• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

October 20th: SM144 - The Greatest Z in Alola! Kapu-Kokeko VS Pikachu!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diakyu

First ever four episode battle. huh

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Torterra only has 3 battles after its evolution (Hippowdon, Electivire, and Drapion). Bertha is an E4 member, Electivire knew the super-effective Fire and Ice Punches, and Drapion had Poison and Bug attacks while also being helped by the Toxic Spikes).

Not to mention the show banned it from using the most useful move for all of those battles (Earthquake)...

dman_dustin

Pokémon fan is out and confirms this episode to be part of the Kukui battle:

Just to be clear, would they have said it was a separate 1 vs 1 battle if that's how it was or would they've lumped in as technically a 7th Pokemon for Kukui while Ash uses Pikachu?

Because I find it hard to believe that the battle is a full 6 vs 6 battle, and yet we don't actually get to see Kukui's 6th Pokemon because Tapu Koko shows up or is the implication that it really truly is his 6th Pokemon.

I only ask, because I don't know why Kukui would have Tapu Koko up his sleeve and would save it until either THIS episode, or maybe the previous one.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I only ask, because I don't know why Kukui would have Tapu Koko up his sleeve and would save it until either THIS episode, or maybe the previous one.

this might sound stupid, but even if Tapu Koko isn't his, if it wants to fight Ash and Pikachu we know the two will jump at the chance to do so, and given how deep Kakui is with Alola's traditions, I doubt he would object to controlling it for the fight.

The only thing i'm going to say though is this, if Kakui does have a sixth pokemon hopefully we'll see it before Ash leaves Alola, but if it turns out Tapu Koko is actually somehow his sixth (I can only imagine how Hala would feel about that) then that is a lazy decision on the writers part.

Then again considering the Guzzlord episode and Poipole returning as Naganadel out of no where... it wouldn't be the first one.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
I may have realized how all this could go down. In the previous episode, the original battle ends, but before everyone can pack it up and call it a league, Tapu Koko shows up, heals Pikachu, and challenges it to a battle, and going under professor Kukui's control so it could use a Z Move. This could ensure that Ash can use the Firium Z Crystal during the original battle, and use the Electrium Z Crystal/Pikashunium Z Crystal in this battle.
I think the only reason Trevenant was an option because it was the only Pokemon closer to Professor Kukui that stands out. He had those other Pokemon in the forest, but Trevenant was the main focus out of all of them. And Trevenant is dead, because unless it can turn into an old more-tree looking version of itself, there's no other explination to why it's like that. And we know Professor Kukui has six Pokemon because of the six Poke Balls on the board, so he either is going to use an unknown sixth Pokemon, or he caught Tapu Koko and I think it's the latter.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I like how they are hyping up Ash's first league victory. Even bringing up his older league results and Pokemon he used. SM is definitely part of the canon
I guess that officially kills that dumb theory that some use since they dislike the series.
The longest battle in the series, being four parts, happening in the Sun and Moon anime of all seasons is so beautifully hilarious.
I'll laugh if it becomes one of the best battles of the anime, seeing how hated the SM series is.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
The longest battle in the series, being four parts, happening in the Sun and Moon anime of all seasons is so beautifully hilarious.
“Sun&Moon isn’t going to have a full battle!”

*makes the very first hype-worthy thematic end-series full battle since Satoshi v. Shinji but a four-parter at that with the closest thing Satoshi has to a father in his first league win ever*

That feeling when you were always an Satoshi and Alola supporter : ‘ )

Epicocity

*makes the very first hype-worthy thematic end-series full battle since Satoshi v. Shinji but a four-parter at that with the closest thing Satoshi has to a father in his first league win ever*

Well, that seems presumptive given how much the series loves crowd shots and stalling in the middle of battles...

Blue Saturday

Well, that seems presumptive given how much the series loves crowd shots and stalling in the middle of battles...
Like how every series devoted five or four minutes to character exposition about type matchups and move boost and explanations. Usually the only thing characters like Takeshi or Citron doing for most episodes? Did you watch the Shouta battle during the Kalos League?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I'll laugh if it becomes one of the best battles of the anime, seeing how hated the SM series is.

one battle does not change the overall opinion of a region.

besides, every fight has flaws, as epic as Ash vs Paul was in the sinnoh league, that fight had flaws too.

not to mention the controversy with Tapu Koko's participation throws some wrenches into this, it's true that we were likely getting a final battle between it and Pikachu before sun and moon was over, but to do it now, not only is it confusing, but it makes Kakui seem like a cheater even if we know Ash and Pikachu don't care.

Granted he could've owned it, but to pull that last minute is just as bad if not worse than Poipole's situation.

Epicocity

Like how every series devoted five or four minutes to character exposition about type matchups and move boost and explanations. Usually the only thing characters like Takeshi or Citron doing for most episodes? Did you watch the Shouta battle during the Kalos League?
Did you? SM has a disproportionate amount of pacing-killing crowd shots. XY tended to overlay exposition over the action a lot more than past shows whereas SM will literally break between single move exchanges to show something else. Heck, the League could have been cut down by about 3-4 episodes for all the random stuff they added. Or are you saying a 3v3 really needed two episodes and that it somehow made it better? More =/= Better

Blue Saturday

Did you? SM has a disproportionate amount of pacing-killing crowd shots. XY tended to overlay exposition over the action a lot more than past shows whereas SM will literally break between single move exchanges to show something else. Heck, the League could have been cut down by about 3-4 episodes for all the random stuff they added. Or are you saying a 3v3 really needed two episodes and that it somehow made it better? More =/= Better
I remember padding pertaining to shots of Hau and Acerola (filler moments/characters) but beyond that battles throughout S&M have given consistent flow and dynamism usually breaking away to allow viewers to soak in the impact of a crazy scene. Like Kaki’s Z-Move which was intense enough to literally shake the entirety of Manalo Stadium and gave us introspective of Hoshi, Lusamine, Kukui and Lillie’s reactions to the affair. Or a worthwhile break like getting an amusing Suiren gag or the two boys giggling. Which I’ll take over a panshot of Citron/Takeshi giving up generic exposition we already know or some overplayed “cool” Satoshi frame with generic dialogue or another “~romantic~” shot of Serena muttering Satoshi’s name and looking worried or saying she’s worried which was heavily prevalent throughout the series. Especially during the gym battles most notably the final gym battle.

Decidueye23

i mean to be fair, even if the episodes are more in number, it is filled with a lot of conversations from cast members etc. Although i do expect the battle to be amazing, atleast for now ash vs paul will remain the best battle of the series atleast for me.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

Are you seriously trying to imply that SM had better battles than XY series, because you would be in minority who thinks that way. SM fights are very slow while some being good and basic matches with moves clashing and too much dependence on z moves whereas XY/DP were tactical matches with various strategies and fast paced action.

Blue Saturday

Are you seriously trying to imply that SM had better battles than XY series, because you would be in minority who thinks that way. SM fights are very slow while some being good and basic matches with moves clashing and too much dependence on z moves whereas XY/DP were tactical matches with various strategies and fast paced action.

I never said S&M battles were better than XY. I was replying to the comment to explain how battle-padding was a prevalent thing and not some new thing happening in the S&M series. It’s kind of amazing how in threads about Sun&Moon we can’t have them remain about Sun&Moon and insecurity regarding XY/XYZ always shows up. Like why does Sun&Moon and Alola live in her your head rent free?

EDIT - Oh yeah I totally am more invested in S&M battles and found them more worthwhile than XY ones.

Cope.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I never said S&M battles were better than XY. I was replying to the comment to explain how battle-padding was a prevalent thing and not some new thing happening in the S&M series. It’s kind of amazing how in threads about Sun&Moon we can’t have them remain about Sun&Moon and insecurity regarding XY/XYZ always shows up. Like why does Sun&Moon and Alola live in her your head rent free?

EDIT - Oh yeah I totally am more invested in S&M battles and found them more worthwhile than XY ones.

Cope.
Well battle padding is a way of writers to share the knowledge about the battle strategies and the reaction of companions.

The thing is SM battles while some were fine are suffering from creativity and out of box thinking.

Nikinini

Well battle padding is a way of writers to share the knowledge about the battle strategies and the reaction of companions.

The thing is SM battles while some were fine are suffering from creativity and out of box thinking.
They aren't though. Battles are rare on SM but when they happen they're just as strategic and tactical as in DP and XY.
We just had Ash ordering Lycanroc to grab a rock piece from Stone Edge to attack Incineroar.
I also don't get why people say SM depends too much on Z Moves. In the entire League only one was actually useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.