• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Obsession (ongoing, PG-13 overall)

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Beautiful, beautiful. I haven't allowed myself lately to present a fiction with such expansive praise as I am about to shower here, but I have exceptions. This can easily be one of the most underappreciated fictions I've seen.

First of all I love your style--ambiance would be more accurate--it's brought about as sublimely by the refined opulence of Jirarudan's surroundings as the beautiful little motifs and emotional themes you've created for the psychology of this very interesting child. To follow the developments in the feelings and the thoughts and the people in his life gives a sort of delight that I have reserved only for the darkest of tragedy since my shift in tastes. This fiction needs more attention and possibly a moderately large fanbase.

And, to add to it, the fiction appears very certainly to be a downfall plot at heart. Jirarudan says it in the beginning; it's a chronicle of his fall into the state he is at present date, and things like these warm my heart. I can see several of the themes of his which will eventually be corrupted to the state we see him in the Power of One, and it will be magnificent to see them corrupt, and fairly interesting to see how you'll handle it given your current gentle style.

I'm beginning to wonder if he ever sees Veronica again afterwards. She's beginning to look not so much a character as a theme and a demonstration of Jirarudan's experiences with society. Only a whim of mine. Also, do you have any specific decision regarding the pronunciation of Jiraruden's name? It's a Japanese approximation, after all, and to speak it in it's original way would be a little awkward with the sort of pronunciations one would think of in Jiraruden's company. Speaking it with an Anglic accent, indeed, only makes it more unusual.

Well, I am very glad that I was introduced properly to this fiction. I dearly hope its current hiatus is only like one of mine: hardly significant, but a quirk, with full expectation of a next chapter at some future point of time.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Yaaaay!

Yeah, I have plans for Veronica, but they're not...ohh, to say anything more would be a spoiler. Of sorts. You're right about one thing you said in reference to her, though, but I won't say what.

Six months since the last chapter is long, but it's not the longest. There was a stretch where I didn't write anything for over a year.

As far as the pronunciation, it's apparently pronounced ji-ra-ru-da-n, but to pronounce each syllable would be aukward. I tend to say it JI'-ru-dan, but a friend pronounces it ji-RAH-ru-dan. So I'm not sure, and since it's never said in dialogue, I can't really go by anything spoken.

It's so hard to get into the right mood to write this fic. Usually I can write for him pretty easily, but this fic has a very unusual mindset. Not to mention I have to research a whole bunch--that's one of the things holding up the next chapter; I have to look into some stuff. But then a key thing is, of course, his future ship, which breaks our world's laws of physics, so there's really no way to research something like that.

I think I've been right about my characterization though. Everything I've found out about him after writing has meshed with elements of the story. Such as when I found out that, according to his character sketch sheet, he wears a long-sleeved shirt under his...whatever that thing is he wears in the movie. And I've been writing him as mildly autistic with sensory issues. A lot of people with issues like that wear heavier clothes because of the added pressure, even in inappropiate weather. And his movie is in tropical islands in the middle of summer.

Honestly, I was worried you wouldn't like it because the tone is so far removed from fics like Take. I suppose it's just a different sort of darkness.

ChloboShoka

Writer
Yay a fan fic for Jirarudan.
I always loved his character and you have portayed him exellantly. His charactration is portayed very well. S I gotta say well done for that. The story is moving along nicely.

ChloboShoka

Writer
Yay a fan fic for Jirarudan.
I always loved his character and you have portayed him exellantly. His charactration is portayed very well. S I gotta say well done for that. The story is moving along nicely.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Awww!

And you have good timing. I started work on chapter 18 a few days ago and I hope to have it up in a few weeks.

...what? Yeah, "time frames" have never been my strong suit.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Ok, ok, "a month and a half" is still "a few weeks", right? OBSESSION 18 is live! In which...well...just read. Also I hear tell about a fanfic contest, so if you're so inclined to spare a vote, WELL then! Anyway, enjoy!

My father and I hardly spoke at all over the next few days, which suited me just fine. He tried to project his facade of doting parent, but I would never let him get to me. Every time he looked at me, it was with that downcast expression meant to inspire pity. What a fool.

He replaced the book I had ripped, but felt the need to tell me how expensive it had been. It would mean nothing to him to dip into that money he sat upon and never used; there was no use trying to make me feel for something that had been entirely his fault.

In the meantime, I busied myself with my studies. I would never admit it to /him/, but as I had told Asaph, I was beginning to take a shine to science. I decided that if I kept it to myself, it would be an acceptable interest.

My father would have insisted that it was in my blood or something clichéd like that, but the reality was simple. Science is facts, it's the way things are. And facts are constant, staying the same no matter if people see them for what they are or not.

It was like art in so many ways. People will banter about the meanings of the pieces, but the pieces themselves will always be the same, unchanging despite whatever meanings people attribute to them.

And like art, it was beautiful. What a wonder it was to know such things, the secrets of the universe itself! Science is the divine, that which only a few can ever understand, and art is a reflection of that same power.

For his part, my father was busy with work, not only in the factory, but with blueprints. It had been years since his last ship design premiered, and he had been hit by two new ideas, so he had taken to his office in his spare time. He had asked Helen to watch me, but I scarcely needed such a thing, and she agreed. She was a far more connective person than he was, yet we rarely spoke. Perhaps that was part of it, but I didn't want to ruin it.

One time, a telephone call from Asaph brought me out of my room. The only telephone on the second floor was in my father's bedroom, another sign of his irrationality. He insisted that I had to be social, and yet forced me into his world to follow through with that when I wished to have remote contact. It was really no wonder I preferred spending time with Asaph versus speaking to him distantly.

Asaph had traveled overseas, in search of ancient treasure as he always did. No, that's not true, most of his treasures were from the past five hundred years. But this was from a time long passed, longer by far than his normal scope. This quest had taken him to Lopatin, a narrow spit of a region far to the north that brushed against the continent as though the two were hesitant to touch.

I answered the telephone in the living room; better there than in the confined space defined by my father. Asaph greeted me and immediately told me how cold it was there. "And it's very difficult to find a suitable coat in this part of the region," he added.

"Did you make the acquisition?" I asked, smiling genuinely for what seemed like the first time in an eon.

He took in a long breath. This was what he had called for, after all, but he had to have a proper introduction. "Jiri..." he let out, hushed, "it's the most magnificent jewel I've ever had the honor of viewing. And now it's mine...it's mine after so long."

He had told me of the jewel when we first met. The Eye of Dawn, the brilliant pokéball-sized white opal that had once crowned the scepter of a priestess in Tirari...it had been his goal for decades. He rarely spoke of it to me or other Collectors, but when he left to procure it, he was breathless and shivery. Obviously he would never show this side of himself to just anyone, but even so I hoped that I would be calmer in such a situation, even to no one but myself. "I'm glad...it must be stunning."

"I can't wait for you to see it, Jiri. It's...it's perfect. It's the most ideal thing I've ev--" And he stopped mid-word and cleared his throat. "You'll understand when you see it. I could never do it justice."

His voice had dropped to the point where I could scarcely hear it and I had to focus entirely to do so. "I look forward to it," I told him softly, in keeping with his tone.

There was silence on the line for a moment, and I wondered if he hadn't been cut off until he resumed speaking, in his normal voice. "So your birthday is this month, isn't it?"

"No, it was last week. You left shortly before it." It had been a small thing without any fuss, hardly worth mentioning.

"...oh." Again he lapsed into silence, this lasting for quite a bit longer. I was about to address him when he continued. "Well, I'm sorry I missed it..."

"It doesn't matter," I dismissed quickly, waving my hand although he wouldn't see it. "I've already told people I was nine anyway."

"You did, I see..." he mused, finally deciding on a simple "You shouldn't do that."

"Pardon?" He confused me sometimes, although he always had a higher purpose for doing so, so I waited.

But his speech was slow and halted. "You...don't want to be older, Jiri. You should stay young for as long as you can. It's...it's really best." He stumbled over the words in a way I'd never heard him do before.

I remained still for several seconds, trying to think of what to say and cursing myself for the delay. "But now I *am* nine, so it doesn't matter, right?"

"No, I-I suppose it doesn't," he admitted, with a pang of reluctance to it.

"...when will you be back in Kanto?" I asked, to clear the air more than anything else.

"Oh yes!" That seemed to snap him out of whatever plagued him. "I'm going to remain here for at least another week. Lopatin is rich in history, and it's been a long time since I've been here, so I'd like to revisit some places. Oh, but when I come back, I'll have a surprise for you."

"For my birthday? You don't have--"

He chuckled. "Oh no, it's just that we'll have a new student joining us shortly. I think you'll get along wonderfully."

I doubted it, but I had to trust him. "That's good to hear."

We spoke for a bit longer before he was called away, and since I was downstairs I decided to make myself some lunch. When I was studying, I could ignore hunger or other needs for far longer than I could when I wasn't absorbed in something.

I opened the refrigerator just as my father rushed in from the factory, scrambling for something on the dining room table. "Have to fi--oh, Jiri! Tell you what, come out and see me in my office when you're done. I've got a client there now, but--here it is!--there's something I want to go over with you." He grabbed the sheaf of papers and ran back out.

Peculiar. Although the factory wasn't without its interests, for him to speak with me out there was unusual of late. At least he recognized that the days were past where I would sit in the corner and attempt to draw, something I was, in retrospect, never very good at. Nevertheless, I returned my attention to finding something edible.

The food in that house was horrid; nothing but the simplest of things. A short time ago I would have eaten it with no issue, but speaking with Asaph at his mansion made me reconsider many things I had previously taken for granted. The thought of eating something as base as a processed hot dog was repugnant to me now, where I had tolerated it not long ago. But that was precisely what I had, microwaved to tastelessness and wrapped in a slice of bleached white bread and adorned with ketchup so sugary that my front teeth stung, something I had never noticed before.

How could my father live like this? No no, how could *I* live like this? I at least knew better.

I choked down the food, finding it barely tolerable while a month ago I'd have eaten it without a thought. I would have to learn to dine like a gentleman if I was to ever become one, I mused as I brushed stray crumbs from my shirt. I had to be presentable before I entered the factory, in case the employees saw me.

But none of them even looked my way for more than a glance. Even with as much as I had changed these past months, as distant as I had been of late, I still escaped their notice as simply another fixture of the factory.

As anticipated, someone was in the office with my father, and through the windowed walls he looked familiar, but I could not place him. Still, his presence made me uncomfortable, the tinge of a painful memory dancing at the corners of my mind.

I occupied myself with thoughts of the future, what my own collection would someday entail. I could almost see it; my treasures surrounding me, filling my mansion at every available space, scaling the walls and perched in the hallways on elegant columns of the finest marble...or was marble too commonplace? I'd have to find a way of setting myself apart from even my fellow Collectors. Well, Asaph could help me with that when it came time. For now I could plan the overarch and fill in the details later.

"--a pleasure dealing with you again," I heard and the words cut through my daydream, trailing shivers down my back and fastening me back in my surroundings.

"As always. Give your mother my best." That was my father as he shook the man's hand in the doorway. "Jiri, come on."

As I stood, the man about to leave looked me up and down, and his thin mouth tightened into a smirk. "Your son is becoming quite the gentleman," he said in a clipped voice, adjusting the line of his black suit, hand nearly obscuring the red insignia over his heart.

I smiled, hoping it was a disarming look to pave over the unsettling feeling I still could not shake, and my father clasped my shoulder. "That's my boy!" he said proudly, and with that the disturbed sense was gone, filled in with revulsion. I wasn't his boy! Well...no, I was, but only in the biological way. He had nothing to do with my path or my future, and he certainly did nothing to encourage me to be a man of the world.

But I in turn did nothing to dislodge his grip.

The man had left, a familiar dash of cologne in his wake. A brief flash in my mind of ivory and silver, and it was gone as suddenly as it had appeared. "He's very perceptive," my father started. "I've told him about you, but to pick up on something like that is pretty impressive."

"It doesn't matter," I said, belatedly aware of how non sequitur that sounded. "You said you had something to tell me."

"Oh, that's right!" He snapped his fingers and headed back towards the office, the implication for me to follow unsaid. I held still for a moment, knowing what he wanted and waiting for him to put it to words, before I realized that he never would.

He was at his desk when I opened the door--of course he had closed it behind him, even though he knew I was behind him. "What is this about?" I asked him, taking the seat across from him before he could extend the invitation. If he was going to be less than polite I would act in kind.

"Well, I've been..." And he stopped, seeming to think about something. "First off, I want to make sure. I've never seen you take an interest in pokémon, so you probably wouldn't go on a trainer's journey next year, right?"

/Or ever/ I mentally added, but confirmed his query. Living things held no passion for me and he should have known that long before asking.

"Ok..." Another pause, this time considerably longer. "I...I was saving some money for you. In case you went on a journey. But since it doesn't look like you will, then I was thinking of giving it to you now."

"Are you now." I looked out the window, towards the factory door. There was a small white bird fluffing itself in the open entryway, craving the heat put off by the factory proper but unwilling to go any further.

"Jiri...tomorrow I'm going to go to the bank and transfer 50,000 p into your account."

It took me a moment. At first I wasn't certain I heard him correctly, or even at all, and was about to ask him to repeat himself, but turning back towards him and seeing his expression told me everything. I had heard him right, he was telling me the truth, he was giving me--

"Jiri?"

"What?" I blurted out, more of a clarification of his statement than a reply to his attention.

"You're so stone-faced, I wasn't sure if you heard me." He chuckled. "I said I'm--"

"Yes!" It was a shout, quite undignified, and I forced myself to keep my composure although my mind was racing. Why would he give me so much money? This was my father after all, the man who never made an effort, the man who always insisted he knew what was best for me and didn't know a thing, and this man was giving me how much? Words failed me and rather than make a further fool of myself, I lapsed into silence.

"Now, I know you're going to be using that money, but there's going to be some limits." He continued on about monthly access and investments and such things, and I nodded furiously at each point. I heard them and processed them but I don't think he knew that.

The next day I accompanied him to the bank early in the morning and watched the transfer take place. All the way back I held the bank receipt showing the total amount, and I thought maybe my father wasn't so bad after all.

But when he returned to the blueprints on the dining room table, the first thing he picked up was that book, and I knew I had been right before.

Last edited:
!`

OMG Ob18!! Yay! It's been awhile; it really has.

Gah Jiri... What can I say; his personality is portrayed in numerous ways here: innocent, philosophical, bratty -- it's awesome. Glad to see we can really get in touch with his emotions, especially during this integral part of his development.
I'm really loving this white bird symbolism/motif you've got going on, definitely an interesting touch.
And I'm fascinated with the Eye of Dawn; it's definitely quite mysterious and intriguing.

Overall, I look forward to seeing how things will play out. This has been a really interesting and diverse chapter!
And man, Jiri is such a little brat. I could complain about that for hours. Haha
And OMG Asaph, you are such a creeper. Seriously XD

~buttons123

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I want to smack Jiri in this fic. But then I want to smack him in the movie too, get some sense into him because we all know he has none.

[spoil]If you read my fic Frustration, the Eye of Dawn is in that.[/spoil]

The phone call with Asaph was meant to take up only a scant few lines. It mutated into something huge. By contrast, the conversation with Corbin was going to be the primary focus of the chapter, and we can see how that changed.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Yaaaay, glad you like it! Any further thoughts?

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
You'll like this: I nominated Obsession for the fanfiction awards. It deserves a place certainly, however unobtrusive it might be.

Interesting to see Veronica will soon be joining us again; I suppose I was wrong about her never returning. It seems to be one of those little narrative tricks of chance that Asaph finds exactly that girl independently. Here we see the beginnings of a society between them more advanced than meeting at a party. I should probably not speculate too far in case my whole assumption is incorrect.

Notes:

1. Jiri is starting to learn aristocracy. Nice to see him condescending other people over the appreciation of art and science while preferring complete emotional composure over Asaph's intellectual fever. He's got all the makings of a Lawrence III, I can see it.
  2. Said aristocracy is, at the moment, too fledgling to give him any serious mental psychoses or consequences, it seems. All in due time.
  3. The quote

But none of them even looked my way for more than a glance. Even with as much as I had changed these past months, as distant as I had been of late, I still escaped their notice as simply another fixture of the factory.

so accurately represents the thoughts of one who, having lived without knowing in an unsocial, exceptional existence for several years, suddenly realizes how much this fact makes him superior to everyone else and actively watches out for attention that I laughed.
  4. It also amuses me that Dad the neglectful is now supplying large sums of money to a very spoiled child. I can guess how this might turn out...

Well. Made me happy. Hope you do this sort of thing often again.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
[spoil]Yes, you're correct. Shhhh[/spoil]

Corbin's never been truly neglectful. He tries his best, but his best honestly isn't good enough. He wasn't prepared to be a father when Jiri was born, and it never occured to him in eight years to try in case it came up, which it did when Gloria died, and now he's stuck with a kid who he loves but has no idea how to handle or deal with. Especially since, despite what Corbin stubbornly insists upon, Jiri is far from the normal child he thinks of.

Currently he's not quite condescending of Asaph, more of purely baffled. He still has his own reaction to the angel painting fresh in his mind (it happened only during the summer), and isn't about to contradict anyone else's feelings for art...at least not their reactions. If they hated something that he loved, he'd probably take it as a personal affront.

The line about no one noticing him in the factory was also more puzzlement. For all the attention he got when he first arrived, now he finds himself little more than window dressing. And if their reaction to him was attention once, and he's changed so much, shouldn't they be paying him *more* attention out of curiosity? It never occurs to him that no one in the factory notices that he's changed, or that they'd think of him as anything but the boss's son, come to live with him that spring and seen every so often since. That anyone would get used to him is what puzzles him, which I suppose is a form of superiority, because he sure as heck wouldn't pay any of them any special mind (notice how they're always refered to as, not to be punny, a collective, a single entity--the workers in the factory--rather than any individuals).

And Jiri already has severe mental psychoses, he doesn't need the aristocracy coming along and giving him any more. Hahahaha.

I wouldn't consider Jiri spoiled, at least not at this point in his life (although he'll certainly become such). His mother doted, but they lived simply. His father loves, but not nearly enough. Asaph would be the one to spoil him, but more with expectations than any material goods.

Expect me to "do this sort of thing" soon enough--I try to write a chapter each November while everyone's doing NaNo.

And thank you so much for the vote!

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
OMFG!!! A Lawrence III fanfiction?! YAY!!!! He's so cool! (and gorgeous)!!!! He's my favorite bad guy (besides Maxie and Ardos)!!! Can't wait for next chappie!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Then you should look into joining the comm advertised in my sig (although you'll need an LJ...however you don't need one to comment to posts others have made).

I write a fair amount about him...hmm, for some reason I haven't put much of it up here though. He's...very interesting to write for, and it can be quite draining at times to do so because he's so far removed from the situations around him.

Have you heard his image song? It's really awesome.

Anyway, what do you think of the story?

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
Wow, that's flattering, but... What's an LJ?

Anyway, your story is very well written. It actually seems that Lawrence is telling the story himself!!

As I said, can't wait!;492-s;

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
LJ=LiveJournal. You can check out the link if you like.

Getting into character is quite an endeavor. Most characters I can turn on and off, but he stays with me...

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
So my yearly writing month has accomplished more than one thing. Not only did I complete Ob19 ahead of schedule, I also edited the previous chapters to flow better, to correct mistakes, and for various stuff. Hehehe. Anyway, onward!

Asaph had returned, bringing the chill with him as though it had come carefully packaged in the crate with his beloved gem. Snow fell lightly, delicately, as it never had on my hometown. It had always been heavy and deep, and mother and I often had to remain inside for days. This dusting gave the town the feeling of spirits, and the constant shiver that ran through me had little to do with the cold.

That day, as even the faint light from behind thick clouds did nothing to dissipate the pallor of still morning, I dressed in the chilly room. The factory would warm the place; indeed, the house was never as cold as it would be without it due to the everpresent heat from the core furnace, but at this hour it wasn't nearly enough.

Following the scent of breakfast, I found not my father in the kitchen but Helen. "Oh, Jiri!" she chirped, turning a pancake over on the skillet. "I knew you'd be getting up soon, but I wasn't sure exactly when Asaph was coming."

It took me a moment. I had in fact left a note on the counter that I would be meeting with Asaph in the morning, and he usually came to fetch me quite early, but papa never seemed to notice such things. For Helen to do so took me by surprise. "What's that smell?" I asked. There was a strange scent, familiar, but nothing like papa's pancakes.

"Oh, just some of this." She scooped more onto the skillet before handing me a small bottle off the counter. "I brought it from home. It's orange extract, gives the pancakes a little flair."

The bottle was already uncapped and a caricature of oranges wafted around. It was as though someone had created an olfactory sketch of an orange, recognizable, and at once meaning to and not meaning to be one. "How very strange," I must have said, or something like it, because she laughed.

"Strange?" she chuckled, gently retrieving the bottle. "I guess so. I picked it up in college. My roommate was from Trinacria and she loved stuff like this. I thought she overdid it most of the time with all the food, but this is pretty good. Here, try some." In a move quicker than I had thought her capable of, she had torn off a piece and pressed it to my lips.

First was the scent, like an orange perfume, and the taste carried that to the back of my mouth. There was a sharpness around the edges that I didn't recognize, that had the makings of a brilliant contrast, as art critics go on about things like light and shadow. It clung to my palate as though it wanted me to taste every morsel, and would not let go until I did so. I eagerly set into the plate she had put on the counter for me, after a moment remembering to check my composure, but I was pleased that I had kept to my manners.

"So I've heard about your hobby," she said, leaning next to me as the next batch sizzled.

Did she mean collecting? My studies? ...god, please let it be my studies. If my father ever found out about the true direction of my time with Asaph, it would be the end of everything. He had no understanding of the finer things, and Asaph had said that people like that meet people like us with hostility. Slowly I lowered my eyelids and, as calmly as I could, asked "Pardon?"

A gentle smile touched her lips but it did nothing to calm my racing nerves. "Your pictures. Corbin says you're buying up magazines and asking the factory workers to bring in their old ones so you can put the pictures up in your room. You know, I'd like to see that sometime, when you're not getting ready to go somewhere."

I relaxed, letting out a sigh and setting down the fork that my hand had tightened around without my notice. I supposed I was further away from polite society than I wanted to think. Although with my father's ignorance, my chosen path could remain set.

Soon after, there was a knock at the door, and my heart settled. My initial nervousness at Helen's statement, although she had meant nothing of the sort by it, had lingered. "That will be Asaph. I'll be back this evening."

"All right, call if you'll be later than eleven. Corbin says you have an essay to write up."

"I wrote it last night." My remote tutor assigned us essays regularly, and I had done mine on a painting I had taken a shine to. I couldn't possibly study it properly until I saw it in person, but it existed on a distant continent, far beyond my present means, so I had to settle for pictures.

"That was fast. But you're so smart it's no problem for you, is it?" she said as she followed me to the entryway and opened the closet.

"Not usually. It's very simple work." I threw open the door and was immediately disappointed.

Rather than Asaph, his chauffeur Igasho was waiting for me. But, like a gentleman himself, Igasho bowed to me. "Master Asaph is awaiting the arrival of the new student. He sent me to fetch you in his stead."

I nodded. "Thank you. I'll be out in a moment."

As I started to close the door, Helen caught it. "Aren't you going to invite him in?" she asked, handing me my coat. "It's cold out there."

Pausing, I considered this. He hadn't asked to enter, and he had the car. On the other hand, protocol demanded that he not make such a request on his own. A second later I reopened the door. "Would you like to come in?"

Helen smiled. I couldn't see it, but I am positive of it.

The drive was mostly in silence. Although it was nearly eight am, the world was still cast in darkness, and the drive from Seafoam took only half an hour. Sleep tugged at me, although I had been well-rested the night before, and I caught myself nodding off. The soft music from the radio wasn't helping matters any either, with delicate violins as subtle as cobwebs emanating from the speaker.

"Sir," I heard a voice saying; Igasho of course, "we've arrived."

"Of course, of course..." I muttered, shaking my head to clear my mind as the car rolled to a stop.

Inside I was greeted by an attending servant I hadn't met before, who took my coat and leaned down to untie my shoes. Instinctively I pulled back, but he told me that the rain meant I would have to change into slippers, which he lay before me. They were soft and formed and just my size, and I wondered briefly how Asaph knew such a thing until I remembered that he had purchased a great deal of my wardrobe.

"They're in the sitting room," the servant informed me. "Follow me."

It was the room where Asaph and I had played chess, to the right of the entryway, and it dawned on me as I was led there that I hadn't given much thought to the new student. It didn't matter, though, since she was waiting just past the doorway.

I knew I had met her before, as one remembers the form of a sculpture. Not wanting to be impolite, I bowed to her, and she held out her hand. "Have you figured out what to do with it?" she asked with a smile before giggling airily.

Oh, that was it! I took her hand and whispered "Miss...Veronica," hoping that she hadn't caught my slight pause. There were so many people to remember, but I was learning them well. I glanced up at Asaph, standing off to the side, and he nodded, so I brushed my lips against the back of her hand and smiled up at her.

"You're learning. But that's good, that's what I'm here for too." Another laugh and she gently pulled her hand back. "Now rise, Sir Jiri."

I had to smile at that. "I'm no sir."

"Your Highness then?"

"I'm no king either."

She leaned in towards me. "Then what are you?"

Asaph touched her shoulder. "The both of you are here to learn. And someday you may associate with kings and nobility as easily as some people associate with their grocers." Reaching over with his other arm, he pulled me in. "Now come, I was introducing Miss Veronica to Madame Remi."

He spoke of one of his first acquisitions, a piece by a painter known for fantasy sequences fashioned so realistically that she was rumored in her lifetime to have the ability to enter new worlds. Veronica seemed taken by the use of color to represent emotion; rather than relying on greys and blues for sadness, Madame Remi had tinted the defeated warriors in white. I had wondered initially if this was to represent their passage as spirits, and Asaph had said that they were very much alive. But then he had stopped and wondered himself if they weren't lost souls just the same.

What had captivated me, however, was the realism. The fighters were as real as seeing people through a television screen, and the forest looked as though someone had shrunk a real one. But the detail that had caught my eye was the bent old man off to the side. He was nearly obscured, standing in a shadow of deep purple as nearly blending in with the ruined walls of the ancient, overgrown building serving as the backdrop. He seemed forlorn, staring at the soldiers with an utterly lost expression.

Veronica had noticed him as well, holding her finger a respectful distance from the canvas as she indicated him. "Was he the one the warriors had fought?" She was correct; Asaph had told me that, but she had figured it out on her own, and so he brightened, but only briefly.

"What makes you say that?" he asked cautiously, not wanting to tip his hand too much.

"He's shaded in green, so I think he may be a forest guardian. But mostly it's the movement on his hands. They're a peculiar color, like she went over them in the faintest red, and they're blurred. Madame Remi didn't make mistakes like that, so it was intentional. He cast some sort of spell on them, and I think it made him lose his mind."

"Lose his mind?" I blurted out. It was a perplexing statement and I felt I had to question it.

Asaph scowled at me but it quickly passed. "Go on, Veronica."

She laughed, and that too dissipated. "His expression. He hadn't intended to hurt them so badly, and I don't think he was entirely there at the time."

"Hmm. Jirarudan, why don't you tell Miss Veronica your conclusion."

"Oh?" Why would he want me to do that? "All right. When I first saw this, I thought as though his powers were beyond his control because he had only just come by them. They're quite new, and so he doesn't know what to do with them."

Veronica's face lit up. "Yes, that makes sense! Look how he's standing among younger plants."

Oh, was he? I hadn't noticed that, and based my assumption on his expression alone.

But Asaph drew us both together, between us and kneeling. "Such brilliant minds you both possess! Such brilliant Collectors you'll be!"

We spent the next several hours similarly discussing and dissecting further works. She was introduced to Milotic, which seemed to have mellowed sinced I first saw it.

"Does it sing?" Veronica asked, petting it and remarking on the feel of the scales.

"It...hasn't in a few weeks," Asaph admitted with some reluctance. "The water is being heated, and it doesn't seem to like that, but it's a necessity in this climate."

"Well, just the same, I'm glad Ralts lives inside with me."

Asaph seemed quite impressed by her, and in hindsight I believe it was because she understood why keeping it in a pokéball wasn't an option.

Soon it was time for lunch, and I again sat at Asaph's right, Veronica at his left. The serving girl set the plates before us, uncovering them to reveal chicken with what I later learned to be lingonberries, and a bed of whipped potatoes. Veronica said she had had such a dish at the Castle, the poshest establishment in Viridian, and had asked if it could be prepared.

But something was wrong. A cloud of garlic choked nearly everything, and the taste of it in the potatoes was nearly unbearable.

"Pardon me," Asaph said simply, and excused himself from the room, into the kitchen. Veronica and I waited for a moment before either of us spoke, and begun at the same time, as voices behind the door were raised.

"So you're from Seafoam, right?" she asked, clipping my own comment, but it was no loss at all.

"I am. There's not much there if you're not a tourist or a surfer though."

She shook her head with a force that could nearly be described as violent. "Don't you know what lives there? It's amazing!"

"Um..." Such a question confounded me, but she continued without me.

"Articuno, you silly boy! It lives on one of the islands off the coast, but it's been spotted there a bunch of times."

Yet another familiar name...yes, it was one of the Legendary Birds Asaph had spoken of. But that meant it was connected to...I could scarcely believe it. "A...did you say Articuno? The legendary Bird of Ice?"

"Yep! The one and only! Well, it's the prettiest, anyway."

I lived near to a Legendary, moreover one with a link to my Lugia...the very consideration was overwhelming, and I had to take a drink of tea to settle myself. "Beautiful..." I whispered.

"Yes...beautiful. I have to start saying that instead of 'pretty', don't I? But really it's both. Although nothing compared to Cresselia, or Equuorn, or things like that."

I had heard of neither before then, and would later discover that the latter was a unicorn possessing healing powers, native to a region far around the world that I have yet to visit. Now I doubt I ever shall. But I get ahead of myself.

"Sorry. I love the Legendaries..." She grinned conspiratorially, but paused as a woman stomped out of the kitchen, tears running down her face and a high toque clenched in her fist. Asaph followed, silent but quite stern. Once the two had exited into the hallway, Veronica picked up where she left off. "I want one. I want all of them really, but I'd have nowhere to put them. But to have just one...if I had to pick, it'd have to be Cresselia. It's the crescent moon, and absolutely stunning. And they say it brings good dreams and fights the bad ones. Why, you'd never have to worry about nightmares again!" A shout from outside wavered her smile, but she pulled it back again just as swiftly. "Jiri, do you know much about the Legendaries of...oh, where are you from again? Before Seafoam."

"An unpleasant, unimportant place. Nothing worth discussing, and nothing interesting in it." The words tumbled out rapidly and I had to cover my abruptness. She was someone I could tell, at least in moderation. "Veronica...what do you know of Lugia?"

There was silence, and her eyes widened. For a moment I thought I had somehow offended her. There was a lot about Lugia I had yet to discover, and apparently still is. But then she laughed. "It's the moon too, you know, to Ho-Oh's sun. But that's about all they have in common, I think. It lives on the sea floor, but that's really strange for a bird. Wouldn't it need hollow bones to fly? Unless it doesn't have them..." A pause while she took a drink, longer than usual. "I'm sorry. I tend to run at the mouth when I get started on them. That's why I didn't bring them up when we talked before at the party."

"Perfectly all right." I had relaxed at her eagerness. "It's a psychic type, isn't it? Maybe that protects it. Am I to assume no one's ever studied one?"

"There's not a lot known about it. Or really a lot of Legendaries. Just from the old stories, and a lot of those aren't reliable."

"Yes." I smiled, thinking of one of the few things I'd been able to find. "I doubt it can truly cause a forty-day storm merely by flapping." The thought of those majestic wings was enough to cause distraction, though, but I hardly had time for that.

"Personally, I think," she leaned in before continuing, "most of those are deliberate to keep people away. If the Legendaries had such terrible powers, we'd all be in trouble. I think the people who come up with this stuff are just, as they say, blowing smoke."

It made sense. There were many inanimate objects, jewels especially, rumored to be cursed. It would only stand to reason that people would imbue pokémon with such superstitions as well, particularly those ones that less enlightened people would see as holy.

Asaph approached then, so Veronica finished with a quick "Tell me if you see Articuno."

"I will," I smiled. The very idea was thrilling. Logically I knew that it was unlikely; I had spent the past seven months of my life there and never heard a word about the beast, but emotionally I was stricken with excitement.

"I'm sorry for my absence," Asaph said, resuming his seat. "What did you two talk about?"

"Oh nothing," Veronica giggled. "Just shooting the breeze."

"I'm glad you're getting along." He seemed to be back to his old self, smiling kindly at us. "Elma will be preparing a replacement; it should be ready soon. In the meantime we're going to have an impromptu lesson--how to fire an employee."

I saw Kuri again years later, working as a waitress. I doubt she ever worked for society again.

The rest of the day passed in a similar manner to the first part, with Veronica and I unable to continue our conversation. She asked me for my telephone number, but because I would have to speak downstairs, I declined. However, the Tonio event was but a few weeks away, just past the first of the year, and Asaph insisted that we both attend.

Looking for wings of ice yielded nothing, but I watched over the ocean every day just the same.

:D
This has really come far. I'm so proud of you!!!
You know my thoughts thus far, but I'll still say that I can't wait to see what awesome stuff you can come up with in that mind of yours. Whatever it is, it's gonna be great. :]

This chapter has officially made my month complete.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
So far I've come, but I have so far to go yet.

Thank you, for your review and for all your help and everything.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
A gentle smile touched her lips but it did nothing to calm my racing nerves. "Your pictures. Corbin says you're buying up magazines and asking the factory workers to bring in their old ones so you can put the pictures up in your room. You know, I'd like to see that sometime, when you're not getting ready to go somewhere."

I haven't ever seen nerves race. I've known a heart to race, and probably blood too, but not nerves.

Aside from that isolated slip, the technical aspects were impeccable as ever. Good to hear the NaNoWriMo was successful in its own way. I myself didn't find entirely what I was looking for despite making the 50k words.

The problem with being a (technically) regular reviewer of a work such as yours is there is nothing to criticise. The amount of care spent on every individual word seems to become more concentrated in your shorter chapters, so that you see barely an error of any sort around the paragraphs. (This chapter, if I'm not mistaken, is a little on the large side by Obsession standards, but still fairly short by general SPPF conventions.)

It did seem slightly strange to me though that you would give such time and verbosity into describing the taste of orange flavoured pancakes. I can only understand it as a brief parody of his usual introspective enraptured way of seeing the delicacies of life, an application of his immortal art to the mundanity of good food.

I relaxed, letting out a sigh and setting down the fork that my hand had tightened around without my notice. I supposed I was further away from polite society than I wanted to think. Although with my father's ignorance, my chosen path could remain set.

Why exactly did he think this particular thought? I understand it but not its relevance to the situation, probably because I'm being thick at the moment. What I can think of is that he is so far from polite society at the moment, that he can pass by others in his house without being too conspicuously lofty; this is a disappointment and also a blessing, because it ensures his secrecy from his father. You might want to make it clearer in any case.

I found it amusing that Jirarudan sees people of repute as he would see a work of art, hence "I knew I had met her before, as one remembers the form of a sculpture." It also hints very strongly of the very slight attraction the two seem to have for each other, or at least that one has for the other.

I should like to know what background Veronica came from -- she is much more learned in the ways of fine living than Jirarudan, yet her experience with these ways is also a work in progress. It's possible that those around her did not really make any efforts to train her until some very few habits (such as using words like 'pretty') had already set in. It is also possible that she had a family similar to Jirarudan's, and started early or caught things more quickly. This seems unlikely, though.

So we see the first theme of legendary pokémon obsession. Veronica is more stricken with the desire for actual possession than Jirarudan at this moment, unless he too has dreams of capturing Articuno in his hopes of seeing it. But we see Jirarudan eventually go much farther than Veronica, who isn't in any canon I know of in the firs place, so something's at work here.