• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

October 22nd: PM2019 084 - The Lucarionite! Adventure on Mega Island!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morax

King of heroes
Ash Greninja’s personality was “gotta be the strongest ever” and ironically wet the bed when it mattered most in the finals.
SM Team is meh tbh. Incineroar and Lycanroc carry, the rest suck. DP and AG teams are great.
It’s disappointing how Ash has two Dragon types (arguably most powerful type) on his Kalos team but both jobbed. Then again, we didn’t see the full league.
AG’s personality is pretty much sceptile’s personality and people only seem to complain about the former.

D

Deleted member 384931

Lets go on topic again, shall we?
This feels like a Satoshi only episode without Gou around (but I will probably be wrong)

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Yes, that also includes his Alola and Unova mons. There is no reason narrative reason to ignore them, similar to how there is no narrative reason for Greninja to be released...yet. It can change if we see how it actually helped to Greninja's character.
What do you mean no narrative reason? Greninja and ash's power has always been build up as some saviour like power from the get go. With olympia foretelling that they will play a major role in the upcoming conflict and their power came from love. In the ninja village they were told that the leggendary greninja was a hero who defended the village. They finally mastered their bond not from fighting strong opponents but by wanting to save others, and ash remembers that the reason why he wanted to be a trainer in the first place after what happened in the woods. So it culminates into a decision where the power they raised together is needed for the greater good, and that's what they choose. The narrative was pretty consistent throughout that it wasn't just power for power's sake, but also something to help those around them.

Not only that, from a writing perspective it would be better to actually have a narrative reason why greninja is not with ash given how much their bond was a core part of their story as it would make it easier to do the usual reset for ash. It would be way weirder for ash to just dump and forget about him just like his other mons after their storyline, so having him do something else provides an out to its and lets ash forget the rest of his mons like usual. Because having him rot in the lab for no good reason there would cheapen their whole story.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Last series Ash exclusively had:

A new variation of Lycanroc
A newly discovered Mythical Pokemon
An ultra beast
An exclusive Z-Move

Plus the special attention of an Island deity. When isn't it "fanfiction-y "
Well those were just Alola-generation Pokémon, using a new species as a capture in the generation they debuted in make sense, same with the Z-Move.

I think it feels more so this way because these are all true fan favorites and all the super cool features from each game which isn't an issue in itself, the bigger vice I have is it feels like we're meant to love all of this stuff off brand-recognition without building much substance to it or endearing us to it. On top of it due to this being a series where they wanted to really stick closer to a more game-specific lore on things they go the most straight forward route with a lot Pokémon captures and personalities so things can feel rather predictable and boring at times. Really wish Lucario had its more Riolu-esque persona and didn’t have to be stoic.

I can be more positive because any screentime for the team is better than not tho.

RafaSceptile

What do you mean no narrative reason? Greninja and ash's power has always been build up as some saviour like power from the get go. With olympia foretelling that they will play a major role in the upcoming conflict and their power came from love. In the ninja village they were told that the leggendary greninja was a hero who defended the village. They finally mastered their bond not from fighting strong opponents but by wanting to save others, and ash remembers that the reason why he wanted to be a trainer in the first place after what happened in the woods. So it culminates into a decision where the power they raised together is needed for the greater good, and that's what they choose. The narrative was pretty consistent throughout that it wasn't just power for power's sake, but also something to help those around them.

Not only that, from a writing perspective it would be better to actually have a narrative reason why greninja is not with ash given how much their bond was a core part of their story as it would make it easier to do the usual reset for ash. It would be way weirder for ash to just dump and forget about him just like his other mons after their storyline, so having him do something else provides an out to its and lets ash forget the rest of his mons like usual. Because having him rot in the lab for no good reason there would cheapen their whole story.
You can remove it, and absolute nothing change. This is why it doesn't have a narrative purpose, unlike other departures like Charizard or Gliscor, or even with human characters like May or Dawn.

Jers745

I dont know :p
You can remove it, and absolute nothing change. This is why it doesn't have a narrative purpose, unlike other departures like Charizard or Gliscor, or even with human characters like May or Dawn.
It does have its points even if its not directly addresed it shows that greninja is doing something other than training in the ranch

RafaSceptile

It does have its points even if its not directly addresed it shows that greninja is doing something other than training in the ranch
The problem is that it is not being showed or addressed. I'm not saying that AG being released in that way was bad, but it is not better than being sent to Oak if absolute nothing change in any other episode after XY139. Now if it gets addressed somehow later on Journeys or another serious. things will be different.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Omg, just what we needed, MORE Mega Lucario and Lucario screentime.
Unironically this is true, Lucario does need more screentime and better focus.
>gets sh!t on for more screentime
>gets sh!it on for no screentime
Sounds like you peeps just hate him in general.
Bingo! All the screentime Lucario has receieved thus far was necessary and needed, not any pandering or hogging
I mean in those ppl defense, he went from being in every episode as a riolu to being completely off screen for like 35 episodes. There is a middle ground ppl.. blame journey’s tbh. Kind of hard to show off ash’s and gou’s “team” pokemon when you got filler eps every other ep that just involves grookey and pikachu
Being in every episode as a Riolu was a stretch. It needed that much focus to have a plausible evolution in the absence of a detailed focused arc on it like Farfetchd, and most of the time it did next to nothing
I can see why one would think that the execution was flawed in one aspect in regards to the league loss, but I don't see anything wrong with Ash releasing it. That was an incredibly coherent and well-executed end to his character. I much prefer that to AG being stuck back on the ranch. Now that would just be boring and wouldn't have the kind of depth that Ash leaving AG to be the protector of Kalos with Squishy for a while had.
I agree that releasing Greninja is better then Oaking him. Back then I was even more mad coz for me Oaking was a 'safe' option but looking bad it really doesn't matter, Greninja can return when it needs to.
I also like the concept of it leaving Ash to be the protector of Kalos with Squishy using its power it formed with Ash. It's just that.....the way it was shown with vines subplot was....anti climatic, a bit dumb to me personally and doesn't really properly highlight Ash and Greninja's bond powers perfectly imo. I wanted a better release for it and well knowing how it ended up in the league, it was just salt on the wound at the time. Greninja was cool af, had great battles and was strong, but it never had that narrative crux you know, like Infernape beating Paul or Incineroar beating Kukui had. It really should have gotten that Alain moment
why do people care about 'muh personality' so much? They're weapons, they don't need a sense of humour.
*Facepalm*
AG’s personality is pretty much sceptile’s personality and people only seem to complain about the former.
I mean you are right, treecko and Grovyle had loads of personality, esp it's love arc before it evolved. Froakie had loads of personality as well which translated well into frogadier before disappearing with Greninja. However Greninja was more recent and popular so there you have your answer

You know reading this makes me sad coz it just reminds me of the wasted potential. It had its part to play in the coming conflict and did nothing noteworthy, (no marking chespie with a shuriken isn't doing anything noteworthy), lost its climatic narrative battle and while the concept for its release may be good, that vine stuff is such bs and not at all good payoff for Olympia's prophecy or the ninja village prophecy, let alone the ninja village stuff not even making sense

Morax

King of heroes
Unironically this is true, Lucario does need more screentime and better focus.

Bingo! All the screentime Lucario has receieved thus far was necessary and needed, not any pandering or hogging

Being in every episode as a Riolu was a stretch. It needed that much focus to have a plausible evolution in the absence of a detailed focused arc on it like Farfetchd, and most of the time it did next to nothing

I agree that releasing Greninja is better then Oaking him. Back then I was even more mad coz for me Oaking was a 'safe' option but looking bad it really doesn't matter, Greninja can return when it needs to.
I also like the concept of it leaving Ash to be the protector of Kalos with Squishy using its power it formed with Ash. It's just that.....the way it was shown with vines subplot was....anti climatic, a bit dumb to me personally and doesn't really properly highlight Ash and Greninja's bond powers perfectly imo. I wanted a better release for it and well knowing how it ended up in the league, it was just salt on the wound at the time. Greninja was cool af, had great battles and was strong, but it never had that narrative crux you know, like Infernape beating Paul or Incineroar beating Kukui had. It really should have gotten that Alain moment

*Facepalm*

I mean you are right, treecko and Grovyle had loads of personality, esp it's love arc before it evolved. Froakie had loads of personality as well which translated well into frogadier before disappearing with Greninja. However Greninja was more recent and popular so there you have your answer

You know reading this makes me sad coz it just reminds me of the wasted potential. It had its part to play in the coming conflict and did nothing noteworthy, (no marking chespie with a shuriken isn't doing anything noteworthy), lost its climatic narrative battle and while the concept for its release may be good, that vine stuff is such bs and not at all good payoff for Olympia's prophecy or the ninja village prophecy, let alone the ninja village stuff not even making sense
They could redeem him in journeys, it’s not too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.