1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

October 6th: SM142 - Burn with Passion! Get Filled with Intensity! A Full Battle!!!

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C00kie_173

C00kie_173 Member

Where did I say that ? Lol .

2. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand this logic since regardless of Pikachu's flaws, Satoshi always has other Pokemon that can pick up the slack, and the writers could've easily made him win a previous major League based on the merits of his other Pokemon if they had really cared about him winning.

But at least the suspense of whether or not he'd win the Alola League is over. Now all that's left is this match, and to me it doesn't matter if Satoshi wins or loses against Kukui-hakase.

3. C00kie_173

C00kie_173 Member

Its okay. It is just my personal view.
    It is true that Ash has other Strong pokemon that can help him in his league battles but they are not his main partner. Just like Red main partner was charizard and he had already completed his quest.
    Ash has been giving too much attention to pikachu. Pikachu has been growing Stronger all these years through many gym battles and league battles. But what about the rest of his strong pokemon? They are left at Oak's lab and not being called back to gain more battle experiences and make to be stronger; learning new moves. It is hard for ash to win a major league battle when his main partner is a pikachu. Just like how Flint's infernape was his main partner and everyone goes saying that he is Strong to be defeat easily. Same applies to Cynthia's Garchomp, Alain's Charizard and Kukui Incineroar. All of their main pokemon are in their Final Evolved form. If Ash's pikachu was to battle them on a 1 vs 1 match, ash's pikachu will be defeated first.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  4. Fairplay

Fairplay Well-Known Member

Normally I would agree with you. But I'm not sure if I am as indifferent when it comes to Ash winning or loosing in this upcoming match. I mean, wouldn't it undermine Satoshi's win as the Alolan Champion? He obviously had a winning streak in the league and maybe the fight will show Satoshi that he still has to learn when it comes to battling. But I'm not sure if that outcome will satisfy me. If they are going for another route with the new season, why not let Satoshi have his moment and end it with a bang.
    Although the league win itself is something that never happened before. Maybe I should be happy with that and just enjoy the match.
    Considering Tomioka is the writer of the episode, it can only be a good fight.

5. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

I really don't see why they had to change the exhibition match into a Full Battle

The only battle that has any emotional weight to it is Incineroar vs Torracat

Everything else is just pointless padding

6. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

Spectacle I guess

Kawaii Emolga likes this.
  7. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

Spectacle isn't watching pointless fights, and after a league that's 80% pointless fights, do we really need more of the same to close it?

They're already shoehorning empty Ultra Beast Filler into the league as it is

Redstar45 likes this.
  8. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

Alolans pretty much think of Masked Royal as their own Champion, really. And since Ash lives with him (which no one knows except Faba, apparently), that's hard to ignore.

9. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper of the Gates Ambitious

What makes you think the exhibition match wasn't a full battle from the start? Like, no one even knew how many Pokemon were going to be used in the match in the first place.

10. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

Hence why it would make sense to see reserves in this fight. Ash gets to show off a Champion-calibre team and his older Pokemon who only know defeat will get their opportunity in the spotlight.

Kawaii Emolga likes this.
  11. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

Whoa there. Making that much sense is high luxury this anime can't afford.

Bortgreen, Twilight-Kun and mehmeh1 like this.
  12. SceptileTheBanana

SceptileTheBanana DRAGON TAIL!

Honestly at this point I'm just hoping this battle goes into ep 143 AT LEAST. S&M has been awful at pacing battles, and I hope that this battle is drawn out at least a tiny bit since they've drawn at least three 1 on 1 battles through 2 episodes so far. I mean, Ash is obviously going to lose- the vast majority of us are completely aware of that at this point, but I just hope they do this in a way that is at least somewhat decent. Obviously that's well out of the range that S&M is capable of, but the bar is so low at this point that anything above a curbstomp would be amazing.

mehmeh1 likes this.
  13. Xenon Blue

Xenon Blue No Hard Feelings

Given the time we have until the next Gen, think the best we can do for this battle is a 2-parter. No doubts some part (or all) of it will be rushed, so bringing back reserves is a bad idea. Nobody wants to see Infernape or Sceptile make it's glorious return only to get 2-shotted by something Kukui just revealed

14. SceptileTheBanana

SceptileTheBanana DRAGON TAIL!

Exactly. I get that people want to see their favorites- I want to see Sceptile and Greninja again more than anything. But Alola is not the place to do it. They are dedicated to comic relief for some reason, and it will absolutely ruin their characters. Not to mention that the god-awful art style of S&M will completely tarnish any image of them if they have the misfortune to appear in this series. Poipole is more than enough to complete the team of 6

15. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

Infernape and Sceptile deserve to return in a series that treats its battles with more respect and validity than SM; as much as I want to see them both battle again, I doubt them losing against Kukui is something most fans would like in any capacity (especially when they’ve proven themselves to be ridiculously powerful, so that’d raise the question on why Kukui himself isn’t in some bigger trainer position than MR if he’s so strong). It’d create a “hype” battle, but ultimately I doubt it’d be satisfying. His lesser-accomplished reserves should be used here, if they’re going to be used at all.

Twilight-Kun likes this.
  16. Dragalge

Dragalge <- Zoruagible’s favorite

About all the Pokemon have looked just fine in SM. I don’t think Pokemon like Infernape would suffer in this art style lol. Hell, we have a Charizard in the main cast and he looks fine alongside a Krookodile from Nanu. Don’t be silly, Sceptile that’s somehow a banana!

17. Doppelgänger

The issue with reserving them for epic-tier opponents is they never appear anymore, so with Ash's All-Star team growing each season, individual Pokemon will be competing for space. And, if Ash DOES use his six strongest Pokemon...five of them, at least, are going to get KO'd, some in ways that fans won't like. Leaving fans to lionize the aces left out of the team, like those thinking Infernape should have been used over Heracross against Tobias.

It's ironic; although Ash has been the poster child for "it's OK to lose", fans won't tolerate an ace Pokemon losing to an opponent they think is beneath it. The beauty of Pokemon is that because of type matchups, Infernape COULD lose to Cameron's Sawanna. But the perception of an ace overcoming all hardship creatively limits what the writers could do.

For me, Infernape v. Mega Lucario is a fair match. Infernape has the type advantage, while Lucario has the edge in power and speed. Much like Turtonator v. Mega Steelix, an equal matchup is tense because the battle doesn't lean too heavily in one direction to spoil the outcome. So I'd be fine if Infernape were used but lost in that scenario.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Lord Godwin likes this.
  18. Lord Godwin

Lord Godwin The Lord of Darkness

I believe people are ok with those Ash's stars loosing as long as they do something epic. Look at Sceptile. It lost against Tobias but took down an undefeated Darkrai before.

Did the fact that Gladion's Lycanroc lost against Turtanator made it any less of a thread in the finals?

I do think fans of previous seasons would like to see the stars of those seasons Fighting together on a level the anime did not show before (or hardly even shown).

19. Doppelgänger

But in a team of 6 aces, someone has to job to show the strength of the opponent. Consider Infinity War: Thanos destroys Hulk in the opening of the movie. Hulk, who was built up in the franchise to be unstoppable, is easily defeated by an opponent with as much power, but more discipline and more intelligence. The Avengers really have no plan to win, and that's what made Thanos scary.

Swellow losing to Latios showed just how much power and speed Latios was packing despite being a special tank, while Heracross losing showed that Tobias was not a chump with legends, but a shrewd battler who didn't overestimate opponents despite his obvious advantages.

I personally think Darkrai OHKO'ing Snorlax would have meant more that doing it to Torkoal. Dark Pulse sending that big body flying is a chilling demonstration of Darkrai's offense. Torkoal had a bad reputation for losing and no notable defensive feats. The only merit in using him was showing Ash still valued him.

Kawaii Emolga and Lord Godwin like this.
  20. Lord Godwin

Lord Godwin The Lord of Darkness

The vs Tobias team was really unbalanced. On one hand you have Sceptile, Swellow and Heracross while on the other Gible and Torkoal.
    I guess they didn't want any of the vs Paul victors (besides Pikachu) to loose in their final fight, Infernape being the best example (even though it mught've done well against Darkrai). Actually IT would've been epoce for Infernape to give all it Has, fainting and passing the batton to his big bro (prior Ace) Sceptile to deal the final blow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.