• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

hannahpiper98

I nickname almost all of my Pokemon. My Charizard is named Charlie (for obvious reasons). My Mienfoo is Jack (after Jack Black, since Mienfoo is a fighting type). My Onix is named Monty (Monty Python). Blastoise is named Josh, after Josh Hutcherson, who IMO slightly resembles Squirtle. Pyroar is named Nala after the Lion King character. Vespiqueen is named Amber after the color. Klefki is named Flint for obvious reasons.

Creyk

Usually I name only the ones I use but there are a few that I make exceptions for and name them anyway. I never use legendaries but they all get appropriate names. Other than that there are the standard pokes:

Narcissus - Shiny Milotic, male. How dare it be so beautiful.

That is such a great idea! :D
I wish I could give a nickname to my Shiny Milotic, but I got it in trade so no no

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I named my Shiny (male) Milotic, Patroklos. I don't know why, but I just feel like it fits.

AmericanPi

Write on
I named my Shiny (male) Milotic, Patroklos. I don't know why, but I just feel like it fits.

Does the name mean anything?

I always nickname my Pokemon, even the ones I use on Pokemon Showdown. I always end up getting emotionally attached to them. :p

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
I just realized that there are several other nicknames that I'm quite proud of having given my Pokemon. I can't remember all of them at the top of my head, but here are a few more:

Pyroar-F: Fahari. I remembered that in the Lion King, all of the characters have Swahili names, so I decided to look up a Swahili name that would best fit my Pyroar-F. It means "magnificent", going with how fabulous its flame streak looks. Plus, I didn't wanna go with something as generic as Nala.
Murkrow-M: Uchoyo. It's along the same lines as Fahari and it's also Swahili. It means "greed", which kind of fits with Murkrow's tendency to steal.
Pikachu-M and Pikachu-F: Conker and Berri. I just had to name them after that couple in Conker's Bad Fur Day.
Marowak-F: Helena. After Helena Handbasket from Rayman Origins.
Gyarados-M: Lagiacrus. After the giant sea serpent monster from the Monster Hunter series. Sure, he electrocutes, but it's quite fitting when you get into the story.
Sylveon-F: Leia. When Sylveon was first announced without its type, I assumed that it was gonna be a Flying type, and that it was gonna be some kind of skywalker type of creature, kind of like Skymin. So I named her after Princess Leia.
Umbreon-F: Juliet. Named after one of Uranus' many moons.
Feraligatr (x2): Pharrell and Paul. The first one is a play on Pharrell sort of sounding like a corrupt "Feral", and Paul is a play on Paul Mall, because crocodiles/alligators maul things.
Sawsbuck-F: Cherie. It does mean "dear" in French, going by Deerling's name.
Simisage, Simisear, and Simipour: Otto, Sparx, and Gibson respectively. After those monkeys in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go (god, I hate how long that title is...)
Skarmory: Bladewing. There's this old, old game on FB that's a rip-off Pokemon game, but with more animal-like creatures called Monster Galaxy. There was this eagle creature with steel feathers called a Bladewing, who was my ace in my team of 3 (not to mention an event capture, as well...), and so now my Skarmory pays homage to that bird.
Typhlosion-F: Pepper. A perfectly fitting name for a female Fire type, as she's flaming hot like a chili pepper (lol...)
Machamp: Randy. After Randy Savage, aka the Macho Man.
Jolteon: Pin. Because he's a little pincushion.
Jumpluff-M: Reyi. Play on the Spanish word "reilete", which means pinwheel.
Entei, Raikou, and Suicune: The Fury, Volgin, and The Sorrow respectively. They're all named after bosses in MGS 3: Snake Eater. The Fury is an arsonist who uses a flamethrower to fill the room with fire and attack you. Volgin is the main villain of the game and uses electricity to sadistically attack you, and The Sorrow is a ghost that appears to you in a river and attacks you with haunting flashbacks.

Last edited:

Koumashiki

ポケモントレーナーになる?
I only name the pokemon that I'll put in my team (unfortunately many of them were from trade so not all have nicknames)
To be honest I'm really bad at nicknaming and my pokemon's name usually end up being simple/stupid. Yeah you can laugh at the nicknames down here.

Blueberry (Swampert M) - Named him like this since Ruby, and I guess for nostalgia's sake I still choose it in AS. To be honest I can't even remember how I ended up with the name.
Irisviel (Gardevoir M) - One of the only 2 names that I'm really proud of. It popped up in my head when I tried to think of a name for Ralts, since I wanted to evolve him into Gardevoir, I wanted a beautiful name. And yes it's a male Gardevoir, I caught it intentionally.
Can't Unsee (Exploud F) - Now you see how stupid the nickname I give my pokemon can be. It was from Smosh's honest trailer btw. Well I really couldn't think of any other nicknames for it but Amplifier (which is also stupid). And because of this name that a friend of mine has forgotten the name of Exploud family and often calls the any pokemon of the line Can't Unsee lol, she said it was too easy to get stuck in mind.
Saiyan (Manectric M) - Since Ruby. I mean, look at Manectric
Fluff-puff (Altaria F) - Because she's a fluffy cotton ball.
Majinbuu (Hariyama F) - The name is also carried from Ruby. That was my first impression of Makuhita "wow that pokemon kinda look like Buu except it's yellow not pink"
Kitkat (Skitty M) - Ok it's because I like Kitkat.
Charité (Milotic F) - The other name that I'm proud of. Though it's meaning doesn't relate anything to Milotic's theme but I still think the word is nice.
Steven (Metagross) - Now you know I'm obsessed with Steven Stone.
Sirknight (Gallade) - I just think the name better fit Gallade than Gardevoir.

Never nickname legendaries . Also, the list only have pokemon from AS, as I have forgotten most of the names I gave pokemon in Ruby.

SpoinkyPearl

Some new nicknames just to share these with you

Desdemona, female Houndoom in my team in Diamond - includes the word "Demon" and suits Houndoom so well. Desdemona is also Othello's wife in Shakespeare's play Othello
Leafa, Leafeon in many games of mine - Name comes from a character Leafa in SAO. Suits Leafeon so well
Altair, Altaria in my team in AS - Altair is a name of a star, and it (as far as I know) means "eagle" in Arabic. Rather an obvious choice
Rubert, male Espeon in my Diamond - Mix of word ruby and name Rupert. Espeon does have a ruby-like gem in his forehead
Ryuji and Suika, male and female Horsea in my Diamond - I haven't yet decided which one I'm going to pick in my new team. but anyway. Ryu means dragon in Japanese, and Suika includes Japanese word sui, which means water.
Vladislav, shiny Ponyta in my Pt - This is quite a play with words 8D You probably know Madonna's song La Isla Bonita? It sounds when spelled a little like Vladislav Ponyta, right? :D
Mulder, Fennekin in my X - I once saw one Fennekin in GTS or somewhere which was named Mulder, after Fox Mulder and I thought it was such a great idea :'D
Megacross, my Beldums in Diamond and AS - Because they'll evolve into Metagross, which has a giant cross in its face. And it has mega evolution in the 6th Gen as well

Some pretty names (at least in my opinion) with not that much to explain... Aurore (Milotic), Yuuki (Gardevoir, means courage in Japanese), Solana (Volcarona), Tenko (female Shiftry), Kitsune (Ninetales, means fox in Japanese), Sirocco (Flygon, it's a some kind of wind type), Callisto (Starmie), Yukiko (Froslass, Yuki is for snow in Japanese).

I also have habit of naming almost all my Ponyta and Rapidash after someone from My Little Pony Friendship is Magic - even though I haven't even yet watched the series :D I have Ponytas Rarity and Applejack, and I think I also had one named Fluttershy? I also usually name my female Electrickes after Elesa from BW.

i never name my pokemon but i have some ideas for some poisonfists=toxicroak sorry some of this stinks totem=sigillyph floatz=floatzel and thats it ill share some later

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I don't usually nickname my Pokemon but Yuki (or ゆき (Yuki) if you play in Japanese) is particularly good nickname for Ice-type Pokemon such as Froslass. Yuki means 'snow' in Japanese.

Last edited:

SkyTheAbsol

Dark-Type Fanatic
I tend to have a bad habit of wanting to nickname ALL of my pokemon, but there are some days where that's more difficult than it should be...

You see, sometimes I can come up with cool names. Tiamat the Milotic. Salem the Liepard. Gizmo the Sableye. Stuff like that.
And then other times, my brain quits - and I end up with a Furfrou named Doge, a Ferrothorn named Nigel, and a Salamence named Trogdor (in my defense, it's a special Megamence with Fire Blast). .-.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I also came up with Fluff Ball for Swablu/Altaria and once nicknamed a Quilladin Quill Achin' (now's he evolved into Chesnaught and changed back after it evolved).

zarkhaiz

++ Battle Master ++
My Glaceon is called Graceon, so GRACEFUL ^O^

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
Anyone have an ideas for names for my snorunt?

Don't know if this is still up but:

REFERENCE
Male: Frost (RotG) / Jon Snorunt (GoT)
Female: Elsa (Frozen)

PUN
Male: Hornice / Hailee
Female: Ayci

RANDOM
Male: Iceco / Ice Inc. / Snocone
Female: Kimonosnocone

Ketaru

Getting ready to train a set of four Pokemon, two of which may end up on my team:

Piplup- My new shiny Piplup. In the past, I've named my shinies based on television shows I was watching while breeding for shinies. For example, I named my Umbreon "Firefly," after the show Firefly. And I named my Flygon "Serenity," because I was watching the first season of the original Sailor Moon at the time. Since I have just finished rewatching the Lord of the Rings trilogy, it's very tempting to simply reference Aragorn somehow, especially given Empoleon's regal theme. That seems a little too easy. So I went for "Anduril," the name of his sword.

Joltik- Lady 4Jane, referencing the character Lady 3Jane in the book, Neuromacer. Felt the electric typing could go with the cyberpunk theme. Was originally going to name her Sherov. Kind of an alternate romanization of "Shelob," the giant spider from Lord of the Rings. The idea came from an enemy in Final Fantasy XI, Glavoid. Glavoid's name is essentially an alternate romanization of "Graboid." However, after naming Piplup "Anduril," I couldn't use two Lord of the Rings names.

Hoothoot- If I wanted to do this in poor taste, I would nickname him Tallywackers, even though that's essentially slang for "penis." The idea came about from the male version of the Hooters restaurant that opened in Texas recently (of all places!). And since this Hoothoot is a male, it would certainly fit. But I'm not going to do this in poor taste, so I named it "Yith," after the Lovecraftian race that time travels via mind projection. I figured the theme would fit, since the name "Noctowl" explicitly references the night and, in a way, horror. But also because of Hoothoot's clock theme.

Hoppip- Van Adiel, slight rearrangement of "Vana'diel," the fictional world of Final Fantasy XI. I wanted to name it Rainemard, after a Red Mage quest NPC in said game. But the filter wouldn't allow me to, for some reason.

...so the word filter won't let me name my Hoppip "Rainemard," for reasons I can't discern. But if I wanted to, I could name a Hoothoot "Tallywackers," slang for genitalia. Ok, got it...

Last edited:

DarkraiMiestro

something or other
Anyone got a good nickname for a shiny Latios? I'm hunting one at the moment and was thinking of nicknaming it Rhaegal after Daenerys' green dragon in Game of Thrones. Opinions?