• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

Vesperian

I am in possession of a female Gengar I nicknamed Shengar. I have a Hypno nicknamed Interloper on the count of its morbid habit of consuming your dreams. A Murkrow named Mischief (they sure look mischievous..) and last but not least a Poliwrath named Jolliwrath. (Needn't explain right? :) )

Sora Prince

Little Brother
I'm not good at nicknaming. But if I were to battle online, I would surely nickname my pokemon for the opponent to see. It does create a bond, but I just prefer to leave them without nicknames if I use them in-game. I do sometimes ponder on nicknames for pokemon I do raise though, for fun.
I always thought Simisage could be nicknamed "Grandpa" since he reminds me of an old man or if a young poke, then "Joseph".
I once nicknamed a Quagsire "Who Else But?" for the reference to "Who else but Quagmire?"
Kenya is a fitting name to Spearow but I really dislike Fearow so I don't think it fits it when evolved >:p

Tattooed Tooth

So many flags!
Kiruria always have some smart references. =]
I liked McYerba's ones too

Female Phantump: Isabella, reminded me of a old stuffed animal I had that I, lost in the woods. ._____.
Aww. .-.

Reverse the Psyduck (Because Psyduck and Golduck need their names switched!)
Haha, that's nice!

My Speed Boost team is named after various characters:
  • Ninjask (male) = Keiichi, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (higurashi = cicada)
  • Garchomp (male) = Finn, Adventure Time (wordplay due to his dorsal fin)
  • Chandelure (male) = Lumière, Disney's The Beauty and the Beast
  • Nidoking = Kamina, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
  • Azumarill (female) = Bubbles, PPG
  • Hitmonlee = Goenji, Inazuma Eleven

Clovaria

I have a habit of naming my Eevee and its evolutions after birds. It started with my Umbreon on X, Jay. So yeah, I nickname all my Pokemon, though I didn't in Platinum, only my team on White has names (after video game characters), basically everything BUT my team on White 2, and everything on SoulSilver and any other game in the series I played after. I feel all weird if I don't name them.

Tattooed Tooth

So many flags!
So, after starting my shiny hunts, I decided to name the shiny pokémon I catch as well.

Lampent = Deep Purple (because of the purple fire), not evolving because not competitive =/
Wingull = Aquamarine (the stripes on wings have the same color as the gem)
Houndour = Nubia (the name somehow reminds me of the blue color, + Anubis reference)
Cottonee = Xuxinha (national reference), not sure if it remains as that after evolving...

Carcara

Mismagius - Nashandra - a boss from Dark Souls 2.She's some kind of evil woman with dar powers, so the nickname matches.
Metagross - Shagohod - a soviet tank from Metal Gear Solid 3. It fires nukes. And has rocket engines. And legs.
Golurk - Megatron - Decepticon leader from Transformers.
Hydreigon- King Ghidorah - three headed winged dragon, Godzilla's enemy.

Shinehollow

Turning that frown all the way down
I had a nicknaming theme of "colours" on Y,so here are some of my shiny Pokemon's nicknames.Not all necessarily named after colours.

Wingull/Peliper-Lime
Mareep/Flaafy/Ampharos-Purple
Wismur/Loudred/Exploud-Periwinkle
Magikarp/Gyrados-Goldeneye
Corphish/Crawdaunt-F.L.U.D.D.(She's a girl,and F.L.U.D.D. sounds like a girl to me)
Barboach-Whiskas(She has whiskers,and I lack creativity)

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Team I'm testing on Showdown:

Charizard Y: Charizard X
Vensaur: Venus de Vinestho
Garchomp: Michelle Bachmann
Smeargle: Francis Bacon
Talonflame: Tuck Frickroom
Klefki: Keykey's Delivery

Cannot be stopped.

devilmonkey

ROWROWFightDaPOWAH
What's a good nickname for a (male) Noivern?

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Lampent = Deep Purple (because of the purple fire)
This strikes me as kind of funny since Deep Purple is also the name of a band.

Corphish/Crawdaunt-F.L.U.D.D.(She's a girl,and F.L.U.D.D. sounds like a girl to me)
Barboach-Whiskas(She has whiskers,and I lack creativity)

LOL on F.L.U.D.D. Funny enough, I have a Barboach named Whiskas too.

Vensaur: Venus de Vinestho
Garchomp: Michelle Bachmann
Smeargle: Francis Bacon
Talonflame: Tuck Frickroom
Klefki: Keykey's Delivery

How do these names even fit? As I recall, nicknames can only be 12 characters long... maybe you abbreviate them or something?

What's a good nickname for a (male) Noivern?

I named mine Batman... you know, since he evolves from a bat and looks all cool and black. I think it's a pretty good name. Na na na na na na na na... Noivern! XD You could also try Nightfury (it's a black dragon after all) - though I've seen other dragons with that name too (I usually give it to Hydreigon).

So I just caught/bred a whole bunch of Pokemon for Pokedex completion, and continued my habit of giving everyone nicknames. Here are some of the ones I came up with (red = female, blue = male, black = genderless):

Dugtrio: Holy Moley
Electrode: Explodium
Lickitung: Raspberry (if you know what "blowing a raspberry" is, you'll understand why)
Zoroark: Furina (a Roman goddess associated with thievery and crime in general)
Fearow: Fake Ho-oh
Wobbuffet: Punching Bag
Wynaut: RiteBackAtYa (when it evolves it specializes in retaliation)
Mareep: Lumina
Doduo: Roadrunner
Wingull: Smee (Captain Hook's first mate)
Ariados: Shelob (the giant spider in Lord of the Rings)
Tentacool: Cruella
Magnemite: Faraday
Lombre: Macarena
Monferno: Hanuman (from the tale of the Monkey King)

Also, in my last post I described my Dangan Ronpa-themed team... Since then, I obtained three more Pokemon who fit the theme:
Monokuma the Spinda (after the demented villanous teddy bear, since Spinda acts all crazy - and the character is black and white, like a panda)
Hifumi the Munchlax (the character is an obese otaku and has some catlike features on his face)
Togami the Ditto (the character has an impostor in the second game)

Last edited:

XXD17

Draco rex
I thoroughly enjoy nicknaming pokemon that I breed...I often name the rejects as well and send them off on wonder trade...some have been...

Sandiles named Sebek (Sobek apparently isn't an allowed name)
White flabebes named Antoinette
Farfetch'ds with leaf blade named Pate
Absols with play rough named Lucy and Lucifer respectively
Magikarps named Skullkrusher
Clefables named Stella and Supah Starr
Sableyes with recover named Loki
Chatots with boom burst named Iago
Whismurs named Amplitude
Male Chimchars named Wukong
Froakies named with Mizunobi or Gekko-Maru
Honedges named Bloodlust
Ferrothorns with leech seed and rocks named Barbara or Thornton respectively
Rotoms named Mr. Clean (meant to be wash)
Female scythers (yes specifically female) named Mikasa
Female banettes (also specifically female) named Harime Nui
Omanytes named Lord Helix
Goomies named Grapes
Vullabies with foul play named Carrie
Chinchous named Headlights
Togepis named Gabriel or Angela respectively
Bronzors named Gohdan
Sneasels with ice punch named Cold Claws
Female snorunts named Elsa
Sigilyphs with psycho shift named Nazca
Slowpokes named Albert and Alberta respectively
Skrelps named Red Tide
Gibles with outrage named Ryuko and Dracharias respectively
Female Tropius with leech seed named Bananarama
Female venonats named Gypsy
Marills with belly drum and aqua jet named Bubble jet
Eevees with wish named Albacore (vaporeon), Midnight (Umbreon) and Fabio (Sylveon)
Bidoofs with quick attack named Bieber
Cubchoos named Nanuk
Female phantumps named Gma Willow
Kangaskhans named Mega Mama
Tyrunts with dragon dance named Mega Rex
Solosis named Schwann and Schwanna respectively
Golettes named Titan
Frillish name U Jelly?
Phanpies with ice shard named Maximus
Female duckletts named Odette
Taillows with brave bird named Tsubama
Female Bunearies named Holly
Male riolus with bullet punch and crunch named Anubis
Corphish with aqua jet, d-dance and superpower named Hotpot
Female Gothitas named Bella
Male Natus named Argus
Aerodactyls named Paleo
Female Espurr named Ms. Meow and males named Cinder
Gligars named Scissorhands
Female scrafties named Lady Thug
Electrikes named Lobolectric
Male Fletchlings named Horus
Dratinis named Ryujin (E-speed sweepers) or females named Long Mu (Special walls)
Noibats named Nosferatu or Stellaluna respectively
Smeargles named Frida and Pablo respectively
Female drifloons named Loona
Yamask named Pharaoh and Nefertiti respectively

Last edited:

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
Well I name lots of pokemon that i breed usually ones that have 4 ivs and i wonder trade them off

Swirlix-Frosting
Dedenne-Jerry
Shroomish-Spores

And many others

Tattooed Tooth

So many flags!
This strikes me as kind of funny since Deep Purple is also the name of a band.
That was intentional, I like to name my pokémon after bands/singers. Also, "Burn" is one of the best songs from Deep Purple. xD

Here are more examples:
  • Weavile = ACDC (because Black Ice)
  • (female) Ferrothorn = Iron Maiden
  • (female) Whimsicott = Kyary (because PON PON)
  • (female) Jumpluff = Pamyu Pamyu (PON PON again)
  • (male) Typhlosion = Levine (as hot as Adam =P)
  • (HA) Heliolisk = Smash Mouth (because Walking on the Sun)
  • Porygon Z = Daft Punk
  • (female) Hydreigon = Siouxie

Oh, and I still like your nicknames. x)

Well I nicknamed a few of my pokemon. I nicknamed all the ones in my first playthrough in X.
Chesnaught: chevalier; means knight in French and Kalos is based on France, so makes sense.
Aegislash: Hasting; derived from the battle of Hastings 1066, another reference to France.
Tyrantrum: Jupiter; roman king of the gods, T-Rex have a royalty characteristic.
Malamar: Cthulhu; this ones a bit obvious.
Talonflame: Blitzkrieg; means lighting war in another language (can't remember which one). He's fast so you see where I'm going.
Blastoise: Hydrodunamis; Greek for water power :D
Gardevoir: Hlin; Norse godess of consolation and protection.
Ampharos: Thor; Norse god of lighting and goats.
Mawile: Loki; Norse god of deceit.
Gyarados: Njord; Norse god of the sea.
Lucario: Forseti; Norse god of justice peace and truth.

Let's see...Most of mine are nicknamed randomly. And I mean really random. I think I had a charizard named Salad in FireRed. I also think I had a Clafable named Futon. My Fav pokémon in Y are currently:

• male Sylveon "Manly Man." because you'll never see a pokémon more masculine than the pink fairy type with bows and ribbons on it's bunny ears.
•Female Swanna "Bubbles" pretty self explanatory. It's a water type.
•Male Raichu "Parsley" captured as a Pikachu, wanted a cute name that started with P.
• Shiny Male Delphox "Kimber" Cool name. Not only is it a gun, but it also sounds like a cross between kindle and ember.
• Male Chesnaught "Pinecone"...because it looks like a pinecone...

Others include:
Arcanine "Bear",
Hypno "Anubis",
Ampharos "Bella",
Feraligatr "Ghost" (but only because "Ferali-ali-ali-gatr" wouldn't fit, even though it's more fun to say)
and Charizard "Cartard"...because it came from GTS like that...

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
When I battle on simulators, I always nickname my pokémon to alleviate the disconnection with my pokémon I feel there.

Crystagon

I always nickname my Pokemon whenever I find a good name.

Blastoise(Mega)(M): Mega Buster (Mega Man's weapon of choice, which is basically an arm cannon.);
Arcanine(M):Fidelis(Latin for 'Loyal'; since Growlithe and Arcanine are very loyal to their trainer, it fits);
Gyarados(M):Mr. Fish (It's a reference to a webcomic, but I don't remember its name);
Vaporeon(F):Thetis (A sea nymph, according to Greek mythology);
Umbreon(F)(Shiny):Luna (Italian for 'Moon');
Sableye(M):Gollum (Character from 'Lord of the Rings');
Flygon(F):Terra (A character from 'Teen Titans' who had ground related powers and goggles, just like Flygon's eyes);
Banette(Mega)(M):Voodoo;
Lucario(M):Anubis (Jackal-headed Egyptian god of the dead);
Porygon-Z(-):Battle.exe;
Rotom-W(-):Washington;
Ferrothorn(F): Ms. Cuddles (Cuz it's so fluffy and cuddly!);
Chandelure(F): Lumine (Latin for 'Light');
Bisharp(M): Checkmate (Since Bisharp (or its name at least) is based on the bishop chess piece, I thought the name would fit quite perfectly);
Chesnaught(M):Guardian (Chesnaught is based on a knight, who often guarded something or someone);
Greninja(M): Siarnaq (A reference to a character in Mega Man ZX Advent, who is basically a ninja);
Aegislash(F)(Shiny): Mourneblade (In Castlevania: SOTN, the Mourneblade is a weapon that steals the enemies' souls(read: heals only 8 Hp every hit), just like the Honedge line steals souls);