• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Obsession (ongoing, PG-13 overall)

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down

The Pokemon Master

Master Trainer
I think you did, Butler. :p Anyway, that Chapter was once again short but brilliant. I loved the last line, it makes me want to quote this:

Pokémon the Movie 2000 said:
"I'm afraid I'm not a trainer, young lady. I am merely... a collector.
-Lawrence III/Jiraruden​

Guess we know where he got that from now, huh? And I wonder what his obsession with angels has got to do with anything... Well, at least I finally thought of his father's business relating to his collecting. That is likely how he gets his massive airship/assault engine.

By the way, my fic is interesting after you get past the Prologue (which is horribly clichéd). Just a warning that I generally give people now... I still want to fix that thing...

Until we meet again...
;150;

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
If you remember, the ceiling of his gallery room was decorated with angels.

I actually didn't invent the idea of Jiri's mother and her sad fate. I read it on a fansite about him, and althought I'm not sure how canon it is, I liked the idea. The site also said that she gave him his ruby ring.

I suppose I should get the book that had his ship blueprints, maybe this information would be in there, if it exists.

Ooohhh. It's getting meaty and juicy... The plot, that is.

Kinda clever how ya chose the name Asaph, considering its meaning. He certainly does seem mysterious. Looks like he'll possibly be a major influence on our young Jirarudan. :D

Wait. There's a book with his ship blueprints?! *jaw drops*

Anyway, amazing chapter. I'm adoring how this is playing out. Excellent work! Very, very nice.

~~buttons123

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
The meaning is why I chose it. Plus I needed an exotic sounding name.

You haven't seen the last of Asaph, that's for sure.

Yeah, it's not a full-on blueprint, but it has a cross-section of the ship, and details the gallery and the command chair, as well as explains the propellors and the turret.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Part seven! Hard to believe I've been doing this for seven weeks already...warning, this is another short one. I had to come up with a story behind the card, and this was the best I could do...

A Collector... I had heard of such people before, those who lived their lives for artifacts of the ancient world. The idea had intrigued me in mention, but I had not paid it much mind past that. But now I had to know more.

"A Collector..." I repeated softly, evidently enough to cause him to duck down to my level.

"Yes..." he smiled gently, meeting my gaze.

Eye contact was intensely uncomfortable for me at that time, so I looked away, back at the card. "...what do you know of this?" I asked him, running my finger over the thin gold sheet.

His smile broadened and his eyes danced. "I'm surprised your mother hasn't told you yet."

"...mother isn't here," I whispered, but evidently he did not hear me.

"It's a remarkable relic, really. There's only been a few on the market in recent years..." He paused to clear his throat before continuing. "Many years ago, that picture was found on the wall of an ancient building, deep in the jungle. One of the explorers who found it that day made a painting of it, but found that he could not capture the brilliant gold sheen of the original. So he hired a goldsmith and a jeweler to make these cards, and gave them to everyone involved in the expedition. There were over two hundred people who took part, so the cards are just common enough that people 'discover' them in their heirlooms, and rare and fine enough that people will pay dearly for them."

I looked at him out of the corner of my eye, still focused on the card. "Mama said it was in her family for many years. She told me it was called Ancient Mew."

"Yes, yes, that's what people have taken to calling it."

He still seemed excited by his find, but was calming, so I turned to look at him again. "...Tell me more."

"...more?" His eyebrows raised elegantly. "What did you have in mind, my boy?"

I looked back at the card, running my finger down the jeweled face. "...what does the writing say?"

"Hmm..." He put his hand to his face as though lost in thought. "It's based on a game they found around the same area, but I'm really not certain what it says. I'm sure some cursory research could be done to find out, though."

For the time, that was good enough for me. I later found out, but that is neither here nor there for the continuation of my tale.

Asaph was enthralling, regaling me with tales of his own treasures, and I listened, enraptured, to every word. But then he was called away to check on some specifications for his ship, leaving me to absorb everything he had told me.

A slow smile spread across my face, although at the time I did not know why.

Last edited:

The Pokemon Master

Master Trainer
Hmm... Quite interesting indeed. I actually never really wondered about the Ancient Mew card, so it's nice to see a backstory for it. And Jiraruden has been turned to the art of collecting...

Once again, great work! Wonder what'll happen next Friday?

Until we meet again...
;150;

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Yeah, I had to think of something realistic for him to get his hands on...

And thanks for reviewing!

Deathborn_606

Power of the mind
You could do better in length but yet I'm really liking your plots and backstory's for stuff like the Mew Card.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Aww, thanks you guys.

Geez, I have to keep up with this! Sorry for being a day or so late! ^^;

Anyway, it's getting very interesting! Backstories are really nice. I'm really glad you used one about the Mew Card. Throughout the story so far, Jirarudan has been very quiet, and it seems like he's spoken the most in this chapter. But that's a good thing. He needs to open up to someone.

Great chapter and I can't wait till next Friday!

~~buttons123

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Well, he tends to be rather introverted, what with his ship being basically his own private world...but yes, he does talk a lot in the movie. To everything he can, really--his computer, the Birds, himself...

Asaph will bring out a lot of Jiri's attributes in later chapters.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Now it's time for Chapter Eight! You all know the drill by now.

I could not wait to speak to him again. That night and the following morning, I was quite frustrated. Speaking with Asaph had been as though I was shown another world, brighter than this, but his departure me shoved back into the grey tones of reality.

It felt different with him. He spoke of things so distant and strange, but in such a way that felt as though I had known them my entire life, and I craved more.

Eagerly, I sat at the desk my father had set up for me, and waited for Asaph to arrive. I was so excited that I could not work on the sketch from the day before, though my Mew card lay before me, glimmering in the light from the entryway.

Hours I waited, not moving from that spot. The swirls of work around me went unnoticed, the sounds and sweat of the factory passing me by, until finally he entered. Instead of heading off to speak with one of the engineers as he usually did, he immediately looked in my direction, and his face lit up to see that I was indeed present.

I smiled at him, the only thing I could think to do, and he approached me. "Young master Jirarudan, how does the day find you today?" he asked.

"Quite well, and you?"

He placed a hand on my shoulder, and I did not struggle away as I did from others who did the same. "Very well, now that I'm here. I was looking forward to seeing you again." A warm smile settled on his face, and he leaned down to whisper to me. "I could hardly wait to come here today. We have much to talk about, don't we?"

I nodded. "I think so, yes. I could hardly wait for you to arrive," I confessed, hoping that my expression conveyed my thoughts as well as the words I spoke. "I dreamed of what tales you might tell me."

"Very well then!" he proclaimed, pulling a chair over from against the wall and setting it near my own. "Tell me, my boy, have you ever heard the tale of the Eye of Dawn?"

We spoke for hours; or rather he did, and I listened with utmost attention. Several times I noticed my father watching us, but he did not disturb us until nearly an hour to close, when he took Asaph into the factory proper with him. But I was satisfied, at least momentarily. Asaph's stories had left me in a near-trance, as though my mind had left my body and was ensconced in the legends of which he spoke. With a tired smile, I slumped down in my chair and closed my eyes, letting the etherealness that still hung in the air linger as long as I could.

For a brief moment, I thought I heard my mother call my name. But I opened my eyes and it was only Helen.

"Jiri?" she repeated, leaning down to my level. "Your father told me to come get you. He has something he wants to ask you."

Reluctantly I slid off the chair and away from the desk, feeling as though I was abandoning a part of myself. I was pleased to notice that Asaph was in my father's office, but even his presence could not alleviate the feeling that I had been torn from a dream world. My father gestured for me to sit down and I did, and the weight of the world forced me into place.

Asaph's hand closed lightly around my shoulder and I felt slightly better, but not enough to make a difference.

"Jiri, as you know," my father began, "my work keeps me very busy. I'm not able to spend the time with you that you need."

I nodded absently, not really caring what he said.

"I know how much you love art, and when I saw you and Asaph hit it off, well..." His voice cracked as he spoke, and he paused to clear his throat. "Jiri...I've spoken with Asaph, and we came up with an idea I think you'll like."

Looking back, I may not have considered it if my father had said it. But he yielded the floor to Asaph to finish the thought. Asaph squeezed my shoulder to get my attention, and smiled at me when I looked up at him. "Jiri...how would you like to spend some time with me?"

I have no clear memory of the moment immediately following his words, as I am fairly certain that I blacked out for a split second. I grabbed his hand--hard, I recall, as he winced slightly--and jolted up from the chair to face him. "I would love it!" I blurted. "I...I would love to!"

In the background, my father continued, something about socializing me or some such rot. But I didn't care.

We made plans to meet in three days time, when Asaph would take me to the Viridian museum. The days between were the longest in my life.

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Why thank you.

The Pokemon Master

Master Trainer
Whoo! I'm BACK! Anyway, sorry, I didn't review this yesterday. So Jiraruden's going to live with Asaph (at least for a little while)... For some reason I'm torn between thinking that the guy has ulterior motives or is just plain nice. Oh well... Perhaps Asaph is the one he will obtain his airship from. The dad's business has to have something to do with that. Anyway, marvelous Chapter as usual! Can't wait untill next week!

Until we meet again...
;150;

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I agree with The Pokemon Master about Asaph's motives. He seems just a bit too nice. Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting odd vibes about the guy. =/

Anyway, great chapter! I'm really interested to see what's gonna happen next! =D

~~buttons123

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
So Jiraruden's going to live with Asaph (at least for a little while)...

Actually no, he's just going to do things with him. Jiri's still going to live with his father.

And yes, Asaph certainly is...interesting. He'll get even more...interesting...as the fic progresses.