• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Obscure Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cece

Unpopular stuff. Tell me your favorites!

Mine: Dennou Coil, Simoun, Haibane Renmei, Tetsuwan Birdy Decode 02(second season! first sucked), Toward the Terra(<3 Blue~), Moribito, Noein, Mahou Shoujotai, Cat Soup, Casshern Sins, Porfy, etcetc..

Big ones: Kaiba, Strange Dawn, & Princess Tutu!

Some of the best anime out there are terribly underrated.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Never heard of thoes......i might look em up,as for me its Myself Yourself.

Toki Hakurei

Omae wa mo shindeiru
I'll name some classics off the top of my head:

Hokuto no Ken
King of Braves GaoGaiGar
Mobile Suit Gundam/Zeta Gundam/ZZ
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Tekkaman Blade
Yatterman
Revolutionary Girl Utena
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Off the top of my head:

Toward the Terra, definitely. You hear praise every rare while for this show, though the Japanese seem big on it. Le Chevalier d'Eon I haven't heard anything about past anime review blogs, which sucks as it's really good.

I found Konjiki no Gash Bell to be underrated and rarely talked about. It was pretty good... Devil Hunter Yohko, too, I found good but almost nonexistent.

Last edited:

Cece

I never saw Myself, Yourself. -looks up-

Eureka was probably one of BONES' best, in my opinion. I'm not terribly fond of their series, but Xam'd was pretty good and FMA Brotherhood is just epic so far. Still, I'm giving the writer/artist of the manga wayyyy more credit than BONES for that. xD
Still, Eureka Seven had an absolutely TERRIBLE start. oxo I really hated it before it got to the main bulk of the story.
Also, I would'nt consider any of BONES' work to be too 'obscure'. Except maybe Xam'd..

Utena all the way!

Yesss Toward the Terra.. NOBODY has watched it, and I'm really happy to see another fan! ;3; I'll have to take a look at Chevalier + Yohko!

Oh, and I have another one: Now and Then, Here and There. Another anime with a poor start that got good fast.

I can't think of any "obscure" anime that I've watched off the top of my head atm... So I'll just have to go off things other people have said d:

Moribito...Cat Soup... Princess Tutu!

Moribito was airing on Adult Swim for a while, but it never really gained a big fanbase as all the other stuff they air... I never really got in to it either. :/

Cat Soup is still one of the most amazing, trippy things I have ever seen in my life. I've never seen anything else quite like it.

And I really like Princess Tutu, but I don't know many who watch it.

I remember Eureka Seven being really popular once upon a time, but I guess ever since it ended it fell into obscurity more or less... It was a good anime though.

Sol49867

Blue Comet SPT Laynzer
After War Gundam X
ect ect

SPT Laynzer is a pretty good anime. the story, plot, and characters are good plus some of the mecha are freaking awesome. and also an interesting fact, the Scouters from Dragon Ball Z is was heavily inspired from the "targeting eyepieces" wore by some of the SPT pilots. and i think they got the Trans-Am idea in Gundam 00 from the Layzner V-Max. im a little ****** that they canceled the anime from 50 episodes to 38.

and heres a little rant from me. as a mecha anime fan i think TTGL is kinda overrated. hearing people say TTGL can own or say that this super robot is nothing compare to TTGL very annoying. kinda like some people saying Naruto is better than DBZ. i mean heck there are super robots that can match its power.
GaoGaiGar: The G-Stone power continues to grow.
Getter Emperor: the ultimate getter, this thing can grow in a unlimited mass
Ideon: no one would win because a Ideon explosion would wipe out everything in the universe

Last edited:

Cece

Princess Tutu is one of my favorites.. but no one will give it a chance because of it's name.. ):

And yeah TTGL was wayyyyy overrated. It was fun to watch, but thats about it.
I'm not much of a mecha fan xD

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Yesss Toward the Terra.. NOBODY has watched it, and I'm really happy to see another fan! ;3; I'll have to take a look at Chevalier + Yohko!

Same here; the more fans, the better~ I found Toward the Terra to be addicting from the start! I've read that some people found the beginning four/five episodes to be bad and then drop it. This show needs to be known more; it's such a emotional show.

Yohko is old school with ecchi so you might not like it. Though, I suggest watching OAV 5 if you didn't like OAV 1; that's the best one.

And Chevalier is just plain awesome. XD

Moribito was airing on Adult Swim for a while, but it never really gained a big fanbase as all the other stuff they air... I never really got in to it either. :/

I found Moribito to one of those anime that has a slow start. I watched the first four episodes before I stopped and watched something else. And I can say that it's one of those that a watcher has to stick with. It got really good fast and I watched like 5+ episodes back to back.

Another anime, though I don't know if it's obscure or not, that's really good: Baccano!.

Flame Haze SnS

Yin-Yang
I would say that it's Gunslinger Girl first season. Pretty much no one has mentioned it anymore. :/ It has pretty good plot going on and they had good character development, especially for Henrietta and her handler, Jose.

Mimori Kiryu

Obscure anime I watch? Hmmmmmm....

Starship Operators
Toward the Terra (mmm, yes Blue is teh smex~)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
GetBackers
Tactics

Yay. <3

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Mononoke deserves praise for blending aspects of a murder mystery with yokai in the most awesome way possible.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Obscure anime I watch? Hmmmmmm....

Starship Operators
Toward the Terra (mmm, yes Blue is teh smex~)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
GetBackers
Tactics

Yay. <3

Another Toward the Terra fan! Yay! <3 I love Shiroe the most. XDD

And G Gundam isn't as obscure as it used to be when it came on TV. XD People are starting to love it more now and joke on it.

Mononoke deserves praise for blending aspects of a murder mystery with yokai in the most awesome way possible.

Shoot, I forgot about the greatness that is Mononoke. I loved watching that show even as a raw. The whole show's atmosphere gave a great feeling.

Last edited:

Crystal Clair

Midori Days is an awesome anime. Incredibly underrated. Seiji was quite different from the average male protagonist and I actually had a dream that I kissed him and I almost never dream about non Pokemon boys.

Hare+Guu is also pretty good not to mention wacky. It's got a very interesting setting, being in the jungle and it's pretty exotic.

Believe it or not, those two are on my top anime list.

Cobalt_Latios

I remember Eureka Seven being really popular once upon a time, but I guess ever since it ended it fell into obscurity more or less... It was a good anime though.
I remember my sister having come it across it (she's the one that finds all these shows, I didn't even know any of these existed until somepoint last year), then only watched it because she thought a certain VA was in it. Turns out it wasn't the case, but she kept watching it.

Eventually, both me and her watched a good deal of episodes and then stopped. She finished it, I'm still looking for a good excuse to continue.

And yeah TTGL was wayyyyy overrated. It was fun to watch, but thats about it.
I'm not much of a mecha fan xD
I actually didn't bother with it until I found this youtube video involving one of the VAs saying the classic catch phrase from the show. In fact, I only bothered to watch it just to hear it being said in the show. Then I only kept watching it because of: a) how over the top it was, b) the hilarity of things.

Makes me wonder why I've stopped watching it lately. Oh well. I don't think it's incredible, but as a good "random" series, it's great. I'm a sucker for comedy.

Locked in a bathroom in a multiple-story apartment building? She'll climb out the window with a very sturdy rope made of toilet paper (I read somewhere that this is actually possible, but I strongly urge you not to try this at home).
It is, the Mythbuster's confirmed it.

I know that I may the only one who's maybe either heard of it, or watched it (but, according to a recent topic that was made, I'm apparently not the only one, but still to make this count), but, Spider Riders is actually pretty decent one it gets rolling. Yes, it's a kids show, I don't care. It wasn't appealing at first.... but then I bothered to watch it because it was on tandem with Pokemon (yeah, now I think a few of you will recognize it now...).

Again, another show I have yet to finish.

C_L

Status
Not open for further replies.