• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

O'er the Rampardos We Watched! (486)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
O'er the Rampardos We Watched!

It's time for Ash's re-match against the Rock Type Gym Leader, Roark. However, with the recent evolution of Roark's Cranidos, Ash faces a much tougher challenge that his previous battle. In the 3 on 3 Battle, Will Ash be able to defeat Roark or will he lose and have to try again?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:

PANCAKE

I can't smile :|
Can't wait to see this freakin' slug fest against Aipom and Geodude. Seen the pics, but I hope they are not doing the fight justice. From the looks of it, Aipom also went out pretty quick against Rampard. I'm just glad the beastly little monkey is finally holding it's own.

Oh and Gregguru copping a feel under Jessie's top: PRICELESS!

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Notes from the episode picks:

I don't see why anyone could dislike the Pikachu versus Onix rematch. It looked well done to me so long as you're not bothered by Pikachu being a powerhouse. Onix pulled off some impressive moves (though I wonder what the point was in using Stealth Roch while Pikachu was buried, to set up for later?), and Pikachu's win was pretty believable, a Iron Tail followed by one of its patented "Electric attacks so mighty they can even damage Ground types" and then a final Iron Tail to Onix's throat.

Not to mention the end of the win was one of Pikachu's most HARDCORE.:cool: :p With it standing completely still as Onix crashes to the ground directly behind it like the Men in Black facing a falling spaceship. Mimirol had a right to blush in sheer fangirl joy. :D

And might I mention Onix looked really cool in a number of scenes, but then I'm a big fan of the rock wyrm. I like it that Hyouta's does Onix the justice Brock's rarely did.

I only just now realized that Greggle's strange ability to detect Brock's flirtations, TR scheming etc. must be an extension of its species' Danger Sense (whatever its called) ability.

Hmm... so I guess its true they've removed Geodude's ability to levitate in the anime... not that it matters. This was probably the best fight to ever involve Geodude in the anime.

Love Pikachu and Aipom's smirks of trumpth, likely related to knowing that though they are beat up, Ash still has three pokemon versus Hyouta's one remaining. People wanted Ash to use three pokemon against Rampard, and it looks like he does, even if Aipom does maybe two HP of damage (game speaking).

Greggle is creepy cool! Does scary music play as it threatens TR?

Seeing that in the anime Rampard can at times have arms that appear twice as long as normal, it makes more sense that it can learn the move Arm Hammer.

Is that move with the shiny blue aura around its body that Rampard uses Focus Energy? If so it seems it now has offensive uses in anime battles, blocking Razor Leaf and all.

It seems to me Naetle didn't just throw Rampard. Rather it used Rampard's own weight and momentum to make it go off course and crash. Fairly realistic, to use an opponents power against it when its stronger than you are.

The screenshots make it unclear just how Naetle did it (something to do with using the charred leaves) but it clearly gets under Rampard and lets loose with a Razor Leaf to its stomach so hard it is lifted off the ground and into the air then crashes in defeat.

So all in all looks to be a fairly decent gym battle. If all the gym battles are as good or better than this one then Shinno will be a real winner in this department.

Celebitwo

Celebi Clone
Finally, he beats Hyota. Is there any chance of the badge being put in his bio?

sCiZoR_2006

Cascade Trainer
Notes from the episode picks:

I don't see why anyone could dislike the Pikachu versus Onix rematch. It looked well done to me so long as you're not bothered by Pikachu being a powerhouse. Onix pulled off some impressive moves (though I wonder what the point was in using Stealth Roch while Pikachu was buried, to set up for later?), and Pikachu's win was pretty believable, a Iron Tail followed by one of its patented "Electric attacks so mighty they can even damage Ground types" and then a final Iron Tail to Onix's throat.

I wished Pikachu just used the Thunderbolt to break free of the rocks it was buried in/negate Onix's attack. Didn't really like the fact that the electric move hit the rock/ground-type, but this is the anime, so..

Mimirol had a right to blush in sheer fangirl joy. :D

I agree...that was a pretty nice touch lol

I only just now realized that Greggle's strange ability to detect Brock's flirtations, TR scheming etc. must be an extension of its species' Danger Sense (whatever its called) ability.

...Greggle is creepy cool! Does scary music play as it threatens TR?

We really can say that the writers put in Danger Anticipate ability into Gregguru's personality.

When it was intimidating/pushing back TR, there was actually NO music playing at all lol. TR just nervously tried to justify to Gregguru of what they were doing in the back corridors of the Gym...when it strarted taking steps forward, they nervously took steps back.

The final Poison Stab to Musashi's stomach was priceless. Gregguru's the isht.

Is that move with the shiny blue aura around its body that Rampard uses Focus Energy? If so it seems it now has offensive uses in anime battles, blocking Razor Leaf and all.

Reminisint Headbutt is the blue, shinning attack...and is actually a psychic-type move surprisngly. Rampardo uses it to block/negate attacks as well.

The screenshots make it unclear just how Naetle did it (something to do with using the charred leaves) but it clearly gets under Rampard and lets loose with a Razor Leaf to its stomach so hard it is lifted off the ground and into the air then crashes in defeat.

Using the charred leaves, Ash disguised Naetoru's moves to make Hyouta THINK that his grass-type was going to jump so Rampardo would have the advantage and jump too. But instead, Naetoru did a spinning-slide along the ground UNDER the rock-type. Rampardo's Reminisint Headbutt (this time around) was fashioned to work if attacks were thrown at it from above it...not below...so the position Naetoru was in gave it a huge opening for Razor Leaf to connect in a fierce way.

I really enjoyed this battle though. The final winning strategy for Satoshi seemed more believable then some of the other wins he out-of-nowhere thinks of. Can't wait to see what he does for the 2nd Shinou Gym.

Last edited:

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Greggle, I friggin' love you! And finally some more fangilriness for Mimiroru. The pokemon personalities were on top form in this episode, and it's cool to see both Brock and Hikari's pokemon joining in the cheerleading. This is a truly fantastic looking gym episode, and the end of one of the more successful leader mini-sagas.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next gym, and all I can see is COME ON MUKKUBIRD!!!

Last edited:

Flamez

Elite 4 Champion
Can't wait to see what he does for the 2nd Shinou Gym.
Yeah me too. I'm almost sure that Mukubird will have the spotlight in that gym which IMO will be something everyone should look forward too. Mukubird=God

I've only seen the pics yet, I'll be watching the episode in an hour or so. The battle seemed like it was really good. I know there were quite a few peope who were talking about the size difference between Naetoru and Rampurado and how Ash should use that to an advantage. I believe he did just that by having Naetoru get under Rampurado and launching a close range razorleaf.

As far as Pikachu using thunderbolt to break away from the rocks and zapping Onix, its not really a big thing. Pikachu has done that plenty of times the last time it broke away from the Ice pillar from Regice's attack and zapped it aswell. Pikachu is definitely strong enough to pull that off. No complaints from my side.lol

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I'll say it now, Pikachu vs Onix was the cheapest of the three fights, not just because Pikachu won way too easily, but also because Onix tired to use screech again and the the next scene it gets iron tailed in the throat, without showing any effort to dodge the screech at all, the battle as a whole left me less disapointed than i thought i was going to be, and at least Ash didn't forget Synthesis, just Hyota knew not to let Neatoru recover thanks to that Flamethrower.

Pros:
Hikari and her pokemon as cheerleaders
Aipom vs Geodude
Greggle ps'ing Jessie.
Pikachu's static came back(although once again the elekid line shows him up as it's was more potent, Rampart was only paralyzed one time)
Hyota's WTF look when Neatoru kept using Razor Leaf against flamethrower.
Neatoru's use of Synthesis, and the fact it beat the gyms biggest gun.

Cons:
Pikachu vs Onix
Ash's "glowing" during the Neatoru vs Rampart match, what's that about.

Last edited:

Crimsonmon

Boulder Trainer
Did they get a new music director for this episode? Because whoever did it, didn't do a very good job. First, the Pikachu fight had dramatic/sad music that didn't fit the situation at all, then when Together played, it was too damn loud.

Weav-vile

Totally!
I have only seen the pics yet, and I'd say something, but Pokémon Fan said everything IMO.

Looks like an above-avarage gym episode... Now I just got to see it. :rolleyes:

- Nozomi

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Reminisint Headbutt is the blue, shinning attack...and is actually a psychic-type move surprisngly. Rampardo uses it to block/negate attacks as well.
Ah, so when the glow covers much of its body instead of just its domed head its just another form of the same attack? That flexibility makes it a bit more like a Psychic move actually so well done animators.

Almighty Zard said:
I'll say it now, Pikachu vs Onix was the cheapest of the three fights, not just because Pikachu won way too easily,
Two super effective Iron Tails from something with as much experience as Ash's Pikachu doesn't seem like way too easily to me. Not to mention I bet that hit to the throat could be called a critical hit (they do make use of those in the anime occasionally, referring to a move "hitting a weak spot" and all which is what a Critical Hit is supposed to be in the games).

but also because Onix tired to use screech again and the the next scene it gets iron tailed in the throat, without showing any effort to dodge the screech at all,
Did you only see the screenshots? Because if so its impossible to tell if Pikachu made no effort to dodge or not. To me it looked like at one point it got behind Onix's head where the Screech couldn't effect it much.

In anime those are usually symbolic of one's fighting spirit and inner drive, assuming we're talking about the same thing.

Pokerob

Webmaster of PW.UK
Simple outcome.
Pikachu will do a fortunate attack on the Zugaidosu and eventually they win with bitter luck.
I would prefer him to win again then go to the next gym then come back to it later in the series.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Did you only see the screenshots? Because if so its impossible to tell if Pikachu made no effort to dodge or not. To me it looked like at one point it got behind Onix's head where the Screech couldn't effect it much.

I watched the episode, Onix used a second screech when pikachu came in for the second iron tail, and just suddenly learned teleport as there was no dodge made, and i call that moment cheap.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
It's nice to see how Pochama and Mimiroru working as a team. They definitely have more comaradary than other pokemon on the team.

Amakusa Ryu

All is Unknown
Well, finally, Naetoru showed its skills. I´m glad it won. Now I´m waiting for Mukubird´s highlight.

And the part where Gureguru hits Jessie with Poison Stab made me LOL a lot!

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Pokemon Fan said:
Ah, so when the glow covers much of its body instead of just its domed head its just another form of the same attack? That flexibility makes it a bit more like a Psychic move actually so well done animators.
The one where the rather violent looking aura coated it's entire body wasn't the same attack, from what I can gather. Hyouta ordered a different command for that one. I'm assuming it was Double Headbutt, considering Rampard appeared to take on some damage after using it. Zugaidos was told to use the same move a while back, iirc, to counter Pikachu's Volt Tackle.

Magical Needle Smash

It was apparently a Newtype moment.

That big, glowing one was certainly Double Headbutt. It's an attack with huge power that causes the user to take recoil damage, which is why Satoshi countered it with Volt Tackle in the previous episode.

Just as a side note, Hyouta never even used this attack at all against Shinji.

Edit: Beaten to the punch while I went to double-check the episode