• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

October Plot Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
'ello, 'ello! It's time for Pokespe SWSH for August!

E9H48vkUUAIE-SN.jpg

E9H5ABRUYAY2HeM.jpg

E9H5CSWVcAU1_Qw.jpg

E9H5FRgUUAYUnXq.jpg

Bede faces his worst enemy: old ladies.

Mr. Rime is now nicknamed. It's Sutekkin.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Damn the manga really is going at a slow pace. After the mess SM manga was I don't mind a slower pace but I guess it stands to reason that it will have to quicken up soon unless Kusaka gets behind game schedule again considering we will probably get a LA arc at the very least. I'd rather the mundane things get closed off quick then the last arc be rushed to oblivion like with XY

lolipiece

Staff member
Sword and Shield has considerably less story and characters than Sun and Moon, so it can afford to.

e9310103838

Shi-chan seems to remember what happened when she passed out. Two celebrities took the Rusted Sword and Shield at that time.

And I really think USUM needs to be separated into a chapter. Otherwise they can't explain the plot that Gladion entered the Ultra Wormhole. Sword and Shield hasn’t mentioned the DLC so far, maybe it’s because of such plan.

Although considering that BDSP/LA is imminent (According to the past, it starts serializing synchronously the fastest and the slowest start serialization after half a year), I’m not sure what they will do with the entire seventh gen. :confused:

Last edited:

G-SANtos

Just a quick post, as I don't have much time now.
-Hop refused his brother's endorsement and doesn't want them being related to be public knowledge. He doesn't want to be a burden to Dande.
-Mary wants to go to Spikemuth with Hop and Soudo because they won't be able to get near the town if they go alone.
-Shieldmilia is starting to remember what to remember what happened in the Slumbering Weald. She saw two sillhouettes and remembers the word "celebrity".

Also, according to 5ch, Soudo, Mary, and Hop already defeated Melon before the chapter. This means G-Max Lapras has to be showcased later, which means we'll definitely get to see the League Tournament.
I'm telling you guys, there's no way this arc ends in 2022, which also means Kusaka probably knows Gen 9 is not coming in 2022. Late 2022 is either nothing or Legends Arceus DLC.

And since we won't see the Circhester Gym Battle, we actually have enough room for the entire Spikemuth plot in volume 4. So, the next 3 or 4 chapters is everything from the Team Yell barricade to the Spikemuth Gym Battle, and after that there's news of Dynamax Pokémon rampaging around Galar, kickstarting the postgame storyline and bringing the "Darkest Day" that the preview on volume 4 promised. Maybe Mega also reappears along the way, but given how reuniting with her Pokémon causes Shieldmilia to start remembering things, I think Kusaka will wait a bit more for those last two.

All this focus around the Rivals really makes me think Kusaka will make them Pokédex Holders this time.
And by the way, The Violent Tomboy's theory about Poplar (Opal) endorsing Beet is debunked, since she explicitly says this is training to become a Gym Leader.

But three months ago, when Shieldmilia fought Makuwa (Gordie) someone, I can't remember who, theorized she would get to fight and defeat the remaining Gym Leaders in unofficial matches and this would somehow lead to her being qualified for the League at the last minute. If that is correct, I wonder if Poplar passing the torch to Beet will play a role somehow. Maybe he'll endorse her just to try to prove he can defeat someone endorsed by the Champion or just to make headlines.
Which reminds me, in the postgame story, you don't fight a Dynamax Pokémon in Ballonlea, because Beet has already defeated all of them, and instead you fight him.

By the way, one thing I noticed but didn't mention before. With volume 60 being delayed, volume 62 will be released in March, the same month as PokéSpe's 25th anniversary. Do you think we'll get anything SPECIAL to celebrate?

Mr. Rime is now nicknamed. It's Sutekkin.
So I was right about them "sutekki" instead of "tsue". But it getting a nickname makes me wonder if it'll end up becoming a permanent member of Soudo's team. Rest of SwSh arc? Sure. But what about future arcs where Soudo appears?

There is the DLC as well
Honestly, I actually expect the DLC to be their own arcs. Their stories really don't fit with the current plot, which is about the Gym Challenge. Someone on Tumblr suggested Mustard might be the one who endorsed Hop because he doesn't have a Gym logo on his uniform, and this would be a way to fit DLC content in the arc. I'm not sure if a former Champion would be able to endorse a Challenger, but it's strange that they're offering no clue on who endorsed Hop other than the volumes listing him as a regular Challenger.

If the Mustard theory is correct, I expect the reveal to be in arc's final scene as a transition to the Isle of Armor arc.

And I really think USUM needs to be separated into a chapter. Otherwise they can't explain the plot that Gladion entered the Ultra Wormhole. Sword and Shield hasn’t mentioned the DLC so far, maybe it’s because of such plan.
Yeah, that scene was definitely a USUM arc tease. I'm sure the idea was always to finish with Gladio arriving at Ultra Ruin and recognize it as Hau'oli, setting up parallel worlds. Ultra Ruin is, after all, the only Ultra Beast homeworld that was not mentioned.

Although considering that BDSP/LA is imminent (According to the past, it starts serializing synchronously the fastest and the slowest start serialization after half a year), I’m not sure what they will do with the entire seventh gen. :confused:
To be honest, my main worry is how Yamamoto will be able to work on two or three arcs at once on top of the volumes coming out every three months. He already had to split B2W2's chapters into two halves. It doesn't sound like he can draw as fast as he could before. What if that is why Kusaka hasn't been able to get another magazine for PokéSpe?
At this point, I really feel like Kusaka should take a page from the Game Freak-ILCA book and get another artist for at least one of these new arcs.

I'm also worried about timeline convolution with all the chronological zigzag they've being doing since HGSS, but I'll make a proper post on what I think about the next arcs in the future arcs thread when I have time.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Very sure the arc taking its sweet time to unfold doesn't mean no new games besides LA next year.

Look how long it took for BW2 to end and how we might be getting new XY-related content in the collected volumes.

lolipiece

Staff member
I saw complaints about Leon not giving Hop an endorsement before, so it's nice to see them explaining it. Makes sense too given Hop's insecurities in the games.

Marnie and Hop bonding over their brother problems is nice. They don't really interact much in the games until the finals, and even then it's mostly talking to the player.

Last edited:

Moni_22

This chapter was pretty good, one of the best that we've had for a while in my opinion. We got to see development for the rivals, interactions with different characters and also more about what happened when Shield lost her Pokémon.

Also, that friend of Leon's who dropped from the challenge, could that be Sonia? I think in the game they never specify what happened in the past between them but this explanation seems to fit her.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm still bitter that Schilly got snuffed out of the gym challenge, but I'm glad that the SWSH manga's finally starting to pick up again.

The last few chapters have had great development for all of the main trainers (even Sou, who I personally didn't like), while moments like Melony explaining how she caught Mr. Rime & Bede's training with Opal have good lore/world building that expanded on the story of the games.

Plus, the moments we DID get with Schilly were hilarious and helped make her more of an interesting character. I also get the feeling that she lost the gym challenge so that she & Sou could end up being parallels to Leon & Sonia. Not only does she seem more interested in researching pokemon, but she also studied under Prof. Magnolia and (like Sonia) was kicked out of the gym challenge after losing to Opal.

G-SANtos

Hahaha! I have been saying for the last few months they might end up choosing the nickname Tsuen because Steckin could be too similar to Stickun. Turns out they actually mentioned that in the chapter! But went with Steckin anyway.

But, surprisingly, the alternative proposed by Shieldmilia was not Tsuen (ツエン), but Tsen (ツェン). I decided to look up to see if there's some special meaning behind this. These are Jisho's results. The first one says TSENG is a computing term. I couldn't find what this stands for because no matter what I put on Google I only get results about people named Tseng.
And this made me notice something, all of Shieldmilia's Pokémon's names, they aren't just SI prefixes, they are computer terms. See how there's no Deca or Hecto: It's because those prefixes are not used in computing.

This makes me wonder, Raboot still has no nickname. We're all expecting it to be named Exa later on, but seeing how this arc is apparently playing on fan expectations, with the first chapter revealing Soudo and Shieldmilia's names at the last page when everyone expected Sword and Shield, and then revealing Soudo has a Grookey on the second chapter when everyone was expecting Sobble, to then giving Sobble to a Route 3 NPC when everyone else would expect Hop, what if Raboot's nickname ends up being, not Exa, but some other computer term?

Also, it's a bit weird that they just teased a nickname that fits both naming conventions. What if, later, Mr. Rime actually becomes Shieldmilia's Pokémon?

By the way, here is Yamamoto's preview for the next chapter.

Nezu (Piers) appears. Also, this looks super ominous and is centered on Soudo's face.

Very sure the arc taking its sweet time to unfold doesn't mean no new games besides LA next year.
The thing is, there's no way Game Freak can work on a game of Legends: Arceus's scale and be making another game to be released next year. 2022 is definitely going to be only PLA and possibly DLC.
And Kusaka definitely knows when a new Gen is coming. The chapter where the third Kalos Pokédex was destroyed was published in November 2014, the same month ORAS came out. This very strongly implies he knew about there being no Z back then. Notice that after that chapter, the arc quickly went to the battle at Flare's HQ rather than having the kids traveling to each city in the game's order. The pacing notably changed during 2015.

And I just want to point out, the RGB arc was foreshadowing Red as a Gym Leader, which we know from the beta leaks he was supposed to be one in GS. Kusaka undeniably knows some stuff in advance. We just don't know how much.

Look how long it took for BW2 to end and how we might be getting new XY-related content in the collected volumes.
B2W2 was a follow up, not a first Gen release, and its nature as a sequel meant it needed BW to finish before starting. Emerald literally kept serialization even after DP's release and only finished after Pokémon Platinum's release.
This has literally never happened with a Gen debut arc. They always publish some kind of ending, even if volumes later amend it, before the new Gen starts. The Emerald/B2W2 situation never happened with Generation debuts.

We really have gotten next to nothing so far though and ORAS is about to start in the volumes
But they always add something in the end. This much is guaranteed because no arc since FRLG has NOT had volume-only in the finale.
-We need to learn who keeps Delphox at the end.
-The Battle Chatelaines are probably going to appear because Kiloude is southwest of the Pokémon Village.
-And who knows, maybe Mewtwo reveals something about Saque (Sird) and the timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.