• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

Marvs

Shinneeee!
My first shiny Pokemon, which was bred with a 1/8192 chance was Charmander, It's past through several of my games and is now a level 100 Charizard called Dynamite! (got the inspiration from a film called Black Dynamite)

Bleu

Shiny Catcher!
I nickname most if not all my pokemon, even duds I plan to trade. I once traded a Boldore called Crumbs on GTS and a Ralts named Runaway. Besides that, I have some realitively original names such as Bladevader for my prized Skarmory, Hikoze for my Froslass and Reivier for my Absol.

Emilia

Relapsing
I've always been quite fond of 'Bellerophon' for a Rapidash, and 'Lain' for a Teddiursa.

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
I nickname my main team, but that's about it.

As for the names I use, I tend to give them names that I made up, but sound like real names. One example is Rayze, which I actually tend to use for my trainer. Others include:

Naul
Maylan
Bolu

That sort of thing.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I nickname my team, depending on their cuteness they get a cute name, or or powerful names for legends.

Current exceptions:

DeathWave The Luvdisc
and CutiePie the Gyarados.

(Look, I was really tired when I finally got to that damn nickname rater!)

Sometimes I Nickname a Pokemon a different species name I made for them..

Cobalion-Athosteel (Athos+Steel)
Terrakion-Porthoston (Porthos+Stone)
Virizion-Aramiseed (Aramis+Seed)
Keldeo-D'Artaqua (D'Argatnan+Aqua)

These come from the Three Musketeers, and also something to do with the Pokemon's first type.

Reshiram-Yashiro (Yang+Shiro)
Zekrom-Yikuro (Yin+Kuro)
Kyurem-Wuhaiiro (Wuji+Haiiro)
W-Kyurem-Yanhaiiro (Yang+Haiiro)
B-Kyurem-Yinhaiiro (Yin+Haiiro)

From Yin, Yang and Wuji, what these to are based off of, and Japanese for White, Black and Grey! I think you can guess which one. B-Kyurem's is just a straight up combo of the words, but it goes with Yanhaiiro (W-Kyurem) so I'm not bothered.

Victini-Nikoal (Nike+Coal, corruption of Nichole. Yes I think Victini is a girl :D)

Nicknames are a fun way of expressing your personality!

Last edited:

Räven Velish

black lives matter
Well, I usually nickname them the first thing that comes to mind. But my starter, if its a Water Type, is always named Neptune, and the first Dark type I catch is always Pluto. I did a run on Black 2 naming my main Pokemon after planets/roman gods.
Umbreon(Pluto)
Samurott(Neptune)
Gardevoir(Venus)
Simisage(Saturn)
Crobat(Mercury)
Ampharos(Jupiter)
Arcanine(Mars)

GloomyHaruka

They/them
Meh, I don't nickname mine.xD But I used to sometimes! Urgh, I remember I'd look up some names in Japanese or sometimes in Native and look up their definitions and stuff.xD I wanted to give them names that'd suit them of course!
But now, I just don't do it much any more.xD LOL.
But the some I find online sometimes, HOLY-
BWAHAHAHAHA. THEY'RE THE BEST!

@Räven Ohhh wow, I actually really like those names A LOT! o:

WhiteSand

Cant handle my swag.
I used to never nickname my pokemon but now, I nickname all of my pokemon :)

Some nicknames I've given are Elvis(Roggenrola) and Lacoste(Sandile)

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
I always nickname my Pokemon, it gives them more of a personality IMO. I just usually give them a name that I happen to think on the spot, unless I already have a nickname in mind.

KVK6325

Almost Done
I didnt used to but then when I got to black/white i started doing it. I named my Snivy- Snip. Idk why it just felt right. Or like I have nicknamed my kanto starters after the characters in the first movies starters. So like venasaur- Bruteroot and so on. It is just fun

Cyrius

Ice-Cold Charisma
I nickname about 90% of my pokemon, i only dont nickname them if i think the original name sounds cool

Volcarona - Sunburst
Shiny Reuniclus - Aqua
Mamoswine - Permafrost
Jolteon - Voltoris
Shiny Weavile - Pink Lime