• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

Krokketto Prime Danjal

Done with worldly lies
I usually nickname my Pokémon, not all of them but if a good name pops into my head after I've caught one or if I already had one in mind then I will give it a nickname.

However, this gen I seem to be lacking inspiration for good nicknames and so most of the Pokémon I have don't have a nickname. I'm also trying not to re-use nicknames that I've used in past games which is also making it harder for me to come up with good new ones.

Most of the nicknames I use are usually just a play on the Pokémon's actual name/ appearance/ character and I don't change it even when it evolves and no longer makes much sense.

Anyway a few selected ones I have come up with in my Moon game:

Comfey- Chain (chain of flowers)
Happiny female- Joy (a happy emotion and also the Nurse connection)
Drifloon- Airhead
Zubat- Newyearbat (I caught it on New Years Day)
Igglybuff- Pop (yeah, sounds a bit cruel but...)
Roggenrola- Speaker (cos it looks like one)
Machop- Smaktup (as in smacked about!)
Cubone female- Skull Grunt female symbol (why not?)
Rockruff- Roksta (as in rockstar)
Magnemite- Getschooled (caught at the school. Hoping it will hand out lessons to its opponents)
Gumshoos (which I let evolve by mistake, didn't want it to evolve ever) - Dents (those teeth!)
Magikarp- M. Sea Rage (based on a real MC by that name. Will obviously sound better once it evolves. I've come up with good nicknames for Gyarados over the years: Fierce (another DnB connection), Fishous (viscous)).

Rayza16

Sky Lancer
My VERY first Pokemon was totodile in the original silver. I just named him Goku after my favorite anime character who in his series was powerful enough to destroy worlds. In the end I felt it was the best name I could give him because he was the only poke I EVER got to level 100, and I only used 1 rare candy.

I nicknamed my Mudsdale in Sun Francis, after Francis the Talking Mule. That one was fun. And my Pyukumuku's nickname is George, and together we shall take over the world!

JohnnyBlaze

Shiny Hunter
Nicknames I'm most proud of and ALWAYS use are:
Charizard: Chorizo (Gotta be male for it to click. Also first Pokémon and nickname EVER for me, so it has emotional attachment to me. And I'm Hispanic and LOVE chorizo! And i was hungry at the time :p)
Gyarados: Ryujin
Nidoking: Rampage
Feraligatr: Raptor
Garchomp: Ragnarok
Gengar: Spectre
Volcarona: Mothra
Wailord: Shamu
Alolan Persian: Garfield
Groudon: Fireclaws
Pikachu: Sparky/Shokku
Smeargle:Michelangelo or Shinobu (Based off Magi creator)
Zekrom: Ohmega
Decidueye: Nightstalker (Based off Destiny Hunter class)
Silvally: Chimera
Golisopod: Goliath
Crobat: Nosferatu
Lopunny: Lilith
Malamar: Cthulu
Meinshao: Mr.Miyagi
Muk: Biohazard
Shedinja: Omen
Talonflame: Phoenix
Snorlax: Gluttony
Mimikyu: Pikaboo
Salazzle: Hazmat
Sudowoodo: Voodoo
Abomasnow: Evergreen
Floatzel: Kibblez
Camerupt: Pompeii
Swampert: Skipz
Emboar: Bacon
Salamence: Shouryuu
Skarmory: Jikan
Arcanine: Hachiko
Torterra: Kusachi
(Don't know what the last 4 mean, but kinda rolls off the tongue, there's a possibility that I made them up. Lol)
Also most of my grass starters and Simisage are mostly based off of weed. Don't judge me, please...
Venusaur: Kush
Meganium: Sativa
Sceptile: Hash
Serperior: Indica
Simisage: Ganja
Feel free to rate any of these nicknames! I would love to hear feedback on them! :)

Last edited:

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Thinking about it, I'm not really a nicknamer, but I always have nicknames that I WANT to give my pokemon but am too embarrassed to for one reason or another.

I did nickname my 6th gen Klinklang Bastion (Overwatch), and my sparkly precious Shiny Joltik Sookie, but that's about it... though I did see some pretty cool nicknames in this small tourney I was in at a convention last year.

I know I've posted here before, but I have no clue how long ago that was.

Regardless- I've been nicknaming my Pokemon since Emerald, but some of my favourites have come out of my Nuzlockes. Here's a few of those favourites. Feel free to rate them if you so wish.

Mienshao- Whiplash
Samurott- Otori (works better with Osha/Dewott, but I digress.)
Chandelure- Farewell
Unfezant- Fluster
Ambipom- Zotl
Cubone- Orpheus
Scyther- Grimm
Houndoom- Quinn
Crustle- Clockwork (takes context- I always imagine a little clockwork Crustle whenever I see it)
Victreebel- Isabelle (I think it's actually going to become my standard female Victreebel name)
Koffing- Cooper
Dragonite- Ouroboros
Venusaur- Kane
Tympole- Metronome
Cobalion- Forge
Haxorus- Halberd

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
If I nickname a Pokemon, there is reasoning behind it.
Amphy - Ampharos - Named after Jasmine's Ampharos
Rusty - Every Steelix Ever - Named after the Steelix you get from Jasmine
Zazu - Chatot - After playing Mystery Dungeon, I felt like Chatot and Zazu were remarkably similar.

DragonfireLS

It sounds quite weird in my opinion, but I came up with the name "Hydrox" for my Vaporeon. Again, it probably sounds weird because 1, I was in a medival (probably spelled that wrong) kick during that time. And 2, I am not creative whatsoever and was running out of ideas. Even so, Hydrox is probably the best name I've ever come up with.

DragonfireLS

Okay, here are my (horrible) SoulSilver team names (thus far since I reset)
Meganium: Terros (Reason for it is because "Terra" is kind of an earthy name, so I kind of made it more of a male name)
Pidgeot: Zephyr (I looked up names related to air, then I looked up the definition of zephyr. It apparently is a gentle breeze or the west wind)
Vaporeon (Previously mentioned): Hydrox (I explained it in another post, but I ran out of ideas for a name to sum it up)
Ampharos: Fulc (Again, medival kick and I... well I made up my worst name yet! I have no idea what I was thinking when I named it)
Sudowoodo: Xylem (This is a real word, though it doesn't apply well to Sudowoodo. It means "the system of woody tissue that transports water in a plant". It looked like a tree... and you can guess where it went from there.

When it comes to the nicknames I give to members of my Pokemon teams, the nicknames are once that tend to follow the theme I use for the team. Here are the nicknames I have used for the team leaders for all of my Pokemon teams
Delta the Blastoise (Game: Blue)(leader of my Star Wars Republic Commando Squads team)(reference: Delta Squad from Star Wars Republic Commando)
Galvatron the Feraligatr (Game: Soul Silver)(leader of my Decepticons team)(reference: G1 Galvatron from Transformers)
Revan the Swampert (Game: Sapphire)(leader of my Star Wars Sith Lords team)(reference: Darth Revan from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic)
Napoleon the Empoleon (Game: Platinum)(leader of my World Leaders team)(reference: Napoleon Bonaparte)
Durendal the Samurott (Game: White)(leader of my Legendary Weapons team)(reference: Durendal from The Song of Roland)
John Rambo the Samurott (Game: White 2)(leader of my Anti-Heroes team)(reference: John Rambo from the Rambo movies)
Enterprise the Greninja (Game: X)(leader of my World War II Ships team)(reference: American aircraft carrrier Enterprise CV-6)
Luke the Swampert (Game: Alpha Sapphire)(leader of my Star Wars Jedi team)(reference: Luke Skywalker from Star Wars)
Garland the Blastoise (Game: Blue [eShop version)(leader of my Final Fantasy Villains team)(reference: Garland from Final Fantasy I)
Zebes the Primarina (Game: Moon)(leader of my Metroid Series Planets team)(reference: planet Zebes from the Metroid series)

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
Themed Nicknames

I was wondering if anyone here has certain themed nicknames they follow. For example, each generation I take my top 3 Pokemon and give them names related to the "box" names.

Gen 1 - colors
Gen 2 - alloys
Gen 3 - gemstones
Gen 4 - birthstones
Gen 5 - chess pieces
Gen 6 - letters that sound like words (I use French ;P, Elle, Vie, Aime)
Gen 7 - planets

TBH I kinda want a better theme for gen 5 since the chess thing might be stretching it. Maybe some of your nickname ideas can inspire me :)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I generally name mine, usually random names and that kind of thing. Oddly enough though Pokemon Moon wouldn't let me name a Feebas, Who Moved?. o_O

M.P.

Retired
I recently did a Platinum playthrough on another site, and encountered a Shiny Machop during it. I named it Bronze Mac... although the name wasn't really fitting anymore after it evolved (I forgot Shiny Machoke was green).

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
I recently did a Platinum playthrough on another site, and encountered a Shiny Machop during it. I named it Bronze Mac... although the name wasn't really fitting anymore after it evolved (I forgot Shiny Machoke was green).

Bronze does turn green overtime due to oxidation.

On a different note... I want to replay Moon again and nickname the Litten I will pick "Brady". (after my sister's recently deceased cat)

KingZekrom333

Grrr... HUNGRY!!!
I captured a female alolan sandshrew and named it queen elsa from disneys frozen..i usualy nick name my pokemon after animated movie characters or based off their ookedex description.then i captured a male alollan sandshrew and named it jack frost from the animated movie rise of the gaurdians