• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Anyone got a good nickname for a shiny Latios? I'm hunting one at the moment and was thinking of nicknaming it Rhaegal after Daenerys' green dragon in Game of Thrones. Opinions?
I have a set of shiny Lati@s, and I named the Latios Awa, and the Latias Ava.

I named my "partner" (the one Pokemon I would theoretically take to every region, leaving behind everyone else) Jaune, French for Yellow, which was my very first Pokemon version.

DarkraiMiestro

something or other
Thanks, but it's not really what I'm looking for.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Just a funny nick i came up with in my platinum nuzzlocke randomizer (which i'm playing alongside dookieshed's rocketlocke) for a golem i found. Due to the 10 letter limit i can't put the entire text but since he's a spherical rock i named it DeyCmrolin... they hattin, patrollin to try to catch me riddin dirty.

DarkraiMiestro

something or other
Yeah I wasn't expecting you to like those names; I just like giving themed names to duos or monsters of the same theme.

They're good, it's just that I already got Latias and it isn't shiny, so I don't want to to duo nicknames.

Synnett

Stuff
Might as well share the nicknames of my favorite pokemon...

[Rapidash] Spirit: This come from a movie of the same name, the one with horses in it. Still my favorite movie after all these years... and it's quite fitting isn't it?

[Magneton] Pulse: Back when I still had my Leafgreen, I was trying to capture a Magneton for my pokedex. He ended up sweeping my entire team, even my bulky Victreebel, with thunderbolt. This Magneton somehow had perfect IV everywhere and was holding a magnet, giving Thunderbolt a op feeling to it. And it was Modest. So yep, I named him Pulse, inspired by its op-ness. He later sank along with my Leafgreen when it broke, but I still has it in my heart, shinier than ever. <3 (I mean, he was lvl 34 and my team was in the 70's)

[Cradily] Depth: The bottom of the sea is filled with strange and deadly creatures, like my Cradily. She's female. :p I like how she swings her head in the sprite animation, it's cute.

[Seaking] Jabot: A jabot is a puffy neck ornament made from lace. Its tail reminded me of this. I'm also a fan of historical costumes and stuff, so I like it. I mean, he's so beautiful! ~Kings used to wear this too... Seaking.

[Aerodactyl] Amber: Obviously, it's the material its DNA was kept in, so I couldn't find a more fitting name for it. Except for Gargoyle, but it doesn't look right.

[Claydol] Illusion: At first, I had planned to name it Clay-Doh, but it wasn't serious enough for my loyal friend from the Hoenn region. (He always had a spot in my team :) ) So I named him Illusion for some reason.

Skylander Sylveon

Top Coordinator
Cool! I called my Murkrows Fleshlump and Desdemona! :^D

I caught an Elekid the other day and being the idiot I am I didn't name it Megaman. :( I'm pretty sure I named it something stupid like COOL GUY. (i use caps now lol)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In my Pokémon Y, I nicknamed one of my Sylveon M.B.R.M.O.F., after the Sylveon meme, 'My Bows are made of Flesh'.

Emm

Emeralda
Anyone got name ideas for Toterra and Igglybuff? They are not supposed to be related, but I am asking for names to both at the same time cause why not.

DoctorGar

Pokemon Expert
For a Tortera you could call it "landturtle" after how it has land on its back and is based of a turtle, sometimes its best not to overthink these things.
For an Igglybuff you could name it after a singer for example Elvis or The Rolling Stones.

My personal favourites of my nicknames are
(Hypno) Marty: It is named after my uncle Marty who smokes all the time
(Rapidash) Kevin: It is named after my Brother John who runs really fast
(Machamp) John: It is named after my Brother Kevin who lifts weighst.

Last edited:

_Kiwi_

praise the grapes
I named my "partner" (the one Pokemon I would theoretically take to every region, leaving behind everyone else) Jaune, French for Yellow, which was my very first Pokemon version.

I love the sentiment behind that :')

I nickname all my Pokemon, even the ones I capture solely for the purpose of filling my Pokedex. Pokedex-fillers tend to get nicknamed for something that's going on around me, so their names tend to be the most random of the bunch.

Pokemon that I intend to use on my team get a little more thought put into their names... I don't usually have specific meanings behind them though. I tend to pick a letter or two in their name and mess around with various sounds until I get something that sounds nice haha.

I think the only Pokemon of mine I can recall having any specific meaning behind their nickname was my Hippowdon on my Platinum version. Just after I caught him, I asked my family "What do you call a hippopotamus in a cave?" and my dad replied with "An enigma?" So of course it was only right to name him Enigma.

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
I just love to give my Pokémon nicknames, but I mostly do this to Pokémon I catch and/or use in the main story or if they are shiny.

When doing so, I often use names from TV series and movies, but also from zoo animals. In rare cases I just use random words for nick names

Some examples:

- Jackpot: My masuda method bred shiny Treecko turned Grovyle turned Sceptile which I bred in Pokémon X and used as my starter in Alpha Sapphire. The nickname stems from my reaction when he hatched from his egg.

- Cote 'dor: My masuda method bred shiny Dedenne which I bred in Alpha Sapphire. I named it after a well known brand of chocolate, because of it's chocolate brown colour as a shiny.

- Whis: My masuda method bred shiny Shuckle which I bred in Alpha Sapphire. I named him after a character from Dragonball Z: Battle of Gods.

- Snowflake: My masuda method bred shiny Piplup turned Prinplup turned Empoleon which I bred in Alpha Sapphire. I named him after a penguin I saw at Edinburgh Zoo, who, like a shiny piplup, is a much lighter colour then what a penguin of it's species should be.

Schala25

I always name my Turtwig line Mackinaw/Mackinac because one of the legends of Mackinac Island (which is north of where I live) is that it formed on the back of a great turtle.

I also tend to pick themes for naming in certain games. Though sometimes they stick long after that. I did gods/goddesses/mythological figures once, and now if I catch a female Houndour, she always gets called Hecate.

For a color challenge, I gave all of my Pokemon four letter names, so for instance, my Piplup was named Floe.

I think my favorite name was the one I gave to a shiny Swinub in Silver. Back then, I thought the shiny stuff meant that Swinub was red, like the Gyarados (I didn't really understand shiny Pokemon, and the GBA didn't really show the colors that well). So I named it 'Red'. I remember being very confused when I used it in Stadium 2, and it wasn't red.

(Other notable names from my youth: my Dewgong in Red, which was also my first Lv. 100, was named 'ICER', and I vaguely recall naming Mewtwo 'CatPKMN' or something similar.)

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
I have the urge to nickname most of my pokemon to Final fantasy characters/animals/objects, here are some examples:

Gyarados - Leviathan (Any FF really.)
Beedril - Zidane (FF9)
Doublade - Ragnarok (FF8)
Emboar - Belias (FF11)
Druddigon - Bahamut (Any FF)
Altaria - Cloud (FF7)
Archeops - Chocobo (Any FF)
Kecleon - Eiko (FF9)
Gallade - Cecil (FF4)
Dragonite - Tiamat (Any FF)

Any more peeps out here that do the same? Lol

Sprinter1988

I never really bothered with nicknaming pokemon for the longest time, then I started doing Nuzlockes and actually got really into it I have a lot of pokemon now that I will always give certain nicknames too. Sometimes the nicknames are random, but other times I put lots of thought into the names. He are some of my usual ones:

Bulbasaur: Cabbage. Back in the days of Red and Blue there was a kid at school who told me he nicknamed his Bulbasaur Cabbage. When I finally got around to nicknaming pokemon, there was no other nickname I felt I could give it.

Wooper: Female = Natalie. No idea why. I just called one that once and it stuck.
Male = Newton. "Ned's Newt" is a cartoon about a kid who owns a gigantic talking newt called Newton who is blue. Hence the name. Sometimes I go further and change it to Isaac (as in the scientist Isaac Newton)

Fennekin: I love the Harry Potter franchise. One of my favourite aspects is the Patronus charm (if you don't know what that is, its a spell that forms into a silvery animal to ward off Dementors, hideous, soul sucking demons) - the Patronus forms into a different animal for different people and for the character Seamus Finnigan, it takes the form of a fox. So any male Fennekin I train is nicknamed Finnigan the Fennekin.

Swanna: Cho - similar to the above reasons, only this time because Cho Chang's patronus is a swan.

Misdreavus: Hermione. I feel like a lot of people do this, but I don't mind using someone else's good idea. Given that Mismagius is based on a witch and Misdreavus has a kind of mass of untidy hair, the nickname Hermione just seemed appropriate.

Mismagius: McGonagall: So sometimes after evolving, I switch the name from Hermione to McGonagall, simply because, as it is fully evolved, Mismagius is an adult witch, while Misdreavus is in school.

Piplup: Forster. This one takes a little more explaining. Empoleon based on an Emperor Penguin. The latin name for Emperor Penguin is Aptenodytes forsteri. The forsteri bit comes from Johann Reinholf Forster, a naturalist who accompanied Captain James Cook on his second voyage. In his time he made significant contributions to the field of Ornithology (study of birds) and named five other species of Penguin (Little, Chinstrap, Gentoo, Magellanic and Rockhopper) so what more reason is there to name Piplup after the guy?

Psyduck: Male = Ferdinand. If you have ever watched the film "Babe" about a pig who wants to be a sheep dog, you'll know about the trouble-causing duck called Ferdinand.
Female = Jemima. From The Tale of Jemima Puddle Duck by Beatrix Potter

Pidgey: Percival and Penelope... because they begin with P. No other reason.

Rattata: Joey. I really shouldn't need to explain this.

Goomy: Pancake. So I did a Wonderlocke on Y version wherein one of the pokemon I got was a Goomy named Pancake. Happily, it evolved into Goodra and survived right until the end. All other Goomys get named Pancake in its honour.

Espeon: Lucky. In that same Wonderlocke, I got a shiny Espeon who made it to the end, but came so close to dying so many times that in the end I began calling it Lucky.

Snivy: Mapleleaf. Again in that same Wonderlocke, one of the survivors was a Serperior that came with this nickname.

Deino: Blue. I also did a Wonderlocke on Alpha Sapphire and got a Deino named Blue. Blue did not last long, maybe half an hour before being murdered by a Sandslash. But the name stuck with me.

Torchic: Sanders. Because of KFC.

Charmander: Charles. Because whenever he's on the team, he's in charge. (Wonder how many people will get that!)

Tepig: Bacon. Because why wouldn't I?

Togepi: Twerp. Because I felt like it!

Koffing: Biohazard. Because it is.

Turtwig: Terrence. Because what other name is there to give a turtle without resorting to Ninjas?

Zubat: Sanguini. He's a vampire seen briefly in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, and to be honest, Dracula and Vlad are too obvious for me.

Vivillon: Viola. You know why.

Pikachu: Ash. For the same reason.

Talonflame, Moltres, Ho-Oh: because they are all fire birds, like Dumbledore's phoenix.

Taillow: Rustic. Because the latin name for the Barn Swallow is Hirundo rustica

Ponyta: Lightfoot, who was the parent of Snowmane, King Theoden's horse in Lord of the Rings.

Anyway. Those are my main ones. Other pokemon I just name what I feel like naming them at the time.

~Emolga~

Just A Crazy Fangirl
I recently did a wonder trade and I received an Ariados named Arachnaphobe. I thought that was a really cool nickname since Arachnophobia means the fear of spiders and Ariados is a spider (or looks like one at least). It's a shame Arachnaphobe is mispelled and should be Arachnophobe, but I guess it's something i'll have to deal with.