• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Obesity, a growing problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
Obesity is obviously a problem in American society there is no question about that. And it has only become a major problem I would say in the last century, if not the last 60 years.
While there are many culprits behind obesity, clearly our society has gone through a fundamental and permanent change within these last 60 years.
We have to create time to engage in physical activity where as 60-100 years ago we had to create time to actually sit down and rest.
We also live in a society where a Snickers and a Coke cost less than a piece of fruit and water. It is also because those products have huge companies behind them to push these brands and engage in product placement in media and even within the grocery stores itself. It's no secret that the reason the checkout aisles are stocked with candy is because companies pay big money for that prime location.

We live in a society where everything is at our fingertips, or where getting to a certain place requires some sort of fueled transportation. If you want to live within walking/biking distance then you will have to pay extra to live there.

Nephilim

Muffin Button Master
It's enough of a problem to call for action on correcting it, that's for sure. I see too many people with this problem, and sadly not enough people working to bring themselves to a healthy weight. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should make everyone skinny. I'm not skinny, but I'm far from obese. I don't prefer that people be super skinny either. We should just strive to reach that middle ground where we're not so overweight, yet not bare bones like some people feel so much pressure to be.

Luthor

It's enough of a problem to call for action on correcting it, that's for sure. I see too many people with this problem, and sadly not enough people working to bring themselves to a healthy weight. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should make everyone skinny. I'm not skinny, but I'm far from obese. I don't prefer that people be super skinny either. We should just strive to reach that middle ground where we're not so overweight, yet not bare bones like some people feel so much pressure to be.

ok firstly there is undeniably a problem with obesity what i think has to be noted is that losing weight is hard.It's worwhile but i can tell you from personal experince it's a difficult task.It's hard for those who've never been large to understand.I was going to the gym every day and still was oveweight .What changed was I went to friends workout plan and that changed things for me.The problem was that while i thought i was following good advice originally it turned out i needed a different stratergy it was really tough but it worked and now i'm described as being slim but it was not easy.

lollygag

Banned
Well, I'm overweight myself, and for a long time it was hard to find stylish clothes because they're made for thinner people. Plus the chairs in waiting rooms are too small for the obese. They need bigger seats for obese people. We need to accomodate the growing obese population.

Rakansen

ラルフ
I actually heard somewhere that obesity is becoming a bigger problem than malnutrition. If people can help stop world hunger, we should also be solving obesity. Unfortunately, obesity's more difficult to solve than malnutrition, some people who are obese don't care about losing weight, whereas people who are starving are willing to eat food.

ChedWick

Well, I'm overweight myself, and for a long time it was hard to find stylish clothes because they're made for thinner people. Plus the chairs in waiting rooms are too small for the obese. They need bigger seats for obese people. We need to accomodate the growing obese population.

I really hope you're kidding.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
No... Mere Liberal Propaganda! 10 years ago they were fussing about how woman were not eating enough or at all.

fitzy909

Just another guy
It's really ridiculous. Some people are seriously obese and yet some aren't eating at all. Why? I used to be ob... slightly on the large side and trust me it was hard to fit in. I was always being picked on because of it and i know i'm not the only one. I mean with more people to feed we will have to start eating less, so people are going to have to change, but i know it never always works, some people want to lose weight others don't care.

look, i weigh 411 BUT i am fitfat,i dont waddle,but i am big, my legs are muscular and my arms are,BUT ,y tummy is big

ChedWick

Do you NOT want them to have clothes or a place to sit comfortably? :-/

No, I don't want them to continue to account for 20+ percent of total annual healthcare costs and continue to be nearly a quarter responsible for the continual increase in healthcare premiums.

Last edited:
According to the Emergency Medicine Journal, researchers found that
“Findings ... suggest that obese vehicle drivers are more likely to die from traffic collision-related injuries than non-obese occupants involved in the same collision.”
In the statistics observed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there was an 80% increase in fatalities for individuals who are obese. And more than half of the entire nation of the United States is overweight or obese. I think that this epidemic deserves some more attention at least.

Last edited:

miles0624

Wrath of Fire
According to the Emergency Medicine Journal, researchers found that In the statistics observed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there was an 80% increase in fatalities for individuals who are obese. And more than half of the entire nation of the United States is overweight or obese. I think that this epidemic deserves some more attention at least.

Its only one/third of the United States, but everything else is correct. Time to get rid of food stamps.

Lord_Kain

Just call me Kain
I just think society and the government needs to stop trying to babysit everyone. Oh you shouldnt do this its bad, oh, these should be illegal theyre bad. Who cares, let people live their lives how they wish.

Because it can cause a multitude problems for other people who are of no direct correlation/involvement but end up in some way or another being affected.

Ausgirl

I think that fat-phobia is a growing problem.

Don't believe me?

There are six-year-olds with anorexia. Just saying.

LDSman

Status
Not open for further replies.