1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Oct 13th: XY&Z045 - One Last Battle with Ash! Serena's Choice!!

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KungFuMaster

KungFuMaster KungFu Zen Mode

I don't know what u are talking about 'bad in battling'. I mean it's not even hard, just scream dodge it and use good Pokémon moves oh common it can't be easier. The Anime just looks like it's super hard and moves like Cut are used in competitve. Look at the games: if you were 10, did you already know how to play Pkmn perfectly? It's just choosing an attack and wait xD just like the Anime. But in the Anime they probably show us a Altaria getting one shotted by a Water Shuriken, which is 500% impossible in the games. Anime battling is unrealistic af.

2. Squirtle_007

Squirtle_007 DP Season SUCKS!

It's kinda sad how Serena having the iniciative to organize a Special Pokémon Showcase all by herself to cheer the people of Lumiose City is being overshadowed by two crappy seconds of Ash holding Serena's hand ... but well, that was Serena's "development" for you, her few shining moments being eclipsed for a non-canon fanmade shipping

3. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

Please actually read what you typed again

You literally just dump on Serenacm's development because of what the fans choose to focus on rather then what is actually happening in the show

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  4. Vipsoccermaster

Vipsoccermaster Well-Known Member

Ash grabbing Serena's hand doesn't mean anything. Shippers are just setting themselves for disappointment.

Still, looking forward to this episode. Knew Palermo would appear, but Aria?

5. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

In terms of just any sort of competition or even just standard 'good against evil' face-offs however, Serena has always felt safe guarded, either her opponents were always dumbed down so she could win with a single cheap shot or someone protected her. She never really had to face a real adversity full on, as in a real fight where she was having to learn to resist offence rather than just dish it out (or when she did she was completely useless and needed rescuing). It affects her rootablity to me, I can't cheer on a character that always has it easy, especially when they never really earned it.

She never felt challenged against Team Rocket, she never felt challenged in the showcases, she never felt challenged against Team Flare, she never felt in any situation where her winning was a half way accomplishment because the odds were already totally in her favour (and they even tend to go out of their way to show if they weren't she would have probably failed miserably). I mean, she's likeable, but she's no hard working underdog.

6. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

game battling aint too realistic to be fair :p

7. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

I think that there's more to it than just commanding battle moves that factors in battling since you never know what's going to happen. You're the one person to command said Pokémon what to do while also watching it get hit, burned, poisoned, and so many other things that'll be mentally/physically hard to view (thank goodness for no blood). I would be scared and wouldn't know what to do at first so I feel for Serena when Meowth didn't get hit by Fenniken's attack and she panicked.

That's what some people focus on but it won't be the whole episode. I look forward to seeing Serena and Shauna tag team Perform. :)
    And no, that's not Serena's development. Just a moment of teasing lol.

8. DatsRight

The problem was however, they didn't show her trying to improve from that direction, she was just saved by Aurorus so didn't have to worry about and each every time a real challenge occurred after, the same save would happen (see the Flare arc where again she just panicked when the first attack didn't work, just Stephen saved face for her, or the Showcase battle where Eevee was losing but evolved just in time). She doesn't really feel like she has learned anything or rose from any adversity. She has gained zero sense of strategy or resilience because she's always been protected.

9. KungFuMaster

KungFuMaster KungFu Zen Mode

'Zero sense of strategy', she actually used one of Ash his strategies against PunkPika. It was pretty insane. I would not thought of it. She maybe hasn't learn anything from herself but she learned a lot of Ash. And okay she was safeguarded a lot but I don't really care. She is ever gonna be a battler so why the 'strats'

10. satopi

Maybe TR will save her again during her short lived battle with Ash...

No but I think she's seen enough battling that she'll be able to command her Pokémon more than just one attack. I would've even liked it if her Pokémon battled each other for practice. Or like Pikachu, Zurruggu, and Yanappu did with Kibago and went easy on him. I think Serena will call off the battle midway through once she finds her answer. I just can't see any of her Pokémon evolving going by their battle experience. This might even go the same way as her goal, being good at it from the start, only failing 2 times by tripping, and winning. She could show what she's learned once this episode airs. Nonetheless, I agree with your points.

11. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Well she was pretty competent with Ash's Pikachu, even if she initially panicked/was interrupt mid-battle.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I think she said that she's always been protected by others when she was talking to Palermo after the Master Class conclusion which is why she lost to Aria. I don't like how quickly she understood it - but at least she understood right?

12. STICKTOPIA

STICKTOPIA Well-Known Member

lol luring us to be trolled? That's all it looks like to me lol

13. DatsRight

If I remember correctly Pikachu snapped her out of it, the thing is though, it was still an interrupted battle and using a far more competent trainer's Pokemon.

It was a good lamp shading, but I fail to see what they've done to solve about it since then, aside from adding more TR curb stomp battles which barely require strategy to begin with. As said just a few times against them or TF she was getting a challenged and worked and laboured for it, but not even ONCE. She's remained a complete glass cannon.

The haircut, her dumbed down rivals, her deus ex machina victories, it feels like her entire development has been completely superficial.

14. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

You don't need to convince me, I've not been fond of her development (ever since she took a year to get a goal that was introduced by plot device Shauna watching her Pokevideo/plot device Tierno being told by Shauna and recognizing Serena - and especially when she perfected Eevee's dance moves overnight) :p

As for lampshading, well her arc had finished so her role essentially became a background character again. I don't think she would have battled much to improve her skills because then it detracts from Ash's story winning the gyms/league.

15. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja Prince Of Balbadd

Most probably and sadly a troll. Who can forget 'Kalos League Victory! Ash's Ultimate Match!!' and the hyping of giant orange shuriken through previews?

16. satopi

What about her relationship with her mother? Despite the problem kind of being resolved quickly, she did gain respect for her mother's career of a Pokémon Rider and proved to her that Pokemon Performing was for her (even though she got off way too easy).

I don't think battling is for her. She's better off becoming a Pokémon Stylist or Performer.

17. Ash vs serena battle how its goings to play out 3 vs 3
    Pancham vs hawlucha- draw
    Sylveon vs talonflame - talonflame

Braxien vs pikachu - serena and ash are going to have a sawyer/alain like talk mid battle with a pink or yellow background or flashbacks playing in the background with soft music playing than serena and ash reaffirm their goals/future than they play serena theme song but pikachu comes out the winner

18. satopi

I think Serena is only using Braixen and it'll only be a 1v1. There's no way Pancham nor the invincible Sylveon could take on Hawlucha. Maybe Talonflame...

19. DatsRight

In fairness 'invincible Sylveon' only proved good against James' Inkay (a type advantage) and Miette's Slurpuff (an ineffective rival who never beat her once), and those were both during her 'evolution mandated super boost'. After that, she couldn't even make Flare's Houndoom flinch, despite being Dark types....and I think that's about it for her battling. :p

Pancham had the odd decent fight, though they were ironically mostly when he was working on his own accord rather than Serena commanding him.

20. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. RetiredPokemonMaster

I don't know why everyone's so eager for Serena to complete this battle. Serena's in a no-win situation here. If she wins everyone will dump on her for beating the god of Kalos. If she loses she leaves the anime a even bigger loser then the anime already made her out to be. If she ties or it gets interrupted she'll be criticized for not finishing another battle. This is why non-battling characters in Pokemon don't work and Serena's now being forced into a situation where she can only come out a stinker. The anime never ceases to amaze with how poorly thought out this character was. Realistically this should be a Cynthia level slaughter. Who thought this was a good idea to send her off?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.