• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Objectively, how has Pokémon really been doing from 1996 to today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTypeStarter

Most discussions about the games and the franchise in general often are biased in nature, disliking things like not keeping certain features, game story not being good, games being too easy or linear, lack of wild battles in Let's Go, etc. So from an objective perspective, how has Pokemon really been doing since it first released? Has every game been decent for what they seek to achieve? Does every game still hold up? Have merits that many (if not everyone) can enjoy? Among other questions. Please no comments about Game Freak removing certain features being bad or making the games too easy. I've gotten tired of biased rants and would like to read some more objective analysis on Pokémon.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
So from an objective perspective, how has Pokemon really been doing since it first released? Has every game been decent for what they seek to achieve? Does every game still hold up? Have merits that many (if not everyone) can enjoy?

Yeah, just one problem though. None of those questions have an objective answer. They are all inherently subjective. If you want to see how the series is doing objectively, you can look at sales figures, you can look at player counts, you could analyze reviews (understanding that there's a grain of subjectivity nestled even there), etc., but asking vague questions about if the games are "decent" and whether or not they "hold up" while expecting an objective answer is contradictory.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I'd say they're doing pretty well, considering the franchise is the highest grossing one in the world, so.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Most discussions about the games and the franchise in general often are biased in nature, disliking things like not keeping certain features, game story not being good, games being too easy or linear, lack of wild battles in Let's Go, etc. So from an objective perspective, how has Pokemon really been doing since it first released? Has every game been decent for what they seek to achieve? Does every game still hold up? Have merits that many (if not everyone) can enjoy? Among other questions. Please no comments about Game Freak removing certain features being bad or making the games too easy. I've gotten tired of biased rants and would like to read some more objective analysis on Pokémon.

What matters is that the games are being enjoyed, and given the $1.35 billion made from Pokémon Sword & Shield alone, I think they've achieved that goal.

Yes, contrary to semi-popular belief, all that matters is that players are being entertained. That is literally the aim of all video games. Yes, it can seem cheap for a game development company to "cut corners" or "do less than they can" because they know their fans will likely be pleased regardless, but you know what? That's what every entertainment entity shoots for: consumer loyalty. The Pokémon Company did well enough that the majority of their fans continues to come back for whatever is thrown their way, and despite what one may think, no, they're not 'ignoring' bad development. They're happy with the development. Can you believe it? Folks are actually pleased with something a gaming company makes! :D

All jokes aside, the Pokémon main series has one of the strongest consistencies in game-to-game sales in the entire gaming industry, averaging 16 million copies per title. Fans are clearly pleased, so it would be quite gauche to insist Game Freak or The Pokémon Company hasn't been doing a good job.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
THEY MADE A BILLION DOLLARS OFF SWORD AND SHEILD?!?!?!
That must be why the awful crappy switch games are thriving.
We should start a giant boycott against the Nintendo Switch.
Revenue is not remotely the same as profit. Also, kind of doubt that billion dollar figure even for revenue, revenue isn't simply what consumers spent. Lots of that money goes to shop owners not directly part of the Pokémon franchise, lots of it goes to taxes. Like if you pay a store €60 for a game here over 20% of that immediately goes to the government as tax, the company never gets that as revenue.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think that the games get better with each Generation. There are only two main series games that I really didn’t care for that much and they are LGPE. I just don’t get why so many people complain about the graphics not looking “good” after seeing a trailer for the games that clearly notes that it isn’t final game footage? I mean not every game has to have Skyrim (which actually doesn’t have such great graphics nowadays unless you play it on the Switch) or BotW styl3 of graphics.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Revenue is not remotely the same as profit. Also, kind of doubt that billion dollar figure even for revenue, revenue isn't simply what consumers spent. Lots of that money goes to shop owners not directly part of the Pokémon franchise, lots of it goes to taxes. Like if you pay a store €60 for a game here over 20% of that immediately goes to the government as tax, the company never gets that as revenue.

This is quite true.

The figure I listed is based on gross revenue rather than net profit, so the amount TPC or Game Freak takes would of course be much less.

The gross revenue figure nonetheless is evident of Sword & Shield's overwhelming success. Very few gaming franchises can pull that type of gross on a consistent basis, and it looks like Pokémon is about to do it twice in the span of 3 months, with BDSP and Legends.

Sheill

The main objective reason by which one can judge whether a game or a series is successful is whether people continue to play it and that's it. There is no such thing that every game is better than the previous ones and there should always be a sense of surprise from what is happening. If you continue to play them, then it means that the series is successful for you specifically. Although this is my subjective opinion, but in it I tried to reveal how to separate a successful franchise from not.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Please don't bump up threads that are older than 60 days. When in doubt, double check the sections rules.

Exceptions are made for pinned threads and fan fiction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.