• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

O'er the Rampardos We Watched! (486)

I'm actually liking Croagunk's randomness quite a bit actually, although I want him to leave Brock alone so he could at least get one girl sometime...

This gym battle was far better than the first one, due to it being different from the battle that Paul had. My one gripe about it is the overuse of the newly learnt ability to 'dodge' gracefully by spinning, I hope in future episodes that ability is used sparingly.

GonbeTR

Banned
This gym battle is good. I like that Ash learns something from Dawn. Her spinning dodge methods aren't very interesting but I like that a new co-ordinator can develop some original strategies and an experienced trainer can learn these.
I love Gregguru's (Croagunk's) scenes with Team Rocket.

npdargy312

Master Coordinator
w00t Ash won

SpongeBoblover

< She's preaty
I thought Dawn looked nice in her Cheerleading outfit:D

bhrettzerda053

I have returned.....
It's impossible that Hyouta(Roark)evolved his Cranidos into a Rampardos after battling Team Rocket, that's because in Diamond/Pearl, some of Roark's Pokemon didn't evolve yet because they remained at the same level like the next 7 of the Sinnoh gym leaders.
Back to the episode, (Satoshi)Ash seems to have recalled on his previous battle. He lost to it, right??? In that rematch, he wins that first badge.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
At least the rematch was an improvement over Ash's first battle, including the spin-and-dodge technique he learned from Dawn and the iron tail attacks. Plus, the part where Croagunk went after Team Rocket and came back without Brock even noticing he was gone was funny. :)

I also liked that they named this episode appropriately for the 4th of July, even though I didn't see it till a few weeks later.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
Not to mention the end of the win was one of Pikachu's most HARDCORE.:cool: :p With it standing completely still as Onix crashes to the ground directly behind it like the Men in Black facing a falling spaceship. Mimirol had a right to blush in sheer fangirl joy. :D

Totally agreed. Pikachu did an awesome job! :D And so did Turtwig.

All in all, a decent episode.

Torpoleon

Yay!Ash got hs first badge!All of his Pokemon did good!

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I'm surprised that Ash didn't manage to win the first time, but he got there in the end, Croagunk makes me laugh, because it just stands there and you have no idea what it's thinking, then it strikes.

Poor Team Rocket, they never seem to get a break.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Great episode, Gym battle was fabulous and Croagunk was funny with Team Rocket.

Rommath

▲_▲
Rampardos put up a very good fight I thought. Then again, it's a fairly strong Pokemon in the games too. Croagunk's antics made me laugh, as they quite often do. Glad Ash won in the end. Though it was inevitable that he would.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
roark is one of my favorite gym leaders in the D/P series, sadly he lost but it was for the best since it wouldn't be fun if ash would be stuck there forever.

ccangelopearl1362

(humming "The Star-Spangled Banner" for few seconds, then chuckling triumphantly) My soul was thoroughly warmed during this episode, between Dawn's cheerleading routine (for Ash) and the reference to America's national anthem within days of this country's 231st birthday. Perhaps Brock's Croagunk will continue sensing trouble from Team Rocket whenever Ash has a new gym battle to strategize for, scaring those three comical thieves away in the process. It's a good thing that Ash won that Coal Badge in the end, so that he is seven badges away from competing in the Sinnoh League.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
While the previous two matches against Hyouta were both fantastic, the repetition really starts to sink in here. Combined with some rather questionable moments on the whole, Satoshi's victory in Kurogane is a whole lot less thrilling than his loss. For once, we've already seen Hyuota's Pokemon strut their stuff more than once before, and they fail to do anything special here. That even includes Rampard. Admittedly, that is this battle's biggest falling - deja vu. Even with Pikachu's new strategy against Onix, the atmosphere feels really dry in combination with some anticlimatic music and animation. I said it in early 2007, and I'll say it again - "Together" just doesn't set a battle mood like prior openings, and it's easy to see why it was never again used for a big battle.

While the Pikachu and Aipom bouts are rather stale, Naetle's bout against Rampard makes for perhaps the most tilted Sinnoh gym match. Rampard seems to have taken a power nerf from its Zugaidos stage, not only being less aggressive, but going down in a whopping two blows from Naetle. This is made less believable by the fact that no matter how many hits Satoshi previously landed on Zugaidos, the thing took eons to go down. Additionally, Naetle has never been proven strong enough to lift up something as heavy as Rampard with its mouth, nor has it since, even in its Hayashigame stage. No unique strategy is really utilized here, and while it's not the BS victory that has been a select few past gyms, it's definitely the weakest installment of the Kurogane arc.

C

Shadow XD001

Too bad Paul didn't watch this match. Man, that spin move rocks! Also, the writers really like to have their titles like the lyrics from the star spangled banner.