• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
Chapter 15: Reunion

They were being followed.

Wes had suspected it for a few days now; he could have sworn he'd felt an unwelcome pair of eyes boring into him from the shadows as he and Rui spent the days combing the streets for more trainers to battle, and was almost certain he'd glimpsed someone—or something—whisk around a corner and out of sight more than once.

He hadn't said anything to Rui. He was pretty sure that if he did, she would poke him in the side and mouth the word paranoid—and maybe it was paranoia. He'd kept his ear to the ground, but since his arrival in Pyrite, he hadn't heard a whisper of Snagem. He was pondering whether to tell Rui just as much when, on the way back to Duking's house one evening, he saw it.

They had just rounded a corner, the fading glow of the desert sunset casting long shadows between the dilapidated buildings on either side of them, when he heard a strange, low buzzing. He snapped his head around, and this time, he was just quick enough to catch a greenish blur before it vanished behind a nearby building. His blood turned to ice.

This was more than just a stranger on their tail.

"What are you looking at?"

Rui wore a look of idle curiosity. He could tell her about his suspicions—but no. He knew who he was dealing with. He could handle this. Wes forced a nonchalant shrug. "Nothing, really. Just thought I saw someone familiar."

"Oh? Who?" Rui's eyes sparkled with curiosity. When he didn't answer right away, she grinned mischievously. "Not Emok, right?"

"Wha—why would you guess her?" Wes scoffed in disbelief.

She shrugged and returned her attention to the road. "I dunno. I mean, don't you two have a history or something?"

"What?"

She glanced back at him in surprise. "Wh—don't you, though? I mean, I figured, with the way she greeted you—"

"Hell no. That's not—it was never like—that's just Emok. She likes to mess with people. Especially me." For some damn reason. Wes huffed and shoved his hands in his pockets.

Rui gave a snort of laughter. "Well, that explains things. No wonder she messes with you. You're too easy to rile up."

"Excuse me?"

She grinned. "You heard me."

"Where the hell did—? That's not—"

She laughed and turned to face him while walking backwards. "Look at you! You just proved my point!"

"I did not."

Rui retorted with a fast quip, but Wes wasn't listening anymore, his ears straining to pick back up the buzzing sound. Try as he might, though, he could no longer see nor hear their follower; they'd likely turned tail as soon as he'd caught sight of them.

Good.

He forced himself to appear as attentive as possible while Rui talked enough for the both of them, but his thoughts wandered for the rest of the journey back to the house.

Tomorrow. He would deal with this tomorrow … for better or for worse.

That night, he dreamed of places, of memories, and of people he would rather forget.

It was especially windy today.

Wes shielded his eyes from the sand swirling through the air and marched onwards, undeterred. Despite the persistent winds, the sun was still as bright and hot as ever. It seemed the desert was determined to make him pay for choosing to spend his lunch break outside.

Not that it mattered. The desert could freeze over, for all he cared; he would rather expose himself to the elements than spend a minute longer than necessary inside Snagem's hideout. At least out here, in the middle of a miniature sandstorm, no one would bother trying to find him.

He made his way to his usual lunchtime spot: a large scrub bush backed up against a cliff, one of the very few sheltered spots that was close enough to Snagem to make it there and back during his break. It was a perfect location, and one that he had only ever shared with his Pokémon and Alden.

Alden, however, would be absent today; he'd been sent on a Snagging mission near Gateon, and, given the distance, wouldn't be back for at least a few more days. Wes would never admit it, but it was different with Alden gone. Being around another human that didn't want to constantly take advantage of him in one way or another was…nice.

He made it to the large tree—well, alright,
bush, but the thing was big enough to technically be a tree, and who in Orre really got to determine what trees looked like, anyway—and paused for a moment before calling out his two Eevee to stretch their legs. They loved being outside at least as much as he did, if not more, but it was unusually windy today, and he wasn't sure if exposing their little eyes to the harsh, sandy gusts was a wise decision. He'd only had them for a few months, and even with Alden's guidance, he was afraid of messing something up. What if they got an eye infection, or—?

WHAM.

Wes staggered forward with a yelp.

Always have a proper stance. Be light on your feet. Alden's advice rang in his mind. Be prepared to dodge. Make yourself a difficult target. Use your smaller size to your advantage.

He whipped around, head pounding from the unexpected blow. He sunk into a crouch, steeled himself, and lifted his gaze to meet his opponent's eyes—

A young girl stared back at him. She looked to be his age, but she was much smaller. Her fists were balled, and her stance matched his own. Her grey eyes burned with intense ferocity. She had short, light brown hair that fell just below her chin—the tips were jaggedly cut, the Orre special, hard to do it yourself without a mirror—Wes felt his mind drifting. She must've hit him harder than he thought.

"What are you doing in my spot?" she spat.

"Y-your spot?" Wes spluttered. "This is my spot! Always has been!"

"Liar." She narrowed her eyes. "I've never seen you here before."

"And I've never seen you! Who are you?"

The fire in her eyes calmed ever so slightly, but she kept her fists raised. "You mean…you weren't expecting me here?"

"Why the hell would I?" Wes snapped.

"You're not…here to hurt me?"

Wes blinked. Hurt her? She was the one who'd hit first.

Even though his head throbbed, he took a deep breath and forced himself to stay calm. He'd seen enough people pick fights they thought they'd win. There was a tension in her jaw that bullies never had—she'd picked this fight because she thought she'd had to.

"No," he said slowly. "I'm just…here for my break. I come here every day at this time."

"...Oh. I guess I shoulda figured." She slowly relaxed out of her fighting stance. When she looked him up and down, her gaze was calculating, but no longer threatening. "You look too easy to beat up. Are you the kid Sage is always picking on?"

Wes bristled. "That's none of your—"

"Wait, you have Pokémon, too?" Her eyes settled on the red and white spheres on his belt, and she tensed up again. "Y-you're not gonna set them on me, are you?"

"Wha—no!" Wes stammered. Gods, why couldn't this girl just go away? "Who are you? What do you want?"

She scowled at him. "Well, what I
want is for you to go away and let me have my spot, but I don't want you to set your Pokémon on me, so…why don't we just call it a truce and share?"

Share?
Share? His head was still throbbing. "I already told you, this is my spot."

"And it's mine, too! My breaks are usually earlier, but I switched with Len today. How was I supposed to know you'd be here?"

He returned her scowl. "Well, I don't want to share. Go away."

Her eyes flickered—Wes saw defiance there, but something else, too…fear?

"Fine!" Her voice cracked on the word. She whipped around and began to make her way back towards the base, against the wind—that must have been why she was walking so slowly, every step heavy, the same way he walked whenever it was time to return from lunch.

Alden's voice rang through his mind.
Don't make an enemy when you have the chance to make a friend, kid. Believe me, most of those other kids are just tryin' to survive, like you.

Wes chewed on his lip. Alden wasn't here, but if he were...

"Hold it!" he called out. The girl's back stiffened. He saw her tense, as if contemplating flight, but at last she turned. Her head tilted up, defiant, as he approached. She thought he meant to beat her up after all, Wes realized. The idea made his chest twist strangely. "We can share. Just this once. But in return, you—you owe me, okay?"

It took a moment for his words to sink in.

"Owe you? Owe you what?" she said suspiciously.

He opened his mouth and then closed it. He hadn't exactly thought it through that far. "If I ever have to take my break early, I get to eat here. Deal?"

Her eyes narrowed like she was searching for a catch. "Deal," she said at last. She spat into her hand as she came forward, then held it out. Wes did the same.

The girl tucked a messy strand of hair behind her ear and winced as the wind picked up a little and sprayed them both with a fresh gust of sand.

"I'm Renna, by the way. What's your name?"

She didn't wait for him to answer before she sat in the cover of the bush, settling into the sand to make herself comfortable. She blinked up at him expectantly.

He slowly sat down across from her. "...Leo."

Renna grinned. "Hi, Leo."

There was a moment of silence as they looked each other over. Renna didn't seem like a threat, and she had obviously deduced the same about him. Wes pondered for a moment and reflected on Alden's words once more …

Then he spoke, and his words sealed the beginning of a new friendship.

"Wanna meet my Pokémon?"

The scene swirled and faded, and when it came back together again, the copper sands had been replaced with steely walls. Snagem's mess hall had never been all that much to look at—but then again, the same could be said for the rest of the building.

A small crowd of kids and teenagers huddled against one wall, watching the scene unfold from across the room. Some looked terrified, some eager, and others awed.

Wes staggered under another blow, but held his ground. He glowered at the older boy from under his raised arms. "That all you got?" he spat.

The boy barked out a harsh, bitter laugh. "You really don't know when to quit, do ya, Scarface?"

Wes heard a couple snickers from the crowd. He clenched his teeth and lashed out blindly. He hadn't expected to actually land a hit, just buy a few more seconds, but then—the impact blossomed across Wes' knuckles, and suddenly the older boy was stumbling backwards with a hand over his bleeding nose, eyes wide.

A heavy silence filled the room. The boy narrowed his eyes and drew himself up to his full height—two heads taller than Wes. He pulled his bloody hand from his face and curled it into a fist.

"You…" he snarled. "I'll kill you!"

"Having fun, Fray?"

All eyes turned to the girl standing in the doorway to the entrance, her arms folded and eyes narrowed. Her short, choppy hair had grown some since the day she first met Wes, and she was taller now, though her air of confidence was much the same.

"Stay out of this, Renna!" Wes snapped.

She glared at him. "Shut it." Her gray eyes flicked to the older boy. "Not that I care, Fray, but Scarface here has another Snagging mission tomorrow. Should I tell Gonzap he won't be able to go because you beat him up?"

Fray blinked. "I...uh…" He glanced back at Wes, one hand still cupped around his face. Wes noticed his eyes were watering. "No. This nobody ain't worth any more of my time, anyway."

"That nosebleed was free, though," Wes retorted.

Fray growled, but Renna cut him off. "He's worthless, Fray. Just drop it." She idly raised a hand and examined her fingernails. "Oh, and by the way, Wakin's heading this way, and he's in a real bad mood. I wouldn't stick around if I were any of you." She threw a pointed look at the crowd of kids on the other side of the room.

She didn't need to say anything more. The mess hall came alive with shuffling movement as the kids immediately scattered, heading for any of the three exits. Renna stepped aside as Fray and several others bustled out the door behind her. In less than a minute, the room was clear.

Wes pushed himself off the wall and wiped a dribble of blood from his mouth. He shot Renna a burning look. "I was fine, you know."

"You're welcome."

"I mean it. I didn't need your help."

"Sure." Renna rolled her eyes. "When are you gonna learn, moron? Quit mouthing off to people twice your size! Actually, quit mouthing off, period!"

"He started it!"

"Yeah, and he would have ended it, too!" Renna shot back.

Wes could only respond with a scowl. He knew she was right, but what difference did it make? People like Fray were going to push him around whether he fought back or not. And it wasn't like Gonzap would care unless someone got too injured to work...

Renna relaxed a little, her face softening. "I'm...sorry for calling you Scarface, by the way. I had to convince Fray—if he thought we were friends—"

Wes glared at the floor. "It's fine." After a few beats of silence, he added quietly, "It's better than Leo."

"You …don't like your name?" Renna sounded surprised.

"It's not my name."

"Wha—yes, it is! What are you talking about?"

Wes looked back up at her. "It's a name Gonzap chose for me. But it's not mine. I picked my own a few years ago."

Renna's eyes widened. "Really? You can do that?"

"I don't know if I can, but I did." Wes gave her a small grin. "My real name's Wes."

"Wes, huh?" Renna tilted her head to the side. "How come you still go by Leo, then?"

"I don't think Gonzap would like it if he knew I changed my name from the one he gave me."

She grimaced a little. "You're probably right. He'd think you're rebelling against him or something."

Maybe I am, he thought venomously. Gonzap and his rules could rot; Wes' name was his own to choose.

"Well, then…" Renna stuck out her hand with a wide grin. "Pleasure to meet you, Wes."

He stared at her for a moment, at this fierce, fiery girl who had absolutely no obligation to call him her friend...and smiled. He laughed and shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you, too."

The scenery blurred again, then came back together to the same scrub bush, the same harsh sun. A slightly older Wes sat with his Pokémon and Alden.

Neo and Novo were eating over a scrap of fabric that Wes had laid out for them in a feeble attempt to keep sand out of their food. He'd wondered about scraping up the funds to get a bowl for them, or maybe taking one from the mess hall, but had no idea how he'd keep the thing without it getting stolen...and he wasn't sure how successfully he could get them to eat out of one bowl together, anyway.

As if to confirm this last thought, Novo hunched protectively over his kibble and let out a garbled snarl, as if suddenly realizing he wasn't eating alone. Neo flinched away, tail twitching in annoyance, and responded with a soft growl of his own.

"Novo, cut it out!" Wes said sternly. He scooted Neo's pile as far away from his brother's as possible. This appeared to be good enough, as the hairs along Novo's back slowly smoothed out and Neo returned to his meal in peace. Novo had plenty of dignity, but apparently it vanished once food came into play.

Alden, having seen this scenario play out more than once, merely shook his head and then glanced at his watch. "Is it just me, or is she a little late? That's not like her."

Wes shrugged and took a bite of his sandwich. "She had her first Snagging mission today. Maybe it went late."

Alden's face darkened. "I always said Gonzap starts you kids on those damn missions way too young."

Wes looked up at him. "What do you mean? Mine went fine! And I've been on a bunch since!"

"You've got your Pokémon looking out for you on yours, kid."

"I didn't on the first one."

"Yeah. That time you had me."

Wes scowled. It wasn't that he was ungrateful for Alden's help and guidance over the three years he'd known him, but it frustrated him that the man still saw Wes and Renna as helpless children in need of protection. None of the other adults treated him that way; in fact, now that he'd proven himself to be such a skilled Snagger, he was being pulled into more missions, and being granted more responsibilities on each one.

Alden didn't reply, but Wes could tell he was displeased with this—though Wes had no idea why.

Novo looked up from his kibble and pricked his ears forward. Neo quickly followed suit, and before Wes could glance over his shoulder—

"Wes, Alden! Look, look, look!"

Renna's voice was ringed with excitement as she ran to them, something clutched in her hand and eyes bright with triumph. She reached them, panting, and shoved the object in her hand out to Wes' face: a Pokéball.

"I did it!" she cried, face glowing, hair plastered to her forehead with sweat. "I Snagged my first Pokémon!"

Alden's smile was one of relief, not triumph. "Glad you made it back safe, kid. Who's the new Pokémon, then?"

Without another word, Renna tossed the ball to the ground; even before the light faded, she had scooped up her new companion and held it out at arm's length for them to see. "Look at her! Isn't she amazing?"

"Amazing" was not the word Wes would have chosen. Renna's new Pokémon was a round orange blob, with beady black eyes and four short, stubby legs. It took Wes a moment to realize that the blobby part was a massive head that was twice the size of its body. The creature blinked slowly at him before opening its horrifyingly oversized mouth and greeting them with a rough, grating rumble.

"Inch," it said.

Wes stared. "What. Is
that."

Alden laughed. "Well, I'll be damned! Is that a Trapinch?"

"Yeah!" Renna beamed. "Her name is Viria and she's perfect and she's mine and she's beautiful!"

"Amazing" was one thing, Wes thought. "Perfect" and "beautiful", however, were truly stretching things. It had a face like a boulder, and its orange skin reminded him of the desert at its hottest.

Still, he smiled. Renna had been desperately hoping for her own Pokémon ever since meeting Neo and Novo, and he could see just how thrilled she was to finally have one. "Congrats, Renna! You did it!"

"Yeah, I did!" Renna swelled with pride. "Wakin told me I was sloppy, but I don't care. I still got her, didn't I?"

"You sure did, kid." Alden gave her a small smile, though to Wes it looked somewhat forced. "They gonna be putting you on more missions, you think?"

"I think so! I mean, I wasn't great, but Del thought I was good enough to go again. Besides, now that I have a Pokémon, I can do even more! We can work as a team!"

"And we can battle, now, too!" Wes smirked. "Don't worry, I'll go easy on you."

She stuck her tongue out at him. "I don't need you to go easy! We'll trample all three of you—right, Viria?"

"Tra."

Neo's eyes lit up and Novo let out a reproachful bark. "Umb!"

"We'll see about that," Wes said smugly.

The sands swirled again, and this time images flickered past, snippets of angry shouts and tears and dark, shadowed rooms…

"I didn't—didn't mean to—I'm sorry—!" Wes sobbed.

A boy's young, tear-stained face in a dark room as he screamed—

"This is YOUR FAULT, LEO! I HATE YOU!"

The boy's face changed to Renna's, her angry and tearful shout ringing off the walls—

"I did what I had to do, Wes!"

He wanted to scream, to run, to get away from these memories. "Stop it—please—I'm sorry—"

And then, as if granting his wish, everything blurred and faded into dark nothingness.

He awoke slower than usual.

Wes forced his eyes open and sat up slowly. He felt like his brain was slogging through mud. It took him a moment to acclimate himself; he was still getting used to the lack of sunlight from being underground. What time was it? He checked the time on his P*DA and groaned. How had he slept in so late…?

"Bri?"

Novo pricked up his ears from where he sat near the bedroom door—his self-appointed watch post for every night. He blinked up at Wes expectantly.

"Novo," Wes said slowly, "did you help me sleep last night?"

Novo wagged his tail. "Umb!"

Well. That explained things. Wes heaved a sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Look, bud, I know you're trying to help, but from now on, don't use Hypnosis on me unless I ask. Okay?"

The Umbreon's ears drooped slightly, but he held his trainer's gaze. "Bri. Umbri."

"I mean it. I can't afford to keep doing this. It's not…" He paused. "Healthy."

...Not that going without sleep was any better, but he would have to take his chances with that. The fact that Novo had taken it upon himself to use Hypnosis made him uneasy—had he done it before?

Novo looked down at his paws and rumbled a reluctant agreement.

At the foot of Wes' bed, Neo stirred and stretched, parting his jaws in a wide yawn. "Spiiiiiiii…"

A knock at the door made all three of them jump. Novo arched his back and snarled until Wes hushed him.

"Wes?" Rui's voice sounded from the other side of the door. "Um, sorry to wake you, but we have another meeting with Sherles today .. .remember?"

Wes pinched his nose and stifled a groan. Another meeting. Fantastic. He was beginning to wonder what the point of all these meetings were; other than obtaining a few new Pokémon, they had made precious little progress in tracking down any culprits or where the Pokémon were coming from. It wasn't like any of this got settled in meetings anyway. Inevitably, he'd pick another battle, Lon would do his work, and Sherles would be safely back at the station, ready to welcome them with paperwork and agendas. Sherles grilled him about what he'd seen, if any of the trainers seemed related—they weren't, but nothing Wes said would convince him otherwise, so they talked in circles for hours.

He mumbled a response as he forced himself out a bed in a foggy daze. He glanced at the three other Pokéballs on his belt, slung over the bedframe, and heaved a sigh.

If this really was his ticket to Johto, it would be faster to walk.

"That," Silva said slowly, "is a lot of Pokémon."

Rui sat with Wes and the others inside the cavern, each of them around the table that Duking's kids usually used for homework. Secc and Marci had been banished from the room for the duration of the meeting, much to their chagrin ("But why can't we stay? We already know what's going on!") and Lon, who had little interest in dull meetings, had been more than happy to go entertain his Pokémon in the living room.

They all turned to the large cluster of Pokéballs resting on the tabletop; including the four Pokémon Wes had Snagged from Phenac, they now had a total of twelve, with their newest being a Quagsire that Lon had successfully snatched yesterday.

Sherles shook his head and rubbed his temples. "Merciful Arceus," he mumbled, "How many more are there?"

"What are we gonna do with 'em all, boss?" Johnson asked with a frown.

"For the last time, Johnson, don't call me boss—"

Rui looked back at Duking and Sherles across the table. "Well…what are our options?"

"That's the problem," Duking said. "Orre doesn't have anything in the way of Pokémon shelters, and we don't even have a Center in this town we could hope to turn them over to—once they're cured, of course."

He faltered a little at that last statement, and Rui's stomach sank. Despite her insistence that the dark auras of these Pokémon were steadily becoming clearer and purer, everyone else seemed to be getting more and more discouraged by the day. To them, Maku, Nani, and Kohna were all still prone to frenzied fits mid-battle, and she and Wes were struggling to work with them in such a state. It seemed that once they lost control, nothing could reel them in besides Wes shouting at them—and even then, that didn't always work.

Rui chewed her lip in frustration. There had to be a solution somewhere—but where?

"Couldn't some of you take them?" Wes' voice pulled Rui from her spiraling thoughts. "Johnson only has two of his own, right?"

Johnson tilted his head to the side thoughtfully, then shook his head. "Well … nah, that won't work. Sakura and Frego aren't just battling Pokémon, see. To be on the force, Pokémon and their handlers have to go through a lot of behavioral exams, and..."

He trailed off, but he didn't need to finish his sentence. None of the newly Snagged Pokémon would last more than five minutes in a behavioral evaluation.

Silva glanced at Duking. "I mean…you've got room on your team..."

Duking sighed and rubbed his forehead. "It's…it's not that I'm unwilling, but I already have my hands full, what with the Colosseum and the kids…but I could take in a few, I suppose. It could be good for them to train with Omi and Hiro."

"And you, Lycas?" Sherles looked at Wes. "You have room for one more, yes?"

"Technically, yes," Wes said tersely. "But I don't know how smart it would be to take another one. My hands are full with who I've got."

He could say that again, Rui thought. Maku and Kohna were docile enough—most of the time—but Nani alone had enough attitude for all five of his team.

But, to Rui's mild surprise, Wes sighed and said, "If I can find one that I think will be a good fit and won't be too difficult, then…I'll consider it."

That still left them with several Pokémon unaccounted for. Johnson threw Duking a hopeful look. "Well...what about Secc and Marci, then?" he proposed. "They seem mighty eager to be trainers—"

"With all due respect, officer, there is no way in hell I am letting my kids train those Pokémon." Duking raised his head and gave Johnson a hard stare. "If they were normal Pokémon I might consider it, but these ones…they're dangerous. I won't entrust them to anyone but a skilled trainer."

Sherles nodded. "That would be for the best, I think."

"Oh!" Rui perked up. "Why don't you take some, Chief?"

There was an awkward pause in which both Silva and Johnson shifted uncomfortably. Duking sighed again, and Sherles' face was taut. From the shifting auras in the room, Rui immediately sensed that she'd hit a nerve.

"I—um, sorry, I didn't mean to offend..."

"S'okay, Miss," said Johnson. He shifted in his seat and glanced at the Chief. "Boss just…doesn't do Pokémon."

"It's alright, Johnson," said Sherles with a wave of his hand. He looked at Rui with a small smile, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "I used to be a trainer, Miss Everlin, but I haven't been for nearly twenty years now. Not since I lost my starter on the job."

Oh. Oh. Rui felt her stomach drop and heat rush to her face. "I—oh, Arceus—I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have—"

"It's quite alright, my dear." Sherles' reply was understanding. "You didn't know."

Silva mercifully interrupted the brief pause that followed. "Well…what about you, Rui? Have you ever thought about being a trainer?"

Rui noticed Wes shoot her a sideways glance, though he said nothing. She dropped her gaze to the table. "I...I don't do Pokémon, either. For reasons similar to Sherles'."

Silva frowned, but said nothing.

Johnson stared at her for a moment as he processed her statement. Understanding blossomed across his face. He blurted, "Do you mean you lost a—?"

"What about you, son?" Sherles cut him off with a sharp look before turning to Silva.

Silva blanched. "Wh—uh—me?"

"No, the other Silva," Wes mumbled dryly. Rui bit back a snort.

Duking sighed. "A trainer, Sherles. Silva's never even had a Pokémon, and I certainly don't think his first should be…one of these." He gestured vaguely at the many Pokéballs on the table.

But Silva was now looking at the Pokéballs with a strange look on his face, as though he'd never considered the possibility before. "I mean…I've never had my own Pokémon, but I've spent my whole life around them, and helping out at the Colosseum…"

"Heh. You should give the Misdreavus a try," Johnson said with his usual lopsided grin. "He sure seems to like you, doesn't he?"

Silva paled a little. "H-he likes to torment me. Not the same thing."

It was true that the Misdreavus, Dio, had a nasty habit of tormenting anyone in general—popping out of shadows with a screech, phasing through walls next to people's heads, and pestering the other Pokémon while cackling maniacally—but the ghost was particularly interested in Silva. Rui didn't know much about ghost types, but she and Wes both guessed this was due to the fact that Silva himself had claimed he was not fond of ghost types, thus leading Dio to fixate on his fear.

The worst part, however, was trying to work with Dio in any constructive way. While all the new Pokémon were allowed out of their balls under Wes and Duking's supervision, Dio's antics in particular made him nearly impossible to reign in without having Novo watching his every move.

"I don't think it's a good idea," Duking said curtly. "He's not experienced."

"He has you, though, doesn't he?" Wes said. "If he wants to try, he's got space to train in the Colosseum. And you'll be there with your team to keep things from getting out of hand."

That's a good point, Rui thought. Wes had been utilizing the Colosseum on its off days to train with his team, and it was certainly a relief to have an open space where the unstable Pokémon could be worked with more safely.

Duking seemed to be mulling this over when Silva said, a little quietly, "I wouldn't mind giving it a try."

Sherles gave a curt nod. "Well then, aside from that, it seems we don't have many other options other than to keep up with what we're doing, then. Are things still working in the Colosseum?"

"Well enough," said Duking. "It's a good spot to work with several Pokémon at once, and they do seem to be responding to training, though some are more receptive than others."

Duking, with Silva's help, had been taking as many of the Pokémon as they could to the Colosseum to work and train with them on their breaks. At first, Rui wondered why he didn't simply train with Wes—but she had a suspicion it had something to do with the frosty atmosphere she'd detected between the two. Better not to pry.

The conversation shifted to Wes and Rui and any information they'd been able to gather—which was, unfortunately, next to nothing. Every trainer Wes had battled either dodged his questions, refused to speak to him outright, or simply answered with a smug variation of, "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"No one's talking," Wes said, and Rui could hear the frustration in his tone. "Whoever is responsible for this, they're powerful enough to keep all these trainers quiet. The most I've been able to get is that they seem to be getting these Pokémon after a battle of some kind, but that's it."

Johnson cocked his head to the side. "A battle, huh? Like a special sort of battle?"

"No idea."

There was a heavy silence. The weariness in the room felt suffocating.

"I—I'm taking notes!" Rui spoke up, a little louder than she meant to. "On the Pokémon, I mean. On what's working and not working. I've noticed the ones that have spent the most time with us have much calmer auras than the newer ones, so something is working. I think a lot of it is just…treating them right."

Duking nodded. "I agree. It's pretty obvious they haven't received the best treatment, though it seems to go farther than simple neglect. I know trainers in these parts are rough on their teams, but these Pokémon here—" He jerked his head to the table— "are all showing signs of serious abuse."

Rui nodded, then dropped her gaze to her lap. Even with the savage ones aside, the way Pokémon were treated in this town was horrible. After all, what kind of town had a Colosseum but not a Pokémon Center? (It didn't have a hospital for people, either, apparently.) It was all so foreign here, with the harsh battles and weaponizing of Pokémon. In Agate, Pokémon were friends, companions, another member of the family. While it was true that Agate mostly consisted of retired Ace Trainers from other regions, she'd never realized how different it was from the rest of Orre.

More things were said after that, but she had long since stopped paying attention, and instead mulled over possible solutions to their many problems. Perhaps she could ask Pap or Nan for advice…but that would mean sharing more details about the mission, and causing them more worry…

Rustling and movement made her jump and look up; the meeting had apparently ended, as everyone was rising from the table and breaking off into separate conversations. Wes already standing and gathering up his bag

She frowned at him. "Are you going somewhere?"

"I'm going out to run some errands today. We need more Pokéballs, and Lon said he knew a place that sold some here."

"Oh! Really?" Rui perked up. "Let's go, then!"

"No. I'm going alone." Wes' response was surprisingly curt, even for him. "It's in a not so great part of town, and I'd rather you not come."

Oh.

For some reason, his words hit her like a punch to the gut. Of course he wouldn't want her to come—what she'd seen of Pyrite was shady enough, so she couldn't imagine what the less desirable parts of town were like. And I'm worthless in that department, she thought dejectedly. In a place like that, I'm just…extra baggage.

She knew it made sense for her not to go, knew it was practical and not personal…so why did she feel so hurt?

Rui forced a small smile. "That…that makes sense. I was going to help Marci with her homework, anyway."

Homework. Wes was saving Pokemon. Duking was saving a city. I feel so useless.

Wes wasn't looking at her; he seemed preoccupied with gathering his belongings. He only briefly made eye contact with her to nod and say, "See you later, then," before walking out the door.

Silva and Johnson cheerfully bade him farewell and they, too, began filing out of the room with Duking and Sherles. Rui looked back down at her hands.

If I had stayed a trainer, would I have been more useful…?

"Rui? Care to join us?" Duking was still standing in the doorway and looking at her with mild concern.

"Y-yes, I'm coming!" Rui injected what she hoped was convincing cheerfulness into her tone and hopped up from her chair. Duking ushered her through the door with a small smile.

"You know, we're quite fortunate to have you here," he said lightly. "We wouldn't know where to begin without you and that impressive ability of yours."

Rui blinked up at him and returned his smile, a tiny flicker of warmth replacing the sinking feeling in her stomach. "Oh, I don't know about that. Wes is doing most of the work, anyway."

Duking shook his head. "Trust me, my dear, you're more valuable to this mission than any of us." His mustache twitched as he smiled wider. "I just thought you ought to know that."

Rui wasn't able to answer, as at that moment they entered the kitchen and Marci bounced up to her to tell her all about an art project she was excited about. Rui took a moment to take in the sight of the cozy kitchen, of Secc tucked into his usual seat as Duking ruffled his hair, of the pleasant and bright auras emanating from all three of them.

Not useless. She raised a hand to her necklace and held it tightly. I am not useless.

She would keep repeating those words until she believed them.

Gods, he hated this bridge.

Wes squared his shoulders and clenched his jaw, forcing himself to keep his eyes straight ahead as he walked across the creaky wooden planks. The Colosseum lay just ahead, a once-impressive wooden dome that now looked as though a tornado had ripped through it. No matter how many times he'd trekked across the gaping canyon that separated the Colosseum from the rest of the town, he still felt as queasy as he had the first time.

The bridge swayed slightly in the updrafts from the black abyss below. Wes felt his heart skip a beat and cursed quietly under his breath. He did not relax until he finally made it through to solid ground on the other side.

Wes allowed himself a moment to take a few deep, shaky breaths, then let Neo and Novo out of their Pokéballs. Logic told him they would have been just fine crossing the bridge with him, but the thought of either of them slipping off the edge was enough for him to dismiss that thought.

"Es-prrrrr!"" Neo trilled as he shook out his coat. Novo yawned and blinked sleepily.

"Keep an eye out, guys," Wes said, his voice low. "We're expecting some…old friends."

Both of them tensed and sharply met his gaze. They understood what he meant.

Wes had spent the last hour walking the side streets of town, waiting for her to reappear. He'd kept Neo close, and as soon as the Espeon alerted him with a soft chirp, he'd felt the hairs rise on the back of his neck.

He'd meet her on his own terms.

Wes stepped into the empty Colosseum and made for the training arena, a smaller dome behind the main one that was little more than wooden walls and rafters and packed-down sand for the floor. A few empty oil drums sat along one side—props for training exercises, he figured. He leaned against one and waited.

Neo and Novo sat at attention on either side of him, ears pricked and eyes alert. After several minutes, Neo's tail lashed and Novo rumbled softly. Wes raised his eyes to the hole-y ceiling and spoke, his voice echoing in the vacant space.

"I know you're here."

Several beats of silence. Then—

"Long time no see, Leo."

Her voice, though soft and low, still carried across the dome. Wes flicked his gaze to the entrance and saw exactly who he was expecting to see.

Instead of the usual dark, baggy Snagem uniform, she was sporting a leather jacket and slim, dark denims with sturdy boots. Her short, choppy haircut was long gone; now her hair flowed in sleek, straight tresses all the way down to the center of her back.

"Renna," Wes said quietly.

"Wes." She strode out of the shadows and took up a position a few feet in front of him, though she still kept close to the edge of the room. Never leaving her back exposed, like a good Snagem member.

She leaned against the wall and regarded him with a cold, gray-eyed gaze. "Miss me?"

Two growls saved Wes from having to answer. Novo stalked forward, hairs rising on his nape, lip curled to reveal a sharp set of fangs. Neo weaved around Wes' legs and took a protective stance in front of him.

Renna merely spared them a passing glance. She looked back at Wes with a raised eyebrow. "Turned them against me already, have you?"

"I didn't turn them against you." Wes returned her icy stare with his own. You did that yourself.

"Figures." She pushed herself off the wall and came closer, ignoring how Novo's snarls grew louder with each step she took. Wes gave no command to attack, however, so the Umbreon simply nipped threateningly at her heels as she passed him by.

She came to a stop scarcely a few inches from Wes' face. This close, he could see her smile barely masked sharp edges of anger.

"I'm a little hurt, you know," she said smoothly. "You didn't even bother asking if I wanted to come along for the ride?"

"Slipped my mind, I guess," Wes answered coldly.

"Oh, come now. I know we weren't rainbows and sunshine, but I doubt you'd forget about me so easily." She leaned in, uncomfortably close—intentionally close, he knew.

"Are you done?" he growled.

"Oh, I'm just getting started." Her eyes bored into his. "Tell me, what's this about you running off to play cop?" She raised a hand to fiddle with the collar of his coat in a mockingly flirtatious gesture.

Once upon a time, such a gesture would have meant something to both of them—but that time had long since passed. He grabbed her by the wrist and hissed as he shoved her back.

"Step. Away."

A gleam entered Renna's eyes, one that Wes knew well, and he wondered if she would push back just to challenge him. Instead, she took a few steps back with a mocking snort, ignoring the growls from Neo and Novo as she moved.

"Even after all this time, it doesn't take much to get under your skin, does it?"

"Don't test me, Renna."

Her eyebrows shot up, then she tossed her head back and barked out a laugh that rippled with cold, righteous fury. When she looked back into Wes' eyes, her own were bright with anger. "Are you threatening me, now?"

"Depends," Wes spat. "What do you want? Why are you here?"

"Isn't it obvious? I've been sent to track you down. Drag you back to Snagem if I can." She crossed her arms. "Wakin assigned me the job himself."

"Of course he did." Wes tried and failed to mask his own anger as he spoke. "Wouldn't entrust the job to anybody but his favorite, now, would he?"

He'd struck a nerve.

She was back in his face before he could even blink; her hands closed around the lapel of his coat as she slammed him into the oil drum behind him, a snarl tearing from her throat.

"Don't you dare go there. You of all people should know—"

"BRI!"

Novo's enraged bark rang in Wes' ears. He saw the Umbreon advancing on Renna, back arched, rings pulsing, ready to tear into her in an instant. Neo flanked her on the other side, his jewel gleaming with psychic energy.

Renna's eyes flicked to them and back to Wes. "Call them off," she said softly, "or I will make things ugly."

Her hand twitched to the two Pokéballs on her belt.

Wes glowered back at her, seething with hot fury. He didn't doubt Renna's promise to wreak havoc, however, and silently returned Neo and Novo to their Pokéballs before shoving her away.

She huffed and straightened her jacket. "Don't go there," she repeated, glaring daggers at him. "Don't you dare."

He scoffed at her. "Am I wrong? One day you hate everything about Snagem and what it stands for, and the next you're sucking up to Gonzap and Wakin, chomping at the bit to do all their dirty work—"

"Well, we weren't all as lucky as you, were we?" Renna snapped. "We weren't all naturally gifted, so some of us had to scrape and claw for every chance to make ourselves useful!"

Wes folded his arms. "Don't make it sound like it was easy for me. You know damn well it wasn't."

"But that didn't stop you, did it?" she hissed. "Didn't stop you from stepping on everyone else to survive, to rise up the ranks, and now you have the nerve to lecture me for doing the same thing, for trying to protect my family—"

"There you have it, then!" Wes shot back. "You protected yours, and I protected mine!"

"By blowing up the base?" Renna's volume rose with every syllable. "Do you realize how many people you could have killed? Kian has scars because of you!"

Wes' stomach wrenched. He'd been careful, so careful, about timing with the shifts on base to minimize casualties, but he'd known there were bound to be injuries. Kian was one of the few grunts he'd never had issues with … but the damage had already been done. He couldn't afford regrets.

"I didn't blow up the base," he said, forcing his voice to remain even. "I blew up the Snag Machines. There's a diff—"

"Oh, sure!" Wes saw Renna's eyes briefly scan his blue coat, then she looked back at him with a bitter, scathing sneer. "I'm sure Alden would be so proud of who you've become, Leo—"

It was Wes' turn to lunge.

He seized Renna by the collar of her jacket and wrenched her face close to his. Rage blazed in his chest.

"Don't call me that, don't ever call me that, and how dare you—"

"How dare I? How dare you! You LEFT!" Her shout echoed painfully off the rounded walls. "You left, Wes, and you didn't tell me anything before you—you—"

Her voice cracked.

Wes stared, shock slowly washing over his hot anger. Renna's eyes glistened with angry tears; her smooth facade from just a few minutes ago having crumbled to dust.

"I..." His grip slackened. After months of watching Renna dive headfirst into the life of Snagem authority, of watching her appear to revel in it, he'd chosen to keep her in the dark about his plans. Perhaps, if they'd been on speaking terms at the time, he might have known how she really felt, and things would have been different…

You were no better, the voice in his head hissed, almost gleeful. You subscribed to that life just as much as she did, didn't you? After Alden—

I know.
He clenched his teeth. I know.

Renna was trembling slightly, still glowering at him, and Wes could no longer deny the shame swelling up inside his chest.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly.

Her eyes flashed; she shoved him forcefully away. "Shut the hell up! You think I want your pity? I've made my decision and I'm stuck with it. But don't you dare think for one second it's because I wanted to."

Silence filled the space between them. Wes closed his eyes and ran a shaking hand through his hair, forcing himself to take deep breaths. Renna's remark had cut deep, slicing at him like an icy knife—and she was right.

Wes was nothing like Alden had taught him to be, and he hated himself for it.

Still, she knew better than to call him Leo, knew how much he hated that name and what that meant to him, and—

Wait. Wait.

He glanced down at the Pokéballs on his belt.

A name—

"Dammit, Wes," Renna said through clenched teeth. "If you'd just left the region like a sane person, I wouldn't have had to deal with all of this."

Wes shook away his thoughts and looked back up at her, taking in the frustration on her face. He leaned back against the oil drum once more and folded his arms to hide the fact that they were trembling. "So. You found me. Now what? Going to turn me in?"

She didn't answer right away. Instead, she narrowed her eyes at him and mirrored his stance. When she finally spoke, her answer caught him by surprise.

"No."

He raised an eyebrow at her.

Renna sighed and shook her head. "Even if I wanted to drag you back to Snagem—and I'm not sure I don't—that's not what I'm here for. I was under orders to tail you and find out what you're up to, but nothing more."

What? He frowned. He'd expected Snagem to attempt to drag him back at any cost. What was she playing at?

Renna must have seen his confusion, because then she said, "I didn't get it either—until I came here." She paused. "Somebody here has a monopoly on your head, Lycas. And they're powerful enough that Snagem doesn't want to get involved."

Wes stared at her, a chill running down his spine. "What?"

"That's what I should be asking," she said coldly. "I mean, what the hell, Wes. First you go rogue, then you look like you're leaving the region when I lose your trail…and when I find you again, you're here? Doing something—whatever it is—to piss off someone you don't want to be pissing off, frolicking around with the cops, of all people? What is wrong with you?" She snorted. "And don't think I haven't seen that frilly little side piece of yours following you around."

He bristled. "It wasn't supposed to be this way. I got roped into things I didn't sign up for—but what do you mean, there's a monopoly on my head? Where did you hear that from?"

"You know how it is here. Trainers talk. Somebody's in charge of this town, and it sure isn't that pseudo-mayor, no matter how much he might think it."

"Who, then?"

Renna shrugged. "The only name I was able to get out of anybody was 'Cipher.' People were too freaked out to tell me anything more." She sighed wearily. "Look, I don't know what you're up to here in Pyrite, and I don't know why you haven't just ditched Orre entirely—and that ridiculous girlfriend of yours—but listen to me when I say this, Wes. People are out for your blood—and not just here. Gonzap would love nothing more than to kill you with his bare hands."

"First of all, she's not my girlfriend," Wes said curtly. "Second, I know Gonzap well enough to have figured that out for myself, thanks."

Renna tipped her head back."That stunt you pulled was stupid and reckless as hell, but I will say you missed out on the show afterwards." A bitter grin flashed across her face. "I've never seen him so pissed. Thought he was going to tear down the rest of the building himself in his tantrum. Got some good burns from the explosion, too."

That was satisfying to hear. "Good. He deserved it."

Her eyes glinted with fierce satisfaction. "Hell yes, he did."

They looked at one another. "So…you're not going to turn me in?" Wes asked warily.

"Like I said. I don't think I can, at least not without putting a target on my back. And unlike you, I'm not too keen on the idea." She sighed again, and her face softened a little. "If you know what's good for you, you'll high-tail it out of Orre as soon as you can. There's nothing good waiting for you here."

Wes shook his head. "I can't."

Renna raised an eyebrow."Why? Is it because of that girl?" She smirked. "I know things didn't pan out when we tried to go steady, but—come on, now. Really? Her?"

"It's nothing like that."

She rolled her eyes. "Coulda fooled me, with the way she follows you everywhere and looks at you with those big eyes. She's like a lovesick Poochyena pup."

Lovesick? Wes briefly reflected on the times Rui looked him in the eyes, and distinctly remembered her expressions. Bewildered. Frustrated. Flat out annoyed.

He scoffed. "Please. You're exaggerating."

"Oh, maybe a little. I think my point still stands, though."

He changed the subject to more pressing matters. "What are you going to do, then?"

"I'll stick around, for now. Who knows? Maybe I can strike a deal with this mysterious person who so badly wants to bring you in." This time her smile felt real. "But for now, it looks like my hands are tied. I can't touch you."

"And if things were different?" Wes asked. "Would you really turn me over to Gonzap?"

Renna met his gaze evenly, and for a moment, neither of them spoke.

"I don't know," she said quietly.

Wes didn't know how to respond to that, but he didn't have to; Renna stood up straight, her expression becoming impassive once more. "Well, as fun as this little reunion was, I have other things to do."

"Not going to grill me with questions, are you?" he asked dryly.

She raised an eyebrow. "And what good would that do? Unless you're saying you'll tell me what it is you're doing?"

"Depends. What is Snagem going to do with the information?"

Renna shrugged. "Dunno, that's not my decision. But I can't imagine it spells good news for you or your new friends." She sneered at the last word.

Friends? No, Wes certainly wouldn't call any of them that. But he thought of Rui, of Marci and Secc and the other kids at the house…

He looked her in the eyes. "I can't tell you anything."

She snorted. "I figured as much. I could try to force it out of you, but I'm not an idiot." Her gaze flickered to the Pokéballs on Wes' belt—she'd noticed his three new ones, then. She looked back at him. "Once a Snagger, always a Snagger, huh?"

Wes clenched his teeth and refused to answer.

"Not to worry, I'll get the information I need one way or another." Renna dusted off her jacket and headed for the exit. Wes expected her to leave without another word, but as she reached the door, she glanced back over her shoulder. "And...Wes? I don't know why you're here, but...try not to get yourself killed."

He gave her a wry smile. "I don't plan on it."

She huffed in amusement. "Moron. Give those gremlins of yours some love for me. Cobalt and Viria miss them."

He nodded, and then, in the blink of an eye, she was gone.

Author's Notes:

Uhh, wow, it's been a minute, hasn't it? Haha...

Sorry for the unexpected hiatus! The holidays slammed me hard, and since then I've been collaborating with two new beta-readers to polish current and future chapters! As such, I will be reposting revised versions of each chapter over the next two weeks and hope to have them all finished before chapter 16 is published. The changes I plan to make largely involve scenes with Rui and Duking, so if anything in this chapter feels "off," that might be why. Sorry about that—it will all make sense soon, I promise!

And on that note, I'd like to give a HUGE shoutout to An Author's Pen and kintsugi, who have volunteered to beta-read new chapters! Their feedback has been so ridiculously helpful and I am beyond honored to have their help. Please do check out their profiles and their work—I assure you they are much better writers than I am!

Due to editing, things are going to go off schedule for a little while, but don't worry! I am working to move OSAS forward every day! When things get back on schedule, I will likely keep it to every two weeks just to give my betas time to read and provide feedback.

Thanks for all your support, and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

InfiniteBakuphoon

Impressionist Bakuphoon
(The below is a review written on 05/13/2021 covering Chapters 1-5, cross-posted from Bulbagarden so that people here can read it.)

Hello there! I'm here with a review for the first five chapters of this fic. I first encountered this story relatively early in its life here on and I intended to read it, but other things got in the way at the time. I can see that it's grown quite beyond the five chapters that are present at my "home" at Bulbagarden right now, but since it's there, I took that as an opportunity to finally read this, all without the pressure of having to read through so many chapters. So with that said, I'll begin below!

To start, I'd like to provide some background with my experience as a kid with Pokémon Colosseum, how that contrasts with my perspective now, and how both relate to your fic. I was approximately ten when I first played it, having rented it out of curiosity to discover what a Pokémon game on a console would be like, specifically one with that much-talked-about story mode. There wasn't nearly enough space for me to save the game on the GameCube's pathetically small memory cards, so I didn't progress very far. I did, however, end up watching the opening at least twice or more, and man was it an opening to behold! A dark, brooding hero for a protagonist? Two badass Eeveelutions by your side? Blowing up the evil team's base... a team that you were a member of? And then riding away in a badass hoverbike across an arid desert landscape, all like a total boss? Hell yeah, that was awesome! And I'm sure for many a ten-year-old used to playing as the relatively dry, goodie-two-shoes protagonists of the mainline Pokémon games, seeing a protagonist like Wes do all of that, all in the very first minute of the game, was like watching the epitome of cool.

But with your story, however, that iconic opening scene is... different. The whole badassery of the scene remains (it's kind of hard to remove the sheer awesome of blowing up your former employer's evil base, even through an adult lens), but Wes in particular is different. He's no longer that avatar of everything that our ten-year-old selves wanted to be; that total badass that not even Red himself could match in cool factor. Instead, he's human. Rather than use that scene to glorify Wes as the original game pretty much did, you instead wisely use it to give us a better sense of why Wes would want to do all of this, and what's going on in his mind in general. And surprisingly, we can see that while he's certainly getting some serious satisfaction of out what he's doing, he also seems kind of afraid too! Almost as if there's a part of his mind somewhere that thinks that he might actually fail. Through this scene, it's established from the very beginning that while this will certainly be one of those adaptations that will be "darker" and "more mature" than the original, it's the kind of "darker" and "more mature" that actually lives up to the weight of such terms, rather than simply throwing a bunch of blood, darkness, and violence at everything (although it's clear that the latter two will definitely also be in play, just not excessively so).

That said, the above isn't actually what led me to continue reading. After all, even a darker and more mature take on Colosseum isn't exactly something that hasn't been attempted before, with it and its characters and setting being very popular in the fandom. And although I've never played through Colosseum in its entirety, I do know what happens in the story, which means that novelty alone was never going to be enough to make me stick around for something that (at first!) appeared to follow the plot of the original game pretty closely. So what made me stay?

To my own surprise, it's because this fic is actually really, really funny! Really, half of the time I had a smile on my face, barely keeping myself from breaking out in constant laughter. Not at all what I would've expected from an Orre fic! But how? Well...

...there's Rui, who, like Wes, is rather different here. She's much more of an airhead here than I remember her being in canon, almost to the point of being kind of an idiot, honestly. Specifically because she's in Orre, a place where lacking basic survival instinct will get you into trouble very, very quickly (and indeed, she does get herself kidnapped). That said, she's also sympathetic in that she's quickly established as coming from a much less crime-infested part of the region, thus giving the impression that she's actually quite sheltered and wouldn't have any reason to fully understand what you "do and don't do" in Orre. And then there's the scenes where Rui actually lampshades her own stupidity (the one where she questions the wisdom of spending the night alone in a dark cellar with a guy she met mere hours ago being a particularly darkly hilarious example). All of which clearly demonstrates that she's not really an idiot, just rather naïve and perhaps a bit quick to follow through on what comes to her mind. And that latter quality is arguably a quite admirable and even heroic trait in some ways, especially given her other qualities — particularly her strong sense of justice — that I'll bring up later.

Now, what makes Rui's... naïveté, I'll call it, so great for the narrative is that it makes her a good foil for Wes — the anything-but-naïve veteran who knows exactly what you "do and don't do" in Orre — whose plans she constantly ruins with her sympathetically silly antics, and whose sarcasm and (seeming) apathy towards the world is constantly interrupted and challenged by her pure, sincere curiosity of both him and of the strange new world around her. If not for Rui, actually, there would really be no plot, because then there would be nothing stopping Wes from getting to Gateon Port by chapter three and then the story would basically be over! But that would be boring, obviously, so instead what we have here is (so far, at least) almost kind of a dark comedy where the dark, brooding hero's quest for freedom from a world of misery is constantly derailed to hilarious ends by one pesky, annoying, yet highly likable girl. This type of foil has been done before, of course, but there's a reason why people keep using it: because it's freaking funny, as it most definitely is here.

That said, there is the question of how well this lighter side of the story fits in with "darker" and "more mature" side hinted at in the first scene and through various scattered moments in subsequent chapters. After all, there's obviously little that's funny about having nightmares about your dark and troubled past torment you every night, or about hearing your (likely abusive) former boss's voice in your head, tempting you to give in to your lesser nature. To the story's credit, it does give these moments the weight and respect that they deserve, and it does it all without completely snuffing out the light from the less serious ones. The fic is neither too light nor too dark at any one given point, instead switching between moderates of the two when appropriate. And they arguably even play off each other a little in that the the back-and-forth between Wes and Rui produces conversations that shift naturally into brief spurts of darker, character-developing territory. It's almost like a dance, one that your fic does quite gracefully. But with that in mind, how can Rui's plot-derailing antics be funny, instead of disturbing or frustrating? How is Rui likable, instead of highly unsympathetic for putting herself and Wes in constant danger and keeping the latter from escaping a place that literally haunts him at night? Well, I think that it's because for all of the darkness that hangs over everything like a cloud, threatening to rain down on Wes and Rui at some point down the line, we know that nothing bad will really happen to them at this early point in the story. It's all just a fun ride! Mostly, and for now.

Now, no discussion of Colosseum — or an adaptation of it — is complete without bringing Wes's Eeveelutions into the spotlight, or in your fic's case: Neo and Novo. And man, are these two awesome! As well as extremely important to the narrative; more so than even Rui, I'd argue. From the very beginning, these two establish the more lighthearted side of this fic with their antics, especially the former's (with Neo's figurative flipping off of Team Snagem in the first scene in particular just straddling the line between, "oh, how cute, Neo!" and "what the hell, Neo!?"). They bring constant humor and light to the story (I never thought I'd associate the words "bacon addiction" with an Orre fic, haha), and they're arguably the heart of the fic in many ways, as well as possibly the "heart" of Wes himself. They're the only characters whom Wes shows consistent, unconditional love and care for thus far, and for a decent stretch of the fic, they've been the sole means through which we've been able to see Wes's "true" side beneath his hard, tough-guy, don't-give-a-damn exterior. They're also the ones who convince Wes to rescue Rui against his initial instincts, acting almost like a morality chain to him in that sense. And actually, I have to say that it's quite refreshing to see that instead of having Rui be "that girl" who singlehandedly saves Wes from a life of darkness and apathy and who brings out the purer, kinder side of him that only she can see. Instead, through Neo and Novo, we're able to see that Wes is already quite decent; he's just not always inclined to decency thanks to the mentality that a place like Orre demands, as well as the trauma from his dark and troubled past. But perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise to see Neo and Novo in that kind of role because, as mentioned by many others before, those two evolved for a reason (happiness). It makes sense that they'd be the first ones to "open up Wes's heart", and it feels more natural that way versus having the resident female lead do it (even if Rui will almost certainly have her own role to play in "opening up Wes's heart" too; she just won't be the only player, and that's a good thing!).

That said, things are getting interesting in the story as of late. Already in chapter five, I can see that — the inevitable appearance of a certain infamous character aside — there's a lot less humor and light in this one, with the consequences of Rui's foolishness in particular being played painfully straight this time. We also get to see Wes in an especially bad mood here, to the point where he nearly successfully pushes Rui away before her kindness pushes its way through to him yet again. And finally, we get to see Rui as a bit more than "that annoying tagalong" as she puts her foot down and declares her rather admirable, if perhaps also slightly naïve, convictions... convictions that threaten the entire foundation of her relationship with Wes (unbeknownst to her, yet). The rainclouds seem to be getting darker now, and with that lie especially — one even worse than the one Wes goes with in canon, which I believe was more of a lie of omission — there's the makings of an all-out storm of darkness and misery here...

...one that I look forward to reading about in future chapters! Because, as you can probably already tell, I really like this story, it being one of the better Colosseum adaptations that I've come across with some very nice surprises throughout. As I mentioned before, I know that the FF.net version is already quite far ahead of the Bulbagarden one, but if you intend to keep posting chapters there, then I'll certainly continue reading it there. So even with the lack of reviews there (rather surprisingly, given this fic's apparent reputation elsewhere, including here), you'll at least know that I'll be reading, haha.

I hope that all of the above helps you!

Author’s Note: this isn’t so much an official chapter update, it was a simple holiday one-shot that I wrote in nearly all dialogue format just for fun. But it’s canon to OSAS, so I figured I’d post it here anyway. Enjoy!

Starfrost

“Hey. Hey, kid. Wake up.”

“Huh—wha…?”

“Get out here. I got something to show you.”

“Righnow...?”

“Yep. Come on.”

“Wha’ time issit?”

“Dunno. I think one-thirty or so.”

“What?” A groan. “Alden, wha’ the hell?”

“You’ll thank me later, I promise. And watch your language, kid. You’re too young to be talking like that.”

“You talk like that all the time.”

“Do as I say, not as I do. Besides, I’m an adult.”

“Technically, I am doing as you’re saying.”

“...Since when did you become such a smartass?”

“Since you started waking me up in the middle of the night.”

“Hah! Fair enough. Now come on out here, I’ve got something for you. It’s a special night tonight.”

“Special?”

“That’s right. You’re about to experience your first Lumifrost, kid.”

A yawn. “What’ssat?”

“Well, come on out here and find out!”

“Nnngh…”

“You’re awake now, so might as well...that’s it. There you go—stop grumbling and step this way—and here we are!”

Cold night air, breaths puffing into misty clouds, blackness all around.

“I don’t see any—woah.”

A chuckle. “Happy Lumifrost.”

“Where…where did you get all this food?”

“Been saving it, mostly. But I also may or may not have nabbed a few things from the Snagger’s feast before we went out on this mission.”

“A few?”

“All right, a bunch. They were all too drunk to notice, anyhow—but don’t go getting ideas, kid. I can get away with swiping food from Gonzap’s table with my life still intact. You can’t.”

“But they get all this food and the rest of us don’t. It’s not fair.”

“No, it’s not. But we do what we can, yeah? Now help yourself, I didn’t bring all this to eat it myself.”

“‘Kay.” Crunch, munch. “Whassso speshal bout Loo’ frosh anyweh?”

“Good gods, kid, did you suddenly pick up a second language?”

“Ahm eatinh!”

“I can sure as hell see that. Take your time and swallow before you talk. I can’t have you choking to death tonight of all nights. That would ruin the mood and make you a poor party guest.”

“Hilarioush.”

“Thank you.”

“Thah washn’t a—”

“I know, ya punk. Now shut up until you’re done eating.”

“Hmmmph.”

“Right. So, ya wanna know what’s so special about Lumifrost, eh? Well, that’s because on this night, and only this night, you can see Ho-oh himself.”

“Wha?” Gulp. “I thought he wasn’t real. And I haven’t seen anything.”

“Not yet. Look up.”

“Why do I need to—?”

Silence.

“Amazing, isn’t it?”

“Are these stars?”

“Of course they are. You’ve just never seen this many.”

“But why are there so many?”

“Because we’re out in the middle of the desert with no towns for miles. Less light from the cities polluting the skies. All these stars? They’re always there, you just need to be in the right place for ‘em to show up.”

No response.

A chuckle. “When I found out this would be your first Lumifrost, I knew I had to bring you out here.”

“Where’s Ho-oh, though?”

“In the stars. This is the only night of the year that the entire Achihonō constellation is visible.”

“…The what?”

“Another name for Ho-oh. It comes from an ancient people that once occupied all of Orre and Johto long ago. And it has a story, too. In fact, did you know the stars are full of stories?”

“Huh?”

“It’s true. There are shapes made by the stars, called constellations. And there are stories about each one. See that line of stars up there?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay. Now, follow my finger - see how it connects and makes a sort of diamond shape?”

“...I think so.”

“That right there is Achihonō—Ho-oh.”

“Yeah, but...why is it called that?”

“Because it makes the shape of Ho-oh and his wings.”

“No, it doesn’t.”

“Well...yeah, no, not really. I dunno, kid, I didn’t make up these stories.”

“Who did?”

“I have no idea.”

“Then where did they come from?”

“...Do you wanna hear the story or not?”

“Will it make any sense? Because so far, none of this makes sense.”

A sigh. “Kid, you’re really killing the atmosphere, here.”

“Sorry. Tell me the story.”

“You sure you wanna hear it?”

“Yeah.”

“Alright then. There’s lots of stories about Ho-oh, actually, but the one in the stars is about his mission.

See, legend has it that he’s destined to stay in the sky forever, never landing, forever searching for pure-hearted trainers and righteous lands to bless. And if the Achihonō constellation is especially bright on Lumifrost, it means a year of prosperity and happiness for whoever sees it.”

A pause. Then—

“That’s a load of ****.”

“What did I tell you about watching your mouth, kid?”

“Well, it is. Since when has anybody in Orre had a—a propous year or whatever?”

“Prosperous. And, well, it’s an old legend. Can’t say whether it’s really true or not, but I also don’t think too many people in Orre are looking for Achihonō. Not many of ‘em know the story to begin with. Just a day to eat lots of food for most people.”

“Then…how do you know the story?”

A long moment of silence. When the reply comes, it is soft. “Learned about it when I was a kid. Back in Johto.”

“You’re from—? But how did—why are you in—?”

“That’s for another time. Maybe I’ll tell you about it someday…but not tonight. Please.”

There is a weariness in the air that leaves no more room for questions.

“…Okay.” Another pause. “So…do you know about other star stories?”

“Hah, sure I do. Would you like to hear ‘em?”

“Yeah.”

“All right, let’s see here…see that cluster over there? Connect that line to that one, and you’ve got Cygnus the Kyogre, who had to save the world from a perilous drought…”

Words flow, time drifts, the skies shift.

“…and that’s why that one is called Ursaring Major, and the other Teddiursa Minor.”

“Mmm.”

“You fallin’ asleep on me, kid?”

“N-no.”

“Yes, you are. Come on, let’s go back to bed.”

“Okay.”

A pause.

“Hey, Alden?”

“Hmm?”

“Thanks…for this. It was nice.”

A soft chuckle. Ruffled hair.

“Happy Lumifrost, kid.”

Spiteful Murkrow

Early Game Encounter
Heya, it’s not quite Nameless, but offsite Review Roulette has spoken and deemed it fit that I take a look at OSAS proper before I go off getting neck-deep into your supplementary materials. So let’s try and give you an incentive to bump your story's version on this site, and jump right in and see what all the hoopla is about:

Chapter 1

Some would say that "barren" and "Orre" were the same thing.

s / “barren” / “cesspool” and then you’re a bit more accurate. :V

It would only take a brief view of the landscape to see why. The desert region sprawled for miles, seemingly without end, with little to no life in sight. The sun blazed down mercilessly on the copper sands as the winds whistled aimlessly across them. The only sign of life was the occasional tumbleweed that rolled lazily on by.

But there is life, right?

b72dd05180817700dd6d7558ca653138.gif

One thing disrupted the flat expanse: a series of cliffs, tucked away from the sands, which formed a narrow canyon. At this canyon's mouth sat a large building—or, at least, something that barely qualified as one. The structure, though massive, almost looked more like a pile of poorly assembled pipes and scrap metal than an actual building. Like its surroundings, this, too, was a quiet and still place, with only the howling canyon winds to break the silence.

I pulled up the Colosseum intro in the background to cross-reference this, and… yeah, that’s a pretty accurate description. Will make a mental note to self that whatever’s described here generally tracks whatever’s depicted in the games, but it’s a nice touch.

It wouldn't be quiet for long.

BOOOOM!

Is said pile of pipes and scrap metal even going to exist past the next paragraph? ^^;

An earth-rending explosion shattered the stillness. Flames burst from a section of the dilapidated building, followed shortly by screams. People in dark uniforms emerged from the blazing building, their faces masks of panic and confusion. Among the chaos, no one seemed to notice one person in particular dashing away from the scene, with two Pokémon sprinting at his side.

"Go, go, GO!" the young man shouted at his companions as he raced for a beat-up motorcycle parked on the desert sand. He sprang nimbly onto the seat, revved the engine, and glanced quickly into the sidecar, where his two partners should have been safely seated—only to find his Umbreon watching him tersely.

Novo: “*... Wes, you do realize this would’ve been easier to pull off if we’d waited until night when everyone was asleep, right?*” .-.
Neo: “*Ah, live a little, Novo! We’ve got an intro cinematic to act out! Besides, it’s more fun this way…*”
784725534470963221.png

He glanced over his shoulder and found his Espeon a few yards away, yipping loudly at the people fleeing the burning building, tail waving triumphantly in the air. He didn't speak Pokémon, but the runaway figured if he did, he would be hearing a choice selection of colorful insults.

So, what are the odds of that triumphant tail wave being some variation of the Stadium Flareon taunting animation?
:loltias:

Neo:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfeOFVe6ADw

Novo: “*And that’s why this story isn’t translating our dialogue for the readers.*” ^^;

"Neo, you idiot-"

"Espi-esp, esp, esp! Es-SPI!?" The Espeon's barks cut short in a yap of surprise as his trainer hauled him off his feet and shoved him under one arm. He sprinted back to the motorcycle and dumped the creature rather unceremoniously into the sidecar next to his brother, ignoring the Pokémon's cries of indignation.

Neo: “*Wes! What the hell?! Things were just getting good!*”
:seviAAAAAAAAAAA:

"LEO! I'LL KILL YOU, BOY!"

A terrifying roar of rage sounded from behind the trio, and the trainer turned his head to see his least favorite person in the world: a massive, hulking man with no hair (though he made up for that with an impressive beard and eyebrows), charging straight toward them, his face red and contorted with unfathomable fury. Several others, clad in dark clothing like the rest, flanked him on either side.

Wes: “... I mean, we haven’t been shot at yet during all of this, so he’s probably not armed right now?”
:fearfullaugh~1:

Novo: “*... Neo, keep that Protect or whatever it is you know for a deflecting move ready.*” ._.;

Anger and bitter satisfaction alike swelled inside the trainer's chest. He faced his now-former boss with a growl.

"If you're going to threaten me," he said, "call me by my real name." He sneered. "It's Wes, by the way. In case you forgot."

Neo: “*... Wait, but I thought your name was ‘Leo’.*”
Novo: “*I thought it was ‘Seth’.*”
Wes: “Look, can you two not get into arguing about my bar aliases right now? Also, it’s a story for an Anglophone audience, so my name’s going to be ‘Wes’, alright?” >_>;
Novo: “*‘Seth’s technically an alternate default name in the English localization, so…*”
696809676133892176.png

Wes: “Novo. It’s ‘Wes’, okay?” >.<

The man roared again, this time too incensed to form any words. He barreled toward the trainer and his Pokémon with a murderous expression, but this wasn't Wes' main cause of concern: a flash of light emerged from a Pokéball at the man's belt and took the shape of a metallic bird. The Pokémon spread its wings, emitted a blood-curdling screech, and took to the sky.

It was time to go.

Neo: “*Eh, it’s just a Skarmory. All we’ve gotta do is zap or fry it and we’ll be in the clear!*” ^^;
Novo: “*Neo, do we even know any Fire or Electric-type moves?*”
635766721990361098.png

Neo: “...”
:uhhh:

The motorcycle engine started with a roar, and in one smooth motion, Wes swept astride the motorcycle. He raised his left arm high above his head, sunlight glinting off a strange metal contraption that encased it. Holding a small remote in his hand, he looked his boss dead in the eye, smirked, and pressed the button.

KA-BOOOM!

Neo: “*And this is why we’re doing this in the middle of the day. Try and tell me with a straight face that that wasn’t totally badass, Novo.*”
784725534470963221.png

The second explosion was, if possible, even more impressive than the first, and nearly knocked every bystander off their feet. The giant man's bellows of rage were drowned out by a monstrous roar as the motorcycle kicked into gear. Its rider slammed on the gas and he launched the bike forward, narrowly missing a dive-bomb from the enraged Skarmory, and soon the crowd of people were left in the dust.

Novo: “*Talk about your close shaves. I still say we could’ve done this at night while everyone was asleep.*”
:sweats:

Skarmory flew overhead, shrieking horribly as it gave chase. Wes shouted a command to his Pokémon, but he needn't have bothered—his Espeon had already charged up a Psybeam and fired it at his foe.

A metallic clang followed by another agonized screech told Wes that the Psybeam hit its mark. He glanced over his shoulder to see the bird tumbling out of the sky and down to the sands below.

I know that you made a note about how taking Skarmory down with a Psybeam is a bit of a meme and you didn’t want reviewers harping on it too hard, but honestly even with the poor type matchup, I think you’re like two or three sequences of added detail away from everything currently in this sequence making perfect sense since…

7ef.jpg

Wes is on his unholy abomination of a motorcycle and picking up speed. His winning condition isn’t necessarily to defeat Skarmory, it’s ultimately to stall it long enough to floor the accelerator and get too far away going too fast for Skarmory to catch up, even if it’s with a not terribly effective attack.

To that end, a well-placed Psybeam at the equivalent of a carpal joint, or in Skarmory’s case considering its anatomy, the base of one of its wings, would mess with its flight and make it lose balance/altitude. Same principle as a leg sweep, but for a flier. Do that while Skarmory’s flying low enough, like say… during the middle of an attempted dive to attack, and it’ll hit the ground before it can even out in the air.

By the time Skarmory rolls to a stop on the desert floor and gets reoriented assuming it’s still in fighting condition afterwards, Wes is likely far enough away and going fast enough that it can’t really do anything other than make salty, angry Skarmory noises and the equivalent of a fist shake as Wes rides off with his cats into the sunset.

Some food for thought if you have second thoughts about that Confuse Ray route you’re planning on dropping in in the future, anyways.

He laughed and let out a whoop of celebration, his companions joining in with triumphant cries, and the trio plowed through the desert until the base and its inhabitants were long out of sight.

Neo: “*Ha ha! Suck it, stupid bird-!*”
Novo: “*Neo, be professional. We’ve got another scene coming up.*” >_>;

The sun was sinking below the horizon and the temperatures had started to drop by the time their destination came into view: an old, rusty, seemingly abandoned train car. Near the door, a wooden sign swung lazily in the desert breeze. On its face, it read: OUTSKIRT STAND. The crusty thing had been converted into a diner, and though it wasn't much to look at, it was a place Wes was familiar with. Most importantly, it was a place where they would be safe for the night.

He hoped.

Translation: you won’t be safe there for the night if you have to ask yourself the question.

The motorcycle puttered to a halt as Wes pulled up to the establishment. Dim lights shone through the train car windows as old Western music hummed from an outdoor speaker. Wes stood and stretched his limbs—speeding through the desert for hours did his joints no favors—as his Pokémon followed suit, leaping nimbly from the vehicle and stretching their lithe bodies.

Novo: “*Hey, I’m feeling limber right now.*”
Wes: “Yeah, yeah, great for you. I wasn’t the one sitting in the sidecar that was roomy and comfy for my body.” >_>;

"All right, who's hungry?" He pushed his mirrored goggles off his face and into his sandy hair, revealing a pair of golden-colored eyes, and grinned at the two Eeveelutions. His Umbreon gave a yip of hearty affirmation. His Espeon, on the other hand, squinted at him, then sniffed airily and turned his head away from his trainer.

Wes: “I mean, we should probably be a bit more worried about Team Snagem tailing us, but… meh. We’ve got a decent enough head start on ‘em to kick back for a while.”
:joltyshrug~1:

"Spi."

Wes heaved a weary sigh. He crouched down in front of his Espeon to be eye level with him despite the fact that the Pokémon was pointedly avoiding his gaze. "Neo. Is this about me manhandling you back there?"

Neo: “*Gee, what do you think there, buster?*” >:|

The Pokémon, Neo, irritably flicked his tail in response.

Yeah, I figured.
:loltias:

Another sigh. "Look, I'm sorry. But there's a time and a place for gloating over a victory, and doing so while escaping from an exploding building is not it."

Neo: “*No, no, that’s exactly the time and place when you want to stop and gloat about your victories-*” >_>;
Novo: “*Neo, let Wes finish his point first before backtalking.*” -_-;

Neo flicked his ears back and looked at the ground, looking slightly abashed. "Esp." He then looked back up at his trainer with a small glare. "Espi-esp!"

"I know, I shouldn't have been so rough. I'm sorry, bud, really. How can I make it up to you?" Wes glanced at the Outskirt Stand, then back at his Pokémon with a sly grin. "How about I get you a whole plate of bacon and we call it even. Truce?"

Neo's eyes grew wide and he leaped to his feet. "Es-PI!" He waved his tail excitedly in the air, all injuries to his pride forgotten.

Neo’s blood cholesterol numbers must be stratospheric if he gets that sort of treat on anything approaching a regular basis. ^^;

"Bri!" There was a reproachful bark from the Umbreon.

Wes rolled his eyes, but was still grinning despite himself. "Fine, fine, bacon for everybody. Don't get used to it though, you hear? This is a one-time deal."

Novo’s too for that matter.

He wasn't sure if they heard the last line, as they were already bounding excitedly to the entrance of the train car. Wes snorted in exasperated amusement, then followed his companions into the warmth of the diner.

This is absolutely not going to be the last time those two get a plate full of bacon, I can tell. I’m pretty sure this wasn’t the first time that it’s happened either.

[ ] Muffled cries, the screams of Pokémon, a child sobbing quietly in a corner - images and sounds flickered and blurred together, one coming right after the other as if in a disorganized photo reel.

A flicker, and there was a dark room, in which a child was sobbing over the limp form of a Pokémon's body. He looked up, tear-stained face twisted with anger. "This is YOUR FAULT!" he screamed.

I know that you mentioned the lack of a transition going into this dream sequence is another meme criticism that you get, but honestly, I don’t think you need to add a whole lot to even things out. Something as quick and dirty as: “It was the same dream again…” as a standalone paragraph at the very start would already set the stage that we’ve exited real life and into someone’s memories.

The scene dissolved into darkness, and a man's husky, menacing voice spoke in a snarl. "It's time you learned this lesson, boy."

Another shift, another dark room littered with Pokémon lying ominously still, limbs splayed out in awkward angles—and there was another voice, a kinder voice, accompanied by a sad, tired smile.

"Do good, kid."

Well that got really ominous really fast. Wonder who figures 1 and 2 from this dream sequence were.

He sat bolt upright with a gasp, drenched in sweat and shivering. Breathing heavily, he glanced around the room. It took a moment to remember where he was: Outskirt Stand. The diner cellar. A night's stay in the musty place, where he and his Pokémon would be hidden from prying eyes.

Safe.

bender-laughing.gif

I do wonder if you should’ve hard-separated the end of the dream sequence from Wes snapping back to reality with a scene cut. Perhaps it’s just bias from me watching a ton of media handling the end of dreams with scene cuts, but the two feel different enough in setting in premise to consider something similar here.

"Dammit—" He buried his face in his trembling hands. Again, he thought shakily. Again. When in Arceus' name will they stop?

Never. That’s PTSD for you, Wes. Scars like those fade and can be managed, but they never fully go away.

He felt a gentle nudge at his arm, and raised his head to see his Umbreon looking up at him with wide, concerned eyes. "Umbri?" The markings on his coat glowed softly, gently illuminating the dark, dusty cellar.

Wes: “... Wait, how much of that did you see again, Novo?” ._.;

Wes forced a feeble smile and placed a hand on the sleek black head. "I'm okay, Novo. Just some more bad dreams, is all." Beside him, Neo stirred and stretched out his legs before relaxing back into sleep with a gentle purr.

Novo: “*Neo, are you serious right now?*” >:|
Neo: “*... Yes? Not everyone’s a creature of the night like you, Novo. Besides, I’m sure Wes will sleep things off.*” ^^;

Novo, unconvinced, bunted into his arm again with his head. He placed a paw on his trainer's lap, giving him a stern stare.

"I know it'll help, bud, but I've got to be able to sleep on my own sometime." Wes closed his eyes briefly. He was exhausted, and yet returning to sleep would undoubtedly mean more nightmares, more voices, more things he'd rather forget...he opened his eyes again and looked at his Umbreon. "All right...just one more night," he said wearily.

Narrator: “It will absolutely not be just one more night.”

Novo purred in response and brushed his face against Wes' shoulder. The two sat in silence for a moment, Novo leaning into him as Wes stroked the Umbreon's sleek black fur. He paused at Novo's left side, fingers brushing at old scars that he knew were still there, despite the fact that they were nearly invisible under the dark coat.

Novo: “*... Um, Wes? Can you stop that? Pretty sure that most people and Pokémon find it awkward as hell to have their scars poked and prodded at.*” ^^;
Wes: “Look, I’m trying to be reassuring here, and I frankly need this right now, Novo.” >_>;

More memories flashed through Wes' mind, and he couldn't suppress the shiver that followed. Novo, sensing his trainer's distress, chirped and brushed against him again. Wes sighed and finally laid back down in his sleeping bag, closing his eyes. His Umbreon touched his nose to his forehead and purred gently, using Hypnosis.

Oh yeah, that’s totally a healthy to get some sleep. Not that I can’t deny that it’s effective.

Just before drifting off to a dreamless sleep, Wes had one last coherent thought.

The sooner we leave this region, the better.

Careful what you wish for there, Wes. Though I suppose he gets his wish in the long run if you’re sticking with canon since… yeah, something had to happen with Wes and Rui for Michael to take center stage in XD with those two being nowhere to be seen.

And moving right along into Chapter 2, since that was honestly a pretty gripping Chapter 1, but a wee bit short for me to turn that in for Review Roulette in good conscience. In a separate post, since I'd like to keep more of the image embeds.

Spiteful Murkrow

Early Game Encounter
Chapter 2

Wes was awakened the following morning by the sound of footsteps and chatter from the diner overhead. He sat up, stretched, and was slowly gathering his bearings when a familiar smell wafted to his nose...

Bacon.

He groaned. "Aw, hell—"

"ESPI!"

Whelp, so much for that being the last plate of bacon Neo and Novo got. :V

He was pushed flat on his back as his Espeon leaped at him, eyes wide, tail wagging in excitement. "Espi! Epsi, espi, espi, espi, espi!"

"No
, Neo." Wes shoved the Pokémon off of him with a grumble. "I gave you and Novo plenty of bacon last night. One-time deal, remember?"

iu

Neo: “*Come on, Wes. It’s right there just above us. You know you want it too…*”
784725534470963221.png

At the sound of his name and "bacon" being used in the same sentence, the Umbreon lifted his head and yawned. "Umbri?" He pricked his ears forward and gave his trainer a hopeful look.

Novo: “*I heard there was bacon?*”
701473266472190013.png

Wes: “... Dammit, just how sensitive are your ears?” >.<
Novo: “*We’re modeled after cats in this story. You do the math, Wes.*”

"I said no, guys." He donned a teal trench coat that fell past his knees and began to pack up his belongings, pausing only to give them a stern look. "Last night was a special treat, but today we have to get on the road as quickly as possible, which means nothing fancy for breakfast. And that's final."

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Naturally, not ten minutes later, he found himself sitting across from his Pokémon in the diner, watching them each chow down a fresh plate of bacon.

Yeah, I thought so.
868180567500415046.png

Kinda wonder if it’d have been funnier with a hard scene cut as like a Giligan Cut moment.

Despite all his griping, he did relish the opportunity to spoil his partners. Bacon—or any decent food, for that matter—was hard to come by, and therefore was practically a delicacy. Under normal circumstances, he would have had to resort to swiping table scraps for all three of them, but thanks to the cash he'd snatched from the hideout, he could afford to dote on his Pokémon just a little. After yesterday, he figured they deserved it anyway.

Filing that one away for the future, though given that Orre canonically has nil for wild Pokémon populations… yeah, I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if it had nil for most other forms of wild flora and fauna, which kinda crimps food availability a bit.

The diner was just as shabby on the inside as it was outside. Still, there was a home[Bl[/B]y feel about the place, peeling wallpaper and rusty metal windows notwithstanding. The smells of various breakfast foods drifted through the air while the signature Western music played quietly in the background. On the wall across from where they sat was a flatscreen TV, arguably the most modern thing about the place. It was showing some old, obscure cartoon that nobody seemed to be watching.

I fired up the Bulbapedia page for Outskirt Stand and… huh, they really do have a shockingly swanky TV in that rust bucket canonically. Wonder who the proprietor had to kill to get that one.

Through the grimy window next to their booth, Wes could see two men laughing and talking amongst themselves, seemingly rejuvenated after a hearty meal. They continued laughing as they entered their vehicle—an old hover truck of some sort. Neo paused from his feast to watch them intently, his ears pricked forward, eyes trained on a large burlap sack that rested in the truck bed. His gaze remained steadfastly fixed on them, and he only returned his attention to his plate after they drove away and out of sight.

Ohai, Rui. Or at least I’m pretty sure that that’s Rui from what I remember of Colosseum.

Neo: “*Hey, Novo. Is it just me or do you hear muffled screaming right now?*”
Novo: “*Less talk, more bacon. Probably just a desert wind blowing over holes in the roof anyways.*”

Wes, meanwhile, had turned his attention elsewhere. He ate his breakfast quietly while discreetly scanning the occupants of the place. It was relatively empty, with only a middle-aged woman seated up front, dozing quietly in her booth, and a gruff-looking man stretched out at his own booth in the back, face obscured by his cowboy hat. The diner owner could be heard whistling from the kitchen behind the counter at the very front of the train car. No signs of immediate danger, it seemed. Still, he was anxious for them to be on their way.

This part is a bit ambiguous between Wes and the diner owner. You probably want to find some way of phrasing this to more explicitly point at Wes even if you don’t outright namedrop him.

"Here's the plan," he muttered quietly to his Pokémon. They both looked up at him from empty plates, licking the last remnants of bacon grease from their muzzles. "We'll head to Phenac to stock up on supplies, and head straight to Gateon from there. It'll take us a handful of days, but if we only stop for occasional breaks, we should make it in good time. And then, if all goes well, I can get a passport there and we'll be out of Orre. For good."

Oh yeah, that’s totally healthy for the cats there.

Neo: “*... And where are we supposed to go after this again?*”
Novo: “*I vote the regions south of here. Shouldn’t be too hard since I’m pretty sure the language they speak there show up in a decent chunk of the media here. All we need to do is pick names that fit the neighborhood… like Wes would probably make a decent ‘Carlo’-”
Wes: “Novo, you’re not allowed to make new suggestions for a while. (Seriously, lighten up on the localization jokes.)” >_>;

Those last two words felt like a breath of fresh air to him. They were so close now, he could almost taste it. Soon, very soon, they would be rid of this disease-ridden, Arceus-forsaken desert, and they would be free.

Okay, granted, I’m spoiled on where the underlined is going, but that’s definitely something different from most depictions of Orre in this fandom.

Novo: “*... ‘Disease-ridden’? Where’s that coming from again?*”
Neo: “*I mean, we are in an Arizona stand-in. Bubonic plague is just chilling around in the wildlife.*” ^^;
Novo: “*Neo, there is no meaningful wildlife here!*” >.<
Neo: “*Well, yeah. The disease-ridden part probably ‘helped’ on that front. Especially if it’s that ‘Night Death’ or whatever they call it that was dropping humans by the truckload in the past.*”

Neo chirped softly in agreement while his brother nodded, looking resolute. Wes couldn't help but smile softly and give them each a rub behind the ear. He'd never been much for people, but his partners more than made up for that. As far as he was concerned, there was no need for human company when his Pokémon were far and away better than any humans he'd bothered with.

Wes, I think you need some better friends. Or at least better human friends.

"We bring this breaking news to you live from Eclo Canyon—"

A female reporter's voice blared suddenly from the TV and interrupted his thoughts. He turned his head and felt his chest freeze: raw footage was being displayed on the screen, footage of a familiar metal building, now reduced to shambles and a pile of smoking debris. The diner owner poked his head from the kitchen and, upon seeing the report, grabbed a remote from the counter and cranked up the volume. The woman up front snorted awake at the noise, and soon everyone present was watching intently.

Wes:

Novo: “*... I wouldn’t be so sure about that, Wes. What if someone caught you on camera back there.*” .-.

"Reports of an explosion yesterday have led investigators and authorities to this building, which has now officially been confirmed as the home base for Team Snagem. The scene was already abandoned by the time authorities arrived, and no casualties have been confirmed. The cause of the explosion remains unknown.

"Team Snagem is infamous for its involvement in theft, property destruction, and Pokémon trafficking. Authorities have been unsuccessful in shutting down the organization..."

Wes: “Whelp, didn’t think that I’d ever be on the same side as the cops in life, but hey. First time for everything.”
679183508765147158.png

"Hah!"

Wes gave a start as the gruff man from the back barked out a laugh. "Serves 'em right, the rotten thieves! Shoulda blown the whole lot of 'em away!" He rose to his feet and stretched.

Neo:
3f2.jpeg

Wes: “(I am so glad that we’re not in a setting where people understand Pokémon on a regular basis.)” ^^;

"Aye, I'll level with ya there." The owner nodded approvingly as he spoke, and the woman up front gave a disdainful sniff.

"I don't understand how authorities haven't at least made some progress," she said. "Whoever bombed that shack has done more than they have in thirty years!"

Wow, a law enforcement agency that makes Kantoan police look competent and professional. I mean, I’m not that shocked since it’s Orre, but still.

Wes turned back to his plate and inhaled deeply, willing his heart to stop racing so fast. He glanced uneasily at the metal sleeve that covered his left arm from his shoulder to his wrist. The existence of Snag Machines—particularly this Snag Machine—was not public knowledge, and his identity was safe for now.

Novo: “*... Wes, why are you wearing that in public anyways instead of stashing it on your bike?*” .-.
Wes: “Because it’s Orre and I’d like to not have it stolen while my back’s turned? Where else am I supposed to keep it?” >_>;

At least, it should be...the bartender knew Wes as a regular, but not well enough to be suspicious. And, worst case scenario...Wes reached under his coat and brushed his fingers against the hilt of the knife he kept strapped to his belt. Well, "knife" was bit of a generous term for the thing—it was an old Skarmory feather that he'd strapped to a makeshift hilt. Not exactly the most conventional blade, but it had served its purpose on more than one occasion just fine.

Ah yes, nodding to Pokédex lore there where it’s explicitly mentioned that people once upon a time did this with Skarmory feathers. Nice touch.

The feather itself had come from none other than Gonzap's own Skarmory, and as much as Wes hated that bloodthirsty bird, he felt a strange sense of satisfaction at being able to weaponize part of something that had once terrorized him.

You probably want to give explicit mention somewhere that Gonzap is the leader of Team Snagem, or if you’re deliberately playing things close to your chest on that front, that he’s from Team Snagem. Since the name won’t mean anything to anyone who doesn’t know their Colosseum short of firing up Bulbapedia in a tab.

Yes...he, Neo and Novo had fought their way out of hell once, and they could fight their way out of this place if they needed to. Although, there was no need to resort to violence if it could be avoided. All he needed to do was get moving as quickly as possible—

"Howdy, stranger!" A hand clapped on his shoulder, and he found himself jumping again. Inwardly cursing, he turned his head to see the man from the back now standing beside him, grinning down at him. "Those are some mighty fine Pokémon ya got there!"

Whelp, so much for that brilliant plan.

Wes shrugged off the man's hand and eyed him darkly. "Can I help you?" He growled.

The man chuckled and removed his hat, revealing a surprisingly young-looking face and a head of pink hair—pink hair? He offered a hand to the younger trainer. "Name's Willie. Yours?"

He did not shake his hand. "Wes," he answered curtly.

Neo + Novo:
whywouldyoudothat.jpg

Wes: “Look, what was I supposed to say there?” >_>;
Novo: “*To give an alias like ‘Seth’ or ‘Thomas’ since we’re trying to leave this region?*” >.<
Neo: “*Or ‘Leo’, or ‘Carlo’, or ‘Sandro’...*”
Wes: “(Oi! I thought we agreed to knock it off with the localization gags!)” >:|
Novo: “*(I wasn’t making one! Mine are literally alternate canon names! Seriously, you had to have used an alias sometime in the past back on the old job!)*” >.<

Willie withdrew his hand, though he didn't seem to take any offense from Wes' rudeness. "Mighty fine name. You come to these parts often?"

What did this man want from him? "On occasion," Wes said curtly.

Neo: “*Wes. Seriously, stop talking to the dodgy stranger.*” >_>;

His terse responses must have given Willie a clue, as he stepped back and tipped his hat to him. "Well, pardon me for interruptin' your meal. Was a pleasure meetin' you." He then walked up to the front counter to pay for his meal, then exited the diner.

Wes let out a breath and slowly eased his hold on the knife. He hadn't even realized he'd been gripping it so tightly.

Wes: “Talk about dodging a bullet there.”
:sweats:

Novo: “*Would’ve been easier if you didn’t give out your actual name to the guy.*” >_>;
Neo: “*Relax, Novo. What are the odds we’ll ever see that guy again?*”
- Cue Wes facepalming -
Wes: “Aaaaaand you jinxed us.” >.<

He finished his meal quickly, his senses now on high alert after the newscast. It wouldn't do for them to stay here any longer.

He stepped into the bright sunlight after paying for his meal, then made straight for his motorcycle with Neo and Novo trotting happily on either side. He was halfway there when a shout stopped him in his tracks.

"Hey, stranger! Care for a battle before you go?"

Wes:
bdd.jpg

Neo: “*Oh come on, it’s not the end of the world to have a battle on the way out, right?*”
Novo: “*... Also, I’m not convinced that we’re going to have much of a choice in about five seconds.*” ^^;

Wes turned his head to see Willie leaning up against the diner, a cigarette in his hand and two Zigzagoon at his feet. The sunlight made his bright pink hair even more shocking to look at, and Wes quietly snorted to himself in disbelief. Pink hair. Unbelievable. Not that he had much of a right to mock strange hair color—his own was such a light, platinum blonde, it was often mistaken for silvery white. Still, at least he could blame genetics instead of poor decisions.

Huh, so I see that you didn’t go with anime hair colors for Wes. Filing that one away for the future.

Willie eyed the metal contraption on his arm, but if the stranger thought anything of it, he said nothing. After all, eccentric fashion choices weren't unusual in Orre. The man did, however, squint his eyes a little as he observed the tattoo on Wes' face; a thin white line that went across the bridge of his nose from one cheekbone to the other.

W
es was not unused to strange looks at his face, and while stares in general made him uneasy, he'd learned to shrug it off. Still, he sighed a little at the man's scrutinizing look. Speaking of bad decisions...but no, it was better this way. Tattoo or no, he would have been stared at anyway; his choices had been either a nasty scar or this tattoo to cover it up, and he'd chosen the latter.

… Wait, is that mark on Wes canonically the equivalent of a gang tattoo? Since from the stink-eye this Zigzagoon guy is giving him… .-.

Though I would recommend hacking that paragraph you have there into two, since it’s effectively two separate things thematically. Zigzagoon dude’s reaction to Wes, and Wes’ backstory about his appearance.

Wes looked back at the man and shook his head. "No. We have somewhere to be—"

"Aw, don't be like that! We can make it quick." Willie gestured to his Pokémon. "They could really use the training, see."

Wes: “If you don’t get out of my way in five seconds, I swear to gods…” >_>;
Neo: “*No, no. Let’s hear the man out for a moment, Wes.*”

Novo perked up his ears, and Neo flicked his tail, eyes gleaming with excitement. Wes supposed it had been a while since they'd had a chance to battle—properly, anyway. He figured battling while on the job for Snagem hadn't really counted, considering the main goal had been thievery and not victory.

de7.png

But—no. He couldn't afford to waste time, not with Snagem at his heels, and especially not after that broadcast. The clock was ticking.

"I said no," Wes said a little more forcefully. "We don't have time for a battle. Sorry."

Wow. Wes actually being rational and not giving into the cats here like he did with the bacon. Even if I’m pretty sure that his decision is going to be moot in short order.

Willie looked disappointed, but he merely shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, can't be helped, I s'pose. You in a hurry, then?"

"Yes." Wes hopped on his vehicle and turned to face the man as his Pokémon followed behind. He noticed Neo glancing back at the Zigzagoon over his shoulder and walking with a particular swagger, as if attempting to flaunt his superiority to his would-be foes.

Show-off.

Neo: “*Come on, Wes. You know you wanna…*”
Wes: “(Neo, no.)” >_>;

Novo remained calm and stoic as ever, faithfully watching his trainer for any commands as he settled next to his brother with a dignified air.

"Do you know the fastest route to Phenac from here?" Wes asked Willie.

Novo: “*... Did we seriously not steal a map or working GPS on our way out of blowing the Team Snagem base to kingdom come?*” .-.
Neo: “*I mean, we might have gotten spotted by snarling thugs not long after making our way into their cashbox and had to leg it in a hurry, so… maybe?*”
696809676133892176.png

"Phenac, eh? You gonna take on the Pre-Gym there? You certainly look tough enough." When Wes didn't reply, he shrugged and pointed the way. "Head that direction and you'll be there by early afternoon. It's mostly a straight shot."

Kiiiiinda wonder if this should’ve been more explicit such as pointing at some sort of landmark or explicitly mentioning some sort of cardinal direction, since it’s admittedly a little hard to visualize.

Wes nodded his thanks. He was about to start his motorcycle when a thought occurred to him, and he turned back to the other trainer. "Hey."

"Yeah?" Willie grinned at him again. Such open friendliness from a total stranger. He was far too naive for this place.

Wes, you do realize that the alternative scenario is that this is all an act to get your guard down, right?

"You should be more careful about who you challenge to battle. Your Pokémon are easy targets, and there are still plenty of Snaggers out there." He pulled his goggles over his eyes and gripped the handlebars tightly with gloved hands. "Don't pick fights you have no chance of winning." With that, the motorcycle roared to life and he drove off, leaving a bemused trainer in his wake.

Novo: “*Wes, why would you volunteer that?!*” >.<
Wes: “What, am I seriously not allowed to give helpful advice?”
:eltywtf:

Novo: “*Not like that! Thank goodness we’re never going to see that guy again after this…*” >_>;

Phenac City was often referred to as "the jewel of the desert", and it was easy to see why. Laid out in a circular pattern, with the tallest buildings at the northernmost top of the circle, the city gleamed with white stone and crystalline waterfalls flowing along the streets. The desert sun reflected off the sparkling water and white structures, making it blindingly bright to look at.

To Wes, it was a literal eyesore.

I mean, would you rather that it look like IRL!Phoenix where it’s a bunch of bland, soulless corporate boxes downtown and box stores and tract homes radiating for miles in each direction past it?
679183508765147158.png

Perhaps he simply wasn't used to such pristine buildings and clean streets. His life had consisted of dirt, sweat, and rust, and none of those things seemed to belong in such a perfect place as Phenac. Plus, there was an air of false grandeur about the place that repulsed him, particularly in the way its citizens liked to flaunt Pokémon as symbols of status. Snagem may have shipped stolen Pokémon around like merchandise, but in Wes' opinion, Phenac was hardly any better. He'd preferred to avoid it on his previous missions if he could help it, but today's errands made it a necessary destination.

Wow, I have negative sympathy for this place already. Congrats on priming the audience like that, since it sets the stage for this place to have some shady stuff go down.

We won't be here for long, Wes told himself as he and his partners walked to the city gate. Just head to the market, grab supplies, and get back on the road. In and out. Simple.

Preeeeeety sure you’re jinxing yourself in live-time, Wes. But you do you.

The desert winds billowed the tails of his blue trench coat behind him as he, Neo, and Novo approached the city gate. Neo swatted playfully at the swaying fabric before bounding ahead to be at the front of the group, where he usually preferred to be.

They had just stepped through the entrance and started their way to the center of town when Wes saw the Espeon stop dead in his tracks. He didn't think much of it and continued walking; random things caught Neo's attention all the time. He did stop, however, when he heard a soft, alarmed chirp behind him. "Spi!"

Wes: “Oh no, please tell me we didn’t pass a diner serving bacon again.”
:grohno~1:

Wes glanced over his shoulder to see his Espeon standing stiffly, fur on end. He was facing away from his trainer, ears forward, eyes focused on two men in the shadows near the city wall. They were hefting a large burlap sack between them, and were muttering under their breath, glancing about warily.

Oh, so it is Rui there.

Wes: “... Wait, is that the same burlap sack we saw back at the-?” .-.
Neo: “*Yes, that’s why I’m pointing it out, Wes.*” >_>;

"Neo?" Wes asked quietly. He approached his Pokémon and knelt beside him, Novo close behind. "What's wrong?"

"Espi." Neo looked at Wes with wide eyes, then back at the men in the shadows. "Esp!"

Neo: “*Also, I’m pretty sure there really is muffled screaming coming from that bag right now.*”

Wes observed the pair with narrowed eyes. He vaguely recognized the truck parked against the wall and remembered seeing it briefly at the Outskirt Stand. He gave Neo a questioning look. The Espeon continued to stare forward, body rigid, and growled softly.

Perhaps it was obvious, or maybe Wes' personal history had taught him the signs; either way, it was clear to him that these men were not up to anything wholesome, and everything about their demeanor screamed, "shady business."

Neo: “*... Novo, how are you just completely unbothered by this and not reacting right now?*”
:what:

Novo: “*Because we live in Orre and stuff like this happens every Tuesday for us?*”
:joltyshrug~1:

He got to his feet with a sigh and turned away. "Not our business, bud. We're here to get away from those kinds of people, remember?"

I mean I was joking about the ‘every Tuesday’ part, but yeah. I kinda figured that that’s where things were going here.

"Es-piiii!" He felt teeth tugging at the hem of his pants and saw Neo gripping the black fabric in his mouth, looking up at him with a pleading expression.

"What's the matter with you?" Wes asked irritably. Since when had his Espeon developed such a strong moral compass? "We can't stop every shady person in town. Leave that to authorities or something. Let's go."

Neo: “*Look Wes, I’m pretty sure that whoever’s in that bag is psychic or something like that. Point is, you don’t want to just leave them.*” >_>;
Wes: “... And how do you know this again?” .-.
Neo: “*One, we’re in a Colosseum novelization. Two, I’m Psychic, so I have a mind for these things.*”

"Bri, umbri." This time Novo chimed in, looking up at his trainer with urgency.

Neo: “*Oh, so now you react, Novo.*”

Novo: “*I mean, I just remembered that this is the part of the story where we’re supposed to get a partner for Wes, and with that burlap sack that just conveniently came back again after we briefly saw it at the diner…*”
696809676133892176.png

Wes: “... Is it healthy to violate the fourth wall that casually, Novo?” .-.

"Both of you, now?" Exasperated, Wes turned one last look at the suspicious men. They had set down the sack and now appeared to be quietly arguing with one another—but they weren't the ones who held his attention this time.

The burlap sack was moving.

Neo: “*Come on, Wes. You know you’re not going to live with yourself if you just leave whoever’s in there to suffer.*”
Novo: “*Also, I’m pretty sure we need whoever’s in there to advance the plot.*” ^^;

"Oh, for Arceus' sake." He ran a hand through his sandy hair and looked down at Neo and Novo. "What, they have a Pokémon or something?" Neo's tail lashed, and Novo flattened his ears against his head. He frowned at them. "Not a Pokémon? Then what...?"

Oh.

Wes: “I’m sorry, why do I care again when I very explicitly stated that I got along better with Pokémon than humans in this region?” >_>;

He looked at the sack again. Whatever—no, whoever—was in the sack was struggling fiercely, which prompted a bark and a kick from one of the men.

Wes: “...”
701085210766344223.png

Neo: “*Uh, yeah. This is why we should intervene, Wes.*”

Merciful Arceus, he thought. Kidnappers? In broad daylight? In Phenac City, no less? Even for Orre's standards, it was rather bold. He glanced back at his distressed Pokémon and sighed. They had come here for a pit stop, nothing more. They had a long road ahead, a city to get to, an unforgiving region to leave behind forever. He had absolutely no obligation to interfere in what was clearly a messy situation, especially considering they were in enough hot water as it was.

Let someone else handle it, he thought. Preferably someone who didn't have an entire gang of thugs out for their blood.

"Not our business," Wes said again, and turned away. "Let's go."

Neo + Novo:
IMG_2140.gif

Wes: “... You two are just going to hound me until I step in and do something, huh?” -_-;
Neo + Novo:
589897202890047522.png

He only made it two steps before Neo sprang in front of him, fur bristling, giving his trainer a hard, burning stare. Novo stood cautiously at Wes' side; Wes knew the Umbreon would go along with whatever plan his trainer thought best, especially if it was the safer route. Neo, however, seemed to have his own agenda at the moment.

"Move."

"Esp."

Novo: “*For the record, you do want the human in that sack, Wes. But… I admittedly would be open to regrouping and considering our options a bit before blindly charging into a 2v1.*” ^^;

The two glared each other down for a moment, Novo glancing between them. Wes had all but made up his mind to return Neo to his Pokéball when his brother stepped forward, cautiously moving between them, and looked intently into Wes' eyes.

That actually makes me wonder if Espeon and Umbreon in the games will railroad you like this if you try to ignore Rui and go on with your life, or if that’s something you cooked up as part of this novelization.

"Oh, for the love of—" Wes turned on his heel and made his way towards the old hover truck, swearing under his breath. "Fine." His every instinct screamed at him to walk away and to never think about those men again, and as much as he wanted to listen, he couldn't bring himself to say no to the pleading stares of his Pokémon. "This is the only time, got it? Don't make me pretend to be some hero."

Oh, so they really are doing the Puss in Boots face right now. Though this is absolutely not going to be the only time that you get roped into these heroics, Wes. Just like it absolutely won’t be the last time that you spike your cats’ cholesterol levels from letting them binge on bacon. :V

Neo and Novo chirped and strode eagerly at his heels.

Wes could hear their conversation as he approached. "Wha' do you mean, take a rest? We're almost there!"

"I'm tired, man. An' shouldn't we bunker down till nightfall anyhow? This lil scrap ain't making it easy for us, and I don't want to cause no scene." The second man glared down at the wriggling sack.

748926129339105330.png

I mean, I know that this is what happens canonically, but you have a sack wriggling about in an open space. This is literally the definition of causing a scene.

"I'll cause a scene!" The first man snarled. His eyes were shielded by his own pair of sunglasses, and some blonde hair could be seen poking out from under his dark beanie. "We're gonna cash in on this haul today, an' I don't care how tired you are! I ain't keeping this extra baggage longer than I have to!"

"Pipe down, Trudly!" his partner hissed. "We can't go around shoutin' our business, someone might hear us—"

"Someone like me, for instance?"

Folly: “... Too late.” >.<

The pair whipped around to find Wes standing a few yards away, arms folded, his companions at his side. The first man, Trudly, addressed him in a low growl.

"Listen, kid, I dunno what you heard, but you best keep to your own business if you know what's good for you."

Wes raised an eyebrow. "Very scary. Consider me intimidated."

And then the pair pulled out Glocks and casually mowed Wes down-

Neo: “*Those two were literally talking about getting a payday for a kidnapping. In public. Do you seriously expect us to believe that they’re competent enough to go around armed?*”
635766721990361098.png

Novo: “*Also, it’d kinda be a bad novelization for things to end in the second chapter, so…*”
701473266472190013.png

"Funny, I don't recall people being a common delivery item," Wes remarked. Both of the men paled. "Would your 'route' happen to include some sort of human trafficking ring?"

The sack wriggled again, and this time muffled shouts could be heard coming from inside. The second man swore vehemently and gave the bag another kick, producing a yelp from their captive. "Damn it all," he spat at Wes, "You just had to stick your nose where it don't belong! We'll make you sorry, boy!"

Wes: “You do realize that you were doing this in a public space of the biggest city in this region, right?”
:eltyunamused:

Trudly: “And you realize that you didn’t get the hint through your thick skull to leave. Now you’re gonna find out what happens when you don’t listen!
749495558963724339.png

He stepped forward and summoned his Pokémon in a flash of white light. Two Whismur hopped forward, tensed for battle. Despite their readiness to fight, it was hard to find the pink, rotund things menacing. Wes snorted. "Is that all you got?"

"You cocky little—" The trainer's lip curled, and he bellowed at his Whismur. "UPROAR!"

Oh well that wasn’t expected… and is almost certainly going to draw a ton of public attention from how loud that move is.

"Neo, Novo, charge up!" Wes barely had time to give the command before the opposing Pokémon launched their assault. The brothers responded immediately to the veiled phrase, having executed it hundreds of times before.

Neo's forehead jewel gleamed, and a silvery Protect shield formed around him, blocking the Whismurs' attacks completely. Novo, however, braced himself and took the hit - he tumbled backwards, then scrambled back to his feet and howled. Neo's fur bristled and his eyes gleamed as he gained strength from his brother's Helping Hand.

Huh. Clever party trick there. Though it makes sense that trainers would wind up coming up with shorthand names for certain combinations that they use frequently. Especially in contexts where they don’t want their foes to get wise to what they’re doing.

"Neo, Confusion! Novo, Bite!"

They lunged forward. The opposing trainer bellowed commands, and both Whismur hurled themselves at the empowered Espeon. Novo intercepted a Headbutt from one, staggered briefly, then returned a fierce Bite, fangs tearing into the pink Pokémon. The Whismur's battle cries turned to shrieks as the Umbreon flung his opponent and sent it rolling through the dirt. The second Whismur failed to reach Neo before it, too, was sent flying from his Confusion attack.

Folly: “C-Come on, you two! Get it together! You can’t let some kid with a pair of cats whip you like this!” O_O;
Wes: “You have no idea who I am, do you?”

"Switch!" Wes' voice sounded from behind.

In a synchronized motion, Neo and Novo gracefully moved across the white stones, each one targeting the others' former opponents. The Whismur struggled to their feet as their trainer called for another Uproar. The resulting attack screamed through the air, piercing their foes' ears, but it hardly mattered - the Espeon and Umbreon were already upon them. With a final Bite and Confusion, the Eeveelutions sent their foes tumbling backwards. The Whismur rolled to a stop at their trainer's feet, and this time they didn't get back up.

Folly: “...”
916590486356131850.png

Wes: “So. Do you feel lucky, punk?” >:|

"HAH?!" Trudly roared in fury at his partner, who stood frozen in shock. "Was that the best you could do against some scrap off the street? You're an embarrassment!"

Wes: “... Have you seriously just been standing here this whole time armchair refereeing instead of attempting to help your partner?” -_-;
Trudly: “Yes, and? That’s what happens canonically, so what’s it to ya?”

"You're no better," replied Wes dryly. Neo and Novo trotted triumphantly back to him, and he crouched down to rub their ears. Trudly spat a colorful insult at him in response.

"What do we do, Trudly?" The orange-haired man's eyes were wide with fear as he returned his Pokémon and addressed his partner. "M-maybe we should run—"

"Shut your trap, Folly! Don't throw around my name here! We can't have everybody knowin' who we are!"

"...but you just said my name!"

Wes: “I’m starting to understand how these two were dense enough to just openly lug around a kidnapping victim in a burlap sack in the middle of the biggest city of Orre.” -_-;

Trudly blanched. "Aw, hell—"

"What in Arceus' name is going on here?" A female voice drew everyone's attention. A middle-aged woman stood a cautious distance away, watching the scene with frightened eyes. A young man in jogging gear walked up beside her, frowning.

"I'd like to know that myself!" he said.

I warned you about that Uproar, bro.

Folly swore loudly and grabbed Trudly by the arm, hauling him towards the hover truck. "Time to bail, man!" He glowered at Wes, who returned his gaze nonchalantly. "I'll remember you, kid!"

Wes smirked. "Aw, how cute."

Wes: “... Wait, how are you even going to get away from here right now-?”
:what:

The men broke into a sprint and hopped into their truck. The young athlete yelled and started forward, but he only made it a few steps before the truck roared alive and hauled away, plowing recklessly to the city entrance. He turned to Wes in frustration. "We—we have to stop them!"

Wes shook his head. "They'll be long gone by the time we can give chase. No point in that."

I kinda wonder if there should’ve been more acknowledgement of the truck as a background detail in this entire scene. Also, I’m a little surprised that given how Neo basically took the initiative in teeing up this encounter in the first place, that he didn’t do something like unilaterally get off a Psybeam as a parting shot as the truck sped off or something like that.

Like I get that the truck is supposed to very rapidly get away from Wes and the onlookers since: A: this actually happens in Colosseum, B: trying to chase it around when he’s separated from his bike is futile, but unless the hovertruck roaring to life kicked up debris that made everyone flinch and shield their eyes or is the equivalent of loudly turning on a vacuum cleaner right next to Neo and Novo, that Wes basically just let Trudly and Folly get away here without a clear rationale. Even if it’s something as simple as “nope, don’t need to get in deeper with this”.

"Can you boys help me with this knot?" The woman had rushed to the sack and was frantically pulling at the rope tied around its mouth. The young man sprinted over to help, but Wes hesitated. He had half a mind to walk away right then and there—he'd done his duty, after all—but then decided, more out of curiosity than anything else, that he might as well stay to make sure the victim was all right.

I mean, it’s how it works if you’re looking to become a protagonist, but this is pretty much the exact opposite of what you want to do if you don’t want to get involved in other people’s problems… not that Neo and Novo would be likely to let you go anywhere fast. ^^;

The knot was, in fact, relentlessly tight. Even with two people working at it, it refused to give way. Wes brushed them aside and called for Novo, who stepped forward and gnawed at the rope. Within seconds, the rope was severed, and the woman swooped in to open the sack.

A girl burst out of the sack, gasping great gulps of air. Most of her red hair was pulled up into two pigtails, and the rest of it was drenched in sweat and plastered to her face. In fact, she was almost entirely drenched in sweat—not surprising, as Wes couldn't imagine how hot it must have been inside the stifling burlap.

487.jpg

I know that it’s game canon, but I couldn’t help but get in a giggle since Rui’s been lugged around like this in a stand-in of the Sonoran Desert, and… yeah, you would have problems after going through this sort of experience IRL at just about any time of the year.

"Oh, you poor dear!" The woman reached out and pulled the girl's blue and pink jacket from her shoulders in an attempt to cool her off. "Those monsters, how could they do this to you?"

The girl looked around, taking in her surroundings. She seemed incredibly disoriented. "Wh-where—?" She broke off in a coughing fit. The Phenac woman placed an arm around her shoulders and tutted with concern.

Wes: “... Also, I’m pretty sure that she’s exhibiting signs of heatstroke right now, but let’s not panic her about her condition at the moment.” ^^;

"You poor, poor thing—do either of you have water?" She asked Wes and the boy beside him.

Wes shook his head, but the athlete promptly answered, "I do!" He procured a water bottle from his pack, crouched beside them, and handed it over. The girl, still gasping for air, gave him a weak smile and took it from him. She opened it with shaky hands and raised it to her lips.

Wes: “Whelp, mission accomplished. Kidnapping victim’s still alive. Time to turn around, get our stuff, and-”
Neo:
826550123924029450.png

Novo:
635766721990361098.png

Wes: “Oh come on, what now, you two?” >.<

"You need to take small sips." Wes surprised himself by speaking. What did he care? Why had he bothered to stick around this long? Why hadn't he left already? "You're probably really dehydrated, so don't drink it all at once or you'll make yourself sick."

Because your cats would probably firmly veto you if you tried to leave? :V

The girl gave him a shaky nod and did as he advised, sipping carefully from the bottle. Her hands were trembling so badly that the woman beside her reached out and helped keep them steady. "To answer your question, you're in Phenac City, dear," she said kindly. "Would you mind telling us who you are? Perhaps there's someone we can call for you?"

The girl lowered the water bottle and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "My name is Rui," she said, her voice now steadying. "Rui Everlin." She looked between the woman and the boy beside her and smiled at them—a surprisingly genuine one, Wes thought, considering what she had just been through and how badly shaken she was. "Thank Celebi you were here to help me...I don't know how to repay you!"

‘Thank Celebi’, huh? So Rui’s from Agate Village? Or at least if my memory from osmosis serves me right, that’s where you run into Celebi in Colosseum.

Celebi? Wes frowned a little. He'd scarcely ever heard people swear by that name. He noticed the woman and the boy beside him exchange surprised looks, and wondered if they were thinking the same thing as him: She's not one of those crazy believers, is she?

Wow, rude.

The athlete simply shrugged. "Well, we didn't do much," he admitted as he turned back to the girl. He gestured to Wes. "He's the one who did all the work and chased those thugs off. It was real impressive, too, you should have seen it!" He gave Wes a look of shining admiration, which made him feel rather uncomfortable.

Wes: “(I’m… just going to not tell this guy that up until about 24 hours ago, I was actively stealing Pokémon from guys like him.)” ^^;

The girl named Rui looked up at him with shockingly bright blue eyes. She beamed at him with radiant gratitude. "Thank you—thank you so much! And you are?"

Wes paused. Giving out his name to perfect strangers was not on his list of things he wanted to do today—but then again, rescuing a kidnapping victim hadn't made it on that list, either. "Wes," he said shortly. He didn't offer his full name and was grateful when she didn't ask for one.

Novo: “*Wes, you’re doing it again...*” -_-;
Wes: “Look, Novo, we’re about to blow this region in like a day. I’m allowed to use my real name, alright?”
826550123924029450.png

"I'm Dash," said the young man. He and the woman helped the girl to her feet, and Wes couldn't help but note how short she was—her head barely reached his shoulders, if that. No wonder she got kidnapped. Easy target, I suppose.

Rui: “‘Easy target’?”
635766721990361098.png

Wes: “Well, are you going to prove me wrong, or…?”
679183508765147158.png

"And you can call me Marla, dear," said the lady kindly. "But enough about that—we need to get you taken care of. Who can we call for you? Perhaps we can help you get back to wherever you're from? Oh, we ought to get you to a hospital!"

Yes, that would be wise after you’ve been baking in the desert heat for half a day, honestly.

"No, no, I don't need a hospital, really!" Rui said. "If—if I can get to a Pokémon Center, I can—wait!" She stopped abruptly and her eyes widened as if she'd just remembered something. She turned to Wes with an urgent expression on her face. "Those men you battled—did they have an unusual Pokémon?"

Wes: “Lady, has anyone told you that you have some seriously skewed priorities in life?”

Rui: “Look, just answer the question! It’s important!” o_o;

Wes eyed her warily. Unusual Pokémon? Perhaps the heat had disoriented her? "No." He shook his head.

Dash frowned and nodded. "They looked like ordinary Whismur to me..."

"You didn't see a Makuhita?" She looked between the three of them. Wes shook his head again. "Oh..." the girl's face fell and she looked deeply troubled.

Wes: “... Were they supposed to have one, or…?”

"Oh, you don't have to worry about those—those—thugs any longer, dear," Marla fussed. "Let's get you taken to a Pokémon Center and—"

"No, wait!" The girl's face was urgent. "I need...I need to speak with the mayor!"

Wes: “Again. Skewed priorities.” >_>;

"The mayor?" asked Dash. He gave her a baffled look. "Why the mayor?"

"Those men grabbed me because I saw something," said Rui. "They had a Makuhita and there was something really...really wrong with it. I need to report this to the mayor so somebody knows about it!"

Wes: “And you’re not going to the police why?” -_-;
Rui: “Because Orrean police are jokes that make Kantoan cops look competent and professional?” >_>;
- Beat moment -
Wes: “Okay, fair point. Might be worth tracking down that mayor after all sometime when you’re not half-dead from heatstroke.” ^^;

Marla frowned at her. "I'm not sure what the mayor can do if those people have left town already..."

"They were heading here for something!" Rui said emphatically. Her eyes were wide and pleading. "I think they might come back, and I'm really worried about what they plan to do with that Pokémon!"

Mew above, she's sure passionate, thought Wes. She was awfully fired up and upset, all for a Pokémon she didn't even know. What is wrong with this girl?

I mean, she might be slightly delirious from heatstroke right now? Also she’s psychic and can tell if Pokémon have been shadowed, so picking up on their vibes might be hugely freaky for her.

"The Center is close to the mayor's house," offered Dash. "We can take you there after we take you to the mayor, I guess...?"

"Oh, would you? I don't know this city well, so that would be really helpful!" Rui beamed at the athlete.

Wes: “Look kid, can’t this wait sometime after you get medical attention-?” ._.;
Rui:
bdd.jpg

"But you ought to take this young man with you!" Marla gestured to Wes. "If those criminals are coming back, you ought to have someone with strong Pokémon."

Wes:
whywouldyoudothat.jpg

Marla: “I mean, why not? You’re clearly experienced at battling and you did find her, so…” ^^;

[ ]

"No," Wes said shortly. "I have places to be." He'd taken far too many detours today already.

I kinda wonder if this bit would’ve had more punch if you had Wes more visibly react to Marla volunteering his help with more of a start / “dude, no”-ness to it before he speaks up.

Marla gave him a pleading look. "Oh, but if those men come back for her...I don't have my own Pokémon, you see, or I would take her..."

Dash rubbed the back of his head. "W-well, I do have my Castform," he said. "He's not a battler, exactly, but...maybe..."

Wes: “(Seriously, what is wrong with trainers in this town and not having decent Pokémon with them-?)” >_>;
- Beat moment -
Wes: “(... Right, I might have had something to do with that in the past. Especially if Marla’s keeping her Pokémon at home to keep them from getting stolen right now.)”

They all looked at him hopefully. Even Neo was looking up at his trainer with pleading eyes. Traitor, thought Wes sourly. Do you want to get to Gateon or not?

Neo: “*Oh come on, Wes. How long does it take to walk a girl over to the mayor’s office here?*” -_-;
Wes: “You see, I was asking myself that about making sure she was alright, and now we’re getting into talking about running errands for her out of the goodness of our hearts. I’m pretty sure this is the point where we should cut our losses and run.” >_>;

A low, harsh, eerily familiar voice rang inside Wes' head. Sticking your neck out for people is what gets you killed, it snarled. Don't be a fool, boy.

Right. He didn't have time for this.

There’s quite a story behind that quote, I can already tell. .-.

But then he noticed Novo, practical though he was, shift uncomfortably and look up at him. Never once had his Pokémon led him astray. For all the survival instincts Wes' upbringing had drilled into him, he would always trust his Pokémon, his family, more than anything else.

Wes: “Et tu, Novo?” >_>;
Novo: “*Look, we literally need to hang around this girl for plot reasons, and it’s faster to just go to the mayor now instead of babysitting her at a Pokécenter for an evening beforehand.*”
826550123924029450.png

Wes was done in. He pinched the bridge of his nose and let out a long-suffering sigh. "Fine."

Neo chirrupped happily and Marla beamed at him approvingly. "You're such a kind gentleman!"

I'm definitely not.

Wes: “I’m pretty sure that this counts as some form of coercion right now-” >.<

"Oh, thank you, thank you so much!" Rui bounded up to him, and for one terrifying second he thought she might hug him. Don't touch me. He was immensely relieved that she didn't.

Well, Wes certainly has problems given that he’s apparently afraid of intimate contact with other humans. It’ll be interesting to see where that one is coming from.

"That's really generous of you, man," said Dash. He looked relieved. "Maybe we can all go together—"

"No." Arceus forbid Wes get saddled with more unnecessary distractions today. He quickly thought of an excuse. "You two should go to the Town Hall and report this incident. Make sure authorities know about what happened." Not that it will do much, he thought to himself. The only "authorities" in Phenac City were the staff at the Town Hall, and they could do little more than raise awareness and alert the citizens.

Dash nodded. "Alright, good plan."

- Blinks -
Oh right, in Colosseum, you go straight to the mayor’s house to meet him. Somehow I forgot about that in spite of Dash literally mentioning the mayor’s house in passing earlier this chapter. I kinda wonder if in-setting it ought to have made sense for Wes to have either found it strange that the mayor would be at his house during working hours, or if it’s common in-setting knowledge, some sort of “by the way” comment in the narration to remind the reader “... Right, Es Cade likes hanging around his house, so of course that’s the most logical place to start looking”, since that’s something that won’t be immediately obvious to readers that aren’t aware that that’s how it works in Colosseum.

He and Marla said their goodbyes. Dash left his water bottle with Rui, claiming she needed it more than he did and that he had plenty more where it came from. Rui thanked him and Marla generously for their help, and the two set off in the direction of Town Hall.

Rui turned to Wes with a bright smile. "I'll let you lead the way, then!"

Wes: “Lady, I literally just pulled into this town earlier today and made a repeated point of trying to avoid being here earlier in my life.”
:eltyunamused:

Rui: “.. Still more knowledgeable than me, so… yeah, kinda relying on your guidance here.” ^^;

Her bubbly demeanor absolutely baffled him. What kind of person could smile so easily after being kidnapped, for crying out loud? Wes shook his head slightly and sighed again—he'd been doing that an awful lot today, it seemed. "It's this way. Let's go." He didn't even wait for her to respond before setting off in the direction of the mayor's house, Neo and Novo trotting faithfully in tow.

It was already looking to be a long day.

Neo: “*Aww, you’re crushing on her…*”
784725534470963221.png

Wes: “(Neo. Shut. Up.)” >///<
Novo: “*No, no, I think he’s onto something there, Wes.*”
801819832751751179.png

Alright, and made it to the end, time for my overall thoughts:

Honestly, I can see what the hype about the story is about, since it takes the script of a lesser-known game from the franchise, and from just these first two chapters, it does a pretty good job at turning Orre into a place that feels living and breathing and makes you want to get to know more about it. Wes and the cats are by far the star of the show at this point of the story, and they have a lot of little character flourishes that give them a lot of pop, while feeling consistent with what we know Wes’ background canonically has to involve. There’s a few hints and passing mentions of things that go beyond established canon, but nothing thus far feels like it’d be out of place for what I know of the way that Orre was depicted in the actual games.

As for critiques, I don’t have too many beyond the ones that I explicitly outlined in my readthrough, a couple of which you’re already aware of and pending implemented fixes, and I honestly might’ve missed a few in Chapter 2 since I was too busy getting engrossed into things. The one significant structural critique that I have is that there are a few parts of this story that feel like they wouldn’t have as much impact on a reader without knowledge of Colosseum or else feel out of place. The bit involving Wes thinking about Gonzap and his Skarmory in passing and the bit about zeroing in on the Mayor’s house for where the gang wants to go to find him are both examples of that. Granted, that might have been done deliberately on your part as an author where you’re taking advantage of your source material’s relative obscurity to surprise the audience later, but if it wasn’t, you’ll want to make sure to be a bit more generous about tipping off the context of how things work in this region, since Orre is pretty different from mainline regions in a number of respects.

But altogether, I had a good time with this story @HelloYellow17 . I could absolutely see myself coming back to this story in the future, and from what I’ve seen, it lives up to the hype that I’d heard of it pretty well. Gud story, pls update.

Kudos, and hope that the feedback proves helpful to you in your writings.