• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

October 29th: PM2019 085 - Rival Showdown! Satoshi VS Saito!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, as I've stated before, I think everything to do with Lucario has been a major disappointment and his development has been significantly mishandled. At the onset, Riolu got several episodes of focus and was even showcased to be training onscreen in one of the few examples of such a thing occurring which laid the groundwork for what I thought was easily the Ash mon with most potential.

Unfortunately, what occurred next after Riolu's evolution was a sense of stagnation. No real bonding/development episodes for Lucario as its screen time was significantly reduced and its battle record small, a problem with really most of Ash's Journeys Pokemon. The few times that Lucario has been used its been in filler episodes that haven't really even fleshed out its personality in the same way for example at least Dragonite's personality has been for me and the episodes that Lucario has been used in battles like Ash v Volkner feel off because of this lack of battle and screentime development.

Fortunately, it was clearly telegraphed from the beginning that Ash's Riolu was interested in Mega Evolution through Korrina's Mega Lucario and I was especially interested in that dynamic since I felt that there was ample opportunity for the show to develop Lucario individually and through Ash with Mega Evolution.

Now at this point in time, what exactly are the problems I have with Mega Lucario occurring at this breakneck pace?

There doesn't seem to be any significant development or even any meaningful screen time with Mega Lucario and Ash. It looks like as if as soon as Ash gets ML, the show then precedes to jump straight to the rival match, which is just incomprehensible to me. Now people have pushed back at this before and in this thread as well claiming that there is no need for a retread of the Korrina arc, but this misconstrues what exactly I'm asking for as well as seems to ignore what previous series have done. I don't want a retread of the Korrina arc because Ash's Mega Lucario isn't the same as Korrina's Mega Lucario. They have different personalities and different relationships with their trainers. If I were to write a developmental " arc, " I would maybe incorporate the awe Riolu had for Korrina's Mega Lucario into the storyline. Maybe Lucario is afraid of not being as strong as Korrina's Mega Lucario. Something like that. Take into account Ash's Lucario and structure a Mega Evolution arc around his personality. This isn't some kind of far flung character/Pokemon arc thing that the anime hasn't done before and again, I think the rebuttal that there is no need for something like this doesn't at all make sense. The anime has done this before with some of Ash's best regarded Pokemon time and time again because it's good story writing. They surely should weave Lucario's prior character and plot bits into something coherent. This is Mega Evolution. It should be treated like a big step.

I mentioned this before, but I really get the feeling that people are giving this series a pass for something that it shouldn't be given a pass for because of how badly Journeys has handled Pokemon development/screentime. I definitely don't think people would be as forgiving if something similar happened for Charizard, Infernape, or Ash-Greninja. It's like people have acclimated to the idea that the Pokemon mishandling that Journeys has done is normal with many of the Pokemon that have just started fully evolved or have evolved incredibly quickly. Bringing up things like Nurse Joy and Audino for example that I remember one user here doing is significantly disingenuous as not only was that a COTD, but even still that whole episode if I remember correctly was centered around the development of the two of their bond for ME. Mega Lucario is something that has been foreshadowed early in the series for one of Ash's Pokemon. It's really not analogous and I really think people should take into account how little screentime/development Lucario has had, but even if you think it's okay that something similar doesn't happen, alright, no developmental arc, but I think the even more significant problem is screentime because there doesn't seem to be any training or anything after Ash gets ML. It literally jumps straight into the Bea rival match. A zero experience Mega Lucario already immediately jumping into battle the episode right after it mega evolves? Does this really seem to be believable at all? You don't even need a developmental arc, even just one or two episodes that showcases Ash training with Mega Lucario would go a long way.

In the end, this is my perception of the events that have transpired and the information currently given. It's possible that some of my problems could be rectified in the episode itself, but I honestly sincerely doubt it.

why wait, go ahead and tell us now what the problems are.
I'm not on the forum 24/7 and writing up an essay on a phone is pretty difficult.

Last edited:
It’s all damage control. They’re apologizing for the sh.it they pulled in kalos.
They way they are apologizing is pathetic. Apologize by having Greninja beat Charizard.

D

Deleted member 384931

The nerve to call them rivals.
Like I said before, they wanna wrap this up quickly. But why do the whole Grapploct and Lucario rivalry thing if it goes nowhere?

Last edited by a moderator:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I'm surprised this isn't his fight to go to the next class

almost kind of makes me wonder how close Bea currently is to the master class.

if Machamp was the pokemon Bea used to beat Korrina, then i suppose Lucario going mega and taking it out would be cathartic revenge in a way.

Like I said before, they wanna wrap this up quickly. But why do the whole Grapploct and Lucario rivalry thing if it goes nowhere?

Considering Riolu was able to tie with the thing in their last battle, it wouldn't surprise me if Lucario just straight up ko'es it with how powerful it is now.

D

Deleted member 384931

I'm surprised this isn't his fight to go to the next class

almost kind of makes me wonder how close Bea currently is to the master class.

if Machamp was the pokemon Bea used to beat Korrina, then i suppose Lucario going mega and taking it out would be cathartic revenge in a way.

Considering Riolu was able to tie with the thing in their last battle, it wouldn't surprise me if Lucario just straight up ko'es it with how powerful it is now.
Yeah haha.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Yeah haha.

though i also wouldn't mind Dragonite being in the match and giving Grapploct a hug...see how it likes it.

Going to be spending the month manifesting energy for Sirfetch’d to finally get its win against Bea. Doesn’t even have to be Hawlucha, I’ll take any matchup

they need to give the poor thing a fighting attack move before then, detect doesn't count.

D

Deleted member 384931

though i also wouldn't mind Dragonite being in the match and giving Grapploct a hug...see how it likes it.
They really want to end it soon. I guess he will be in the Master Class soon. Weird that Bea isn't his final opponent before the Master Class

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Well i will say this is probably the most hyped i‘ve been in a while. Unlike with volkner, this doesn‘t get soured with one sided gimmicks. I‘m just afraid my hype would just backfire by bad handling of the fight though.

I do agree that the way ash gets his mega is too fast and sloppily handled tho, mostly because how this series is in general. Ash feels like he barely has bonds with his current pokemons, so putting it that it works with bonds feel pretty tacked on and kinda laughable. Not to mention the build up for it is pretty non existent, with only riolu‘s interest in korinna‘s lucario which happened ages ago. But at this point it‘s just a problem witj journeys that i don‘t think can be helped anymore.

Last edited:

ImBeVillain

No more six members
If Ash will lose or draw with Bea again, I will consider her the Ash's main rival.

I'm sure this battle result will draw.

D

Deleted member 384931

Unfortunately the preview pretty much confirmed that Pikachu will be used even though it would have been nice to see him use Gengar again to get a win, but the wait continues.
It will be Sirfechted. I feel it. Those are the 3 pokemon he used against Bea in the past.
Btw why does JN like to rush stuff, we barley got M Lucario and it already battles Gigantamax Machamp. Shouldnt they like train to master it?

ImBeVillain

No more six members
Nah this will be the last time we see her battle Satoshi. 3 times is the charm in the anime, Gladion, Pauls main battles against Satoshi , Alain, Sawyer....
Ash with Gladion was 4 times battles....
1. Rockruff vs Midnight Lycanroc
2. Dusk Lycanroc vs Silvally
3. Lycanroc's duel at Poni Island
4. Alola Leauge final

As for Alain.. I wouldn't call that charm..
I just think there will be a draw and then in the fourth fight against Bea, Ash will finally win.

Status
Not open for further replies.