PITFALL)

I liked that Pidgey, but I can catch another one later. I'm thinking of calling it JOUST.

EDIT:

Second day update. I lost AIR WORLD in Mt. Moon, unfortunately, but took my time after getting a Helix Fossil. I unfortunately lost MTN KING to ****s (rival, heh), caught a few new Pokemon and grinded just enough to take on Misty, who ended up going down easily even though I was underleveled. PACMAN annihilated Staryu with Mega Punch, and I brought in JUNGLEHUNT against Starmie. No problem. I moved on south to Vermilion, caught a few new Pokemon, including ones to replace the ones I'd lost. I switched out a few to Pokemon I decided I'd rather use for the time being, and am currently leveling up a bit before I board the St. Anne.

TEAM:
Pidgey (PITFALL) Level 16 (replaces original)
Meowth (DOLPHIN) Level 14
Ivysaur (JUNGLEHUNT) Level 19
Jigglypuff (PACMAN) Level 18
Butterfree (AIR WORLD) Level 15 (replaces original)
Mankey (DONKEYKONG) Level 17

PC:
Oddish (MISSILECMD) Level 14
Spearow (QBERT) Level 16
Rattata (ET) Level 16

DEFEATED:
Pidgey (PITFALL) Level 10
Butterfree (AIR WORLD) Level 12
Geodude (MTN KING) Level 16

And now, I ought to post my personal rules:
- Only catch the first Pokemon in every new location.
- I am allowed to catch the same species of a Pokemon that was defeated earlier in the challenge, if it's the first I see in a route, but not required if I want to train something else.
- I am allowed to use and buy any items except revives freely.

My own house rule:
- I can only use revives that I find, as if they were rare items.
- I cannot use a revive retroactively to bring back into play a Pokemon that I previously boxed when I didn't have a revive. It must be in my party when I have the revive.

I know this breaks a major rule of Nuzlocke, but in my previous attempt I got so frustrated that I gave up. This way I'm allowing myself just a bit of slack, and adding the strategy of deciding when to use that rare Revive. Yeah, you can decide that if I get through this challenge, it doesn't count because of this, if you want. It's all for fun anyway. :p

Pokemon that have had found revives used on them:
PACMAN (1)

Last edited:

Pikawho?

(five15)
Rules: No items except for the pokeballs you recieve, key items, and tms (that's right: no rare candies). Battle Style=Set.

An exception to the rules is that I'm allowed to catch a shiny if it shows up (since I've had rotten luck finding shinies in these games and it would royally suck if I wasn't allowed to catch it). Obviously, I am not allowed to use the shiny on my team and it'll sit in a box.
----------------

Noteworthy events: Criticalled a Zigzagoon (want one just so that he can pick up stuff) and Whismur in the routes before and after Rustboro. Caught a Whismur in the cave, named Obnoxious. Raised my guys to level 14, then had Gulliper spam water gun against Roxanne. Caught Edward the Zubat in Granite cave. Skipped battling Brawly until after I dealt with team Magma. Picked up KingofTown the Gulpin along the way, but boxed him. Went past Mauville to catch Ms.Missy the Illumise.

After grinding Ms.Missy, I went and destroyed Brawly with Mr.Wiggles (now a Dustox. Then, on my way back to Mauville, I realized that I didn't battle the fisherman. So I send out Ms.Missy. KOs the first pokemon, but then was oneshotted by a rollout using Wailmer....And I really liked her too...Obnoxious goes out to get revenge for his dead friend. But gets poisoned by a Tentacool. With 8hp remaining, there was no hope for him to survive. He died with the pokemon center in sight....

My team down to four, I needed to call upon the powers of KingofTown. Once he learned Sludge, he was unstoppable. Not wanting to take chances, I trained Torcher to level 28 before I took on Watson. Everyone else would've been oneshotted so he was my only hope. He pulled through (almost losing to Magneton but got a critical hit with double kick).

Current Position: Base of the mountain. Caught Lumpy the Numel, who will be grinded before I continue.

Current Team:

Torcher ;256;: Level 28
Gulliper ;278;: Level 22
Mr.Wiggles ;269;: Level 22
Edward ;042;: Level 22
KingofTown ;316;: Level 22
Lumpy ;322;: Level 14

Benched Pokemon: None

Dead Comrades:

Hermie ;265;: Level 4
Ms.Missy ;314;: Level 18
Obnoxious ;293;: Level 18
--------------------------------------------------

Next update will come after I face Winona or if I die before then....

Edit: Glory points to whoever knows why Gulpin has that name. No one else has a direct reference.

Last edited:

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
King of Town! Homestar Runner reference, of course. :)

My update shortly. I'm hanging out in the St. Anne, doing some leveling.

EDIT: Who wants an update? That's right, you want an update!

St. Anne was a breeze, and D***s ran away crying at the power of my lovingly raised warriors. PACMAN, PITFALL and DONKEYKONG were the stars, honestly. Now it's time to review my team and decide what I want to do for the Vermilion Gym.

MY TEAM:
Jigglypuff (PACMAN) Level 21
Meowth (DOLPHIN) Level 20
Pidgeotto (PITFALL) Level 21
Ivysaur (JUNGLEHUNT) Level 20
Mankey (DONKEYKONG) Level 21
Butterfree (AIR WORLD) Level 20

MY BENCH:
Diglett (DIGDUG)
Oddish (MISSLECMD)
Spearow (QBERT)
Rattata (ET)
Majikarp (RIVER RAID)
Drowzee (ASTEROIDS)

DEFEATED:
Geodude (MTN KING)
Butterfree (AIR WORLD)
Pidgey (PITFALL)

Last edited:

Saiki

Decided to try a Nuzlocke run on my copy of Ruby. I'm not really all that far yet.

Other rules for me:
--- No rare candies or legendary Pokémon may be used.
--- Items may not be used in battle.

Started out with a Mudkip named Hamlet. I squished Brendan's Treecko like a bug, then went and caught a female Poochyena and named her Bellatrix.

Current Party:
--- Hamlet - Mudkip - Male - lv. 12
--- Bellatrix - Poochyena - Female - lv. 8

Boxed Pokémon:
--- None

Dead Pokémon:
--- None

Pansy :]

anustart
this sounds sweet! i'm gonna do this as soon as i get my FireRed game back from my brother!!!
Note: might break the rules a bit if a shiny comes up... but i would only use him after the elite four... would this be ok?

ShiningRobert

What about pokemon trades since I do a lot about that coudnt find rules on trading
Edit: what happens if yor first pokemon dies

Last edited:
What about pokemon trades since I do a lot about that coudnt find rules on trading
Edit: what happens if yor first pokemon dies

Well, it would depend on your personal rules, I suppose, but really, it just takes the fun out of it to trade Pokemon over.

If your first Pokemon faints, I hope you have more with you. :V But if its the only one you have, and there's none in your PC, well, you've lost.

ShiningRobert

Yea was just wondering about the trading part going to try the challenge when I get HeartGold or SoulSilver since all the rest if my games I have put to much work in them to start a new game

Pokémancer

Pokabu Trainer-to-be
No one's been on here in a couple weeks? Am I Necro-threading? Hope not... I want in on this! I'll be starting something up this weekend, probably with Platinum.

Could I get a definition for "Grinding Too Much?" :p - I already have an idea for one of the Chapters about Grinding...

I plan on going with a modified Shiny Rule - Shiny Pokemon may be captured at any point, but must replace the Pokémon captured on the same Route if possible, or any Pokémon of your choice if none was caught from the same Route. The replaced Pokémon must be released (or put into a box titled - RELEASED or somesuch).

I know Shinies are rare - boy do I understand that (lotta backstory here, but I had 4 Shinies in my original Emerald game: Mightyena, 2 Beautifly's from the same route with the same Nature and a Magneton; then lost my DS and my Emerald and my Pearl. :( Just caught a Shiny Spheal in my new Emerald, though! First Shiny aside from the Gyarados in SoulSilver since my loss.)

One more thought: Fossils... Should you have to revive the first one you find or can you choose one?

Last edited:

Pikawho?

(five15)
Rules: No items except for the pokeballs you recieve, key items, and tms (that's right: no rare candies). Battle Style=Set.

----------------

Events of interest: Caught Campbell (Numel) as a back-up for Lumpy. Luckily ran into Jacob the Zangoose. Trained him up to level 28 then swords danced a few time and swept Flannery. Went to the desert to get the fossil (counting Anorith as the pokemon in Rustboro) and caught Buttchomp, the Trapinch along the way. Destroyed Norman with Protect using Mr.Wiggles and Gulliper (credit to the Nuzlocke comics for the idea). Picked up Weatherman the Castform and grinded him, hoping to sweep Winona with him. Changed my mind and had him as back-up. Barely hung on from Altaria's EQ to one-shot it with an ice-typed weatherball. Made it to Mossdeep. Feeling like it might be worth using the super rod there, I went fishing. Landed a Sharpedo (named Jaws).

Deaths: Lumpy, level 26, was being grinded in the jagged pass. Oneshotted by a level 18 numel who criticalled on a magnitude 12 (I laughed about it for awhile...). Hellbringr, level 22, one shotted by karate chop after being hit by two leers from a Machop. Shame. I really wanted Armaldo to be on my team...>.>

Cleptoman2: I really only got him cause I could (so that he could pick up ultraballs and whatnot) so I didn't plan on using him. Sent him into a magnitude 8 from Campbell during a double battle (to keep Edward from taking another spark from Magneton).

Current Location: Outside Shoal Cave.

Plan for defeating Tate and Liza: Get Zangoose and Jaws to level 45 then Shadowball and Crunch Lunatone and Solrock to death. If I'm lucky, they won't die and I'll have them for Phoebe....

Current Team:

Torcher ;257;: Level 37
Gulliper ;279;: Level 38
Jacob ;335;: Level 39
Edward ;169;: Level 38
KingofTown ;317;: Level 38
Jaws ;319;: Level 38

Benched Pokemon:

Campbell ;323;: Level 36
Weatherman ;351;: Level 33
Mr.Wiggles ;269;: Level 33
Cleptoman ;263;: Level 24
Skullking ;355;: Level 28
Trippy ;327;: Level 21
Waterboy ;130;: Level 20
Buttkicka ;066;: Level 21
Buttchomp ;328;: Level 20
Ellis ;231;: Level 27

Dead Comrades:

Hermie ;265;: Level 4
Ms.Missy ;314;: Level 18
Obnoxious ;293;: Level 18
Lumpy ;322;: Level 26
Hellbringr ;347;: Level 22
Cleptoman2 ;264;: Level 27
--------------------------------------------------

Been really slow doing the challenge due to school, but it's going alright.

Next update will be to announce my team before facing the e4 then I'll edit that post with the result.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.