• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

twilightstories

**Twilight**
Hey, I've got a really stupid question about EV training and calculating IVs that I need answered regardless of its stupidity.

So I would like to raise a disgustingly strong Milotic. I've bred a bunch of Feebas, and have a few with beneficial natures that I think I would like to EV train. However, I kind of want them to be at a higher level so that they can do the actual battling instead of having to switch Pokemon out all the time. So, if I stuck them in the Day Care before EV training them, would the training process still go the same as if I'd just gone straight to EV training, since they apparently don't gain any EVs in the process? I know, kind of a confusing question, so I can clarify if need be.

Also, I would like to gain a better idea of what their IVs are, so if I stuck them in the Day Care for a few levels and then calculated their IVs, would the calculations still be accurate?

Epilogue

Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions about IV's and Hidden Power..

I've read many guides in this forum and in others too, I think I understand EV's now. Let's say I have a newborn Electrike, level 5. He's holding a Macho Brace. I want to EV train him, for 216 Speed, 252 SP. Atk, and 40 SP. Def. Does that mean that in theory at least, I have to kill 108 Zubats in order to reach the desired speed? Same about SP. Atk and SP. Def, 126 and 20 EV kills, respectively.

Now, Hidden Power and IV's.. This one is a little harder for me. I understand that Individual Values are determined in the beginning, when the pokemon hatches. They can't change, too. And they determine Hidden Power..
Does it mean that If I teach Electrike hidden power in level 5, it'll be the same hidden power as if I'd teach him in level 50? and 100?

Last question now.. hehe Let's say I want HP Ice for my Electrike. What can I do to raise the chances of making that happen? Breeding has something to do with that, I know, 3 IV's are taken from the parents, and 3 are chosen randomly (that's riight?). So if both of the parents have HP Ice, the young Electrike has higher chance of having the "right" IV's for HP Ice.. right?

That's it.. Thanks in advance :)

Good day ;355;

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
Hey, I've got a really stupid question about EV training and calculating IVs that I need answered regardless of its stupidity.

So I would like to raise a disgustingly strong Milotic. I've bred a bunch of Feebas, and have a few with beneficial natures that I think I would like to EV train. However, I kind of want them to be at a higher level so that they can do the actual battling instead of having to switch Pokemon out all the time. So, if I stuck them in the Day Care before EV training them, would the training process still go the same as if I'd just gone straight to EV training, since they apparently don't gain any EVs in the process? I know, kind of a confusing question, so I can clarify if need be.

Also, I would like to gain a better idea of what their IVs are, so if I stuck them in the Day Care for a few levels and then calculated their IVs, would the calculations still be accurate?
They don't gain any EV's in the Daycare. Also, levelling them in the Daycare gives you a more accurate idea of their IV's, so it's a good idea.

Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions about IV's and Hidden Power..

I've read many guides in this forum and in others too, I think I understand EV's now. Let's say I have a newborn Electrike, level 5. He's holding a Macho Brace. I want to EV train him, for 216 Speed, 252 SP. Atk, and 40 SP. Def. Does that mean that in theory at least, I have to kill 108 Zubats in order to reach the desired speed? Same about SP. Atk and SP. Def, 126 and 20 EV kills, respectively.

Now, Hidden Power and IV's.. This one is a little harder for me. I understand that Individual Values are determined in the beginning, when the pokemon hatches. They can't change, too. And they determine Hidden Power..
Does it mean that If I teach Electrike hidden power in level 5, it'll be the same hidden power as if I'd teach him in level 50? and 100?

Last question now.. hehe Let's say I want HP Ice for my Electrike. What can I do to raise the chances of making that happen? Breeding has something to do with that, I know, 3 IV's are taken from the parents, and 3 are chosen randomly (that's riight?). So if both of the parents have HP Ice, the young Electrike has higher chance of having the "right" IV's for HP Ice.. right?

That's it.. Thanks in advance :)

Good day ;355;
Yes @ the Manectric question.

Yes @ the Hidden Power question.

Yes, but it's very hard to get a good Hidden Power, so be prepared for a long haul.

Epilogue

Thank you Chaos Emerald :) much appreciated ;355;

Well.. it took me 2 days.. but I managed to get HP Ice on Electrike. It's probably not so powerful.. but heck! I got Hidden power!
Anyway, the price was 2 boxes full of failing electrikes. I should have saved before getting the egg.. but I was too nervous ..

golden jirachi

Sinnoh Star!
Did you know you can EV train during lvl 100?

Just get the EVs and put the pokemon in the computer. Ta-da, It magically gained the EVs!

gf_commander

Gold Hero
I personally find it much easier to hatch pokemon in Emerald than D/P for two reasons: mass Ditto catching and the Battle Frontiert IV guy. Both save a lot of time.

My current breeding project is a Timid Gengar with flawless HP, Sp. Atk, and Spd. The closest I got was HP and Speed, but I'll get the Gastly I want tonight.

I think my next pokemon may be a Jolly Sneasel.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.