• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtra

You will be missed:(
I'm considering breeding my Grovyle, so I have some Treeco's to trade when I go to JAA in a couple of months. The only thing is, I'm not sure who to breed her with. I want someone taht will give good IV's to her kids, so I'm giving them something worth what they're trading me.

I have 3 choices:Aron, Whismur, and Seviper. Below are their IV ranges. None of them should have egg moves to pass on, so I'm not worried about that.

---

Aron

HP:12-23
Attack:27-31
Defence:23-31
Sp. Attack:9-20
Sp. Defence:20-31
Speed:0-18

---

Whismur

HP:22-31
Attack:0-15
Defence:21-31
Sp. Attack:15-31
Sp. Defence:4-21
Speed:0-11

---
Seviper

HP:14-21
Attack:0-7
Defence:14-20
Sp. Attack:20-27
Sp. Defence:20-27
Speed:10-17

---

Any answers?

Whompithian

Dynamo Trainer
Ice Cold Glalie said:
is there a list for the amount of ev's a pokemon gets for battling a pokemon in emerald and what's the best level to start EV training

ICG
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/hp.shtml

There are links along the top to other EV groups. As for training, start as soon as you obtain your Pokemon. Use Exp. Share/switching out until it is strong enough to fend for itself, then attach Macho Brace and finish the job. You can Effort Train at any time and end up with the same results, but I prefer to get as early a start on it as possible so that I can concentrate on leveling without haveing to worry about contaminating my EVs.

Pokemon trainer Jeremy

<I will find you!
i want HP for my newly hatched speal LV 5 i give my macho brace to salamence give speal expshare and go into victory road and fight haryamas and loudreads when it lv ups more then 1 lv does each lv count as if i was fight another haryama for the EP hp?

R

reverend_tweek

Here's an interesting problem I've run across. I decided to breed an train a Shedinja, so I bred the moves I wanted into a Nincada, leveled it to 20, got the Shedinja. Here's where the fun part comes in. I went to go buy vitamins for the two stats I wanted to train, 10 of each, and wound up only feeding 7 and 8 of either vitamin to it when I got the "this will have no effect" message. Now, even if the EV's DID carry over from the Nincada, which I didn't think they would, but if they did, getting that message would mean I'd maxed out the EV's in that stat, correct? Well, I went to the effort ribbon lady, and she said that Shedinja still had to try a little harder. What went wrong?

TRJessie579

Obsessive Beader/Mod
Pokemon trainer Jeremy - I'm sorry, but can you rephrase your question? I'm really not understanding.

reverend_tweek - The EVs do carry over to the Shedinja, just like everything else. From the FAQ:

Vitamins are the items Calcium, Carbos, HP Up, Iron, Protein, and Zinc. They each add 10 EVs to the stat that they correspond to. You can ONLY feed your Pokemon Vitamins until they have 100 EVs in that stat. After that is when you will get the “it has no effect” message.

There's your problem.

ijea4444

does macho brace double speed or leave it normal? and i think this i right but i want to make sure. If you are battling and u switch out and win do they both get the same ev, split evs or only the one who beat it gets evs ? and i f u lose and switch out to another pokemon does the one who fainted get evs 2?

TRJessie579 said:
Pokemon trainer Jeremy - I'm sorry, but can you rephrase your question? I'm really not understanding.

reverend_tweek - The EVs do carry over to the Shedinja, just like everything else. From the FAQ:

There's your problem.

so can the shedinga still get more evs in that stat? and how much can one stat have again? Sorry for not being smart im so sorry :(

Last edited:

TRJessie579

Obsessive Beader/Mod
Macho Brace actually HALVES Speed, not doubles it, but only while it's attached (in battle). After it's gone Speed goes back to normal.

As explained in the FAQ, if it gains EXP from the battle, it gains FULL EVs from the defending Pokemon. If it faints it does not gain EVs, because even though it participated in the battle, it did not gain EXP.

Yes, the Shedinja above can still gain more EVs. You can't use Vitamins after that stat has 100 EVs in it, but it can still gain the rest from battling. You can have 255 EVs in one stat.

You don't need to apologize for asking questions, but most of yours were answered right in the FAQ. Instead of having to wait an hour for an answer you can find it out right away by just reading the FAQ.

ijea4444

Like if u battle a zubat do u lose evs or do u get double the evs like if it was another stat (i think zubat gives you speed ev) with macho brace.

TRJessie579

Obsessive Beader/Mod
Macho Brace does not effect Speed EVs--it doubles ALL EVs while it's attatched.

It just halves your Pokemon's actual Speed STAT while it's attatched. So if your Pokemon's Speed is 50 it would be 25 in battle with Macho Brace.

Whompithian

Dynamo Trainer
Pokemon trainer Jeremy said:
i want HP for my newly hatched speal LV 5 i give my macho brace to salamence give speal expshare and go into victory road and fight haryamas and loudreads when it lv ups more then 1 lv does each lv count as if i was fight another haryama for the EP hp?
You will only be awarded the EVs for fighting a single Hariyama, no matter how many levels it causes the Pokemon you are training to rise. Also, your Spheal with Exp. Share will get the regular amount of EVs from the Hariyama, not the double amount, even though your Salamence is holding Macho Brace. (Only the Pokemon holding Macho Brace gets double EVs.)

Ben Kenobi

When would be the best time to start EV training? I started it straight after I started a new game but it is getting quite tedious having to record all the EVs. My first priority is to get through the main game. Any advice?

ijea4444

well ull just have to wait for money for slateport. calcium etc. or just have to deal with it .

Edit: can u use reducing berries an unlimited amount of time or can u only use a maximum of 10 like protein etc.

Last edited:

TRJessie579

Obsessive Beader/Mod
I've never EV-trained during the actual game--I find it's tedious, and it's much harder to control what EVs your Pokemon are getting, plus it's not just really needed. I EV-train afterwards, for the Battle Tower, battles with other people, etc.

You can use an unlimited amount of EV-reducing Berries, until the EVs are gone.

X

xPokerusx

Im a noob at this at this ev training thing and i just wanted to say when im training my bagon in attack only poochyenas,mightyenas and shuppets when he levels up he gets points in other stats is that supposed to happen

TRJessie579

Obsessive Beader/Mod
Yes. EVs ADD to your stats, but a Bagon isn't going to have the same stats in, say, HP at LV 20 that it does at LV 5, even if you don't EV-train in HP. This has to do with Base Stats, and the simple fact that higher level Pokemon have higher stats than lower level Pokemon.

PkmnBreederLuke

Zephyr Trainer
Right I think it covered this in the first post but I need to double check. I have my level 7 Lileep, just hatched. So I train it against weak Lotads with the macho brace on. Now just say I beat a Lotad, thats 2EV (MBrace) i beat another thats 2 more so +1. Say I beat another 2. That would be +2 to the stat but when i increased to level 8 all stats (barring HP) went +1 up.

Now the first post says that it's not wrong, it's still there and I'm assuming it will add on another time. So is this to keep all my stats kinda even at a low level, when I get to level 20 maybe they'll be more diverse then at level 50 which is when i'll stop training it, they will be how I want?

Thanks, just clearing up so sorry if this is an annoying post ^_^.

S

SandwichDad

OK, I have a dumb question that I think I know the answer to, but I just want to confirm. If I breed my Pokemon in Emerald and trade them into Fire Red (where I have more money to buy vitamins) and apply the vitamins in Fire Red, then trade it back to Emerald to complete the EV training, will I lose the EVs from the vitamins during the trade?

Or, an easy way to ask the question is does trading change or negate unapplied EVs?

TRJessie579

Obsessive Beader/Mod
PkmnBreederLuke - If I understand your question correctly, then you're right. Stat gain from EVs is added up gradually to prevent lower-level Pokemon from having huge stats. As your Pokemon gains more and more levels you will begin to see more of a difference between the stats you have EV-trained and the ones you haven't.

SandwichDad - Nope, trading doesn't affect EVs at all. The ONLY way to reduce EVs is by using the EV-reducing Berries in Emerald. They don't change or "reset" when you trade, evolve, anything.

X

XD001

Ok I have a Question:

Lets Say I Purify And Fresh Shroomish From XD, Then Transfer It To Emerald, Give It EXP Share And Battle With My Mew Until The EXP Share Gets Enough To level Shroomish Upto LV 30 And Evolve Into Breloom, Did Breloom Get Any EV Points?

If So How Do I get Rid Of Them?

My Breloom Has 31 In Attack And Defence With And Adamant Nature, Also Knowing False Swipe, So I'd Like To Keep Her

X

xPokerusx

Thanks Jessie.
XDOO1 yeah they do get ev points as if they were in a regular battle.
And to get rid of them i think you give berrys that lower certain stats.i dont remember the exact name of the berrys tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.