• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Nope. You just need a female with the DW ability you want. The male can be any Pokemon, with any ability, except for Ditto.

Ok. So I need a female pokemon with the DW ability.

Sheevera

Fire Trainer
How do you check your pokemons IVs?

spykid

Hey guys, im doing an essay of the difficulties on EV training and I was wondering if someone could help me.

MSK

Just a quick question. When EV training, if your pokemon does not have PKRS when you go into the battle, but does when it comes out will you get 2 or 4 EV's after fighting a Stunfisk?

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Excuse sir. But is that true that Macho Brace is bad for EV training? I have plenty of EV reducing berries in case that I've done something wrong. Lately on PKMN Black/White series, whenever I caught a pokemon, I use the certain amount of vitamins like 10 Carbos, and 10 Proteins to give 100EV Speed,then 100EVAttack, then give 4 Health Wings to give 4EV HP, or give 4 Resist Wings to give 4EV Def. Then give it a pokerus,then equip it with the Macho Brace and then battle 19 Basclins for Speed,and then battle 38 Lillipups/Patrats for the Attack.

Unless I'm mistaken, Macho Brace doubles the EV that the equipped pokemon gains. As for the pokerus, it also doubles the EV during the battles with the certain pokemon for that EV training. If a pokemon equipped with the Macho Brace,and have the pokerus,it gains 8EV Speed after the battle with a Basclins. Let me know when you have the chance. O? Because I want to make sure that I'm EV train the right way.

For my Garchomp, it has the Jolly Nature. I got her as the little Gible from Pokemon Dream World. Her ability is Rough Skin. Her characteristic is that she's "Quick Tempered".

I've used 10 Carbos,and 10 Proteins to give her 100EV Speed,and 100EV Attack,and then give her 4 Health Wings to give her exact 4EV of Health. Next, she gets the pokerus,and then I equipped her with the Macho Brace,and then battle 19 Bascilns to gain 152EV Speed and then 38 Patrats/Lillipups to gain 152EV Attack. After that,then I removed Macho Brace,and I leveling her up and then she evolved all the way to Garchomp.

Right now my Garchomp's LV is at 82. Here's her current stats.

HP: 287
Attack: 293
Defense: 174
Sp. Atk: 131
Sp. Def: 159
Speed 256

Moveset:
Dragon Claw (for now) (I can teach her to learn Outrage if that's the right thing to do)
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Sword Dance

I think that Stone Edge sounds pretty helpful. It can help her take out the Ice-type,Flying-Type,Fire-type,and Bug-type pokemon. Earthquake seems to be important as to take out the Fire,Steel,Electric,Poison,and Rock type pokemon. Sword Dance can increase the Attack tenfold. Dragon Claw/Outrage/Dragon Rush is her main attack move. I could have her to relearn Dragon Rush but that would miss the target as it has the accuracy of 75%. So what do you think?
____________________________________________________________________________________________

As for one of my legendary pokemon, Keldeo who have the Timid Nature, his characteristic described him as "Very Finicky". I've EV trained him also by giving him 10 Carbos for 100EV of Speed, 10 Calciums for 100EV Sp. Atk,and 4 Health Wings for exact 4EVs for Health. Then equipped him with Macho Brace, then battled 38 Basclins for Speed,and battled 76 Litwicks/Elgyems for Sp.Atk. No pokerus on him. After that, then I remove Macho Brace from him and then leveling him up.

Here's my current stats of my Keldeo. He's currently now at Lv85.

HP: 272
Atk: 126
Def: 180
Sp. Atk: 302
Sp. Def: 181
Speed: 270

Moveset:
Substitute
Calm Mind
Secret Sword
Hydro Pump

So what do you think? I have the EV reducing berries in case if I done something wrong.

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant
Excuse sir. But is that true that Macho Brace is bad for EV training? I have plenty of EV reducing berries in case that I've done something wrong. Lately on PKMN Black/White series, whenever I caught a pokemon, I use the certain amount of vitamins like 10 Carbos, and 10 Proteins to give 100EV Speed,then 100EVAttack, then give 4 Health Wings to give 4EV HP, or give 4 Resist Wings to give 4EV Def. Then give it a pokerus,then equip it with the Macho Brace and then battle 19 Basclins for Speed,and then battle 38 Lillipups/Patrats for the Attack.

Unless I'm mistaken, Macho Brace doubles the EV that the equipped pokemon gains. As for the pokerus, it also doubles the EV during the battles with the certain pokemon for that EV training. If a pokemon equipped with the Macho Brace,and have the pokerus,it gains 8EV Speed after the battle with a Basclins. Let me know when you have the chance. O? Because I want to make sure that I'm EV train the right way.

For my Garchomp, it has the Jolly Nature. I got her as the little Gible from Pokemon Dream World. Her ability is Rough Skin. Her characteristic is that she's "Quick Tempered".

I've used 10 Carbos,and 10 Proteins to give her 100EV Speed,and 100EV Attack,and then give her 4 Health Wings to give her exact 4EV of Health. Next, she gets the pokerus,and then I equipped her with the Macho Brace,and then battle 19 Bascilns to gain 152EV Speed and then 38 Patrats/Lillipups to gain 152EV Attack. After that,then I removed Macho Brace,and I leveling her up and then she evolved all the way to Garchomp.

Right now my Garchomp's LV is at 82. Here's her current stats.

HP: 287
Attack: 293
Defense: 174
Sp. Atk: 131
Sp. Def: 159
Speed 256

Moveset:
Dragon Claw (for now) (I can teach her to learn Outrage if that's the right thing to do)
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Sword Dance

I think that Stone Edge sounds pretty helpful. It can help her take out the Ice-type,Flying-Type,Fire-type,and Bug-type pokemon. Earthquake seems to be important as to take out the Fire,Steel,Electric,Poison,and Rock type pokemon. Sword Dance can increase the Attack tenfold. Dragon Claw/Outrage/Dragon Rush is her main attack move. I could have her to relearn Dragon Rush but that would miss the target as it has the accuracy of 75%. So what do you think?
____________________________________________________________________________________________

As for one of my legendary pokemon, Keldeo who have the Timid Nature, his characteristic described him as "Very Finicky". I've EV trained him also by giving him 10 Carbos for 100EV of Speed, 10 Calciums for 100EV Sp. Atk,and 4 Health Wings for exact 4EVs for Health. Then equipped him with Macho Brace, then battled 38 Basclins for Speed,and battled 76 Litwicks/Elgyems for Sp.Atk. No pokerus on him. After that, then I remove Macho Brace from him and then leveling him up.

Here's my current stats of my Keldeo. He's currently now at Lv85.

HP: 272
Atk: 126
Def: 180
Sp. Atk: 302
Sp. Def: 181
Speed: 270

Moveset:
Substitute
Calm Mind
Secret Sword
Hydro Pump

So what do you think? I have the EV reducing berries in case if I done something wrong.

look macho brace isn't bad...it only increases the ev yeild by a pokemon by 2x
that is if you get 1 speed ev from zubat w/o macho brace
then you'll get 2 ev on speed w/ macho brace...!
READ THIS

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
look macho brace isn't bad...it only increases the ev yeild by a pokemon by 2x
that is if you get 1 speed ev from zubat w/o macho brace
then you'll get 2 ev on speed w/ macho brace...!
READ THIS

Ok, I've seen these methods of EV training. But more importantly, I like to know if I have EV'ed my pokemon the right way or not. I've used the pokerus,and the Macho Brace combo. I have the EV reducing berries just in case I done it wrong.

Last edited:

BlazeTorchic

Just A Trainer
I'm currently EV training my Adamant male Dewott (I started EV training when he was an Oshawott lv.1 though ;) ). I'm going for 252Attack/252Speed/4HP EV's. I'm planning to use him competitively, and I'm trying to make a good moveset for him as well... suggestions for movesets would be really helpful! This is my first time EV training so I'm hoping I've got it right... I'm using the Macho Brace, so Herdiers give 4 EV's and Watchogs give 2. I'm making a tally chart of how many EV's he's got until he reaches 152, and then I'm going to buy 10 Protein's to increase the EV number to 252, right? Then do the same with Speed, and then HP, apart from with HP I only need to battle/use four wings... yeah?

I hope I've got this right! If not, could someone please tell me? Thankyou :)

Just realised that I need to give Dewott the Protein first before I EV trained, so I only got to give him 6 instead of 10... Oh well :( Good luck guys!

Last edited:

punkypow

I'm working to get my black kyurem but I'm kind of confused on how its nature its going to come out. I'm want an adamant black kyurem how can I get the kyurem with the nature and the IV's I want? can somebody help me?

kezlehan

Quick question if that's ok. I just got the game but am experienced in the other Pokemon games. I never got in to EV training though and want to do it this time round with my Black Version 1 game. Just wondered as a newbie EV trainer, when about's in the game would you recommend starting to figure out how to do it? Should I just enjoy the game first and wait until I've completed it? Or should I try EV training as I go along?

Sorry this has probably been asked before...

SmellYaLater

Quick question if that's ok. I just got the game but am experienced in the other Pokemon games. I never got in to EV training though and want to do it this time round with my Black Version 1 game. Just wondered as a newbie EV trainer, when about's in the game would you recommend starting to figure out how to do it? Should I just enjoy the game first and wait until I've completed it? Or should I try EV training as I go along?

Sorry this has probably been asked before...

If i were you, i would wait till the game is completed then begin ev training because you don't really know what Pokemon you will encounter that give you the right Ev's for the right Pokemon.
However if you do have a Pokemon with a strong nature that looks good to train, wait till you've finished the game then use ev berries which help take away 10 Ev's for every berry used in each stat. The only downside with this is you'll only be able to obtain them in the dream world and that can be difficult. So its best really to start fresh when you have finished the game. The berries are Pomeg Berry, Qualot Berry, Hondew Berry, Grepa Berry and the Tamato Berry.

Hope this helped! :)

EmperorK

Hi guys, I'm new to the EV scene. I have black 2. As I understand it, gen 5 allows EV changes at level 100, but I have a couple of issues with this.

As far as I am aware, you cannot reduce HP itself, so why not purely HP EV train to level 100, then take HP EV reducing berries down to zero, then retrain all the other EV while avoiding HP, and all the while, the HP itself remains maxed out! (Or am I wrong? Can HP actually go down?)

My other issue, is that when you get to 510 EV (or whatever the total maximum is), and you continue to battle, what happens? Nothing? Should I take berries to reduce a certain EV then EV train again to reallocate the freed up points?

Guys, thanks very much in advance for your help on this. I wish somebody had put the answers to these questions in some of the guides I have tried to google!

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
Hi guys, I'm new to the EV scene. I have black 2. As I understand it, gen 5 allows EV changes at level 100, but I have a couple of issues with this.

As far as I am aware, you cannot reduce HP itself, so why not purely HP EV train to level 100, then take HP EV reducing berries down to zero, then retrain all the other EV while avoiding HP, and all the while, the HP itself remains maxed out! (Or am I wrong? Can HP actually go down?)

My other issue, is that when you get to 510 EV (or whatever the total maximum is), and you continue to battle, what happens? Nothing? Should I take berries to reduce a certain EV then EV train again to reallocate the freed up points?

Guys, thanks very much in advance for your help on this. I wish somebody had put the answers to these questions in some of the guides I have tried to google!

Nope, HP goes down just like every other stat with HP reducing berries afaik.

After you use the 510 EVs, nothing happens. You can't gain anymore EVs, so you won't get anymore. Reducing the EVs of one and adding it to something else works fine if you want the EVs in another stat, but removing the EVs means you won't have the stat changes anymore.

EmperorK

Nope, HP goes down just like every other stat with HP reducing berries afaik.

After you use the 510 EVs, nothing happens. You can't gain anymore EVs, so you won't get anymore. Reducing the EVs of one and adding it to something else works fine if you want the EVs in another stat, but removing the EVs means you won't have the stat changes anymore.

thanks for that....

...by the way, what happens to EVs in GTS random matchup if your pokemon are over level 50?

And another question. If I had 2 identical level 2 pokemon with the same IV who had never battled, trained one up through battling to level 100 and used just rare candied the other to level 100 with zero battles, then EV trained/reduced/adjusted so that their EV are the same, would they be identical or would one be stronger than the other?

Last edited:

mapijs

i want to catch a strong virizion, what iv's should i look for? i found one with 4 25+'s but speed and attack were way too low...
26 - 27
4 - 5
26 - 27
25 - 27
23 - 25
1 - 3

RussianBoss

I know that they changed EV in Pokemon Black and now they add 1 point to your stat for every for EV you have in that stat after each battle. I have a level 34 Vullaby that I never trained before and started EV training on Patrats and Lilipups that give 1 Attack EV. I defeated at least 20 of them and my Attack stat only raised by 2 points. Why not 5 like it should??

Also I read that you need to get 8 EV for every 1 stat point at level 50 and it drops to 4 at level 100. Does that mean I am not using EV efficiently by training at lower levels? If anyone can clear both these problems up I'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

garretslarrity

Unova Champion
I know that they changed EV in Pokemon Black and now they add 1 point to your stat for every for EV you have in that stat after each battle. I have a level 34 Vullaby that I never trained before and started EV training on Patrats and Lilipups that give 1 Attack EV. I defeated at least 20 of them and my Attack stat only raised by 2 points. Why not 5 like it should??

Also I read that you need to get 8 EV for every 1 stat point at level 50 and it drops to 4 at level 100. Does that mean I am not using EV efficiently by training at lower levels? If anyone can clear both these problems up I'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Leveling up increases your stats proportionally. It does not matter at what level your Pokemon are when you EV train. When your Pokemon reach level 100, you will see that every 4 EVs will add 1 stat point.

Status
Not open for further replies.