• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

Kelz

More saving. More doing.™
I always do ever since B/W. I never did before then.

My current team:
Samurott: Miju
Arcanine: Kippy
Virizion: Virizion (I don't like naming legendaries)
Unfeazant: Izzy
Ampharos: Wooly
Lucario: Cocoa Jr.

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
I've been naming mine since DPPt

Main W2 Team is:

-Scolipede: Absolem (M)
-Liepard: Luna (F)
-Crobat: Vamp (M)
-Samurott: Katana (M)
-Lucario: Lupe (F)
-Arcanine: Hera (F)

Cutty

Forever now
Yes, especially my team and shinies caught.

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
I don't exactly nickname all of my Pokemon but I do nickname some Pokemon that I imagine with a certain voice of another fictional character such as Bartz for my Flareon. Named after Bartz Klauser from Final Fantasy V. Or Asbel for my Jolteon. Named after Asbel Lhant from Tales of Graces.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
I do try to nickname all my Pokemon. As some of the other posters, I believe that giving them nicknames creates a special bond between you and your Pokemon. It's kind of like having a dog, and the difference between calling it "Dog" and "Samuel."

That said, it does get really taxing, as I always try to make the nicknames something clever. For example, I have a Scrafty named CptUndrpnt, a Togekiss named Babytooth, a Reuniclus named Alaric, a Feraligatr named Reptar... I try to make some sort of reference to something else. However, sometimes I can't think of anything, or I find something random to be much more appropriate. That's why I have a Garbodor named Garbzilla and Garbonator, and an Eelektross named Toothbrush.

Nicknames like that. It also helps differenciate when you have multiples of the same Pokemon. You can keep track of them, and also remember the specific bond you have between you and them.

GreenSweeper

Pokemon = supr srs
I always name the Pokemon I plan on using. However, If I'm just catching it to fill up the dex, I usually skip that process.

Rinni

Hero of the Storm
When I first started playing I used to nickname almost everything. And I used to sit and watch the horse and greyhound racing for nickname ideas. I had quite a few nice ones going too. Nowadays though I only tend to nickname one or two, and have hardly done nicknaming lately. One peeve is that they went and made everything go from, say: PIKACHU to Pikachu. So I try and keep the latter because of feeling like the caps is shouting at you. That and I am a slight perfectionist so I don't like having an old Pokemon with all caps names in with the rest. Weird hey? ./rant

Normally I will find one of the bird types you find early in game that has more than 1 evolution and name it after my bird in real life. <3

Professor Squirtle

Professor of Rain
Yes, I nickname every last one.

Some examples you say? Why of course good citizen.

In a random order:

Crobat Line: This Bites; This sucks; Elvira
Tyranitar: Kraid; Reptar
Machamp: 4ThumpsUp
Venusaur Line: Wart
Blastoise Line: Bowser/Insert Ninja Turtle Name Here
Patrat Line: Chip'n'Dale/Chuck E
Gengar Line: Boo/Ghini/Poe
Shieldon Line: Helmasaur
Onix/Steelix: Trinix
Jynx: Rupaul
Sigilyph: Arael (Evangelion Reference)
Beartic: BEARthur
Miltank: Whopper
Emboar: Ganon
Dragonite (depends on the set: FusRoDah/Insert-related-Skyrim-shout-here
Tangrowth: Frkyids
Heatran: Blaarg
Magnezone: Lil UFO

The list goes on forever, really.

Rinni

Hero of the Storm

In a random order:

Reptar! Nice.
Reference to Rugrats I assume?

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant

In a random order:

wow....really a great stuff there....!

I nickname my ingame team and the pokemon I use of competitive battling.

Like Miensho-Syaoran, Starmie-Nakshatra(It means star in my native language), Flygon-Magic, Gardevoir-Serena, Hydreigon-Sonia and many. But my ingame serperior is named Aurora, which is the only one who shares the name as my ingame name :D (same pronunciation ;))

Thowra

The Silver Brumby
Mostly no, but sometimes I do on a fit of impulse. For instance when my larvesta hatched shiny and it was male, I called him Apollo. But my other shinies don't have nicknames (barring Rapidash) because I like their names just the way they are.

Sometimes when a Pokemon takes too long to catch I give them rude names. Like my Regice in Sapphire that cost me 68 ultra balls and 30 timer balls before it was finally caught, so I named it A**HOLE. A bunch of other pokemon in my pc boxes have similar nicknames due to their taking too long to catch.

Everyone on my current team do not have nicknames except for Apollo the Volcarona.

Oh, there was a time that I pranked my friend and renamed all his team 'It hurt'. He didn't get it at first until I challenged him to a battle; when I spammed supersonic he finally got the prank. It was awesome.

But yeah, I generally don't give my pokemon nicknames.