• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

Zardian

Zoroark Master
Gengar-Casper(The friendly ghost)
Emboar-Wilbur(pig from Charlotte's Web)
Lucario-Chun Li(Street Fighter)
Meowth-Tom(Tom&Jerry)
Piplup-Mumble(Happy Feet)
Tyranitar-Godzilla
Magikarp-Retard("Retard Used Splash" it's a joke)
Tangela-Whipped(Being attached/Joke)
Yamega-Dragonfly(common sense)
Virizion-Virizon(Common Joke)
Tortuga-Crush(The turtle from nemo)
Luvdisc-Heart(common sense)
Blaziken-Chuck(Chuck Norris)
Elekid-Charger(reminds me of a wall plug)
I can post more if wanted

AllHailThrall

I always nickname my Pokemon. In quite a few runs I've used mythological names (since one of my passions is mythology). For example, in Ruby:

Blaziken- Ares (god of war)
Gardevoir- Aphrodite (goddess of beauty)
Aggron- Hephaestus (god of metalworking)
Flygon- Hermes (god of trickery and speed, it was the only name I could think of that fit)
Cacturne- Demeter (goddess of the harvest, again, the only one that fit)
Sharpedo- Poseidon (god of the ocean)

Other times I do names that just come to me. For instance, in my current SoulSilver game:

Feraligatr- Matimar (LONG story, basically it was the name I gave my first Totodile back in Silver, and ever since then I've named every Totodile that)
Tauros- Minos (After King Minos and the Minotaur)
Exeggcute- Benedict (eggs Benedict)
Haunter- Oogie (After Oogie Boogie from Nightmare Before Christmas)
Onix- Farrah (it's a female, and Farrah is similar to "ferrous", meaning made of iron. I'm planning on evolving it into a Steelix)
Dratini- Astrid (named after the love interest from How to Train Your Dragon)

Estellise

peachy
Hey, guys! I need a nickname idea for my West Sea female Gastrodon…

I've nicknamed most of my Pokémon in Pearl, except her [the Gastrodon]. I honestly have no ideas left. :/ I want it to be clever or creative, but I used up all of my creativity whilst nicknaming the 20+ pokes I have. Do any of you guys have an idea or suggestion?

Thanks.~

McJobes

Pokemon Whisperer
I usually turn the pokemon's name into a nickname, e.g Lucario > Luka, Darmanitan > Dazza, etc. But if I can't make a good nickname out of their name I'll try and come up with something.

I JUST restarted Pearl after taking a 2-3 year break from Pokemon
I named my Piplup "Penko" (when she becomes a strong Empoleon I might change it)
My Luxio is Denki (Japanese for "electricity")

Oh, and my HM slave Geodude is named YOLO

and other names I like using

Yukiko for a Frosslass (duh look at my username)
Mari for Azumarill (it even means ball when written in kanji, and Marill/Azumarill resembles a ball)
Stelle for an Espeon
Lumie for a Gardevoir
Lucian for a Gallade
Noir for an "Umbreon

And my first Drifblim was named Vendredi, French for Friday (Friday is the day Drifblim comes out)
I thought French was a fitting language? I guess maybe because of Fantina

...I remember a long time ago I named my Mudkip "Kipster" and I never changed it XD

Charze

Always flyin'
I usually turn the pokemon's name into a nickname, e.g Lucario > Luka, Darmanitan > Dazza, etc. But if I can't make a good nickname out of their name I'll try and come up with something.

I used to do this a lot too, but then I found it better to nickname it something a little less direct. Like naming a Mareep Sparky or something. That way it's still the electric feel, but not "Meepy" or something. Also it gets harder when it evolves (ex: My Stoutland was named "Puppy" for a bit)

KokoYoshi

;101;Pokebomb. Handle with caution. Lest you'll get caught in an explosion haha.

;134;Mermeon. Obligatory nickname for my favorite pokemon of all time. Vaporeon has a majestic tail that's often mistaken as a mermaid's. I gave mine this nickname over Ariel, Melody, Aurora, Tsunami, Bubbles, and Wavy. She's so cute and pretty.

:598: Iron Weed. Obligatory. As it evolves from :597:Iron Seed.

;373;Ragence. The essence of this name is to unleash the rage of vengeance to the naysayers. The naysayers who mocked this beast's dream of flying when it was a Bagon. Now they will pay!

;081;;082;;462;Magnevolt. Obligatory nickname I dedicate for any Magnemite, Magneton, and Magnezone.

;443;;444;;445;Grunch. Obligatory nickname I dedicate to any Gible, Gabite, and Garchomp.

;470;Elfia. Leafeon reminds me of the sweet and kind pacifist elves. Since it's a pacifist itself and it has an air of elves, might as well give this elf like creature this nickname. It's probably my second favorite eeveelution behind Vaporeon since I adore how cute, elegant, and gentle she looks.

;130;Angerous. Gyarados is dangerous when it's angry.

:625:Rubedge. Pronounced Rub-edge. Was tempted to go Daft Punk or something Japanese, but I thought why not compliment it's elbow blades it rubs on it's foes? It makes its foes look like rubbish if it does.

That's all I got for now.

Last edited:

Henraye

Toon Leader
I only recently starting nick naming my pokemon, and I usually name them like after a greek god. Like for Empoleon, he's Poseidon, god of the sea. Houndoom is Hades, god of the underworld. Staraptor, Zeus, god of the sky

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
On my Diamond I name every Pokémon, even if I don't use it, in Finnish. For example, my Infernape is called Palo, which means Fire in Finnish.

Infernape = Palo
Dialga = Aika
Bibarel = Turha
Staraptor = Veren Sipi
Luxray = Sfhinksi
Weavile = Kynsia

I fecently got Pokemon Diamond, and though I'm not finished, here are my current Pokemon and their names.

Team:
Twiggy the Torterra
Hazel the Lopunny
Eerie the Murkrow
Crash the Rampardos
Nightshade the Roserade
Twix the Girafarig

In the PC:
Sterling the Staravia
Zoey the Zubat
Dazzle the Shinx
Beaverly the Bibarel
Woozle the Buizel
Axel the Wooper
Paradox the Dialga

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
Well, I catch a lot of pokemon, but I only nickname ones that really "matter" to me, as in, I will be using (which means mostly fighting type pokemon, unless I'm doing a theme in a replay (for instance, in a recent replay of Yellow, every pokemon was named after a Radiohead song)or if a name just strikes me). Most of the pokemon follow a Greek or Roman naming-scheme.

There are a lot, so I will put them in spoilers.

*Sertorius the Hitmonchan. Sertorius was a Roman general predating the Pax Romana. He held out in Spain against the Sulla (a faction of Romans) before he was assassinated by Perperna.

*Effie the Medicham. Mostly, I liked the sound of this name. A like to pretend that she is from England, and Effie is a somewhat popular name in England (according to what I have been told), and it is also an old Greek name meaning "Well spoken of".

*Reglius the Scrafty. When I first played The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, I played it on a really crappy TV. I misread the name of the Count of Bravil (Regulus Terentius) as Reglius, and liked the sound of the name.

*Ariadne the Breloom. Ariadne was the daughter of King Minos (not Midas, but the guy who had Daedalus build the labyrinth under Crete).

*Rumia the Lucario. Rumia was the name of the female wolf that found and nursed Romulus and Remus, the twin brothers who, according to myth, founded Rome. Lucario sort of looks like a wolf (or Anubis...more Anubis than anything) to me, so it seemed to fit.

*Hephaestus the Infernape. Hephaestus was a name of the god Vulcan. Considering Vulcan's "sphere", the name seems to fit (plus, as a Trekker, when I read Vulcan, I wouldn't think of the god).

*Metellus the Hitmontop. Metellus was the predecessor of Sertorius. Metellus is the father of Sertorius (the pokemon, here), so I figured it fit.

*Diomedes the Hitmonlee. Diomedes was a hero...can't recall exactly what he did, but he was very brave and valiant. I figure it is best to name fighting pokemon after people who were brave and valiant.

*Mephitas the Croagunk. Mephitas was the goddess of poisonous vapors, and Croagunk is part poison.

*Menenius the Gallade. Menenius was a patriot who taught to the plebes the fable of The Belly and the Limbs.

*Cervus the Heracross. The Latin word for beetle is "Scarabaeus", but the word for stag is "Cervus". Heracross looks like a stag beetle, to me.

*Deimos the shiny Medicham. I like to operate under the notion that he and Effie are brother and sister, and that he is cruel and dangerous, being kept locked up. Deimos means dread.

*Cadmus the Machamp. Cadmus founded the city of Thebes.

*Rana the Poliwrath. Rana is Latin for frog.

*Danavita the shiny Scrafty. I named her after the song "Aye, Danavita" by Pearl Jam. It has the type of sound I like in a nickname.

*Terminus the Blaziken. Terminus was the god of boundaries. I see him as being a guard or protector of sorts (I like to come up with back-stories and personalities for my pokemon. Sue me).

*Gamma the Toxicroak. Though gamma is a greek letter, I named this Toxicroak after these frog-like monsters in Resident Evil. This was before Seismetoad (who looks a lot more like Hunter Gamma).

*Enceladus the Hariyama. Enceladus was a giant, and Hariyama is huge. Fits to me.

*Amulius the Emboar. Amulius has a similar sound to "immolate", and Emboar is a fire pokemon.

*Rocko the shiny Breloom. Breloom reminds me of a fusion of a mushroom and a wallaby. Rocko of "Rocko's Modern Life" was a wallaby.

*Jason the shiny Meinshao (I've had a lot of luck with shinies this year). Jason was the leader of the Argonauts.

*Agrippina the Primeape. Agrippina was the mother of Caligula.

*Caligula the Mankey. His mother's name is Agrippina.

*Artemis the shiny Emboar. Named after the goddess Artemis.

*Andromeda the Combusken. Everyone knows who Andromeda was...

*Ioalus the Pignite. Ioalus was friends with Hercules (at least, in the television show from the 90's).

*Ganymede the Monferno. Ganymede was a beautiful young man who was made immortal in order to be the cupbearer of the gods. I refuse to evolve him, so, in a way, he is eternally young.

*Tiro the Tyrogue. Tiro means apprentice in Latin. I was going to name him the word for squire (armigus), but I didn't like the sound of that.

*Thalia the Machop. Thalia was the muse of comedy. I thought the name sounded pretty and would work for her.

*Alchemilla the Makuhita. Alchemilla was the name of the hospital in the Silent Hill series (other than Brookhaven). It had the right sound, and I thought it was pretty.

*Perditus the Riolu. Perditus means "abandoned" in Latin. In his back story, he was abandoned by his previous trainer.

*Jack the Machoke. I was listening to The Who a lot at the time and he has a happy sort of nature so he is "Happy Jack".

*Papre the Dragonite. It is an homage to Dragonne Papre, mentioned in the book "Starlover's Log" found in numerous Elder Scrolls games. Sad what happens to Dragonne Papre in the book.

*The Hoorta the Heatran. It sort of looks like the Hoorta from Star Trek, to me.

*Shudo the Lugia. In memory of Takeshi Shudo. RIP, sir.

*Hand-banana the Arceus (Dream World). Well, Aqua Teen Hunger Force fans know what Hand-banana is...I shan't say why here, as that may be perceived as "offensive" or "vulgar".

*Shaun the Latios. When it approaches you in BW2, it says "Shaaaaauuuun" or something like that. I was really sleepy.

*Smile.dog the Mightyena. If you've never seen smile.dog, it looks a lot like Mightyena. A lot a lot.

*Hops the Sableye. After "Hopkinsville". Sableye is modeled after the Hopkinsville monster. As I live in Kentucky, I felt I had to have one.

*Omi the Scyther. Short for "omideto", Japanese for "congratulations". It was the only time I've ever been able to take first place at the Bug-catching contest.

*Daedalus the Kecleon. I once had a pet chameleon named Daedalus. After he passed away, I was very, very depressed. I named the Kecleon after him in his memory.

*Alecto the Sneasel. Alecto is one of the Furies.

*Tisiphone the Froslass. Tisiphone is one of the Furies.

*Megaera the Mismagius. Again, one of the Furies.

*Manes the Gengar. Manes is Latin for "spirits of the dead".

*Ultra Mega Chicken (or Ultrmegchk) the Skarmory. In reference to "Ultra Mega Chicken" from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

*Nannerneck the Tropius. It has bananas, or "nanners" growing out of its neck. Plus, I love saying "Nannerneck".

*Llorna the Gardevoir. Just wanted to name her that. I do love urban legends and creepypasta.

*CaptnAggro the Lickilicky. Short for "Captain Aggro". 1 HP. Asleep. 50 Ultraballs. I thought I was going to lose my mind.

*Lil' Fatty the Munchlax. Obvious.

*Skull Kid the Nuzleaf. It reminds me of a Skull Kid, for some reason.

*Boba Fett the Cubone. It wears the skull of its dead mother. Boba Fett wears his father's helmet.

*Sarlacc the Trapinch. They are both modeled after the same thing: The Antlion (next to Mantids, my favorite insect).

I also have a lot of pokemon named after the song I was listening to when I caught them.

Raxacoricofallapatorius

Exalted Meme Junkie
I believe nicknaming a Pokémon increases its friendliness towards you, so it's always to your benefit to utilize such an option.

I've given my Pokémon some utterly ridiculous nicknames in the past, but I usually try to make them somewhat relevant to the respective Pokémon's type or personality these days. Recently, I've been on a Gaelic and German derivation kick.

⊙ᴗ⊙
I'm currently playing through White, and so far my team consists of:

Sandy - Samurott
Pachi - Simisage
Meema - Zoroark
Fanya - Infernape*
Boogaloo - Electabuzz*
Brutus - Skarmory*

* Traded for parents over wifi, and hatched from an egg

In the PC:
Jamba - Panpour
Nibbles - Patrat
Knockoff - Darumaka
(no nicknames) - all 3 crown beasts
Pleakley - Duosion
Skid - Skorupi
Kaizer - Emolga
Pinch - Pansear
Fiddles - Mankey
and
Winkle - Lickitung

Scolipedeluv

Squad member Ricchan
Just some clever nicknames i thought of.
Vanilluxe=Yufu (Fuyu means Winter in Japanese so I reversed it)
Haxorus=HacknSlash
Emboar=Bacon (fire+pig=bacon)
Lilligant=Lilly
Farfetch'd=Miku (because of the obvious leek)
Altaria=Luvbi (Luvbi is a nimbi, nimbi sounds similar to nimbus, nimbus is a cloud, clouds are what Altaria's wings look like)
Umbreon=Midna (Short for midnight also Twilight Princess is a fun game)
Charizard=YUNODRAGON (Why isn't Charizard a dragon)
Misdreavus=LittleMiss (Because in Pokemon Chronicles, Marina had a Misdreavus which she named Little Miss
Volbeat=Hotaru (Hotaru is Japanese for firefly)
Liepard=Blaze (Because Blaze is a purple cat)

Last edited:

LyreBirdGirl

inactive
My Eeveelutions have been nicknamed! (I am quite proud of these)

Flareon - Calcifer - "Howls Moving Castle"
Galceon - Hoth - Star Wars
Leafeon - Legolas - LotR
Umbreon - Artemis - Greek Mythology
Jolteon - Tesla - Inventor and important figure in the development electric wiring
Espeon - Akira - "Akira"
Vaporeon - Undine - Mythical water nymph

AND...

Sylveon - Bo - A reference to the show "Lost Girl". The main character, Bo, is a faye.

Ziva

Hearthome
I don't really have nicknames but when I do they are only for my favorites. They usually have to do with the original Pokémon name or something random:
Mismagius: Maggie (I love the name Maggie and you can hear the name "Maggie" in Mismagius)
Giratina: Mr. G (Since his name starts with G and he is my favorite I thought it suited him. It also went with my character that is named G.)
Dusknoir: Donnie (This was hard to come up with a nickname so I choose my favorite name that starts with a 'D')
Electabuzz: Elliott (Starts with an 'E' and suited him, I thought)
Drifblim: Drifline (I, for some reason, thought of Caroline when I saw a Drifblim so I fused the names in my head)

Honestly I really like nicknames ^.^

AceOfSpadez

I Am The Law
I nickname all of my main team Pokemon. An example would be my White team:

Samurott- Navy Seals
Haxorus- Massacre (Dragon Dance + Outrage = Massacre)
Excadrill- MOLEsted (Mole)
Unfezant- Masquerade (Male form has a mask and a masquerade is a party with masks
Elektross- Jazz
Bouffalant- Fro (he has an Afro)

Spidermaddie

My very first pokemon was a torchic... I was 7 and named it "Peepie" because baby chickens make "peep" noises, right?
Well I still have the blaziken but everyone thinks I named it after... You know.