• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 4th Gen Shiny Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty

Forever now
Hey freedom-123, I remember you from my old days as an active chainer.^^

Anyway, I got myself a random shiny Hoothoot on US HG after like 1,000 & so random encounters in Viridian forest. I was hunting something else, though.

I started a new MM hunt, a starter. I won't tell.
I really want it bad, so it becomes my main hunt. I don't switch off my DS.
So I've got 2 MM hunts, the first one is for shiny Clamperl, currently 740 eggs, I put it on hold until I get the new hunt.

Good luck people, congrats on all your new found shinies whatever methods you use.

chihuahuaowner

So I caught a Shuppet the other day. It was just a random one, so when I checked my box today to my suprise there was yellow numbering for the Shuppet. I hadn't even known it was shiny! This was my second shiny ever, my first being machop on LG.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So I was trying to fill my Dex by fishing in Olivine City (I was looking for Chinchou and Shellder but didn't know they moved them). Anyway, first pokemon I find is a shiny Krabby. This is my second random shiny, the first being a Suicune.

EDIT: Thinking up possible nicknames for my Krabby. One that I was thinking of was Edward. I'll see if you can get the reference. And anyone who mentions Twilight will be viciously murdered. Here's a hint:

What could a Krabby's claws possibly function as?

Last edited:

Electivire#1

Shiny Breeder
Recently got the hang of using the RNG.So far had pretty good results with it.Got a shiny Baltoy with it today.Now trying to get a shiny swablu with a good nature.

shiniesrock

right now
my only random encounter shinies are golbat from snowpoint temple on platinum and aipom from one of the gamecube games, cant remember which, i didnt find out it was shiny until i encountered it in the palpark l0l. i flipped out, it was hilarious.

Drgntmr

Trainer since '98
not sure if this has been asked, but i got a Shiny breeding question. For example, say i have a Shiny Pikachu (male) and a normal Pikachu (female), would the offspring have a higher chance of being Shiny, or are the odds the same??

Esmerry

DREW COME BACK
@Drgntmr, nope, the offspring has no higher chance of being shiny.

diamonddialgapikamew

ive been soft resetting for a shiny jirachi
someone told me it cant be shiny, is this true?
i would hate to soft reset for months to find out that it was in vain
thanks

23caterpie

pokemaster
unless of course they're set to be shiny or they're manaphy

hatched a shiny trapinch this afternoon on platinum, gentle nature. now just have to get a charmander over from soul silver to plat so i can breed there. hunting shiny, swablu, charmander, and eevee.

shinies so far (in order of getting): gyarados, caterpie, machoke, roselia, and trapinch.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I got my first Masuda Method shiny. After trying to get a shiny Charmander on HG (hatching around 1000 eggs), I switched to Pt to try to get a shiny Cyndaquil, and after hatching about 260 eggs since yesterday, I got a SHINY CYNDAQUIL (naive nature).

Cutty

Forever now
My new MM shiny has naive nature too.

I finally got it! I hatched like crazy around 200 eggs each day if I could, without switching off my DS.
It finally popped up after 875 eggs.^^

shinykip1.jpg

It hatched on US Soulsilver by the way, my first MM shiny on HG/SS.
Well, I have MM Clamperl going, but no luck yet, I'm gonna continue it as I've got my shiny Mudkip already.

shinykip2.jpg

I still can't believe I'm so lucky w/ my MM shiny hunts so far, I mean I get them early/fairly in amount.

Good luck to the other hunters too.

redphoenix

Good times!

I recently paused my HG to try and get some shinies on Pear. I started with chaining 2 shiny ponytas, a girl and boy( the boy has flawless speed! Both are jolly!) Next I decided to get nincada to replace my original one from ruby(i traded its evolutions a few months ago, it was quiet natured) and i eventually got one by chaining. although i accidently broke my chain by forgetting to switch my lv1 Ralts, doh! At least when it evolves i will have 2 shinies! Then my next mission was to get the pokemon i lost when my original gold version got wiped when it internal battery died. They were poliwag( my first ever shiny) and tangela( found at mt silver.......i know, mt silver, even back then lol). I got my shiny poliwag after a couple of hundred eggs( its parent went from lv20 to lv90 lol) and it was Brave with DAMP,DAMN! I'm gonna evolve it into Politoed because of the way it looks and also because i have never had one before. I probably should evolve it into Poliwrath due to its nature, but i don't care. I'm currently trying for tangela in LG in that place beside pallett town, as only tangela live there. I can find roughly 6 a min so hopefull i'll find one within 24hrs. fingers and politoeds crossed,lol. Its good that i can now use tangela as it can evolve now, which it couldn't back in the day, so i was lucky i was assigned these shinies as if to say, yeh these pokemon do get better 10 years down the line.
Congrats and /or good luck to everyone on your shinies

redphoenix

Good times!

I recently paused my HG to try and get some shinies on Pear. I started with chaining 2 shiny ponytas, a girl and boy( the boy has flawless speed! Both are jolly!) Next I decided to get nincada to replace my original one from ruby(i traded its evolutions a few months ago, it was quiet natured) and i eventually got one by chaining. although i accidently broke my chain by forgetting to switch my lv1 Ralts, doh! At least when it evolves i will have 2 shinies! Then my next mission was to get the pokemon i lost when my original gold version got wiped when it internal battery died. They were poliwag( my first ever shiny) and tangela( found at mt silver.......i know, mt silver, even back then lol). I got my shiny poliwag after a couple of hundred eggs( its parent went from lv20 to lv90 lol) and it was Brave with DAMP,DAMN! I'm gonna evolve it into Politoed because of the way it looks and also because i have never had one before. I probably should evolve it into Poliwrath due to its nature, but i don't care. I'm currently trying for tangela in LG in that place beside pallett town, as only tangela live there. I can find roughly 6 a min so hopefull i'll find one within 24hrs. fingers and politoeds crossed,lol. Its good that i can now use tangela as it can evolve now, which it couldn't back in the day, so i was lucky i was assigned these shinies as if to say, yeh these pokemon do get better 10 years down the line.

Skeith

(◕‿‿◕)
Random encounter Shiny Buizel FTW :3. Brave natured female I'm starting to think that yellow's my lucky colour. I'm actually surprised that I managed to encounter it, I'm at the wind valley works in a newly restarted Pearl. I didn't think you could catch shinies till after you beat the E4. Learn something new every day.

Last edited:

freedom-123

AAMayL supporter
Hey freedom-123, I remember you from my old days as an active chainer.^^

Anyway, I got myself a random shiny Hoothoot on US HG after like 1,000 & so random encounters in Viridian forest. I was hunting something else, though.

I started a new MM hunt, a starter. I won't tell.
I really want it bad, so it becomes my main hunt. I don't switch off my DS.
So I've got 2 MM hunts, the first one is for shiny Clamperl, currently 740 eggs, I put it on hold until I get the new hunt.

Good luck people, congrats on all your new found shinies whatever methods you use.

OMG! someone i still remember =D hi hi hi!!

anyways, since i posted last, i ended my weedle drought, got it to 40, got 4 shinies, and on the second shiny, two shiny patches appeared at the same time....again....like srsly...double shiny patch is all looks ==", its so useless and probably most wasteful situation during chaining...id much rather get back to back shiny patches. And straight after that i got bibarel chain to 40 too, back to back successes =D.

also, ive looked into rng mechanics lately, and was wondering if you guys turn off your ds when you do the masuda method? if you do...since the playing time will keep going up anyways, why dont you guys start not turning off your ds at all? just let it sit there.

because, looking at the rng, it seems what predominantly determins if the egg is shiny is the time you get it (which is split into frames). generally, you start off with frame 4, and then frames move up as npcs move(i think), and usually shiny eggs appear when frame is like in the hundreds or thousands. if you keep turning off...your frame will forever stay low and you wont get the shiny egg...but if you dont turn off, the frames will keep moving and eventually you will.

Just a thought, i included this because it is sorta shiny discussion? and first page doesnt say anything about not being able to mention rng...so...yea o-o just a small kind of suggestion

@diamonddialgapikamew: no, wondercard pokemon will never be shiny, the only possible shiny jirachi was the american WISHMKR one that was given out a long long time ago, and yea, mine is WISHMKR, and please, whoever reading this edit, do not start the argument about WISHMKR jirachi can or cannot be shiny...its been proven and theres a thread somewhere on this forum that had the discussion

Last edited:

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?

If you want to know you can catch Tangela below One Island on Treasure Beach.

Shiny Mew2

Gunshow
with the jarachi event, can you get a shiny?

Status
Not open for further replies.