• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

offense or defense?

just pick!

• offensive

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • defensive

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • both

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • none of these stats

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Which do you like better, offense or defense?

With an offensive Pokemon, at least you can hit your opponent instead of being just a punching bag. I've seen many people use their defensive Pokemon as punching bags and yeah. (I for one, never use the pokemon in my avatar as a punching bag. She's treated with respect)

Like lets take Latios and Latias. Latios, is pretty built himself and he's got awesome offenses. While Latias is fragile yet has better defenses but not as good offenses. I've seen many people use Latios more because he's offensive. At least he can hit while Latias is just a punching bag to most people.

But yeah I'm starting to think offense is better but what do you think?

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Hey, some Pokemon just got that ability 2 take hits!

Being a "punching bag" doesn't necessarily mean they've got no other uses other then soaking up damage like it seems like you're implying! Some phaze, pass status, heal status, stop sweeps, and even Baton Pass! Offense on the other hand just means that YOU'LL be the one dishing out damage instead. Setting up on a defensive Pokemon that has no means of retaliating would almost always, if played right, result in an unchecked sweep. Really, it all depends on preferences. The majority of sweepers tend to be pretty frail and generally can't take a few good hits on at least one side of the spectrum or are flawed in another pretty essential stat, whilst a lot of defensive Pokemon tend to be lacking in the offensive and speed category or are noticeably much more frail in one of their defenses. Each Pokemon has their own uses. Whether it be taking hits or dishing them.

Of course, this is all pretty basic stuff. -w-

I really don't prefer any over the other! It's all about whaz gotta be done on the team i'm working with. :0

Last edited:
both.
a team with pure offences is okay.
most pokemon with good attack has poor defences, they cant stay too long in battle.
a team with pure defences is abit better.
toxic and will-o-wisp works great.

as for both offence and wall in a team, it works perfectly.
offence may be able to sweep, defence can take hits.
actually, its base on what's your team strategies but i would go for both.

ViperQueen

RAWR!!!
I prefer both as well lol
Having a good offensive usually means that the defense is usually worse, so they can't take that much hits. Having a good defensive usually means you can take more hits but you'll take less hit from the enemies hit points. Therefore, i prefer both, it equals it out.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
I prefer to have a combination of both. Though I can't stand stallers.

DooblyDooHaxorus

Sometimes On.....
I've never really liked stat moves, so I always focus on attack :3

EDIT: sorry about the double post, my PC lagged :/

Specialbeamcanon

SUCH PERFECTION
I prefer both. Both of them has their ups and downs. And both would make a deadly combination if you use them better.

Last edited:

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
ATTACK! Though i like to use blissey because i still think she's awesome. I dont even use wish though, i just set up calm mind's and boltbeam everyone. In fact i made it so serene grace is my ability. My other two pokes in my 3 man-team have swords dance, so there's enough ATTACK! there. :D

Hey people, I was right. People do like offense better lol

Then you don't need to shove it down the throats of those who dislike it.

I honestly prefer offense, but some defense is good as well. One of my teams is a bulky offense team, and guess who I use on it out of Latias and Latios? Latias. Calm Mind Latias is a powerful offensive and defensive threat that can crush the opposition. So, I prefer Pokemon that can unleash powerful attacks, but can also take hits. That way, it's a win-win situation, am I right?

Universe Chaser

Trust me, I'm a cop.
Uh, you talk about how latias is defensive, yet she is 'frail?' Anyhow, if I had to choose one, it would be defensive, but everything relies on a balance. I can't tell you how many teams I've sweeped simply because they have no one to sponge up damage or force me to switch. I also can't tell you how many teams I've sweeped simply because they have no means of retaliation.

It all hangs in the balance.

Oh, and TrickScarf Latias is a total beast.

Striker X

Certified dumb user
I usually go something like Serene grace + Air slash Togekiss to weed out what my opponent has, then use the defensive or offensive pokemon necessary and just predict from there and on. So I guess both, but I prefer defense.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
"Offense is the best defense" they say ;D

Though, I've been trying out actual defensive strategies, I still like to kill things quickly and be done with it. (otherwise with long defensive battles, instead of causing the opponent to rip their hair out, I'm ripping mine out because it's moving sooooo slow)

Aquarelle

Staff member
I usually have both offensive and defensive Pokemon on my teams, but I like offense more because offensive Pokemon are way easier to level up.

BlazingCold

None. Heehee I like well-rounded speedy pokemon.

shengar

Silent reader
I vote for offense, since I'm more oriented to offensive play in whatever game I play.