• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light
Mr_Confused said:
ok cause i just defeated 18 magikarps with suddowoodo with macho brace and only got +1 in speed when i leveled up
Sounds perfectly plausible. especially if ur sudowoodo is a low level.
Don't worry about how much each level increases because all your ev's are kept in a hidden sum value and are slowly added to ur stats until you finally reach level 100 where all the stats are final

amulekbird

Gardevoir Hunter
Here's something I've been wondering about. I know people have their opinions on this, but coding of the game doesn't seem to agree.

Suppose you raise a poke to LV 100. Then, using berries, you eliminate ALL EVs (stupid move, but humor me). Now you give it 10 vitamins in five stats and 1 of the other. Will it have the same stats as it would have had if you gave it those vitamins back at level..say 20? Essentially, is the EV training COMPLETELY math-based or do you have to give EVs "time" to kick in?

By all EV discussion, at LV 100, two pokes with the same IVs and the same EVs should have the same stats...no matter when the EV training occurred, correct?

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
That depends on whether or not said Pokémon already had some EVs when it was at L20.

In Pokémon, stat calculation is totally analytical. The game doesn't "tack on" stats as you level up, but rather, just recalculates them every level based on base stats/IVs/EVs/nature.

amulekbird

Gardevoir Hunter
Maybe I didn't word my question right. If a Lv 100 poke has the exact same nature, IVs, and EVs, does it matter (to its stats) when it got the EVs?

TRJessie579

Obsessive Beader/Mod
No, it does not. Whether all the EVs were gained at LV 20 or LV 100, the stats will be the same in the end.

This is why you can take a LV 99 Pokemon with no EVs, fully EV-train it, and see a 63+ stat gain when it levels up. :D

ijea4444

do evs change the higher the higher the pokemon? that doesnt sound understandable so how about if u batle a level 15 numel and then battle a level 40 numel ( who would keep a level 40 numel without evolving i dont know) would they both give you 1 sp. atk?

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light
ijea4444 said:
do evs change the higher the higher the pokemon? that doesnt sound understandable so how about if u batle a level 15 numel and then battle a level 40 numel ( who would keep a level 40 numel without evolving i dont know) would they both give you 1 sp. atk?
Yes... no matter what level it is... each pokemon has a special amount of ev points it gives... the only thing that changes is the amount of experience points it gives.

A

Antero

I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask my question. What level are the base statistics taken from on the Serebii Pokédex?

Thanks.

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
Antero said:
I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask my question. What level are the base statistics taken from on the Serebii Pokédex?

Thanks.
They get them from the actual game.
Not sure how they do it, though.

ijea4444

DarkSpectrum said:
Yes... no matter what level it is... each pokemon has a special amount of ev points it gives... the only thing that changes is the amount of experience points it gives.

what do u mean by "the only thing that changes is the amount of experience points it gives." i dont u nderstand.

A

Antero

T Lord said:
They get them from the actual game.
Not sure how they do it, though.

I see, does anyone know how they come about these values?

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
I believe that there is a discrepansy conserning the EV guide on the main site. It says that "for every four Effort Points you get, your Pokémon gets one more point in that stat." However, it says that, "one Pokémon can have a total of 255 Effort Points per stat, giving it a total of 32 extra points in that stat." You see, dividing 255 by 4 gets closer to 64, which would give a Pokémon a chance to get an extra 64 points in one stat. So, which one is right?

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
T Lord said:
I believe that there is a discrepansy conserning the EV guide on the main site. It says that "for every four Effort Points you get, your Pokémon gets one more point in that stat." However, it says that, "one Pokémon can have a total of 255 Effort Points per stat, giving it a total of 32 extra points in that stat." You see, dividing 255 by 4 gets closer to 64, which would give a Pokémon a chance to get an extra 64 points in one stat. So, which one is right?

they must've mistyped it. the actual gain from EV training is a maximum of 63 points. (255/4 = 63.75, and since you can't have a fraction of a point, the game rounds down)

TRJessie579

Obsessive Beader/Mod
The guide on the main site has some major mistakes in it, which is one of the reasons I wrote THIS one.

ijea4444 - They mean the EXP, the experience points, that you get from battling a higher level Pokemon will be more, but the EVs don't change--a LV 5 Numel will give the same EVs as a LV 100 one.

Antero - I used to know this...I BELIEVE it's the stat the Pokemon will have at LV 25 (with no EVs, Nature, etc) but I'm not completely sure.

EDIT: Okay, I'm wrong on the base stats thing... XD The only thing I can find about them is that they're "used in the formulas that calculate a Pokemon's stats." So maybe they're not anything specific, they're just bits of data that determine how high each species of Pokemons' stats can go.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~

The epitome of grace
I never bothered to keep track of my pokemon's EV's, something which became a problem for me. Serebii's Pokemon of the week says to max out it's defense and HP, so to be safe, should I just EV train it in defense for one level, then EV train it in HP alternating levels?

Also, are EV gains spread out? I gave 10 Calciums to my Lugia, which should have given it a 25 point boost in sp. attack, but it only went up 3-4 points.

ijea4444

i think with carbos, iron etc. you get the 4 ev- means 1 stat boost i little after u give it to them but im not sure at all.

Last edited:

amulekbird

Gardevoir Hunter
the vitamins give you 10 EVs, not 4

ijea4444

i mean for every 4 evs u get you get a i poinnt bonus on your stats so i mean the 4 evs so in his case i think it was 4 so he had 4o evs so he should have gotten a 10 point stat boost.

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
~*Rekkuza Ryuu*~ said:
I never bothered to keep track of my pokemon's EV's, something which became a problem for me. Serebii's Pokemon of the week says to max out it's defense and HP, so to be safe, should I just EV train it in defense for one level, then EV train it in HP alternating levels?

Also, are EV gains spread out? I gave 10 Calciums to my Lugia, which should have given it a 25 point boost in sp. attack, but it only went up 3-4 points.
well, to begin with, the stat changes happen immediately upon feeding the pokemon the vitamin, so if you only saw the 3-4 stat change on leveling up, that's why. also, unless your pokemon is level 100, they don't get full benefit from EVs right away. if your pokemon is at level 49, and gains 104 EVs in a stat (from something other than vitamins, because i'm talking about it all being calculated at the same time), they'd gain 13 extra points on leveling up, not 26.

TRJessie579 said:
Antero - I used to know this...I BELIEVE it's the stat the Pokemon will have at LV 25 (with no EVs, Nature, etc) but I'm not completely sure.

EDIT: Okay, I'm wrong on the base stats thing... XD The only thing I can find about them is that they're "used in the formulas that calculate a Pokemon's stats." So maybe they're not anything specific, they're just bits of data that determine how high each species of Pokemons' stats can go.

with a neutral nature, and 0 IVs and EVs, a pokemon's stats at level 50 will be their base in that stat + 5. the exception to this is HP, which is their base stat, + 10 + their level.

this is because the stat formulae are:

((((base*2)+(IVs)+(EVs/4, rounded down))*level/100)+5)*personality for non-HP stats and
((((base*2)+(IVs)+(EVs/4, rounded down))*level/100)+10+level) for HP.

with no IVs, EVs, or personality modifier, you're left with:

(2base*level/100)+5 which simplifies to
(base*level/50)+5

if level = 50, it cancels and leaves you with base + 5 for your stat. do the same for HP, you get:

(base*level/100)+10+level and the same applies if level = 50 again, leaving you with the thing i posted above.

Last edited:
E

eddmeister

so if i max out the poke's IV's and i use therare candies so i dont have to train it forever will it still get the EV bonus(more to that stat...)?

Status
Not open for further replies.