• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

KillerDraco

What's the best name for a Sylveon: Moonshine, Wyrmslayer, or iFukDragons?

If you're going solely for the trololzy lulz, then the last one's a clear winner.

If you're trying to go for an ironic double meaning, Moonshine takes the cake.

Wyrmslayer does nothing for me.

Haddy

Moonshine sounds pretty good, and I think it's better then what mine is named. (Cute+Pink)

My Sneasel Trolls

Sneasel Is Life
Zoroark - Lucifer
Sableye - Iblis
Sneasel - Devious
Houndoom - Hades
Greninja - Hanzo
Murkrow - Gale
Pangoro - Kodiak

I have a serious addiction to dark types, I know. You don't have to tell me.

Thoughts?

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
@My Sneasel Trolls: Those nicknames actually sound pretty good. I especially love Kodiak for Pangoro. XD Gale for Murkrow sounds a little weird; seems a bit more deserving of a darkness-oriented name than a wind-oriented name, but not bad.

Anyway, now for a list of some nicknames I really like in my X (and I'm not talking about one of my chromosomes here):

Lapras: Tessie (the Loch Ness Monster-lookalike from Earthbound)
Venusaur: Littlefoot (one of the dinosaurs from the Land Before Time)
Aegislash: Falchion (a kind of sword)
Gardevoir: N Harmonia (after the ex-Team Plasma "king" from B/W)
Lucario: Nimbus (the part of the aura that surrounds the head)
Florges: Thumbelina
Aurorus: Pryce (after the Ice-type gym leader from G/S/C)
Zweilous: Nightfury
Lanturn: Lumos
Malamar: Cthulhu
Zoroark: Loki
Mawile: Trixie
Wigglytuff: Hatsune Miku
Trevenant: Treebeard (one of the Ents from Lord of the Rings)
Kadabra: Spoony Bard
Scyther: PsychoMantis
Haunter: Nosferatu
Pansage: Reefer
Skiddo: Billy
Skitty: Squee
Yanma: Odonata
Sawk: Knuckle Joe (a fighter enemy from some Kirby games)
Swirlix: Flossie
Pancham: Maylene (after the Fighting-type gym leader from D/P/Pt)
Tauros: El Toro
Murkrow: Lenore
Umbreon: Tenebre (Latin for darkness)
Smeargle: Wishbone (he knows Wish)
Ferroseed: Touch-Me-Not
Pumpkaboo: Nightshade (referring to the poisonous plant)
Sliggoo: Trolli (a brand of gummy candy)
Hawlucha: Birdman
Altaria: Sinatra
Banette: Samara (the girl from The Ring)
Sylveon: Bishounen
Gurdurr: Trunchbull (the demonic schoolworker from Matilda)

Yeah, I just love nicknaming my Pokemon...

ed00001

Forretress: Ironhide
Doublade: Hexcalibur
Hitmonchan: Mike Tyson
Ludicolo: George Lopez
Mega Manectric: Usain Bolt
Donphan: Rick Astley

Elchar

I went to funny way with three names, two of them are from Czech:

Patrat named "Potrat" (potrat means abomination in Czech, I just found funny how it is similar)
Lillipup named "Lizatko" (from lízátko, meand lollipop in Czech, again because of similarities in name :) )

Also, I named one Jynx "Mrs Obama", I am sorry :D

Btw, if you found fact that Patrat is similar to Czech word weird, don't even ask about Pichu.

Kibagos

FairyDragon Queen~
I usually name my Pokés after Tv/Movie/Anime characters.
I usually give all Pokés in the same team names from the same series. I often watch some kind of movie/tv-show/cartoon/anime when I'm breeding and then I tend think the characters as Pokémon and then it just goes on from there. And usually my imagination on what to name to give them is really bad so I guess it helps me out a bit too. May be a little silly but when I have seen a character as a Pokémon it can't be unseen.. ^~^

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
I have a flawless, shiny, Timid, Hidden Power Ice Rotom Wash that I plan on using on my primary competitive OU team. Any time I make an in-game version of a finalized competitive team, I like to nickname all the members; it's a tradition I've done at least once per generation since Diamond and Pearl. I at least try however to pick somewhat unique and maybe kind of obscure things for names; I try to avoid stuff like "it's Sparky the Pikachu becuz he's an electric type herp derp." At the very least, if I can't be clever, I try to be referential to some of the more unique things I like. Here are a few examples:

Snowflake the Infernape -- named after Snowflake the gorilla, and also because of Infernape's white fur
Wolfsbane the Gliscor -- named after Wolf's Bane, the flowering plant which is highly poisonous (like Gliscor), a lavender purple (like Gliscor) and traditionally used as a means of killing werewolves and vampires (like Gliscor)
War Pig the Mamoswine -- named after the Black Sabbath song of a similar name
Turing the Metagross -- named after Alan Turing for his work in computer science (my college major), in reference to Metagross being a super computer
al-Khwarizmi the Alakazam -- named after Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī, 9th century Persian mathematician and famously credited with the creation of algebra. I think Mega Alakazam has a Middle Eastern flavor to it, which helps.

I've been wracking my mind for about a week now trying to think of a name for this Rotom. I haven't come up with much of anything good. I'm thinking something having to do with Ghost in the machine, since Rotom is literally a ghost inhabiting and controlling a machine. It has a Timid nature and uses Volt Switch effectively, so I imagine it being frightened of serious battle and liking to switch out strategically. Because of this, it inhabits a big, bulky washing machine for protection. I'd also like to incorporate the fact that it's shiny somehow, if I can. I've been thinking something like "Impulse" or "Shade", but I don't especially like either of those. Any suggestions for something clever would be appreciated.

Pika Pika333

Impulsive Trainer
Some of my Gen VI Pokémon's nicknames:
Kitty (Butterfree), as a homage to the Pokémon Adventures Manga;
ChuChu (Pikachu), same as Kitty;
Casteliacone (Vanillite), would've been a nickname in my Gen V games, but not enough spaces;
Fluffles (Meowstic), I named it when I was cooing over it as an Espurr, and the name stuck;
Palindrome (Eevee), self explanitory;
Agua (Greninja), a Spanish name for a Pokémon, that lives in the equivalent of Poké-France, just to be ironic.
SIDE NOTE: If you got a Jynx named Nicki Minaj on Wonder Trade, that was from me. XP

Arkygi

Some of my nicknamed pokémon:
Aegislash - Blade Itself (it's the name of a book)
Roserade - Darien (from Sailor Moon, because of the mask, cape and the rose)
Jellicent - Mr. Pringles
Gengar - Cheshire (from Alice in Wonderland/Pandora Hearts)
Gardevoir - Gardié (based on guardian)
Gallade - Knightiel (based on knight)
Mandibuzz - Maude (I wanted to pick an old lady name because vultures have an old-like/worn out appearence to me, and also starting with a "M" of Mandibuzz)
Swampert - Acheron (a river, sometimes portrayed as a swamp, that has connections with the Greek mythology, specially the underworld)

And also names based on features of these pokémon; usually their types, or what they are based on or their behaviour. I usually pick 1-2 words that represent those things and put on a translator and search for many different languages (or in english) until I combine the words and make a name I like, so I came up with those:
(Although I mostly don't remember which 1-2 words I picked)
Whimsicott - Kurum (it has something to do with pranks)
Infernape - Jahanam
Togekiss - Siivet
Forretress (female) - Arthrion (arthopod + iron (sort of))
Ferrothorn - Hekuri (something to do with iron probably)
Vaporeon (female) - Merphin (mermaid + dolphin)

I love nicknaming my pokémon ^-^

Pika Pika333

Impulsive Trainer
Now.... *Dramatic Fanfare* ....more Nicknames from moi,
Mr. E (Zoroark), 'Cause it sounds like 'Mystery', also according to my friend, it's also a Chaotic reference;
Kidd (Phantump), if you take its Pokédex entry in Y into consideration, it’s a little mean;
Derpy (Slowpoke), it’s ‘cause Slowpoke is, well, derpy. Name fits ‘em;
I have a naming scheme for Dunsparce, males are named after metals, and females are named after jewels.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I'm a big fan of nicknaming pokemon. I name every single pokemon in the game I care about to some extent.
Soooooo... might as well update my ever growing list with my X and Y teams's names....

Pokemon Y (main game) team

Male Delphox: Artemis ('cause it's a wizardy name that sounds kinda cool)
Female Hawlucha: Galmanta (not too sure why, it just sounds nice and feminine and spanish-ish...? XD)
Female Heliolisk: Solaris (it's a girl name that contains the word solar. Which I think is fitting because she's a solar panel lizard)
Male Dragalge: Morgue (it sounds melancholic and I sort of imagine my Dragalge to have a goth-type depressed personality XD)
Male Aurorus: Diamond ('cause he has diamonds on his body)
Female Gogoat: Ramme (this is almost completely random. I just typed in a few syllables and I thought that that combination sounded cool so I went with it)

Pokemon X:

Male Aegislash: Goldaureus (it contains the words Gold and Aureo/aureus which means golden in italian and I think latin... so yeah it sounds ancient and noble and stuff)
Male Pangoro: Negative (this is a name I decided the moment this pokemon was revealed. I remember as soon as I first saw him I drew him on my notebook and wrote the name "negative" above it. It just....came to me. I knew right then and there I was going to train one and I was going to name him Negative)
Female Noivern: Supersonika (pretty self-explenatory...she's a super-sonic bat dragon with sound amplifiers for ears. Yeah)
Male shiny Clawitzer: Pepper Shot (the temptation to call him "Pepper Spray" was strong. But I'm not one to name my pokemon just for the lolz, they all should have names I wouldn't be ashamed to call them by. And come on, everyone out there already named their shiny Clawitzer "Zoidberg", and I wanted to be original)
Male Pyroar: Adone (It's the italian version of "Adonis".... it's because my Pyroar is extremely vain and an airhead, but still handsome as hell XD)
Female Sylveon: Aryetta (it's a cute and flimsy fairy-like name)

I usually name my Munchlax "Munchy" or "Munchin'" ;446;

Joth

Back from the Dead
Planned for X:
Male Greninga: Trevor (Neville Longbottom's toad :p)
Male (Mega) Charizard: Smaug (If you don't know what Samug is you have lived a sad and meaningless life thus far.)
Male Aegislash: Anduril (Again, you have not lived if you do not get my reference.)
Male Trevenant: Tirith (Yet another reference.)
Male (Mega) Lucario: Brocario (I have my reasons.)
Male (Mega) Absol: Archangel (This one should be obvious.)

I am not sexist in that my whole team is male, I simply see all the Pokémon on my team to look male. I am OCD about Pokéballs and gender.

manske90

My X version playthrough went like this:

Trainer: Aegon (Dressed in red and black clothes)

Hydreigon - Balerion (The Black Dread)
Salamence - Vhagar
Goodra - Rhaegal
Mega Charizard-X - Drogon (Would have liked this one to be shiny from the start, but oh well, the Mega gets the color change regardless)
Dragonite - Viserion
Garchomp - Meraxes

Bred them all with perfect natures, abilities, and IVs on my Y version and traded them over to start my conquest of Westeros-Errr, Kalos. :p

Last edited:

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
I have a theme going for some of the latest teams I'm building. Right now, I have a TV character theme, the show being Fringe.

Gardevoir -- Olivia
Garchomp -- Peter
Aggron -- John Scott
Skarmory -- Philip
Roserade -- Astrid
Rotom wash -- Walter

jupitol

Hybrid pokemon! ^`_^
In X we've started with a chespin called Brynjar

But for Y we have more a welsh/Nordic theme going

Peredus the Greninja (his name is based on things like "Peredur", welsh heros)
Heithrun the Gogoat (her name is drawn from the goat of the Norse gods)
Aethelstan the Tyrantrum (she has an awesome name, even if it is masculine. "noble stone")
Dyllanw the Dragalge (his name comes from the roots of the name "Dylan", "great tide")
Valdis the pumpkaboo (because the pokemon world apparently only has accented 'e's, so she didn't get to have the appropriate accented 'i' that would take it from being the masculine "rule" to the feminine "the dead's goddess")

HM master Kalla the dragonite (shiny)
(she's also named wrong because there are only accent 'e's and nothing else. SHOULD have 'ä' as the second letter. Only one named in Swedish, and named in tribute to shiny female extremespeed dragonair I had in Crystal. Means spring/fountain)(even if I always forget that given the fact it's Swedish the 'k' is a 'sh' sound)

(why can't we have the option of accents no matter the language *sulks*)