• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

In my run of White 2, I nicknamed a few of my Pokemon after superheroes/villians:
Arcanine - The Flash ('cause ExtremeSpeed)
Magnezone - Magneto (kind of duh)
Emolga - Batman ('cause he glides around)
Lucario - Nightwing ('cause they have similar color schemes)

In X and Y I also have some interesting ones:
Florges - Your Doom (because it has destroyed more things than most of my Pokes and saved my butt in the Battle Maison more than I can count)
Nidoqueen - Mirajane (for those of you who watch Fairy Tail, this one goes out to good ol' Marijane, who is much stronger than she appears)
Rufflet - BeefCake (made a team on Showdown with friends and we named our Braviary BeefCake)
Zoroark - Lol (because t can be priceless to see the expression to see someone who used Psychic on you Zoroark disguised as a Nidoqueen, Crobat, etc.)
Squirtle - Agent (because he looks kind of like a secret agent with them Blackglasses)

Oh, and I got a Sneasel named Sergio from Wonder Trade...

gamer2332

Explorer of the Sky
It's a gag that I always name a Pikachu "Hamtaro". Why? Because I can!
I also had a Chimchar named Aiai, because Super Monkey Ball, and Bidoof CleverName, Because I couldn't think of anything!

Archsage

Shiny Hunting!
I've decided I'll actually plan my OR team for once, so I've been working on nicknames for them. Still don't have one for Sceptile, but when I get home I'll be picking up two members of my team– Swablu and Misdreavus.

Swablu is named Altostratus, which is the name for a group of clouds that are in the middle layer of the sky. Where I live, I see a lot of large poofy clouds in that zone, so I thought that would be nice, and it sounds pretty neat.
I almost named Misdreavus Hecate, after the Greek goddess of magic, but then I decided it was too easy and chose Kikimora instead, which is a malevolent household spirit in folklore. It does little annoying things like whistling at night, knocking over plates, and spoiling food, which I thought fit the mischievous nature of Misdreavus.

Pika Pika333

Impulsive Trainer
I've decided I'll actually plan my OR team for once, so I've been working on nicknames for them. Still don't have one for Sceptile, but when I get home I'll be picking up two members of my team– Swablu and Misdreavus.

Swablu is named Altostratus, which is the name for a group of clouds that are in the middle layer of the sky. Where I live, I see a lot of large poofy clouds in that zone, so I thought that would be nice, and it sounds pretty neat.
I almost named Misdreavus Hecate, after the Greek goddess of magic, but then I decided it was too easy and chose Kikimora instead, which is a malevolent household spirit in folklore. It does little annoying things like whistling at night, knocking over plates, and spoiling food, which I thought fit the mischievous nature of Misdreavus.

I would go with Eviscerator, because of Sceptile's sharp leaves, and 'cause it sounds straight up cool. I'd use it, but my nicknames are either goofy or are a reference to something. A serious, cool sounding nickname would stand out.

PokeLys

Since Red version'98
^If it can inspire you, the Treecko line is based on a giant leaf-tail gecko, or Uroplatus. I tried many variations of this name during the R/S years but none ever seemed to really fit. My XY Sceptile is now called Sceptik, just 'cause of similar beginning!

I also recently came up with a magnificent Raichu named Machu: I know the pun almost went away with the evolution, but can we take a moment to admire the fact that he used to be Machu the Pichu? (I know I know, stop throwing stones at me)

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
these are really awesome names guys! especially genesis the mewtwo and clevername the boddof XD

9i usually give my pokemon arabic names,

i named my vanillite for oras Burayd which means "cool, intelligent" and my minfoo Zayne which means handome or graceful ^^

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
A few of the nicknames for some of the Pokemon in my ORAS teams:

Maylene the Mudkip: Named after the Gym Leader with the same name. I originally intended to nickname it after Magnus from Kid Icarus: Uprising but the Mudkip I picked ended up been female.
Rosalina the Ralts: Named after the Mario character, I find it fitting as Gardevoir somewhat resembles Rosalina.
Phosphora the Electrike: Named after the Kid Icarus: Uprising character, her ability to control lightning and been able to move at incredible speeds seems to suit Electrike/Manectric very well.
Lucina the Skarmory: Named after the Fire Emblem character. I wanted to name it after a Golden Sun character but I feel the frail nature of the Wind Adepts would be ill-suited for a Skarmory. Sveta is the exception, but her wolf-like appearance would not suit a bird-like Pokemon.
Link the Treecko: Named after one of the main characters from The Legend of Zelda series, as a nod towards his green colour scheme and his incarnation from Ocarina of Time being raised in the Kokiri Forest.

Last edited:

Pika Pika333

Impulsive Trainer
I can usually come up with my own nicknames, but I can't think of a good name for my Shiny Carvanha, he's the first shiny that I caught that wasn't pre-programed to be Shiny, and I think he deserves a better name than "Nibbles".

Raxacoricofallapatorius

Exalted Meme Junkie
My current ORAS team is nicknamed as such:

Concorde (Skarmory ♀): According to Skarmory's Dex entry, its cruising flight speed is ~180 mph (~290 km/h). It doesn't break the sound barrier (like the ill-fated Concorde jet was able to do), but it's still fairly quick.
Storm (Manectric ♀): Incredibly generic, but I really like the X-Men. So... yeah.
Bukowski (Ludicolo ♂): I... I don't even know. It was 3 AMish, I was hanging out with friends in my dorm, and it just looked like a Bukowski to me.
Sir Toasty (Blaziken ♂): In honor of the first nickname I bestowed my starter when I first picked up R/S/E.
Fly-Gon Jinn (Flygon ♂): Because I could.
Vaermina (Gardevoir ♀): I'm a massive Elder Scrolls fan. It had to be done.

MrConfusedTurkey

I have never liked naming my Pokémon before, but when I caught a Skitty with the intentions of using her for Pokémon Contest Spectaculars, I named her after a friend of mine with whom I no longer talk to like we used to, since Skitty happens to be her favorite Pokémon. Now I feel like I will be nicknaming all of the Contest Pokémon I train up. Gogo Contest Skitty "Abby"!

Superteletubbies64

MAHINA-PEEEAAA!!!
there are only 2 pokemon I have ever nicknamed I think. a golduck donald duck and a talonflame angry bird. I sometimes do nickname some random pokemon for wonder trade piggy just beacuse I like it

Superteletubbies64

MAHINA-PEEEAAA!!!
Need help nicknamin'(hagrid style, haha) me' competitive pokemon

Sylveon
Aegislash (have my Ingame one named Sanglamore)
Honchkrow
Gardevoir
Cloyster
Porygon-2
Slowbro
Rotom-W
Rotom-H
Rotom-M (i won't call it C)
Alakazam
Gengar
Mawile
Kangaskhan
Greninja

gengar: clefable. if you have a clefable, name it gengar

Athrun

The Innovator
If i remember correctly:
- I once named my Staraptor Wjnd, because i accidentally clicked j instead of i.

Superteletubbies64

MAHINA-PEEEAAA!!!
If i remember correctly:
- I once named my Staraptor Wjnd, because i accidentally clicked j instead of i.

it can be worse... I once caught a pikachu in x I didn't want to nickname it but when I was asked to I accidentially klicked yes and when I wanted to click OK, I accidentially klicked E and then OK... my pikachu was stuck with the nickname E till I reached the name rater in camphrier town

Search_Ops_TeamD

ShaggySmurf
I started to nickname only about a year ago with Diamond. But I recently decided to nickname everyone on my Crystal version.
I don't nickname them right away, I usually think of a nickname for a pokemon later and then go back and nickname it.
My current team on Crystal version:
-Spawn (Unmbreon): Spawn comes from the comic book character. Dark character, dark pokemon....
-Lilium (Meganium): Lilium is the genus classification that lilies and other flowers belong to.
-Pyros (Typhlosion): Pyro from the pyroclastic material from a volcano.
-K. Rool (Feraligart): K. Rool is the leader of the Kremlings in the Donkey Kong series. They look alike...
-Shendu (Gyarados): Shendu is the dragon demon sorcerer from Jackie Chan Adventures
-Aquiles (Pidgeot): Aquiles is a combination of Achilles (Greek warrior) and Aquila (Latin for eagle)

Pink Harzard

So majestic
My transferred Salamence from Sapphire who is now in Kalos, is named La 'Menca. I just wanted to sound it French. Sometimes I follow a theme, but often I just take a name that sounds nice.

My AS favorites are also nicknamed:

Sceptile-Aztec. I was thinking about acient tribes when I got this one.
Linoone-Tanuki. A tanuki is a mythical racoon/dog creature from the Japanese folkore.
Gardevoir-Sofia. It is actually the capital of a city, but I think it sounds nice and gracefull.
Azumarill-Anna. My HM slave for water travel and a name that is maybe basic, but still nice.
Swellow-Decibel. He has the Egg Move Boomburst so that explains enough.
Glalie-FrostFang. The mouth is huge during Mega Evolution. (If I had Mega Steelix too, it would be TitaniumTail)

I'm thinking about a nickname for a Greninja but I lack inspiration for it. (No Naruto references please, because the ninja's from the village of the mist have a different fighting style then Greninja)

V

Shiny Hunter
Having trouble thinking of a good male shiny Sceptile name. Any suggestions?
I like to name my starters after items related to their typing or status afflictions (ex. Burn or Poison the Typhlosion and Meganium or Charcoal the Charizard), but I couldn't find any items I liked for a male Sceptile.

I was thinking Thorn for a male, Meadow or Miracle (meadow plate or miracle seed items) for a female.

Also, the name Dwemer for my shiny Metagross. (It looks a bit like a Dwarven Spider to me)

Last edited: