• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

Oshwatt

Please note following Pokemon were named because of a Nuzlocke:
Flutters the Flygon - the name popped into my head and thought perfect.
Ignatius the Blaziken - I wanted a cool and threatening name for name Torchic, come on say it with me IGNATIUS.
Maria the Beautiful Milotic - She is named after one of my friends.

Last edited:

KokoYoshi

;134;Undine is Latin for many things(google it) for my Vaporeon. Hatched her in Undella Town and thought this should be her nickname.

;350;Serenity for Milotic since she becalms anger with her beauty.

;130;Searage for Gyarados. Sea + rage=See that rage in the sea. Also Sear as in burn to destroy with age meaning he will do it for ages.

Maedar

Banned
I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but I have a question. I've been playing Y for a few days now (I got both games as a Christmas present) and I know that the game prevents you from entering obscene or controversial words as nicknames (for obvious reasons, due to the social nature of the link) but there have been a few examples I don't get.

I caught a Minun, and thought to name it Tweedledee (hoping to name Plusle "Tweedledum" when I caught it) but for some reason, that word wasn't allowed. At first I thought, "maybe copyright violation?" But then I remembered, "no, Lewis Carroll's works have been public domain for over a century" (just ask Tim Burton) so I have no idea why that was bad.

Then when I caught a Sentret I tried the name "Nutskin" which I used for it in a previous game. (Anyone who read Beatrix Potter's book when they were a kid would "get" the reference.) But that wasn't allowed either. Then I tried "Nutzkin", still a no-go. But "Nutkin"? THAT one was fine.

So honestly, what in the world is the criteria here?

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but I have a question. I've been playing Y for a few days now (I got both games as a Christmas present) and I know that the game prevents you from entering obscene or controversial words as nicknames (for obvious reasons, due to the social nature of the link) but there have been a few examples I don't get.

I caught a Minun, and thought to name it Tweedledee (hoping to name Plusle "Tweedledum" when I caught it) but for some reason, that word wasn't allowed. At first I thought, "maybe copyright violation?" But then I remembered, "no, Lewis Carroll's works have been public domain for over a century" (just ask Tim Burton) so I have no idea why that was bad.

Then when I caught a Sentret I tried the name "Nutskin" which I used for it in a previous game. (Anyone who read Beatrix Potter's book when they were a kid would "get" the reference.) But that wasn't allowed either. Then I tried "Nutzkin", still a no-go. But "Nutkin"? THAT one was fine.

So honestly, what in the world is the criteria here?

Tweedledee. Same reason they banned trade of weedle without nicknames.

As for Nutskin, 'nut' is probably not allowed, idk.

Maedar

Banned
That has got to be the ''lamest'' excuse I have ever heard.

You know... The devs are hypocrites, because despite this strict system, players can "get crap past the radar" rather easily. Start the game, choose the male character, and choose the name "Master" when the Rival characters ask what they want your nickname to be. Bet you'll get a laugh whenever Shauna talks to you.

Edit: Anyway, I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but I hear a popular "fan nickname" (quote-unquote) for Fennekin is "Fennekin Skywalker".

Edit 2: Seeing as I've always been a big fan of Gardevoir (and nearly squealed when I found out that it was one of the Fairy-Types, the new powerhouse of the game, and was capable of Mega Evolution) I did not leave that Route until I found a decent Ralts. Name: Aphrodite, just like the one I had in the last game.

Last edited:
Before Y, I never really nicknamed much, but I decided to give it a start in Y.

My girlfriend's favourite Pokemon is Absol, my favourite is Milotic, so I named my Absol on Y Tahlia (my girlfriend's name), and the Milotic I'll breed on Y will be named Pim (my name), and I'll be using them in double battles as a tag team whenever possible, do y'all think that's cute?

Aside from that, I have mostly South Park-related nicknames on Y, I randomly gave them, but some have a reason:
- Wendy - Altaria - Altaria looks cute, smart and innocent, but can be a nasty opponent
- Stan - Gyarados - I thought Gyarados matched Altaria nicely.
- Kenny - Lapras - no valid reason, my Lapras rarely faints.
- Cartman - Garchomp - both are dangerous, life-treathening and powerful. Cartman lacks physical strength, but if he hates you, prepare to die. And if Garchomp hates you, prepare to die.
- Bebe - Gardevoir - my Gardevoir is female and I already named Altaria Wendy.
- Chef - Moltres - a Fire type can warm stuff and cook it, Chef cooks food, and Chef sees all women as hot, Moltres's fire is hot.
- Butters - Flygon - no reason.
- Mr. Garrison - Azumarill - no reason, I felt like it.
- Tooth Fairy (reference to Cartman's outfit in the tooth business episode) - Sylveon - it's the first Fairy type I ever trained.
- HungDaddy (reference to a pedophile's internet name in the episode where Cartman tries to get "mature friends" on the internet, not knowing he attracts perverts) - Greninja - no reason, I had to name one Pokemon HungDaddy after rewatching the South Park episode which it's a reference too.
- Terrance - Yveltal - Mewtwo and Yveltal are my strongest legendaries on Y, and I wanted a duo to be Terrance and Philip, and Yveltal has some red, like Terrance's shirt.
- Philip - Mewtwo - read above, Yveltal was named Terrance and Mewtwo was left to be called Philip.

Blaziken is named Blaziken because it's a downloadable one and can't be nicknamed, and I have one Absol named Abby, after an OC of my girlfriend. I have two Absol trained on Y, the weaker one is Abby and the stronger one is Tahlia.

I still need a good Pokemon for Kyle, some of the parents and a few others, I'll do that once I can get Pokemon Transporter and EV train some new Pokemon.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile

Sceptile is super!
Tweedledee. Same reason they banned trade of weedle without nicknames.

As for Nutskin, 'nut' is probably not allowed, idk.

'Nut' has to be allowed. I named my Chespin 'Nutty' because it's a chesnut, and that made it past the filter. There's probably some obscure racial insult that blocked Nutskin.

Haddy

I like to create a play on words or puns in the nicknames of my Pokemon, here are some of my favourites. Or have names that create a link to the name.
CharHazard - Charizard. (Charizard + Hazard = my Mega form.)
IBelieveIts - Butterfree. (Because it is butter, hence I Believe Its)
Metamothosis - Venomoth. (Metamorphosis - Moth = easy name)
Magic Conch - Cloyster. (All hail the Magic Conch! Awooloolooloooloo!- Spongebob)
Rock Paper - Scizor. (I adore this name, because it fits perfectly with the game rock paper scissors.)
IToadYouSo - Politoed. (Not orginally mine, but I absolutely love the name)
OneNiteStand - Dragonite. (Play of words on the obvious using Dragonites name)
Scooby Doom - Houndoom. (Who doesn't love evil Scooby Doo?)
LudiYOLO - Ludicolo. (Haters gonna hate. #Swag)
HappySlap - Ambipom. (Reference to the bullying activity, because this guy just annoys you senseless!)
Thorns+Roses - Roserade. (Reference to Guns N Roses and my spike setter)
Frostitute - Froslass. (Oh dear, these names are getting quite controversial)
Its Among Us - Amoonguss (Told you I was bad, jusy say what you see.)
ThugsBunny and MyDigga - Diggersby Twins. (Play on Bugs Bunny, and... well I'll not explain the latter too far, but Thugs Bunny is shiny!)
NotYoursMien! - Mienshao. (It's not yours, it's mine... Sorry, Mien!)

Thanks for reading if you got this far!

Maedar

Banned
I love Absol too. (Like most players, I wish they'd come out with a pre-evolution of it; it would be cute as Hell.)

Anyway, I just caught a female one, which I named Artemis, after the goddess of the moon. (Not sure what to do with it right now; does it Mega Evolve?)

blue8arman

Castform Fanatic
In my Pokemon Y, I named my in-game team after Fairy Tail characters except for Goodra.
Mystogan the Greninja
Natsu the Charizard
Mest the Linoone
Elfman the Tyrantrum
Kinana the Dragalge
Goochan the Goodra

jesz_

Stay Sassy
Rarely nickname my pokes, but I just caught a shiny Mime Jr. on my new X version. He just looked like he should be called "Blimey" ^__^;

I always nickname my pokemons :)

Boaring!!! = Emboar (pun)
DoubloJobXD = mega Mawile (cuz it has two mouth for...)
WaterBaby = Phione (cuz its cute)
BunnyOrRat? = Azumarill (cuz i wonder if its bunny or rat)
metaGROSS! = Metagross (cuz it has the word gross)
GrapeIceCrem = Gengar (should be grape ice cream but not enough space; when i was a kid, there used to be pikachu icepops that is lemon flavor. Occasionally there would be a gengar icepop that is grape flavor)
Y? = Yveltal (cuz its version Y, and y = why?)
Mew mew :3 = Mewtwo (cuz i had a bad time catching it, so i disgrace it by making it sound like a cat)
Eyebra XD = Flygon (pun for eyebrow, plus its eyes are shielded)
ROAR!!! = Tyranitar (cuz its obvious)
I'm so Wet = Goodra (cuz it is)
LetMeLickU = Greninja (cuz it has huge tongue)
OMGHugeAzz = Zekrom (cuz it has huge butt)
SparklButt = Black Kyurem (cuz its butt sparkles)
BitOffUr... = Garchomp (cuz its a shark)
Uh-oh = Ho-oh (cuz its obvious)
Way2Spiky = Zapdos (cuz it is)
HoOhWannaB = Moltres (cuz it is)
FRZMeButt = Articuno (cuz freeze my butt)
RageQuit = Gyarados (cuz Opponent dragon dance, i sent in Jirachi. Scarf Jirachi outspeed and thunderpunch, OHK gyarados, opponent rage quits)
Yakitori = Talonflame (cuz its obvious)
An4llDrilla = Excadrill (cuz it drills All... Yea... Thats why...)
Oni = white Kyurem (cuz it looks like one)
MiceTryFool = Cinccino (pun)
All3ShutUp = Dodrio (cuz its obvious)
EdEddEddy = Hydreigon (cuz the show Ed Edd N Eddy)
SuckMeHardXD = Slurpuff (cuz its a slurpee)
ANoobIs... = Lucario (cuz anubis, a noob is...)
WatULookn@ = Staraptor (cuz its sprite from gen 4)

Last edited:

Scattar

Sableye Enchancer
Just downloaded Pokemon X off the N. eShop yesterday. Nicknaming my pokemon after drinks that have some relevance to the looks/attributes of the pokemon (exclude chespin):
Chespin - Coke
Fletchling - Red Bull

And that's all I have caught so far.

Maedar

Banned
After catching Panpour, Pansear, and Panpage in Y, I named the trio Boomer, Brick, and Butch, respectively.

What? No-one here a fan of The Powerpuff Girls?

Anyway, it seems that a lot of Mons come in trios, and fortunately, there are lots of fictitious trios to name them after. (I mean, seriously, I doubt I was the only player to name Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion after Athos, Porthos and Aramis.)

Scattar

Sableye Enchancer
Called Xerneas a legendary name. Tooheys.