• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OakNapped! (010)

Chris

Old Coot
Batdude said:
His name was always Sparky. And this is the first time we see Rose, well dubbed anyway. I never recall him referring to his Pikachu by any name other than Sparky.
His Pikachu's original name was Leon. The dub changed that WAAAAAY back when Hiroshi first appeared and decided to call it Sparky. >_>

MagicBox

xoBcigaM
Edward Elric said:
They keep Subame's nickname (Rose) yet they change Leon (Pikachu) to "Sparky." The hell's up with that?
They'll change a name like that just for the sake of making puns.

"Ha ha, it's an electric Pokemon named Sparky. That's hilarious."

It's not even a funny pun.

Batdude

Old school
Edward Elric said:
His Pikachu's original name was Leon. The dub changed that WAAAAAY back when Hiroshi first appeared and decided to call it Sparky. >_>
So when exactly was it's name Leon? The original? But if Sparky is the dub name, and this was a dub episode, then what's the problem?

Yeah, Cassidy was always 'gifted' like that, it just isn't always as obvious as some of the others like Prima and Jessie.

MagicBox said:
It's not even a funny pun.
At least when they do it to a Pokémon it's somewhat reasonable. Other names are inexcusable, like Tracey (Hohoho! They made a drawing joke!). At least you could imagine a Pikachu named Sparky BECAUSE it's a cheap joke. But some of the names for people are just ridiculous. Granted, the Gym Leaders have reasons for the puns (Wattson, Brock, Pryce) but the names of some minor characters...

Last edited:

MagicBox

xoBcigaM
Cybercubed said:
Intriguing....

PICS!?!
Look at the second pic here.

Gravy's also got some in the anime picture thread.

F

Factory Head Noland

I only caught the last 10 minutes but I'll see it all on Friday afternoon, thank the lord for repeats!

Sparky > Leon

Leon the Pikachu? Lol...
There aren't really that many dub errors in the Chronicles episodes, it was just the "Legend of Thunder!" episodes. Tut tut, they gave a bad name to the series...

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
You have to admire this episode for its pure stupidity, who couldn't laugh at Professer Oak the whole time? The whole group was pratically laughing at him! And oh yeah Butch's reactions were funny too when they f*cked up his name again like usual.

So his Tailow is now called "Rose" and there is a mentioning of Richie training an Eevee at present, but unbelievabley it's not mentioned in the Japanese version, so why did they do that? Maybe the writers will save them from embarresment give him an Eevee so it stops us moaning at them or something.

Tracey and Richie sounded the same as they always do, so no muckups from a the voice actors point of view.

So overall really great episode! Both the battling and humor, and perhaps seeing Professor Oak get owned a few times (hair getting set on fire etc lolololol!).

~Bayleef~ said:
Sparky > Leon

Yer Sparky's the name of my cat, go Sparky!

Chris

Old Coot
~Bayleef~ said:
There aren't really that many dub errors in the Chronicles episodes, it was just the "Legend of Thunder!" episodes. Tut tut, they gave a bad name to the series...
Someone sure missed quite abit of stuff that 4Kids decided to tinker with in a couple of other Chronicles episodes. >_>

And as I was saying, it's stupid that they decide to only rename Leon yet keep Zippo and Rose's names. Was it even really necessary to decide to make it into a stupid cutesy pun? :|

And man, Yamato's assests are rather noticable in this episode. >_>;;

F

Factory Head Noland

Edward Elric said:
And man, Yamato's assests are rather noticable in this episode. >_>;;

Lol.

I prefer Sparky over Leon, it just seems like a better name for an Electric type mouse.
Leon, to me, yells physical strength and a Pikachu doesn't have that much physical strength...

Chris

Old Coot
~Bayleef~ said:
Leon, to me, yells physical strength
Funny, Leon yells Kingdom Hearts angsty goth boy from FFVIII to me. >_> No physical strength there.

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
Alfonso said:
Sharpshooter... dude. o_o

Rose's Japanese name was Rozu. ._. It's always been Rose, basically.

I never said it wasn't called Rose, it was fact stated from someone who never saw the original version in the first place. Either that or I forgot lol.

Alfonso

Derpgull
Edward Elric said:
Funny, Leon yells Kingdom Hearts angsty goth boy from FFVIII to me. >_> No physical strength there.

:x

Squall. I believe they changed his name to Leon in Kingdom Hearts. >_> (Squall LEONhart was his name in FF8, I believe.)

>_>;

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I think Sparky may not have been a 4Kids change, but to be consistant with the Viz translation of the Ono manga.

Batdude

Old school
Ok, hang on a second. I am lost here. Since when was Sparky's name 'Leon'?

In all the episodes I've seen with Richie and Sparky I have never heard the name 'Leon' once. Is it a direct translation of his Japanese name, or what? Where did the name 'Leon' suddenly crop out of?

Sorry to be a pain, but now I'm intrigued. (Sparky has a dual identity... I knew there was something about it I didn't like...)

Alfonso

Derpgull
Batdude said:
Ok, hang on a second. I am lost here. Since when was Sparky's name 'Leon'?

In all the episodes I've seen with Richie and Sparky I have never heard the name 'Leon' once. Is it a direct translation of his Japanese name, or what? Where did the name 'Leon' suddenly crop out of?

Sorry to be a pain, but now I'm intrigued. (Sparky has a dual identity... I knew there was something about it I didn't like...)

Leon is his Japanese name.

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
I'm annoyed that the Chronicles people keep making up new ways for the characters to mess up Butch's name. In the Japanese version, they *ALWAYS* call Kosaburou "Kosanji," and in the dub of the regular series, they *ALWAYS* call Butch "Botch." It's just inconsistent to be calling him "Bob" or "Bip" or whatever other names they've been calling him.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
I think Sparky may not have been a 4Kids change, but to be consistant with the Viz translation of the Ono manga.

The dubbed version of the Kanto League came out in October 1999, while Viz's translation of that part of the manga came out in 2000. So Viz was just being consistent with the anime, not the other way around.

Alfonso

Derpgull
Dogasu said:
I'm annoyed that the Chronicles people keep making up new ways for the characters to mess up Butch's name. In the Japanese version, they *ALWAYS* call Kosaburou "Kosanji," and in the dub of the regular series, they *ALWAYS* call Butch "Botch." It's just inconsistent to be calling him "Bob" or "Bip" or whatever other names they've been calling him.

Actually, not always. Back in th Whirl Islands, Misty called Butch 'Buzz'.

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Oh. Well, I haven't seen any of the Whirl Island eps (I'm trying to keep up with the episodes airing on Cartoon Network at the moment), so I hadn't known about that.

I've heard that a number of scenes were rearranged in this episode for no reason. Which, if true, really makes me wish I wasn't stuck with a 56K connection for the summer so that I could be writing up Episode Comparisons for these episodes.

poke_girl

The Amazing
Torkoal Stu said:
Her breast were huge, weren't they? *hi fives shuckle and batdude*
*sigh*
Boys... -_-

Chris

Old Coot
I'm sorry but compare to the amount of guys that act like guys compared to the VAST amount of yaoi fangirls. The girls outweigh all of the guys. ;\