• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

Elite4woolfy

✽✽✽✽✽✽
I nickname all of my Pokemon

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Nicknaming team members is mandatory in my games - I've been doing it since gen 3 and it really helps get me more involved and interested in the team I'm raising.

Echo Nacyl

I can't help but want to name a Salazzle Elizzabeth. I nickname everything I raise that I'm allowed to name, so I just might.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
I have a hypothetical team based on Gaoranger, my favorite Super Sentai.

Arcanine or Pyroar: Gao Red
Sharpedo or Garchomp:: Gao Blue
Shiny Pidgeot: Gao Yellow
Shiny Purugly or Shiny Incineroar: Gao White
Tauros or Shiny Bouffalant: Gao Black
Mightyena or Shiny Midday Lycanroc: Gao Silver

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
A few nicknames from the new Sun/Moon games:

Moby Finn the Wishiwashi: combination of the name of a famous fictional white whale and "fin" (abeit with two n's)
Oberon the Cutiefly: After the fairy king of the same name, was pretty grateful that there are some male fairies given they are typically female.
Jibanyan the Litten: Could not resist the temptation, quite fitting that Litten shares the same type/element with Jibanyan in the Yo-Kai Watch games.
Unkaind the Salandit: After the Wicked executive of the same name from Yo-Kai Watch 2, for some reason Salazzle's colour scheme and appearance remains me of her so the name basically stuck in my head.
Tesla the Grubbin: After Nikola Tesla, would have named it after a spaceship but I don't know a lot apart from a Yu-Gi-Oh! monster that somewhat resembles Vikabolt.

Last edited:
Meowstache the Litten was a name that spawned from way back in May when Litten was first introduced. My friend saw the picture of Litten that I had sent her and she said its whiskers were a "Moustache" and insisted I named it Moustache. A few months later, I was thinking of the name, when I realised how well "Meow" fitted into the beginning, creating a neat little pun. I told my friend about it and she agreed that that would be a better name. When I got Moon, I finally got the chance to name my Litten Meowstache. That's the story.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The two Pokemon I nicknamed in Pokemon Moon were:

Litten (now Incineroar)-Pyromidnight (Pyro + [the name of my black cat])
Crabrawler (now Crabominable) King K. Rab (Joke on King K. Rool, but less fitting now)

Both of these Pokemon are incidentally Docile, but that doesn't quite fit the latter.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Nicknames for Alolan Pokemon based on popular culture:

Rowlet - Hogwarts (refers to the heavy use of owls in the Harry Potter universe)
Mudbray - Eddie (named after Eddie Murphy who voices Donkey in the Shrek series) or Hunky (if female) or Spunky (if male) - the latter two refer to donkey characters created by Fleischer Studios for its Color Classics series
Turtonator - Bowser (this one is obvious)
Komala - Kwicky (refers to a Hanna-Barbera koala character created by Tex Avery)
Pikipek - Woody (both are woodpeckers, Woody being the mascot of Walter Lantz Studios whose cartoons were released by Universal - the studio who is going to release the Detective Pikachu movie and presumably, other live-action Pokemon movies) - if you name it Woody keep it unevolved
Toucannon - Sam (refers to a well-known cereal mascot, I think you know which one, it's from the same company that made a Pokemon cereal years ago)
Bewear - Yogi (this one is obvious)
Litten - Puddy Tat (Tweety's name for Sylvester)
Popplio - Stefano (Madagascar 3)

Last edited:

Bowlbasaur

I always name my Munchlax/Snorlax Hubble (I just like it), but this time around I named some others too.
Incineroar-- Ser Pounce (a Game of Thrones reference)
Exeggutor--Coheed
Toxapex--Cambria (I knew I was going to have these two on my team so I wanted to reference one of my favorite bands)
Bewear--Fluffinstuff
Muk--Tubbs (both of these just because)

ZimZamZom

Anyone know why Pokemon Sun wouldn't let me name my Minior Rosette? Wanted that name bc it's a pink Minior, but it said I couldn't use that nickname, same as if I'd tried to use an expletive. I changed it to Rosetta - still has pink association, plus it's like the Rosetta Stone. I think I like Rosetta better anyway, but I am still confused as to why Rosette was not allowed.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Anyone know why Pokemon Sun wouldn't let me name my Minior Rosette? Wanted that name bc it's a pink Minior, but it said I couldn't use that nickname, same as if I'd tried to use an expletive. I changed it to Rosetta - still has pink association, plus it's like the Rosetta Stone. I think I like Rosetta better anyway, but I am still confused as to why Rosette was not allowed.
That is weird. The difference would be with the "e" at the end. Rosette isn't offensive, and sette is the Italian word for seven.

I went as far as to search the 3ds's text entry filter, but I haven't came across it.

I named a Magikarp "BEAST" in my Pokemon Red Run.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Tell me what you guys think of the nicknames I've picked out for my Pokemon in Pokemon Sun, please:

Mr. Oron the Bewear: its a nickname inspired by TeamFourStar's Soul Silver Nuzlocke (looking at you Mr Stake)

Calypso II the Wishiwashi: why 2? because I already had a Calypso that I got from my older brother, unfortunately she's still a Psyduck since I keep forgetting to train her, she's currently trapped in one of my gen 6 games.

Sir Aphyllum the Roserade: I wanted to give it a flower theme name, and the "sir" is there to make his name sound at least somewhat fancy.

Candelabra the Chandelure: Probably going to regret it if they make a Pokemon directly based off a Candelabra, but oh well worth it I like how it sounds on Chandelure.

Argyroneta the Araquanid: the name is literally taken from the Diving Bell Spider's scientific name, why? because why not I really have no other reason.

That's it for now.

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
Tell me what you guys think of the nicknames I've picked out for my Pokemon in Pokemon Sun, please:

Mr. Oron the Bewear: its a nickname inspired by TeamFourStar's Soul Silver Nuzlocke (looking at you Mr Stake)

Calypso II the Wishiwashi: why 2? because I already had a Calypso that I got from my older brother, unfortunately she's still a Psyduck since I keep forgetting to train her, she's currently trapped in one of my gen 6 games.

Sir Aphyllum the Roserade: I wanted to give it a flower theme name, and the "sir" is there to make his name sound at least somewhat fancy.

Candelabra the Chandelure: Probably going to regret it if they make a Pokemon directly based off a Candelabra, but oh well worth it I like how it sounds on Chandelure.

Argyroneta the Araquanid: the name is literally taken from the Diving Bell Spider's scientific name, why? because why not I really have no other reason.

That's it for now.

I do believe the last three are quite fitting, especially Sir Aphyllum for Roserade. It adds a certain charm to it.

Meanwhile...
What names HAVEN'T I given to my Pokemon? I'm quite proud of a select few...

I have both forms of Lycanroc, which I named after Fire Emblem characters. It's kind of fitting that my non-competitive doggos are named Kaden and Keaton, while my competitive ones are named Selkie and Velouria. Should be pretty straightforward for anyone who's played Fire Emblem ;P

All three of my competitive starters have Hawaiian names: My Litten is Kekoa, meaning "brave/courageous"; Popplio is Ali'ikai, meaning "king/queen of the sea" (queen in this case); and Rowlet is Kalama, meaning "tree of ebony", which I thought sounded kind of fitting for Decidueye.

Something about the Jangmo-o line reminded me of Aztec culture, so I named my playthrough Kommo-o "Achcauhtli", which means leader in Nahuatl (aka the language of the Aztecs), and my competitive Kommo-o "Cihuapilli", which means princess.

Lastly, there's my competitive Mimikyu, who's name is Chuki, and I like that there's three things going on in the name: it's Swahili for hatred (the anime goes as far as to say it hates Pikachu for its popularity), it takes the "chu" from Pikachu, and it's almost written like the name Chucky (if anyone remembers the movie Child's Play).

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
I do believe the last three are quite fitting, especially Sir Aphyllum for Roserade. It adds a certain charm to it.

All three of my competitive starters have Hawaiian names: My Litten is Kekoa, meaning "brave/courageous"; Popplio is Ali'ikai, meaning "king/queen of the sea" (queen in this case); and Rowlet is Kalama, meaning "tree of ebony", which I thought sounded kind of fitting for Decidueye.

I love those names, fits with the inspiration of the region and showing the qualities you see in your pokémon.

To be honest, I would have a hard time renaming Silvally... I love the sentiment Galdion had in naming his partner.

A few of my in game names for Moon:

Opal the Jolteon -when I first got Eevee I wasn't sure what I was going to evolve it into, but the name Opal just clicked with me. Not only does it reference the many stones that Eevee uses to evolve, the multicolored nature of the stone shows the potential that every Eevee has before evolving. Jolteon was just one path the little guy could take.

Lupine the Decuideye - Ghosts always reminded me of tricksters, so Lupin, among others came to mind. But none of the name were Grass punny, until I realized I could add an e to Lupin to reference pine trees. Shame that Lupine has another meaning entirely which doesn't match Decuideye at all.

Silk the Butterfree - I liked silk because it gives an image of grace, something that fits a Butterfree well. It also doubles as a cool mention to what Caterpies are known for making in-universe (especially if you ever read Pokémon Adventures -Yellow)

Tucker the Slowbro - Again veering back into the puns territory, the Slowpoke I caught for my team was male and had a naughty nature, which made me think of Tucker from Red vs Blue. Also doubles as a pun for the end result of anyone fighting a Slowbro.

Genesectasaurus

One nickname I am especially proud of is naming my Necrozma (the prism Pokemon), Pink Floyd. I thought this was pretty clever but if anyone else thinks otherwise, please let me know.

FowTech95

Random Passerby
Ever since I began watching Nuzlockes and LPs on Youtube, I have been nicknaming my Pokemon. Here are some nicknames I gave to my mons from Pokemon Moon:

In-Game Team
-Will Treaty the Decidueye - I named him after the main character of Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. Seeing Decidueye back from the leaks reminds me of the Rangers from the books.
- Tesla the Alolan Raichu - I named her after Nikola Tesla. I was going to nickname one Static Shock (after the superhero) if it's a male.
- Velouria the Midnight Lycanroc - Obviously named after Keaton's daughter from Fire Emblem Fates.
- Fullbuster the Alolan Sandslash - Named after Gray Fullbuster from Fairy Tail.
- Rui the Salazzle - I named her after Rui, one of the flame dragons in Flame of Recca. Seeing her Pokedex description and characteristics reminds me of Rui (the human form) a little.
- Selene the Lunala - Half of the reason is from the Greek goddess of the moon while the other is from the main character of the Underworld series. I then renamed her to Nebby in post-game due to lingering guilt.

Others
- Rob Lucci the Incineroar - Named after the CP9 with a similar name from One Piece. I know he turns into a leopard but his build is quite similar to the Pokemon.
- Constance the Palossand - She is named after the villain spirit from the film Monster House. She is the one who came into mind when I was thinking of a nickname for a ghost castle.
- Z-3 the Zygarde - The XY&Z anime already has Z-1 and Z-2. Why not Z-3?
- Mr. Universe the Machamp - I caught it as a Machoke and the first thing that came into mind was Arnold Schwarzenegger. But I already named a Machop Arnold so this name was the first thing that came into mind. A friend cracked up for hours when we traded to evolve him.
- Alexander the Silvally - Named after the infamous chimera from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Last edited:

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I got a few more Pokemon nicknames to share, tell me what you think please:

Excalibur the Aegislash: because he's a sword, and because its its a fun name

Polygonzo the Porygon-z: because I felt it had a very slight Gonzo-ish appearance, its a computer program given life, hence the polygon part of its name, and because I liked how it sound

Casper the Mimikyu: because its a ghost that wants friends that's literally it.

and that's all for now, until I come up with more good nicknames for my Pokemon

Jack200127

Call Me Lotus
I always nickname my Pokemon I have never not nicknamed a Pokemon even when I first started playing when I found this feature I was overwhelmed but any ways here a my nicknames for some Pokemon (They are most times nicknamed after another game or anime/manga)
Nicknames:
Typhlosion: Natsu
Charizard: Igneel
Ditto: Kool-Aid/Jello (sorry he looks like it)
Trevenant: Deku Tree
Electivire: Live Wire
Absol: Snow
Blastoise: Hydro
Venusaur: Saur (After Manga)
Feraligatr: Gator
Mewtwo: MewWho
Sceptile: Gecko/Gieco
Swampert: Butthawk
Snorlax: Snor (After Manga)
Lapras: Nessie
Nidoking: Dodongo (After OoT)

That's enough Nicknames for u people to use for your Mons correct?

Bye!

Yes I know I'm an Absol Fanatic call me "The Absol Pokemaniac"
;359; ;359; ;359; ;359;

P.S (My Second Favorite Pokemon Is Dialga And My Friends Call Me Lotus)
;483;