• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

M.P.

Retired
I don't usually nickname Pokemon, but I did once when I played FireRed. Some of my favorites were:
- Ace (Pidgeot)
- Darkside (Haunter) named after the first boss of Kingdom Hearts.
- Psycho (Hypno)
- Diggernaut (Dugtrio)
- Dong (Primeape) named after "Expand Dong".
- Greengrass (Gloom) named after Claude Greengrass from TV series Heartbeat.

Nockturne

I always call my Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable's "Clefabulous" now that we get enough characters to do so. And my Tauros' "Notaurious"

Smithy4224

Living Dex Collector
I've played six main series games ever since I finally got good at Pokémon years ago: Pearl, White, Black 2, X (which I've raised two teams in), Alpha Sapphire, and HeartGold (during a bit of a retro kick). However, I didn't do much nicknaming at first; I'd give the occasional name when I came up with one, but it wasn't until X that I decided to give names to my teams as well. And here they are:

X - Main Team
Fyraga, Delphox - Named for the fire magic from Final Fantasy, with a y in place of the i because I thought it looked mystical
Bugzzy, Diggersby - At first, a reference to Bugs Bunny, but then I spelled it like the Kirby character because I could
Bulblax, Venusaur - A twofold reference to Pikmin; it's a direct reference to the massive Emperor Bulblax boss, and a nod to the Pikmin and the Bulbasaur line both being plant/animal hybrids
Bluebell, Florges - Very simple; a blue flower Florges, named for a blue flower; I gave similar flower names to the other four colors of Florges as well
Muramasa, Aegislash - A reference to the mystical katana, Muramasa
Everest, Aurorus - Named for the great mountain, since Aurorus is a huge Rock/Ice type

X - 2nd Team
Woofer, Noivern - Named for the large, bass-y type of speaker
Eggplant, Gourgeist - I named him Eggplant because he's shiny, and shiny Pumpkaboos/Gourgeists are purple instead of pink-ish orange
Casey, Alakazam - I gave him the name as an Abra, because I saw that it was Abra's Japanese name and found that quite amusing
Filia, Mawile - Named after the main character of Skullgirls, who has a similar head mouth in her hair named Samson; if this Mawile I caught had been male, he would totally have been named Samson instead
Goosey, Barbaracle - I named him after a variety of stalk barnacle called the goose barnacle
Jet, Pangoro - Pangoro's gangster-ish looks reminded me of West Side Story, so she got named for one of the gangs in that play

Alpha Sapphire
Gex, Sceptile - Named for the title character in the Gex games
Scarfy, Linoone - Since he's shiny, he's bright orange; between that and the Silk Scarf he's equipped with, I decided to name him after the Kirby enemy
Famalia, Sableye - Named for a magic spell from Layton vs. Wright, which can summon a ghostly familiar; after learning about Sableye's design origin, the Hopkinsville Goblins, I decided that if I ever raise another Sableye, it will be named Hopkins
Rollo, Azumarill - I honestly don't remember why he's named Rollo; probably something to do with the Marill line's roundness
Vesuvia, Camerupt - Named after the notorious Mount Vesuvius, although I changed to a feminine suffix since I caught a female Numel
Ruby, Latias - Given the games' names and her red coloration, the name Ruby occurred to me instantly; after catching her counterpart later on, I named him Sapphire to match

HeartGold
Lightan, Typhlosion - After naming the protagonist Gold, I named my Cyndaquil Lightan as a reference to the odd and obscure Gold Lightan
Happy, Togekiss - Named after the character from Fairy Tail, because Togetic reminded me of him for some reason
Prince, Nidoking - Named after the artist formerly known as "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince", because of his purple coloration and the presence of king in his species name
Nieve, Glaceon - Another simple one; nieve is the Spanish word for snow
Faraday, Magnezone - Named after Michael Faraday, inventor of the Faraday cage; doubles as an Ace Attorney reference
Stella, Starmie - An actual name, derived from the root stell-, meaning star

A couple of other nicknamed Pokémon include a Masquerain named DeMasque (another Ace Attorney reference), and a whole alphabet of Unown that each have a name starting with the letter they resemble. My apologies to anyone who doesn't like massive posts, but I just felt like sharing and got carried away.

Last edited:

Bumblebee5253

Hive Master
I like naming my Pokemon, some that I can remember are the following:

Chespin - Nutface
Shiny Elekid (My favorite Pokemon) - Bumblebee
Latias - Guardian
Shiny Durant - Pym
Shiny Staryu - Argentum
Shiny Ponyta - Azula
Shiny Paras - Gravemind
Kyogre - Poseidon

SoraPrince

Little Brother
I have never nicknamed.
I have once, but I shortly restarted and such because the different names confused me sometimes on who leveled up? :S
Just wasn't special to me since nobody else was watching.
I think nicknaming is better for lets players

Smithy4224

Living Dex Collector
Random thoughts led to a couple of reference-based nicknames I rather like; I haven't used them yet, and may never use them, so I thought I'd share here.

Ghidorah, for Hydreigon - From the Godzilla monster King Ghidorah, who is also a three-headed, armless dragon
Louie, for Infernape - From The Jungle Book, specifically the scat-singing orangutan King Louie, who wanted to learn how to make fire
Baskerville, for Houndoom - From the Sherlock Holmes story The Hound of the Baskervilles, since the titular dog is a massive hellhound
The Fat Man, for Snorlax - From the TV show Jake and the Fat Man; I also considered Cannon, another TV character played by the same actor

Pogeymans

Ace (Pidgeot)
Ha funnily enough I've also had a Pidgeot called Ace.

I nickname all my Pokemon even ones I just shove in the PC or wondertrade. It's like naming pets, I have to do it.

I use influences from all over the place (pop culture, literature or things that fit the scheme or Pokemon species name conventions). I tend to put more thought to my party Pokemon. Here's some random examples because I've had 1000s of nicknamed Pokemon by this point-

Taillow Swift the Taillow.
Goozilla the Goodra
Shrewdance the sandshrew
Guernica the Gyarados
Eevil the Umberon
Inflox the Delphox
ZZ Drop the Drowzee

Case Azula

Hades's Assassin
I remember nicknaming my Charmander Greymon for some reason.
I nicknamed my Beartic Pooh, I was half asleep after being forced to watch a Winnie the Pooh marathon with my niece and nephew.
I remember naming my Bisharp Jason Vorhees because I thought he looked like a serial killer.
My Loppuny I named Pam Anderson....don't ask or judge.
And I named my Gardevoir and Gallade Brittany and Alvin respectively. I just finished watching Alvin and the Chipmunks the Squeakquel and I was just pumped and singing the songs from the credits is all...again don't judge or ask...

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
I haven't actually named pokemon personally for ones that I use on my team since Gold and Silver... and even then, all I did was just a small quirk of removing the first sylable of the name. Cyndaquil became Daquil. Etc.
I think it was mainly inspired by the naming from the stadium series at the time

Last edited:

Vinnythebro

A funny story about my Miltank, named "Vanilla"

One day, I was sick, and I wanted Vanilla icecream. RIP for me, there was none, so I tried to make some home-made icecream with milk. I did, and it was the best thing I've ever ate! Best part is (and the reason why I named her Vanilla) the next day after eating the icecream, I was better.

Miltank's milk heals sick pokemon according to many sorces, so I thought "Why not"

Vinnythebro

I also Always nickname my starter "Matthew jr.", and if it where to be a female, it's name would be "Mattie"

I'm running through X right now, and I'm doing an 'all-female, all feminine' run. I have the following so far:

• Lila the Delphox (Named for a Miraculous character)
  • Sammy the Furfrou (Named for the biblical figure who had great strength drawn from his hair)
  • Cleo the Nidoqueen (Named for Cleopatra)
  • Ursula the Octillery (Named for the Disney Villainess)

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I give names to almost all of my Pokemon. My brother does this too. We often end up with dumb or hilarious names when we can't think of a good name.
Examples of some of mine:
Sparky (Pikachu)
I'm Flat! (Stunfisk)
Bunbun (Buneary)
I'm creepy (Hypno)
Emerald (Rayquaza)
Why not? (Wynaut)
Luna (Cresselia)

I've done a lot more names, but I don't want the list to be long.

Lor D. Chuckle

Veteran Nerd
I named my Ampharos Goku (From Dragon Ball Z).

Why? Well for one it's mega evolution grows hair (much like ss3), and I also taught it hyper beam. I thought it was funny to shout Kamehameha every time I decimate an opponent.

I need a good Forretress nickname for a team I'm raising. I want it to suggest that the Forretress is going to use Explosion, which is untrue. I appreciate nicknames not only for their distinguishing abilities but also for the possibility of giving the Pokemon a competitive edge. Is that kinda low and dirty?