• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Offical Nickname Discussion thread

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
The nicknames for my latest Shining Pearl playthrough:
- Torterra, "Frank", named after Frank the Tortoise, a character from Aardman animations
- Crobat, "Mindwipe", named after the Transformers character
- Gardevoir, "Serenity", the same name I gave to Gardevoir in an Omega Ruby playthrough I did in 2015.
- Rapidash, "Nova", the same name I gave to Rapidash in a Platinum playthrough I did in 2012.
- Luxray, "Cecil", named after Cecil the Lion
- Floatzel, "Dratsie", an old Scottish word for otter

corruptZ

i started the game with dragon warrior rpg. you can imagine how limited the available rows are. limitations become a unique name.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
A few nicknames for my team members in Legends: Arceus (currently at Colbalt Coastlands)

- Dewott, "Masamune", after the famous Japanese swordsmith
- Crobat, "Yuri", after a character from Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Luxray, "Pandoria", after Zeke's main Blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- Roselia, "Floren", after a Blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that also has a flower-like theme
- Drilblim, "Azami", also after a Blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
- Graveler, "Craglance", after the rock creature that is part the Forces of Nature in Kid Icarus: Uprising

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
These are a few nicknames for my team in my Sinnoh-Hisui playthrough (I'm up to Celestic Town and just cleared the Crimson Mirelands). All the pokémon caught in Brilliant Diamond are named after Japanese athletes (or stuff related to sports), while the pokémon caught in Legends: Arceus are named after the Kamuy (or anything related to them & the Ainu):
  • Monferno, "Megumi"- after mixed martial artist Megumi Fuji
  • Roserade, "Mirai"- short for Miraitowa, the mascot of the Tokyo Olympics, who was given as plushies along with the bouquets winners received.
  • Manaphy, "Kenzo"- after gymnast Kenzo Shirai. He had the nickname "The Twist Prince," so I thought it'd work with Manaphy's nickname as "The Prince of the Sea."
  • Rampardos, "Taku"- after Japanese NFL player Taku Lee
  • Gliscor, "Seiko"- after Japanese glider Seiko Fukuoka
  • Dewott, "Repun"- after Repun-Kamuy, the Ainu god of the sea.
  • Stantler, "Inau"- after the wood shaving sticks used in Ainu rituals. I couldn't find a Kamuy to name Stantler after, but I thought it would be a reference to Wyrdeer are sacred to Hisu and how Stantler's Japanese named is based on a shishi-odoshi, which is a scarecrow for deer since they’re both named after objects.
  • Yanma, “Hoyau”- After Hoyau Kamuy, a flying dragon found near swampy areas. I thought it’d work since Yanma’s a dragonfly that can be caught in swamps & marshes

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Has anyone here named one of their Ghost-types Scratch yet?

Waqtnhi

Just haven't really felt the need I guess. Except for the Tranquill I caught, but it's not a very nice nickname. I was frustrated with it at the time...

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
The nicknames for my current Scarlet team:

- Meowscarada, "Mary Jane", slang for marijuana, in reference to the "Weed Cat" memes that came about when Sprigatito was first revealed.
- Kilowattrel, "Buzzsaw", named after the Transformers character.
- Armarouge, "Hot Shot", again, named after the Transformers character
- Dragalge, "Kelpie", both because it fits with Dragalge's theme, and as a reference to the sea monster of the same name from Celtic mythology.
- Combat Breed Paldea Tauros, "Galloway", named after the cow breed.
- Vaporeon, "Amphitrite", named after the Greek goddess of the sea and wife of Poseidon.

LikeADragon

I nickname every Pokemon I catch. I've only recently started doing this, however.

Some of my more notable nicknames in my Scarlet playthrough:
  • Houndoom, "Viktor," a reference to MF DOOM's pseudonym
  • Fletchling, "Zazu," a reference to the Lion King character
  • Sprigatito, "Korin," a reference to the Dragon Ball character
  • Hatenna, "Alice," a reference to the story Alice in Wonderland. The concept of the Pokemon reminded me of the (Mad) Hatter.
  • Sneasel, "Logan," a reference to the X-Men character otherwise known as Wolverine.
  • Varoom, "Dyson," a reference to the company that sells vacuum cleaners. I honestly thought this Pokemon was supposed to be a vacuum when i first saw it.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
90% of my S/V Pokemon are unnamed, but I do have a couple

Flamigo: "Flamiga" (because it's female)
Fidough: "Puppernickle"
Miraidon: "Slimy"
Azumarill: "Moxie"

The first 6 star raid that I ever did was a Salamance with it's hidden ability, "Moxie." After killing my NPCs numerous times, it's attack was at +4, and it one-shot me twice cutting my timer considerably. Azumarill was able to break the shield before its stats were reset. A series of Aqua Jets finally took the Salamance down just before it was about to blow me out of the den. Azumarill's full name is, "Moxie the Dragon Slayer"

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
My latest Violet team:
- Skeledirge - "Gustave", named after the legendary giant crocodile from Burundi.
- Clawitzer - "Pinchy", a reference to that Simpsons episode where Homer gets a pet lobster named Pinchy.
- Dachsbun - "Coffee", named after my friend's dog.
- Medicham - "Ong-Bak", named after the classic martial arts movie.
- Arboliva - "Lucia", short for Andalucia, the region of Spain that Paldea's South Province is based on.
- Clodsire - "Toadfish", a reference to Jared "Toadfish" Rebecci from the soap opera Neighbours.

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
I nicknamed my Koraidon "Herodotus", after a historical figure who was known as "The Father of History".

I also nicknamed my Scream Tail "Mimi", my (female) Bellibolt "Princess" and my (male) Annihilape "Erebus".

zolios

I don't think I'm good or original with my nicknames but I do like to nickname my playthrough (or other special) Pokemon since it makes them stand out from the rest of their species that I might catch and keep in my Pokedex collection. Also it even helps me differentiate them if I use the same species of Pokemon in multiple different palythrough.

I'll only share my nicknamed Pokemon from Violet since it's the newest and most relevant game rn.

My final and main 6 playthrough Pokemon from Violet:
- Popeye the Quaquaval (expected the Quaxly line to keep going with the sailor theme instead of turning into dancers so I named mine after the famous cartoon sailor, still kinda fits imo)
- Thunderclap the Kilowattrel (named after the first Thunder breathing form Thunderclap and Flash)
- Kazan the Kingambit (named after Kazan Yamaoka, the Oni from Dead by Daylight)
- Kawhi the Toedscruel (named after Kawhi Leonard the NBA player since he famously said that he is a "fun guy", an old meme from his time in Toronto, fun guy also sound like fungi and that was the first thing that came to mind when I was naming my Toedscool so I went with it)
- Helios the Volcarona (named after the ancient Greek god Helios, god and personification of the Sun)
- Dogor the Houndstone (Dogor was the name given to a super well preserved 18,000 years old puppy that was found back in 2018, Houndstone line is a Ghost type and Dogor was the name given to an ancient dead puppy and I think it also means "friend" in a local language where the puppy remains were found so it made sense to me to name my Greavard that)

Other special Pokemon I named in Violet, the ones I use the most for online battles:
- Goldmember the Gholdengo (named after Goldmember from Austin Powers movie, not original at all since I think a lot of people name their Gholdengos this but I might be wrong)
- Kal-El the shiny Palafin (named after Superman, another common and not very original name but it fits great imo so I didn't care about being original)

Last edited:

Morp

My team from my recent play of Pokemon VIolet:

Niaoha the Meowscarada (my japanese partner named him haha)
Eclipse the Ceruledge (just sounds cool lol)
Jackal the Lucario (kind of looks like Anubis the Egyptian God, who also had the head of a Jackal)
Juggerfrost the Cetitan (I mixed the words Juggernaught and Frost together, and wanted to create a name that emphasised its mighty size)
Yuna the Gardevoir (named after Yuna from FF-X, and also she is my waifu :p )
Bahamut the Salamence (named after the summon from the Final Fantasy series)

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
Gholdengo 1: (Ghost Tera) "Spooky" Self explanatory
Gholdengo 2: (Steel Tera) "The Dude" Its aesthetic and vibe remind me of Jeff Lebowski. Ironically, much like its namesake, The Dude gets into trouble when I confuse it for the other one and throw it into a raid meant for Spooky.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Some nicknames from my most recent Scarlet and Violet playthrough:

I re-used some names from earlier playthroughs: Mary-Jane the Meowscarada, Hot Shot the Armarouge, Amphitrite the Vaporeon, Galloway the Paldean Tauros, Buzzsaw the Kilowattrel and Lucia the Arboliva, and the newer ones are:

- Hisuian Zoroark - Montague - named after classic ghost story writer Montague Rhodes James
- Mudsdale - Boxer - named after the ill-fated horse from George Orwell's Animal Farm
- Tinkaton - Ironforge - a reference to Warcraft
- Garganacl - Cubix - Does anyone remember that show?
- Palafin - Ocean Man - Take me by the hand, take me to the land, that you understand
- Quaquaval - Raoul - Quaquaval's dancing animations reminded me of this old TV ad for Irn Bru:
- Delphox - Bellatrix - named after Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter
- Gogoat - Capricorn - the same name I gave to Gogoat in one of the first X and Y playthroughs I did.
- Mamoswine - Martha - named after the mammoth from Prehistoric Park, an old mockumentary series about a dinosaur safari park.
- Bellibolt - Freddo - named after these frog-shaped chocolate bars that Cadbury make.
- Skeledirge - Gustavo - slightly altered from the previous name of Gustave, in reference to the adopted baby crocodile from my favourite YouTube channel, the Urban Rescue Ranch.
- Noivern - Batrick - a reference to another YouTube channel I like, Natural Habitat Shorts:

Early Riser

Do you nickname your pokemon

Official by Nutter t.kk

Nicknames are sign of Uniqueness, make you Pokémon stand out from the crowd.

This is the place to discuss your Pokémon's nicknames.

I've created this thread after many starting threads about them.

Rules:
  1. GPD Rules and Serebii Forums Rules still apply.
  2. When Listing your Pokémon please give reasons behind the name. - For Example: ;181; Decker (Named after the main character in "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick, as it's line are all Electric Sheep.)
  3. No Pure Team listing. You can't just post a list of Pokémon with their nicknames, you most comment on them.
  4. Rude and Offensive names/teams are not allowed. You can earn infraction points and your post edit or deleted.
  5. You can talk about the nicknames Pokémon you receive in trades. (Example:;021; KENYA - Why did Webster named his Pokémon after a African country? (This is an ingame "trade" in HGSS))
  6. If the name features letters not common to US/UK Keyboards. You should post a Translation, as not all Visitors can see Non-english Characters.
    1. For Korean and Japanese names: Please state the how it sounds in "English" - :052: かット (Cat or more accurately Kaatu) - English word "cat" written in Japanese.)
    2. "Dingbat" characters (☺♀♂♠♣♥♦) should be treated like Japanese names, as you can "type" almost all of them as they appear in game. You can use a Windows program called Character Map (installed with most copies of Windows), or copy paste from other places for these ones that you can't type. Mac and Linux users could have similar Program to Character Map. (PM Nutter t.kk to tell him about them, I do have access to those Os, but I don't use them often) So ☺♀♂♠♣♥♦ is (Simley face) (Female) (Male) (Spades) (Clubs) (Hearts) (Diamonds)
  7. Only a single Pokémon Smiley per nickname. The Faces are allowed as they're symbols in the games.
  8. Do not ask for help with the games.

Just for convenience. Here is locations of all known Name Raters.

• Lavender Town in Kanto
  • Goldenrod City in Johto
  • Slateport City in Hoenn
  • Agate Village in Orre
  • Eterna City in Sinnoh
  • Castelia City in Unova

The Orignial post below

so do you nick name your pokemons??
if yes let people over here know the best of the nick names you have given...
:)
Well I always Name my Swampert Mudsiah because I think Swamperts so awesome it’s God like I don’t have many G rated names but my most wholesome name has to be my Samurot (definitely not how it’s spelled) Og who is named after my stuffed Otter I had as long as I can remember there’s also Chompina the Mawile which is one of my favorites next to CrocsTM the Feraligator named after the shoes we all had as kids and finally in my first and current XY Playthrough there’s honorary Teammate Afterwile the Krookodile named after the popular phrase I think you can guess which