• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

October 8th: PM2019 083 - The Py That Became A Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Beast Lover

I think that the conferences winners face the elite 4 first and then battles the champion, although they have to confirm this.

I never like the change they did in SwSh that they removed victory road and the elite 4, besides i think that the only reason they did that because they knew that before they finished the games that Ash will be champion and he wasn't going to do gyms anymore, so they decided to make a tournament so in the anime we have the PWC.
It's the anime that follows the games, not the other way around. It's more likely that the people who were working on the games came in and were like, "Here's what we're doing." So the anime created the PWC.

AJ97

If that was confirmed during Sinnoh, it's pretty much become lost and overwritten by the sudden developments without much explanation in the following sagas. I'm pretty sure the writers don't expect people to think that far back without bringing it up when it should (hence why Ash may re-scan Pokemon he had already seen before).
Not really. It was also referenced indirectly in Kalos. We see Siebold and Malva both referred to as Elite four Members and Diantha as the Kalos Champion. Claiming Kalos Champion is < Elite four just doesn't make sense considering the fact that this simple concept has been reinforced every single series of the anime beforehand, including the games. It's not as complex of a detail or concept.

This is one of those things that the show does to help introduce (or remind the audience about) a Pokemon and sell merch. It‘s solely for the benefit of the audience, especially the target age brackets that are new to Pokemon and may not have played the games or watched previous series or may not have even been conceived when the Pokemon first showed up onscreen.

There are a lot of things that the games and the anime have yet to confirm. What is the regional Champions League and how does it work? Who is in it? How does someone become a member of the Elite 4? Are the Elite 4 members just those that reach the Semi-Finals? Does it work like the tournament in Sw/Sh?

I always wondered why we ended up with Victory Road and the Elite 4 in the games (prior to Sw/Sh) instead of a proper tournament.
Yes I definitely agree but the concept of "Elite Four" & "Regional Champion" has always been the same for every series and characters have been referred to accordingly.
In Kanto Bruno is referred to as an Elite four Member, in Hoenn we have Drake (Who is referred to as an Elite four member), In Sinnoh we see all the Elite four members and Cynthia (Referred to as The Sinnoh Champion), In Unova we see Caitlin referred to as an Elite four Member and Cynthia/Alder referred to as the Sinnoh/Unova Champion, in Kalos we see Siebold and Malva referred to as Elite four members and Diantha referred to as the Regional Champion. Even Steven is referred to as the regional champion of Hoenn here.

And Finally in Journeys, we see Wikstrom referred to as an Elite four member and Iris referred to as the Unova Champion.

So considering the consistency so far across the series, claiming Iris is not Regional Champion tier just because she logically shouldn't be based on her performance against Ash and how she stacked up to Ash before in Unova.

The only point it reinforces is something that has already been reinforced multiple times across the show, i.e Pokemon battles are 100% driven by plot and rarely have any logic/ consistencies in strength.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Yes I definitely agree but the concept of "Elite Four" & "Regional Champion" has always been the same for every series and characters have been referred to accordingly.
In Kanto Bruno is referred to as an Elite four Member, in Hoenn we have Drake (Who is referred to as an Elite four member), In Sinnoh we see all the Elite four members and Cynthia (Referred to as The Sinnoh Champion), In Unova we see Caitlin referred to as an Elite four Member and Cynthia/Alder referred to as the Sinnoh/Unova Champion, in Kalos we see Siebold and Malva referred to as Elite four members and Diantha referred to as the Regional Champion. Even Steven is referred to as the regional champion of Hoenn here.

And Finally in Journeys, we see Wikstrom referred to as an Elite four member and Iris referred to as the Unova Champion.

So considering the consistency so far across the series, claiming Iris is not Regional Champion tier just because she logically shouldn't be based on her performance against Ash and how she stacked up to Ash before in Unova.

The only point it reinforces is something that has already been reinforced multiple times across the show, i.e Pokemon battles are 100% driven by plot and rarely have any logic/ consistencies in strength.
I’m not sure what you’re replying to here. I never said that Iris shouldn’t be considered a Champion or that she didn’t earn/deserve the title.

I was just pointing out that there are a lot of things around the E4 and “Champion” title that have never been developed and how they functionally work. It’s always been glossed over.

MartínK

Searching online it said that the conference winners must defeat the elite 4 to face the champion and the elite 4 members can face the champions when they want, apparently this is explained when Ash, Dawn and Brock met Lucien.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Searching online it said that the conference winners must defeat the elite 4 to face the champion and the elite 4 members can face the champions when they want, apparently this is explained when Ash, Dawn and Brock met Lucien.
Though that could still just be how Sinnoh does it, because every other region remains vague about it.

ImBeVillain

No more six members
So what I'm getting from this is that Leon is bad because the SWSH NPCs treat him the same way people in real life slobber over Cynthia.
Most of them are probably Diamond / Pearl or Platinum players and they still lost to Cynthia and immediately and suddenly they find she is very strong because she is almost impossible to beat. Cynthia may be strong, but I'd like to remind those drooling Cynthia above that this great Master of the Sinnoh region has virtually no experience with dynamaxing. Remember that Leon's Charizard has practically unstoppable movement - when it turns into a gigantamax version.

I think I will write unnecessarily, but today when I played Platinum, I entered the Pokemon League for the second time and defeated Cynthia. There was no problem, i lost only to Bertha when i finally get league for first time.

Okay, then let's look at the first Kalos Gym battle against Viola. Ash's Pikachu lost that battle after all the experience it accumulated. Same goes for Ash's fight against Roark.
I don't think that's a very strong argument. Pikachu from previous seasons has never really scaled into the next series.

Last edited:

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
So what I'm getting from this is that Leon is bad because the SWSH NPCs treat him the same way people in real life slobber over Cynthia.
The only thing about Leon that gets obnoxious is the game reminding you of his status over and over and over and over while he pushes you to the sidelines.

It makes sense but some people prefer if things aren't told outright and at every 2 seconds

Megapixel

The only thing about Leon that gets obnoxious is the game reminding you of his status over and over and over and over while he pushes you to the sidelines.

It makes sense but some people prefer if things aren't told outright and at every 2 seconds
Leon can probably be beaten relatively easily in games, but at least in anime he has shown what they tell us

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Leon can probably be beaten relatively easily in games, but at least in anime he has shown what they tell us
It also helps the anime isn't parroting it 24/7. Leon is pretty cool by himself and his theme rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.