1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Obama Vs. Romney: 2012 US Election

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by Floette, Sep 5, 2012.

?

Do you support Barack Obama or Mitt Romney?

1. Mitt Romney

86 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. Barack Obama

230 vote(s)
    72.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2 nearly simultaneous events does not explicitly imply one was the catalyst of the other.

2. BigLutz

BigLutz Banned

No doubt but do you deny that the tax cuts played a role in turning around the economy in 2003?

No doubt but when we look at what turned around the economy we need to look for a catalyst, unless you can provide a different one, a large set of tax cuts seems to be the only available explanation.

3. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

I swear that I'm not trolling here. And I'm not trying to derail the topic (granted, it's already been derailed, so that's a moot point). But I just have to know. How is this topic still open when the election has been over for more than a month?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member

But we went from a surplus to the deficit as a result if we keep the tax cuts going. It also turns out the tax cuts boosted income inequality.

5. BigLutz

BigLutz Banned

No we went to a decifit because of the . Com bubble and 9/11 infact if the tax cuts did help the economy out of the malaise then it did more to bring in income to the government by spurring the economy than if they weren't put in place

6. WizardTrubbish

WizardTrubbish much more beastly

Because people are still debating. Personally, I think that this should be closed and replaced with a thread on the Obama administration.

Anyway, it looks like John Kerry has been nominated for Secretary of State.

7. ccangelopearl1362

ccangelopearl1362 Well-Known Member

I’m now under the impression that we’ve turned it into a sort of all-purpose thread discussing American – and international – politics, which oddly suits me, personally speaking. The vote on November 6 convinced me that Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, and the other Republican presidential candidates for this election had run out of time in seeking to carry the United States into an information society as smoothly as humanly possible, and on a different note, there may be some who increasingly suspect that Barack Obama is sounding more and more like… Woodrow Wilson during his second term. For my part, after everything I’ve tracked throughout this past year, I’m at a point at which I can state with certainty that I would pity either Obama or Romney, but at least one front in North America could become clear soon.:

Washington Post: Solar firms probed for possible ‘misrepresentations’ in getting public money
    Wall Street Journal Washington Wire: Keith Johnson: Lugar Sees Natural Gas as Tool in U.S. Arsenal

Count SolarCity, SunRun, and Sungevity out of President Obama’s green energy initiative, and at a total of $500 million, they remind me of Solyndra by itself. They were based in California and Arizona, and they “collected hundreds of millions of dollars in federal cash grants” for the purpose of building wind farms, solar panels, and other supposed sources of green energy in America. That said, some leaders within this industry had prices higher than the broader market rate, charging up to $7-8 per watt as opposed to $5 per watt. Barry Cinnamon, who used to lead Westinghouse Solar, was among those expressing concerns that some of these executives were using the program improperly, and among the companies partnering with these ones are Google, Credit Suisse, and Citigroup. SolarCity donated $579,000 to Obama’s campaigns in 2008 and 2012, so if these energy projects fail, then any investors might not need long to clear out before the entire project implodes. Natural gas looks better by comparison, especially with the Russians and the countries of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization squaring off. Richard Lugar has a new bill attempting to make American natural gas easier to export to NATO members who don’t yet have free trade agreements with America. Already, the British and the Spaniards signed up for this deal, and one other country cited as being likely to get sidelined is Iran. Another country may be on its way there soon enough, setting off even more dominoes across the Islamic Middle East into North Africa.:

Reuters: SocGen sells Egypt arm to QNB for $2 billion
    Ahram: Diplomats ponder the good and the bad on Egypt’s constitution debate

As Qatar National Bank gets itself a new stake, Societe Generale is pulling back to attempt to build up its capital reserves, and the most likely reason for any disruptions is that constitutional referendum. For QNB’s part, its market value is somewhere around $26 billion, enabling it to expand across the region, if with a few setbacks here and there. A personal visit from Hamad Al-Thani would be all that Muhammad Morsi and Mohammed Badie would need to cement the view throughout the rest of the Middle East that Qatar and the Muslim Brotherhood are far worthier of leadership than, say, the House of Saud, but they’d probably further split Egypt in the process. American and European diplomats will likely need contingency plans of their own to extract as many people as possible, as will Egyptian diplomats. The Muslim Brotherhood sought to rally Egyptians abroad in favor of the draft constitution, and I’d have to guess the Salafis are still waiting in the wings, precisely because they won’t have much of a choice left to them.:

Fox News Channel: State Department Preparing for Libya Bombshell?
    New York Times: Members of Assad’s Sect Blamed in Syria Killings

Ambassador Susan Rice is no longer under consideration to replace Hillary Clinton at the State Department, making the likes of Utah Congressman Jason Chaffetz suspicious, especially about this upcoming report about that Benghazi attack. Florida Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen has scheduled a hearing this upcoming Thursday, leaving the rest of Congress to inquire further about American activities throughout the Islamic Community. They might need some additional questions to cover Syria as the Alawites start turning on each other. At least 125 civilians were killed in that massacre, believed to have been perpetrated by forces loyal to Bashar Assad himself, thereby elevating death over life. There may not be many practical differences left as the factions involved continue their rampages.:

British Broadcasting Corporation: Mali intervention by Ecowas: Refugee fears

The Inter-Agency Standing Committee has launched a warning about refugee floods and counterattacks by Islamists, drawing up four possible scenarios for which France and other countries coordinating any supposed intervention against Al-Qaeda would need to adjust their strategies and tactics.:

• Status quo: tensions between northern and southern Mali, with Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and the National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad among the main armed groups; factional stress among military units; Sharia likely in northern regions, with 275,000 refugees and 1,562,000 at risk from cholera
    • Intervention: war with Islamists, including sleeper cell activations; looted schools and clinics; revenge attacks in countries contributing to intervention; anti-United Nations sentiment, with 575,000 refugees and 1,952,000 at risk from cholera
    • Internal rifts: intensified splits within Malian army; communal violence; closed borders; some evacuations, with 355,000 refugees and 1,952,000 at risk from cholera
    • Attacks against southern Mali: civil war, with children among those forced to fight; reinforcements to jihad groups from worldwide, attacking Mopti, Sevare, and Bamako; Sharia spreading, with 725,000 refugees and 1,952,000 at risk from cholera

Could any of these scenarios combine? The overall point would be that even with American President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande attempting to coordinate activities to counter these Sharia terrorists, anarchy could be more likely to engulf West Africa, with at least some using it as a staging area for further attacks worldwide. I could welcome a new all-purpose thread on the Obama administration’s activities, but the rest of you probably won’t need to guess how optimistic I am.

8. WizardTrubbish

WizardTrubbish much more beastly

I have no problem with that type of thread- I'd love it, honestly. But with the election being over for over a month now, this is out of date. I think we should dump this thread in favor of a thread about the Obama administration rather than the election. Just about everything we've debated about since the election ended could be discussed there.

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Muffin Button Master

I honestly dislike all politicians on the stance that 99-100% of them are rather immoral. But, I've come to like Obama. Sure, some stuff hasn't gotten done as he promised, but there's not one politician that can deliver as they promise during the race. I've come to the following conclusion: both are fairly bad in the political sense, with Obama being the better choice by a fairly decent margin, but as human beings? Obama all the way. He caught so much flack for that first political debate, but from what I saw he was being the polite person and letting Romney have his turn and not interrupting Mitt, even when he was being interrupted himself. Romney was being rather incredible about evading alot of high import questions, and chose to just take every chance possible to try to turn the focal point from the stuff he was going to mess up to not letting Obama get a word in. Oh well, it's over and done with now anyways. The world will continue to spin on...

10. Profesco

Profesco gone gently

I am very much in agreement. Maybe a refresher will re-rail discussion, to boot. With thanks to ccangelopearl, everyone can start using this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.