• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
Here's an example of a male mild seviper I just got:

father: golduck: flawless hp/defense/sp.att/speed
mother: seviper: flawless sp.att/speed

offspring: male mild seviper: flawless hp/sp.att/speed/attack

it obviously got hp from its father and got sp.att & speed from either parents. flawless attack was luckily random this time.

houndoom15

Pokémon Writer To Be
I've just started EV training and I was wondering, How do all of you people who EV train alot do it? Just fight every pokemon you see?

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
go to areas that have a lot of pokemon that give the EVs you're looking for (for example, route 113 (?) for special attack, with spinda and slugma, or 118/altering cave for speed.

T BLAZE

ROCK HARD TRAINER>_<
Im Ev Training My Bagon On Her Attack Nature Careful Lv.13

Hp=36
Attack=29
Defense=21
Sp.atk=15
Sp.def=14
Speed=19

Do This Look Good Or Bad?

houndoom15

Pokémon Writer To Be
Do you keep track of your Ev progress? If so, how?

And also, People say that they breed pokemon with flawless sp. Atk. and such, and their offspring have flawless sp. atk. Does that mean that you can have maxed stats on newborn pokemon?

Last edited:
S

SandwichDad

I messed up somehow. I'm training my Venusaur for the EV spread 252 HP/252SDef/6 Speed. I gave my lvl 5 Bulbasuar 10 HP Ups and 10 Zincs and took it out into the big bad world, using the Exp. Share and Macho Brace to defeat the equivalent of 152 Whismur, 152 Tentacool and 6 Zubat. It was at lvl 30 when I completed this process, which is about average for me to complete EV training. But, when I went to the lady next to the Energy Guru in Slateport, she said that I haven't gotten all of my EVs yet. So, I figured I'd miscounted once or twice, went back and defeated 5 more Tentacool and 5 more Whismur. Went back and the lady told me the same thing!!! I've gone back and defeated a bunch more Tentacool and Whismur. I don't really want to go back and try more Zubat because I don't want that speed to take away any of the EVs that I want to go toward HP and SDef. I'm at a complete loss of how a 31 year old man with a college degree in information technology can be unable to count!!!!

I guess my question is: if I go back and keep battling Tentacool and Whismur, with the EVs earned after 255 just not count, or will they not be applied to the stat, but take away from the possibility of earning more EVs in another stat?

For example, if my Venusaur defeats 510 Whismur, it will only get 255 EVs. Will those extra 255 EVs that it got not count toward anything, or will they prevent me from doing my S Def training?

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
houndoom15 said:
Do you keep track of your Ev progress? If so, how?

And also, People say that they breed pokemon with flawless sp. Atk. and such, and their offspring have flawless sp. atk. Does that mean that you can have maxed stats on newborn pokemon?

in breeding, the baby inherits 3 of its parents IVs. so if the mother has a 31 IV in attack, and the father has a 31 in defense, the baby has a significantly higher chance of having flawless attack and/or defense IVs. the baby may have max IVs, but all newly caught/hatched pokemon start with 0 EVs in everything, so it can't be absolutely maxed.

and as for keeping track of EVs gained, i use the PP of the moves i'm using to KO the wild pokemon. for example, my heracross is holding an EXP share and my gardevoir is KOing shuppet with psychic and thunderbolt. heracross gains 1 EV per PP used, so 10 trips of 25 KOs (psychic's 10 and thunderbolt's 15) each leaves it with 2 EVs left to gain, so i hand it a macho brace and make it get a kill of its own.

SandwichDad said:
I messed up somehow. I'm training my Venusaur for the EV spread 252 HP/252SDef/6 Speed. I gave my lvl 5 Bulbasuar 10 HP Ups and 10 Zincs and took it out into the big bad world, using the Exp. Share and Macho Brace to defeat the equivalent of 152 Whismur, 152 Tentacool and 6 Zubat. It was at lvl 30 when I completed this process, which is about average for me to complete EV training. But, when I went to the lady next to the Energy Guru in Slateport, she said that I haven't gotten all of my EVs yet. So, I figured I'd miscounted once or twice, went back and defeated 5 more Tentacool and 5 more Whismur. Went back and the lady told me the same thing!!! I've gone back and defeated a bunch more Tentacool and Whismur. I don't really want to go back and try more Zubat because I don't want that speed to take away any of the EVs that I want to go toward HP and SDef. I'm at a complete loss of how a 31 year old man with a college degree in information technology can be unable to count!!!!

I guess my question is: if I go back and keep battling Tentacool and Whismur, with the EVs earned after 255 just not count, or will they not be applied to the stat, but take away from the possibility of earning more EVs in another stat?

For example, if my Venusaur defeats 510 Whismur, it will only get 255 EVs. Will those extra 255 EVs that it got not count toward anything, or will they prevent me from doing my S Def training?
any extra you may earn in a stat is simply not counted. you can defeat 1000 whismur, then 1000 tentacool, and still get 255 each in HP and SDef.

keep in mind, however, that the 4 you got in speed will keep you from hitting maximum on whichever one you train second, as you'll only get 251 EVs in that stat.

Last edited:

v_legendary25

Woman Obsessed?
I heard somewhere that Lucky Egg also doubles the Ev's, is this true?

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
v_legendary25 said:
I heard somewhere that Lucky Egg also doubles the Ev's, is this true?
lucky egg does nothing to EVs. it simply multiplies EXP gained by the pokemon holding it by 1.5

CharizardMaster

Belgian Waffles!!!
When is a good level to start EV training?

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
CharizardMaster said:
When is a good level to start EV training?
as soon as possible. if you raise it levels when not EV training, it can get EVs in undesirable stats. you could, if you want, rare candy it up to a level where it can KO the wild pokemon needed for the EVs, but it's really a waste of rare candies.

just give it an exp share, and have a stronger member of your team defeat spinda or zubat or whatever gives the EVs you want.

ShinyFufu

Arriving glacially.
Say I have a charmander that I want to EV train. I make it hold the Exp. Share, and my stronger pokemon holds the Macho Brace. Now, I defeat a Spinda. Will the Charmander get 2 EVs in SAtk, or just 1?

v_legendary25

Woman Obsessed?
Can someone confirm that placing a pokemon in the daycare centre does not affect its Ev's and only raise in terms of level. Using the daycare is identical to using rare candies?

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
v_legendary25 said:
Can someone confirm that placing a pokemon in the daycare centre does not affect its Ev's and only raise in terms of level. Using the daycare is identical to using rare candies?
yes. the only problem with the daycare, in my experience, is that it overwrites moves while it's in there (for example, if you leave a level 5 ralts in there that knows psychic, thunderbolt, hypnosis and calm mind from breeding, and it grows 11 levels, it'll have lost psychic, thunderbolt, and hypnosis for confusion, double team, and teleport.)

X

xPokerusx

Can someone help me please.How many evs does lombre give.The main site says 1 but i thought it would be 2 seeing as it is a evo.I just wanted to double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.