• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 4th Gen Shiny Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle Clarthy

Thanks, I enjoyed the Giratina story. I've never caught a shiny via soft reset because I always give up. I have this fear of the target exhausting all its moves and killing itself with Struggle, so I'm not sure if I would have had the patience to avoid using the Master Ball as you did.

Oh, thank you! It was really freaking me out at the end, let me tell you. I wasn't even aware at the time that Giratina has very little total PP, so I am sort of glad I didn't know that as it would have wound me up even further.

Congratulations GreatGonzales on those two shinies. Gligar is such a cool Pokemon, and yes, I know what you mean about the 3DS graphics being different ... it's a little hard to adjust to. Also, they stuffed up Gligar's colour in Platinum, I believe, so it's no wonder you really were confused about it. Lucky you had that notion that it might possibly be shiny and not just plough through it with some powerful attack or something.

And congrats on that Ursaring, MaidensGhost! Were you random encountering for it, or was it just a lucky fluke?

Last edited:

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Wow - I'm having a brief attack of luck. After only 913 encounters my 4th Platinum Badge Quest shiny has appeared...

And it's a shiny Budew! n_n

I'm really happy it was Budew that decided to shine, since Roselia is a shiny I've always wanted - I spent ages hunting for one in Ruby/Sapphire (and found many other shinies during said hunts; Zigzagoon, Volbeat and 2 Illumise), and hatched over 1000 eggs for it in Pearl.

I hope the rest of the BQ shinies appear just as quickly.

And here's how my other 4th gen hunts are going:
Heart Gold: Badge Quest/Lapras - 5200 soft resets
Soul Silver: Headbutt - 13,885 encounters

Good luck everyone! ^_^

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
Hey everyone =) I was expecting my Giratina hunt to go over the odds since my Platinum game trolled me with a 10.5 month long Piplup hunt, but after 7215 resets I have a shiny Giratina!

http://i47.*******.com/25iynut.jpg

I really wanted to catch it without my Master Ball, but when it got down to 2 PP (after escaping from 2 Premier Balls, 15 Dusk Balls, and 10 Timer Balls) I ended up just throwing the Master Ball.

It has an Impish nature, and I'll be calling it Sombra ("shadow" in Spanish, I think it sounds elegant... plus my shiny Zapdos from Soul Silver, which was leading my party, has a Spanish name).

Next up in Platinum is Palkia, which is probably my favorite Sinnoh legendary =) Congrats to Helio on your Budew, and good luck to everyone on your hunts!

EmiiLava

Joltik Queen <3
I went on a mudkip masuda method a few nights ago on 7/26/2012 and after 59 eggs IT SHINIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first shiny since Febuary which was a shiny deino after 107 eggs on White! So yeah i'll post pictures of Fusho my shiny mudkip later on. He has a quiet nature often dozes off, but I don't care xD Special attacking swampert here I come lol xD Pictures coming soon! :D

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Nice good shinies! Love the Giratina so much.

I am at 14,925 starters seen now...shine soon, please?

FullmetalPikachu

The drawing Pikachu
4 days ago I started my very first soft reset hunt for shiny Giratina, so far I'm up to 1658 resets. I hope to be able to add Giratina to my list of shinnies soon! But are there any trips that you guys can give a N00b shiny hunter that would keep her from getting discouraged?

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
^Never give up. You can put a hunt on hold for a few months or so, but always finish what you've started. It works a lot of the time. Also, have a calculator on hand, and go on Youtube and watch shiny hunters videos. For example:

shinyhunterzach
pokewaf
PureSkill740

And a ton of others. They really help you out. If you have a YT account, sub to them, as it helps you out a bit when looking for videos.

Anyways, over 15,300 Starters seen now, after nabbing over 153 SRs today. Doing nicely!

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
I'm thinking about starting a Masouda Method Shiny something. Lucario? No. It is one of the few times Lucario isn 't the best. Maybe an Eevee, so that I can get a Shiny Umbreon. So, I'm gonna start it when I get back home, and will try to update at least once each 3 days.

EDIT: Forgot to ask: Anyone has got a good place for egg-hatching? I kinda like Cycling Road, but in HG (where I will hunt) it isn 't this good. I also go a lot to that route right next to the Day-Care, so I can hold one more egg and don 't need to waste space with my Time-Traveler Dragonite (I call it this way because I got it in the GTS and the year of catch was set to 2062. I know how it really happened, yet I like dreaming about, someday, he taking me into a time-travel)

Last edited:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe my eyes. I Have finally found a shiny starter, and it happens to be a Chikorita!

I absolutely cannot believe it!!!! I must thank cocoadragon and dan2point5 for the inspiration and motivation. You two have helped me so much, I couldn't have got this without you two, thank you! It appeared after 15,552 Starters seen and 5,184 SRs! I cannot believe it at all! I don't mind it being Chikorita! Longest hunt is over!

Kyle Clarthy

4 days ago I started my very first soft reset hunt for shiny Giratina, so far I'm up to 1658 resets. I hope to be able to add Giratina to my list of shinnies soon! But are there any trips that you guys can give a N00b shiny hunter that would keep her from getting discouraged?

Good luck with that hunt, FullmetalPikachu! You've already made a fair bit of progress, so keep at it! I find it easier when I hunt to make sure I'm doing something else at the same time, whether it be listening to my ipod, watching TV/DVDs, or surfing the net. And yeah, like AquaRegisteel said, watching youtube videos of shiny hunters, especially the "live" variety, really helps, because you never know when they're going to show on the video, and when they do, you can't help but feel that infectious excitement. It's very encouraging.

Budew looks brilliant, Helio. Nice and quick hunt there for you.

Awesome job there, Rykerr! Your pics do Giratina much more justice than my 3DS ones ever would!

Congratulations to Lavaburst on their Mudkip ... very nice shiny there!

And congrats to AquaRegisteel for finally finding that Chikorita! Did you have a Chikorita before that? Will you hunt for one again?

Also, good luck to everyone hunting!

I'm just leveling up my shiny Pokes at the moment to 65, because I don't think the traded ones will obey me in HG if they get any higher. Nothing really exciting to report.

Last edited:

FullmetalPikachu

The drawing Pikachu
Zane Clarthy and AquaRegisteel I wanna thank both of you for the suggestions. I think I'm going to try the watching youtube videos!

And just a small update on my shiny Giratina hunt, I just hit 2000 resets this morning at breakfast. I'm hoping it would shiny on 3000, only because I like the number 3 :D

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
And congrats to AquaRegisteel for finally finding that Chikorita! Did you have a Chikorita before that? Will you hunt for one again?

Also, good luck to everyone hunting!

I will hunt for the other two starters, but a second Chikorita would be perfectly OK ^_^

Also, here's the images of it!:

iaza19357960270900.jpg

Walking with it!

iaza19357975498900.jpg

Summary Screen!

iaza19357956390200.jpg

In battle with it!

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now
Nice to see this thread gets more active!

I got a new 4th gen shiny too... yeah. After only 2,734 REs PLUS 10k I did in the past.

- Encounter -
- Data -

Probably will just name him Pokey :D My next hunt after this is in fifth gen in Mistralton Cave, hoping for... What do ppl usually want when they come to this cave? Definitely not for Woobat or Boldore.
My luck has been good at getting all my RE targets shone so I hope I'll get what I want it. I don't mind another Woobat (I've got 2 already) as it is my fave pokemon, or getting my first Boldore. So yeah.

Congrats Aqua on your pretty Chikorita, 5k+ is still fair, hope to see more shinies from you.
Congrats on other new shinies before and after me.

Rock this thread guys! :D

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
just got 5th shiny of my SS BQ after 1055 SR
here he is http://i48.*******.com/uo64h.jpg

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Nice Lapras there! Congrats again =P

Still going for 2,000 REs today, just hit 1,800 REs.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
Wow. Congrats, cocoadragon. I'm up to 6500+ soft resets for shiny Lapras in my own Heart Gold Badge Quest. What nature does yours have?

sorry your hunts so long i hope it shines soon :) its bashful

bashful nature was hoping for something that raises sp+ and doesnt lower speed nature but i got bashful a neutral nature the lapras wascompletely unexpected tho so i cant complain and i also wanted water absorb as ability well u dont always get what u want it looks great tho u can definitely tell the difference when u see it sliding across the screen

now im hunting magnemite at 500 REs

http://i47.*******.com/1g5gnp.jpg

Last edited:

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
Can't believe I haven't posted in the 4th Gen thread for so long...Congrats Zane, GreatGonzales, MaidensGhost, Helio, rykerr, lavaburst14, AquaRegisteel, Cutty, cocoadragon and many more on getting your shinies!

After taking a break from my 5th Gen hunts for a bit I've gone back to SRing for Groudon on Soulsilver, and I'm at 940 SRs now. I don't have a Master Ball left since I used it on Ho-oh, so I hope I'll be able to catch him okay with all the other balls I have and my False Swiper. I'd hate to accidentally faint him XO.

Good luck everyone on your hunts! :3

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
sorry your hunts so long i hope it shines soon :) its bashful

bashful nature was hoping for something that raises sp+ and doesnt lower speed nature but i got bashful a neutral nature the lapras wascompletely unexpected tho so i cant complain and i also wanted water absorb as ability well u dont always get what u want it looks great tho u can definitely tell the difference when u see it sliding across the screen

now im hunting magnemite at 500 REs

http://i47.*******.com/1g5gnp.jpg

Well I've had loads of shinies lately (especially on this BQ) that haven't taken that many SR/encounters, so I was bound to get a longish hunt sooner or later. I'm hoping for a Calm natured one. I'm now at 6700+ soft resets. Good luck with Magnemite. ^_^

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what's a Badge Quest?

It's where you catch a shiny before getting each gym badge.

Status
Not open for further replies.