• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
Some of my favorite nicknames for pokemon recently have been Footloose for my Cinderrace, James Bond my Intelleon, and DonkeyKong for my Rillaboom. I also have a Toxtricity named We built (this city).

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
I have only nicknamed one throughout my 18 years of playing. I SR'ed a shiny Raikou in HeartGold, and because of the intense time investment, I wanted to make sure its name was correct for when I transferred it up, so I uncapitalized the letters, changing it from RAIKOU to Raikou. It looks cleaner and follows the naming conventions of the newer games.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I tend to only use nicknames in specific playthroughs whenever I wanna follow a specific theme.

In my recent playthrough of Platinum Version I named all my Pokemon after constellations or stars in the night sky. Some of the most notable members being:

Polaris the Empoleon = Polaris is often called the north star, also since it's a penguin and found in colder climates so "polar" is fitting.
Orion the Lucario = Often called Orions belt due to a line of stars. But in mythology Orion is a mighty hunter and warrior whom Zeus favored. It seemed like a fitting name for Lucario who's a fighting type.

Vulcan the Typhlosion
Thor the Pikachu
Hercules the Heracross
Freya the Eevee/Espeon

Last edited:

MOTOSTOKES

in my first pokemon game, pokemon y, I encountered a venipede which I didn't think much of for some reason. I just kinda assumed it'd be a typical early-game bug type like weedle or something, so I jokingly named him "not useless". I threw him in the pc for a while, until I randomly decided to try using him a bit later in the game. that's when I realized how awesome venipede's line is, especially when he evolved into a scolipede. he eventually became a primary member of the team.

KierTronik

Oshawott is bab
From now on I'm going to name all my Mudkips Mud Chicken.

NPC

sleep researcher
I always nickname my non-legendaries, but never my legendaries. Dunno if I'm the only one who does that.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
This Gen, I have a Rock 'n Roll Hall of Famers theme.

I'm thinking I want to do a Rapper theme next games/Gen.

With all the Chinese Zodiac Fire Starters left, that's a smidge easier.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I always nickname my non-legendaries, but never my legendaries. Dunno if I'm the only one who does that.
There was a puzzle in ORAS to get to Regigigas to nickname Regice, so I named mine "Philbin".

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Usually I don't nickname Legendaries, the only exceptions are Solgaleo and Lunala in the Crown Tundra, with Lunala I kept the name "Fwoofy" that the old lady calls the Cosmog before she gives it to you, and with Solgaleo I just called it Nebby as a Gen 7 throwback.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I’ve done some music references as of late. My Frosmoth is named Arjen, after Ahrix’s real name. My Galarian Rapidash is named Rezz, after the bass artist. Back in gen 7, I named a Solgaleo after my favorite music artist, Getsix. Most of the time, though, I just give them names based off of their species name. I have Ileon the Inteleon, ZentalI the Zamazenta, Iani the Zacian, and Rillio the Rillaboom, to name a few.

Fred Garvin

Drone Pilot
Only the 'mons I intend to keep with no possibility of a trade, and I will use frequently.

Ol' Blue is my longtime friend Lucario from X/Y.
Flamestryke, Charizard from X/Y
Frostbyte, Aurorus from X/Y
Darkfyre, my new shiny Charizard from Shield.
Pocahantas, my Hawlucha catcher mon (now replaced with a Gallade w/ False,Hypno,SunnyD)

The names Flamestryke and Frostbyte come from decades ago, playing Ultima Online. I had 2 dragons, a Fire named Flamestryke and an Ice named Frostbyte. They were my dungeon sweepers. I was a Legendary Animal Tamer/Animal Lore/Mage and used to catch, train, and sell dragons at the Bank.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
During my various Sword and Shield playthroughs, I ended up getting pretty creative with nicknames. Some names I brought back for Pokemon I was using again (Brightstar the Lanturn, Sakura the Sylveon, Rafael the Venusaur and Gipsy Danger the Golurk), but for some others I ended up looking into really deep, obscure parts of history and culture for suitable names. I ended up using a lot of historical names in one Sword/Isle of Armour playthrough, calling my Sobble "Simo" after Simo Häyhä (a Finnish military sniper from World War II) because of Gigantamax Inteleon's sniper theme, and my Hatterene "Isobel" after Isobel Gowdie (a real life witch from 17th Century Scotland) mostly because I wanted to give her a really unique witch-themed name.

Madison M

I'm terrible with nicknames, but I'm playing Emerald and ended up with naming everything after Animal Crossing characters.

Shrunk the Marshtomp. Dr Shrunk and Mudkip are both axolotls.
Kapp'n the Lombre. I always nickname this line Kapp'n (including my shiny Ludicolo) because both are kappas.
Nook the Zigzagoon. Both are tanukis.
Raddle the Swalot. Raddle is lazy and loves to eat, and he's a poison dart frog.
Snake the Nincada. Snake is a ninja, and he just left my town yesterday.
Static the Electrike. None of the dogs' names fit very well, so I used a squirrel instead. If only I had a Pachirisu.
Caroline the Aron. There wasn't anybody similar enough to Aron, but Caroline does contain "aro" and an n, so close enough.

I also plan on getting:
Nat the Flygon. It's buglike, and Nat loves bugs. Though actually Nat works better with Kecleon (both are chameleons), but I really want to use Flygon and I like the name Nat for it.
Wisp the Shedinja. Wisp is ghostlike.
Label the Groudon, Mabel the Kyogre, and Sable the Rayquaza. It's just a group of three characters. Sable is specifically Rayquaza because she's the oldest and raised her sisters.
Castform. I don't know a good name for it though. Maybe Skye after the cloud-themed wolf, but I was also considering an Altaria. Maybe Blanca because of its forms and Blanca being good at disguises, though that works better with Ditto...

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Yogi the Ursaring.

That's all I need to say.

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
I started nicknaming my Pokemon since the 3DS games, never did for the older games, and I don't own a Switch.

X Team
Wanda♀ the Delphox, for Marvel's Scarlet Witch.
Polaris♀ the Aurorus, for the southern lights.
Itchy the Heliolisk, for its Dri Skin ability.
Cloak the Trevenant, for being shadowy and OAK, duh.
Alicia♀ the Klefki, for Alicia Keys.
Bearthe Goodra, for "goomy" bear and because he's so huggable as in "bear hug".

Y Team
Froggo the Greninja, like doggo but with frog.
Robyn♀ the Talonflame, because Fletchling is a Robin.
Billythe Gogoat, as in billy goat.
Jawnathan♂ the Tyrantrum, need I explain it?
Twinkles♀ the Sylveon, just felt cute enough.
SirSlashALot♂ the Aegislash, also no need to explain it.

OmegaRuby Team
Mawnica♀ the Mawile (mega), self-explanatory pun.
Bruce♂ the Sharpedo, for the Jaws film animatronic shark.
Kumiko♀ the Froslass, for the Karate Kid II character.
Darius♂ the Camerupt, short for "dromedarius".
Joules♀ the Ampharos (mega), another pun of the common name.
Chongo♂ the Breloom, well I speak spanish and "chongo" is a word
that means, I guess, "hunk"? Also contains "hongo" which is shroom in spanish.

AlphaSapphire Team
Rosalinda♀ the Roserade, named after Thalia's tv show Rosalinda, which translates to "pretty rose".
PsyKick♂ the Medicham (mega), pun for psychic.
Sandra♀ the Flygon, pretty proud of this pun. It's a sand dragon!
Castiel the Shedinja, for Supernatural's angel Castiel, who always wore a brown trenchcoat.
India♀ the Houndoom (mega), for a female dog pet of a friend of mine.
Big Boom♂ the Walrein, for Mythbuster's Jamie Hyneman. Their coworkers said
he looked like a walrus, and one of his catchphrases was "Jamie wants big boom"

Sun Team
Ariana♀ the Primarina, for the famous pop singer.
White Fang♂ the Lycanroc, for the famous novel.
Synthia♀ the Tsareena, obvious pun is obvious.
Secretariat♂ the Mudsdale, for the famous horse.
Lizzie♀ the Salazzle, pretty and simple.
Falkor♂ the Drampa, for the Neverending Story dragon.

UltraMoon Team
Chalito♂ the Incineroar, my cat's nickname.
Sam♂ the Toucannon, basic Fruit Loops reference lol.
Bruno♂ the Togedemaru, name of a pet hamster I had years ago.
Kokomo♂ the Kommo-o, obvious reference to the Beach Boys hit song.
Chucky♂ the Mimikyu, for the possessed doll in Child's play.
Piper♀ the Toxapex, she's the only girl on the team and uhm, if you know the meme, you know.

Sorry for the long post!

Last edited:

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I've started playing Pokemon Go this week, and nicknaming any Pokemon I catch with CP higher than 900, the things I use the most in Gyms and stuff. Some examples are:
- Aggron, "The Metal", in reference to the Tenacious D song.
- female Pyroar, "Savannah", the same name I gave to Pyroar in a Y playthrough I did.
- Miltank, "Jersey", after my favourite breed of cow.
- Mr. Mime, "Bobble", named after SCP-993 - Bobble the Clown
- Seviper, "Habu", a Japanese viper species.
- Sawk, "Xiaodong", named after Chinese mixed martial artist Xu Xiaodong
- Swellow, "Rusty", a play on Hirundo Rustica, the latin name for barn swallows.

Eventually I'm going to transfer all of these and possibly more to Pokemon Home once I'm tired with the game. I've done it with Bobble already, but I noticed that the transfer didn't keep his nickname. From what I've heard you apparently can change a transferred Go Pokemon's nickname in Sword and Shield, so I might start up a new Shield save file to test that out. Of course Savannah, Habu and Rusty will have to stay until those Pokemon are back in the main series.

Last edited:

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I've started playing Pokemon Go this week, and nicknaming any Pokemon I catch with CP higher than 900, the things I use the most in Gyms and stuff. Some examples are:
- Aggron, "The Metal", in reference to the Tenacious D song.
- female Pyroar, "Savannah", the same name I gave to Pyroar in a Y playthrough I did.
- Miltank, "Jersey", after my favourite breed of cow.
- Mr. Mime, "Bobble", named after SCP-993 - Bobble the Clown
- Seviper, "Habu", a Japanese viper species.
- Sawk, "Xiaodong", named after Chinese mixed martial artist Xu Xiaodong
- Swellow, "Rusty", a play on Hirundo Rustica, the latin name for barn swallows.

Eventually I'm going to transfer all of these and possibly more to Pokemon Home once I'm tired with the game. I've done it with Bobble already, but I noticed that the transfer didn't keep his nickname. From what I've heard you apparently can change a transferred Go Pokemon's nickname in Sword and Shield, so I might start up a new Shield save file to test that out. Of course Savannah, Habu and Rusty will have to stay until those Pokemon are back in the main series.
You can change a Go mon’s name, provided it’s yours and didn’t come from the GTS. No need to start a new save.

StolenMadWolf

First post!

Well, it kinda depends on the circumstances if I do nickname. I do tend to give my fire type starters names meaning fire or quite literally meaning fire. Ember, Aithine, stuff like that. I did name one Mon after an old friend of mine.

That being said, in PMD games I tend to nickname Pokemon with shortened versions of their existing names. A few silly names do creep in from time to time but it is quick and easy.