• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271

Not Giving a Crap
Anyone else out there have it?

Truthfully, I never went in and got tested for it (if they even have a test), but I believe without a doubt that I have it. It's pretty mild, but I have it. My biggest thing is handwriting. It's not even the quality of the writing, it's the way people right. If I see a curve or line out of place I stress over it to the extreme for some reason. That is why I love typing. Every letter is the same.
Oh, and I also hate when people say Liberry instead of Library. Of course, that could just be a pet-peeve.

So what about you guys? Anyone have OCD and if so how bad is it and what do you do to get over it? What kind of things to you obsess over?

NOTE: This thread is not meant to upset anyone with the disorder. It is simply to talk about it.

Meowth City

Staff member
I think I probably have it or maybe I'm just a perfectionist. I don't like it when things are out of place. When I start on something, I usually have to see it through, but then again I have bad attention span and often don't finish things straight away. Although I have never been tested, I think might have a mild case both OCD and ADD, which means I'm kinda screwed.

About the handwriting thing, I sorta have that myself. I have to write things very carefully and, if I screw up, I think 'damn, now I have to start again'. I spend a lot of time perfecting my signature because of this.

Last edited:

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271

Not Giving a Crap
I think I probably have it or maybe I'm just a perfectionist.
I'm a pessimistic perfectionist, so I'm even more messed up.

About the handwriting thing, I sorta have that myself. I have to write things very carefully and, if I screw up, I think 'damn, now I have to start again'. I spend a lot of time perfected my signature because of this.
I'm glad someone gets me. Everyone at school thinks I'm crazy. As for signatures, I just try to not look at them.

Dawn_Hero

Written Insanity~
When I was younger, I had OCD pretty badly when it came to washing my hands. I became obsessed with germs and so every single time I touched something outside I'd pretty much break down if I had to touch something of my own afterwards without seriously washing my hands. That includes the clothes I was wearing when I went outside; I'd have to take them off if I came inside, then wash my hands again. It got pretty brutal.

Of course, that was over half a decade ago. Now I just remain hygienic but don't take it to extremes such as that. No one would ever even guess I was OCD about that once. xD I still get grossed out by germs, like if someone were to not wash their hands after going to the bathroom then touch me, but I'm pretty relaxed about it now. The only thing now is that I stress symmetry in anything I draw or create. If one side doesn't match perfectly with the other I can hardly breathe until I perfect it hahah xD If I can't, I just throw away whatever I was working on. I seriously can't stand anything non-symmetrical, even though I know a lot of stuff looks better that way.

I don't really have anything I do to "get over it." It just went away after taking a few pills when I was 10 and hasn't really come back since. Granted, I still have a very, very mild case of it, but no one could ever really notice unless they spend weeks at a time with me and even then they'd be wondering if I really had it or not. :p

Last edited:

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271

Not Giving a Crap
When I was younger, I had OCD pretty badly when it came to washing my hands. I became obsessed with germs and so every single time I touched something outside I'd pretty much break down if I had to touch something of my own afterwards without seriously washing my hands. That includes the clothes I was wearing when I went outside; I'd have to take them off if I came inside, then wash my hands again. It got pretty brutal.
Remind me of my middle school years. During that time I was always running to the bathroom to wash my hands because I couldn't write when my hands were dirty. Yes, I know it's weird, but hey I'm a pretty weird guy. I'm basically over it now, though. (Or I subconsciously wash more than I use to. One of the two.)

Meowth City

Staff member
I'm glad someone gets me. Everyone at school thinks I'm crazy. As for signatures, I just try to not look at them.
Yeah, I get it. Now, I know that signatures are meant to be messed up looking (your name scribbled up), but I need to be the right kind of messed up otherwise it'll drive me crazy. Yeah, I am super messed up xP

Funny thing is that I'm not really that stressed out when it comes to washing your hands. I do it often when I'm about to eat or when it gets dirty, but not that frequently.

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271

Not Giving a Crap
Yeah, I get it. Now, I know that signatures are meant to be messed up looking (your name scribbled up), but I need to be the right kind of messed up otherwise it'll drive me crazy. Yeah, I am super messed up xP
I practiced my own signature so much, I could do it with my eyes closed. Of course, if I did I'd mess up and then I would obsess about that mistake.

Funny thing is that I'm not really that stressed out when it comes to washing your hands. I do it often when I'm about to eat or when it gets dirty, but not that frequently.
People just obsess about different things, I guess.

Meowth City

Staff member
I practiced my own signature so much, I could do it with my eyes closed. Of course, if I did I'd mess up and then I would obsess about that mistake.
Exactly, that describes me completely.
People just obsess about different things, I guess.
Yeah, that's true. I also obsess over the way things look - for example, my sig has to be perfectly positioned. I also obsess over spelling mistakes, to the point that I have to go back and correct myself when I notice I've made an error (which I'm doing right now).

Last edited:

Ryn

Growlithe Lover
I don't have it as bad as my brother and mother have it. For me, my OCD is usually a complusion to count things: lights on a sign, cracks on a sidewalk, the lines on a crosswalk... but it's not obsessive as much as it is a compulsion. I also have a little OCD about cleaning. I cannot stand when a place is dirty. I've annoyed so many people by coming into their house and starting to clean because it bothers me too much. I'm also OCD about my hygiene, and I don't like my food touching. This bothers me a lot. And spelling mistakes bother me to no end. I have to stop what I'm writing to go back and correct sometimes, because I know I misspelled a word.

My brother is one of those "it has to be even" OCD people. The number of ice cubes in his glass has to be even. You can't take an egg randomly out of the carton or he freaks. He hates odd numbers, and will only microwave his food if the number can be divided by five. We were at a restaurant the other day, and everything at his place setting had to line up before he was okay. His shampoo and conditioner have to be even.

My mother's is subtle. But she has a way everything has to be or she gets uncomfortable: the dishwasher has to be loaded a certain way, the silverware has to be a certain way in the drawer, certain things have to go certain places in the refrigerator, she has a morning routine and she has to follow it to a T or she freaks out. Her jewelry is color sorted, she organizes her coupons fanatically.

An ex of mine was actually diagnosed with OCD. She has to clean countertops time and time again. All her books, movies, and video games had to be in alphabetical order on her shelves. She couldn't touch or eat anything that was orange. She wouldn't drink from the same straw as me (even when we were dating) and would not use silverware that was not her own (yes, she carried silverware around in her purse). Everything had to be even: if I folded a paper and it was uneven, she'd take it and fix it. Every poster on her wall had to be at the same height from the ceiling and the same distance apart from each other. When she writes in her diary, in can never be the same colour pen as the entry she just wrote. She also nitpicks over grammar like no one I've ever seen before. And she would not turn her car off until the song she was listening to either finished or got to an even number.

Last edited:

Meowth City

Staff member
My brother is one of those "it has to be even" OCD people. The number of ice cubes in his glass has to be even. You can't take an egg randomly out of the carton or he freaks. He hates odd numbers, and will only microwave his food if the number can be divided by five. We were at a restaurant the other day, and everything at his place setting had to line up before he was okay. His shampoo and conditioner have to be even.
OMG, I'm a little bit like this. I like even numbers, or numbers that can be divided by five, but not to this extreme. In the sense that I have to leave the house or do a task at a time that adheres to those numbers. For instance, I like to leave at 2:00 on the dot, not at 2:01. It's not complusive, but I prefer to do things that way - I could just as easily not.

I don't know if it's actual OCD, but I can't stand for lights to be on when they shouldn't. My sister always, ALWAYS leaves the lights on in her bathroom and closet, and when I walk by I can't help but turn them off.

Aegon

My friend always says that I have OCD. xD My family becomes annoyed with my need for perfection a lot. Like, if the table mats are upside-down (I can tell, even if there is only a square pattern on them), I have to fix them. I've never been diagnosed with it, because I don't see it as proper OCD, just perfectionism. :p I like things to be right. Take my books for example, they're ordered by their release date. I spent two hours one day organising my magazines by their number. I didn't think it was a waste of time. Also, any lists I make must be in chronological or alphabetical order.

Last edited:

Meowth City

Staff member
I don't know if it's actual OCD, but I can't stand for lights to be on when they shouldn't. My sister always, ALWAYS leaves the lights on in her bathroom and closet, and when I walk by I can't help but turn them off.
I hate leaving the lights on. But for me, it's because I'm all about being eco-friendly.
My friend always says that I have OCD. xD My family becomes annoyed with my need for perfection a lot. Like, if the table mats are upside-down (I can tell, even if there is only a square pattern on them), I have to fix them. I've never been diagnosed with it, because I don't see it as proper OCD, just perfectionism. :p I like things to be right.
I feel the same way. To me, it's more perfectionism - not OCD. And my family also feel annoyed at me when I demand things to be perfect.

Aegon

I feel the same way. To me, it's more perfectionism - not OCD. And my family also feel annoyed at me when I demand things to be perfect.
Yeah. . . mine tends to become annoyed when I correct their incorrect grammar. That can happen a lot.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
About the handwriting thing, I sorta have that myself. I have to write things very carefully and, if I screw up, I think 'damn, now I have to start again'. I spend a lot of time perfecting my signature because of this.

kinda this, but i just scribble the word out through the paper and write it again... it doesnt happen too often though.

I feel a need for everything to be perfect, and what a perfectionist I am. I mess up on one part of a drawing, especially the complicated ones, and I must start all over again.

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
I don't really get what OCD is. I've seen a lot of shows and stuff for it, but I never really got what it is. Anyways, to what it sounds like, I don't have it. At least, I don't think.

Aquanova

Not sure if this counts as OCD when I start something it bothers me when I dont finish it, or when I have a problem I feel the need to fix everything.

BadWolf Churchill

Mr Prime Minister
I've never been tested, but I'm pretty sure I have OCD (I dont think it's a bad thing)
I have to separate out my dinner into sections, like meat, potatoes, peas etc. I have to turn lights off, push chairs in, have things symmetrical etc. I'm also a grammar perfectionist.