• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSpectrum

Shadow Amongst Light
eddmeister said:
so if i max out the poke's IV's and i use therare candies so i dont have to train it forever will it still get the EV bonus(more to that stat...)?
As long as you max out the evs... (all 510) then no matter how u level up, by battle or candies, then the pokemon will recieve its full bonus.

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
In my recent breeding quests for pokemon with flawless IVs, I am in the process of coming up with a standardized convention to identify which of my key pokemon for breeding purposes have flawless IVs based on what the breeding expert says in battle frontier in emerald. I've been using the markings and have named my pokemon with abbreviations, but there's a certain limit to the naming. In a different topic, I saw Volteon used numbers from 1-6. I'm considering the first letter of each stat as follows:

H = HP
A = Attack
D = Defense

This is where it gets tricky so I've come up with as follows:

S = Speed
Y = Special Attack (vowel like A in attack)
Z = Special Defense (Z as in zinc)

In my current breedings involving a spinda with flawless hp/attack/speed and a meditite, I nicknamed my spinda as "SpinHAS". Here's how I forsee certain nickname examples:

DModHYS = modest ditto with flawless hp/sp.att/speed
DBoldHDZ = bold ditto with flawless hp/defense/sp.def
DAdamHAS = adamant ditto with flawless hp/attack/speed
DCareADZ = careful ditto with flawless attack/defense/sp.def
DCalmHYZ = calm ditto with flawless hp/sp.att/sp.def

SmearHAS = smeargle with flawless hp/attack/speed

Hopefully this should help.

v_legendary25

Woman Obsessed?

Hi all,

Just a quick question. 'Bout EV training..

- Generally how long does it take to max out the EV's
- If all EV's were maxed by level 90, could rare candies be used to get to Lv100.

T

TYRANITARDUDE

this is my team

here it is:
sceptile;254;
lv:36
fury cutter
pursuit
rock tomb
leaf blade

swellow;277;
lv:35
endeavor
wing attack
thief
steel wing

gyarados;130;
thrash
bite
dragon rage
surf

slaking;289;
slash
secret power
rock smash
fury swipes

hope you like it.i only have 5 badges because i erased my game.

Hindering/neutral/beneficial natures. What is the best way to calculate which a pokemon has?

Also, Say I have a Vaporeon, with Beneficial nature, the site says he would have 251 for attack, does that mean I can EV train him and get him 255 more in that stat, or is 251 the maximum he can reach with EV training?

Stupid questions, I know, but I want to get this right.

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
Sunkern said:
Hindering/neutral/beneficial natures. What is the best way to calculate which a pokemon has?

Also, Say I have a Vaporeon, with Beneficial nature, the site says he would have 251 for attack, does that mean I can EV train him and get him 255 more in that stat, or is 251 the maximum he can reach with EV training?

Stupid questions, I know, but I want to get this right.
just see what nature it has, and check the main site as to which stat it boosts/lowers. for example, if you check on your pokemon's summary screen, it says "_____ nature", then where and what level you met it.

also, the main site listing of max stat values assumes you have flawless IVs (all 31s), and have 252 EVs in that stat. also, remember that it takes 4 EVs to boost a stat 1 point. so, EV training can provide 63 extra points, not 255.

EDIT - Regarding breeding, If you were to max a stat on both parents, would the infant automatically be able to reach that number with EV's, hence you can move on to the next stat with that poke, or do you need to go from scratch and hope its IV's were improved?

Last edited:

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
given that 3 IVs are inherited, here's been the pattern with my recent breeding involving roselia & skitty:

Start:

male roselia with flawless hp/defense/sp.def/speed
female delcatty with no flawless ivs

replaced delcatty with offspring skitty with flawless sp.def

replaced skitty with offspring skitty with flawless defense/sp.def

hope this is clear enough.

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
Sunkern said:

EDIT - Regarding breeding, If you were to max a stat on both parents, would the infant automatically be able to reach that number with EV's, hence you can move on to the next stat with that poke, or do you need to go from scratch and hope its IV's were improved?
i'm not quite sure what you're asking. but EVs aren't inherited.

Sorry, I didnt word that well. However the post above yours made me realise the answer to my question, so don't worry :)

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
Okay, I have a question I couldn't find the answer to. In Emerald, the IV guy says it's "flawless" when your Pokemon's best IV is 31. But, if you have two that are 31, does he say both are flawless, or does he choose one to say is flawless?

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
Chaos Emerald said:
Okay, I have a question I couldn't find the answer to. In Emerald, the IV guy says it's "flawless" when your Pokemon's best IV is 31. But, if you have two that are 31, does he say both are flawless, or does he choose one to say is flawless?
he chooses one at random. talk to him a few times for each pokemon, so he has a chance to say all their flawlesses.

H

hmaster10

when talking to the pokemon breeder at BF, can i use the hatch pokemon immediately to show him and tell me the IV of it or the pokemon should gain levels first?

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
hmaster10 said:
when talking to the pokemon breeder at BF, can i use the hatch pokemon immediately to show him and tell me the IV of it or the pokemon should gain levels first?
IVs don't change as it levels up. you'll get exactly the same response whether you bring it to him at level 5 or level 100.

the reason why people usually have to raise levels before figuring out IVs is because all they're given to work with is the final stats, which are rounded. but the higher-level the stats you're trying to work backward from are, the more accurate your IV range is. since the breeder at BF is in the game, and has access to the information that's hidden from us, he's always right.

Okay, I've been HP training my Grovyle, and simultaneously Swellow with exp. Share. I just wanted to make sure I am getting the right results.

Grovyle= 2x Levelled up, each time 10 HP gain.
Swellow= 3x levelled up, 5,6,6 HP gain.

Do these numbers sound right? This is battling Whismurs, I battled 180 to get to the above numbers.

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
Sunkern said:
Okay, I've been HP training my Grovyle, and simultaneously Swellow with exp. Share. I just wanted to make sure I am getting the right results.

Grovyle= 2x Levelled up, each time 10 HP gain.
Swellow= 3x levelled up, 5,6,6 HP gain.

Do these numbers sound right? This is battling Whismurs, I battled 180 to get to the above numbers.
seems like it's working. when your stat boosts go back down to 3 or less, you're probably maxed out on that stat.

also, you can speed it up by giving your grovyle a macho brace, if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.