• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

October 29th: PM2019 085 - Rival Showdown! Satoshi VS Saito!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinLorie

A rival should be something more than a trainer that you battle multiple times.

Should be someone who you aspire to defeat, your antithesis, the one who have a different "savoir faire". Not only in battles but in all aspects, and specially not someone who you see once in a year

That's why Paul was so good.

Calling Bea a rival because you could not beat here is insulting, but this is Pokémon Journeys...

And let's not talk about megaevolution. What is the reasoning behind that? He just wants to have a Mega Lucario?

"It insists upon itself Lois"
This is easy to respond

Rival definition: "a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity"

Basically many of the trainers Ash battles throughout the series are his rivals. Everyone participating in all leagues, tournaments, competitions, etc...

There can be a difference in rivalries, intensity, superiority.

We could say Ash's rivalry with with Gary, Paul and Alain to be superior to his rivalry with Morrison and Cameron.

But still, they are all rivals. It's the definition that matters.

D

Deleted member 384931

The best part of this scan is the fact that our boy is wearing gloves again after five years.

Bea hasn’t showed in roughly a year at this point so it’ll be interesting to see how they wrap this up if this is their final fight.
Just like Iris: I will rank higher and fight you again

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
This is easy to respond

Rival definition: "a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity"

Basically many of the trainers Ash battles throughout the series are his rivals. Everyone participating in all leagues, tournaments, competitions, etc...

There can be a difference in rivalries, intensity, superiority.

We could say Ash's rivalry with with Gary, Paul and Alain to be superior to his rivalry with Morrison and Cameron.

But still, they are all rivals. It's the definition that matters.

Then it is an awful written rival. Like everything this series tries to acomplish.

I think I will create my own catchphrase

"Pokémon Journeys did it again"

Spyro39

To this day, I still want to laugh at that one user who compared Bea to Paul or Alain, all because Ash has yet to defeat her...

I'm surprised people are having issues with Bea being called a rival but not so much with Prof. Kukui/Masked Royal and Kiawe... Not that I have problems with that (I consider all names mentioned as such)...
Really? I did consider Kiawe as a "friendly" rival to Ash. But did people really see Prof. Kukui/Masked Royal as one of Ash's rival? I thought he was more of Ash's "endgame" in Alola, similarly to what Leon is now to him in Journeys.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You didn't see Riolu looking up at Korrina's Mega Lucario as clear foreshadowing?
Oh, sure, because it's been working so hard to become a Mega without mentioning it even once, right.
When Ash battled Wulfric, Abomasnow was defeated quickly and Avalugg was the tough one, but in the rematch it was Abomasnow that became the tough opponent and it Mega evovled as well.
Talk about throwing a literal table under another table!

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Hopefully that means Ash wins here and this rivalry can finally be done and over with.

Makes me think who Ash is going to face for the spot in the Masters 8. Maybe Hop? Or Marnie?
Even then Anime knows Megas > Gmax how wonderful

You didn't see Riolu looking up at Korrina's Mega Lucario as clear foreshadowing?

Look, they could've stalled the Bea match for as long as they wanted to, but we (and Ash) have already seen what a Mega Evolution-arc with a Lucario looks like. We've also seen Ash intensely bonding with a Pokémon to perfect a form change (Ash-Greninja). I honestly see no problem with Ash getting to use a Mega Evolution after one episode of getting used to it when you factor in those elements in his backstory.

In contrast - if Goh somehow does the same, that would be different since he hasn't seen Korrina go through it before and hasn't done anything similar to bonding like Ash did with Greninja. With Ash this is fine. This isn't hating on Goh, but just showing why this isn't a problem with Ash at his point in his journey.
It's not " stalling, " really. It's developing Mega Lucario or even just giving it some screentime before a rival match. Again, I think people are using real weird justifications and are retroactively ignoring what happened in previous series. Ash had a bonding/developmental arc with Charizard in OS. Does this now mean the following seasons Ash doesn't need to have that sort of thing with his other new Pokemon who have their entirely new personalities and entirely new set of plot points and areas of character development than other prior Ash mons?

How does Ash just seeing a Mega Evolution arc with a Lucario that isn't his Lucario with a gimmick that he didn't use equivalent to this situation? How does Ash intensely bonding with Ash-Greninja somehow give Journeys room to just not develop Lucario and showcase their own bond? Again, Ash intensely bonded with Charizard. Does this mean that Diamond and Pearl now had free rein to not develop Ash and Infernape's bond?

Last edited:

Mike999246

I'm a lil saddened Ash isnt wearing his Z Power Ring and Dynamax Band alongside the mega glove, it's like the idiot is trying to make things challenging for himself on purpose

Calling it now he'll lose, and then finally win when he's in, or to rank up to the Master's 8

Status
Not open for further replies.